operation p.a.w. ;; don't let the howls stop

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

New Thread!

Yay! *Throws Confetti*
48%
*sniffs* New Thread Smell! <3
32%
We Didn't Need a New Thread! :U
12%
Thank Goodnes, way to Much Spam in the Old One....
8%

Total votes : 818

Re: operation p.a.w. ;; don't let the howls stop

Postby sweater » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:30 pm

kombucha wrote:
Ƭнɛ Ɔяʏιиɢ Ɖɛα∂ wrote:
Moonlight Forest wrote:I feel like im the only person who understands anything! Im not going to kill you for taking down one or two but ive seen pics where they killed entire packs! And it sounds like you all just dont care about wolves being killed! Those who are truly devoted to them would never hurt them on purpose and would stand up for them no matter what!

I EXTREMELY agree with you on this one. I think starving wolves should be taken to sanctuaries, not killed. Wolves are a lot like us, but do people kill humans because there's 'too many'? No.
Starving wolves should be fed, fostered, tamed if possible. The only time someone should EVER kill a wolf is if the wolf seriously hurt/killed a human. The thing is, you wouldn't be the same if you killed the hunters. Hunters are humans, they are not innocent. Most humans aren't. Like seriously, wolves are not THAT different from us. They eat, they raise families, they have fun. They even communicate with eachother!
Animals DO comprehend pain, sadness, they ARE like humans, and DO feel the same emotions we do!

I believe you are right.

while i do agree with a few of your points, i disagree with one or two things, since it's a little extreme (sorry sorry sorry don't take this the wrong way). this is gonna be long, too, sorry!

okay. first of all what moonlight forest described was again poaching, not hunting, which people consistently tend to mix up and vilify on this thread. the main reasons we can't take starving wolves to sanctuaries is 1) lack of resources, 2) general danger for whoever's going out to get the animal, as well as the animal itself, and 3) a general upset of the food pyramid.

money doesn't grow on trees, and if we were to find every single starving wolf, not only would it be far too time-consuming, we simply don't have enough money to feed them .

also, there's simply not enough space, and patchworking packs of wolves together is dangerous for the animals as well, not to mention that you could be basically scooping up an animal (likely part of an existing pack, which could mean taking it away from its family and preventing it from providing food for its offspring etc.), taking it into captivity (which could put even more stress on the animal), and plopping it back (maybe not even in the right area; it might not be able to find the rest of its pack, either).

this also assumes that when the wolf returns, it'd be in the same place of "power" in it's pack, which is not the case, assuming they'd even accept it back.

when an animal is stressed out and starving, as well as a predator, it is not safe for people to go out and track it down. wolves are not going to be magically tame, and putting them together with other wolves that are strangers to them isn't safe either. this is also completely disregarding the point where you said to tame them. as cool as it would be to have a wild animal as a pet, its also really. a "tame" wolf is still a wolf, no matter how docile it seems to be. we can see this even with wolf-dog mixes, which still get a bad rep for being unsafe. you can't just take an animal out of its habitat and train it in a strange place and expect it to be 100% healthy and not stressed out.

on my third point, this is not healthy for the environment. sure, you might like wolves, and you might think having more of them is great, but the food chain doesn't really have that same idea. wolves eat deer, so more wolves means less deer. this isn't a bad thing, but if more wolves eat the deer, there's going to be less deer. this means more wolves go hungry, so let's say we take a bunch of starving wolves out. when the deer and wolf population gets big again, we put the wolves back in. no problem, right? no, big problemo. now, we suddenly have even more wolves than before, but still roughly the same amount of deer. this means that the deer population collapses in that area (no more deer ever) or very little deer. as a result, even if we take out wolves and feed them, not only will they be less prepared to deal with this food shortage, there's also less deer and more wolves to feed, which means it's going to take a lot longer for both populations to get back up again. but what goes down when this happens? wolves start looking for food in other places, which means wolves wander into farms and areas with a lot of people. this means that not only are wolves hurt, but this mean more people could get attacked by wolves. i don't care how much you might love wolves, but if it comes down to pick a wolf or a human being, i'm going to go with the person.

next point, people don't kill people because there's too many because that's really unethical, and as much as you may hate for me to say it, even though wolves are vaguely similar to people in raising families, having fun, et al, people have that and so much more. not saying people aren't innocent, but wolves aren't automatically "better" because of it (wolves are maybe even less innocent?). hunters don't kill just to kill, no matter how heartless you want to make them seem, and hunters are just as human as the rest of us. no matter how similar wolves are to us, it's not "heartless" or terrible to kill wolves legally and ethically. it's more than a little hypocritical to only defend wolves if you're trying to play the "they're just like us!!!" card, too. chimpanzees have around zero differences in the amino acid coding of their hemoglobin (basically what their blood is made of), and have many similarities in their actions (raising families, having fun, et. al) to us, but we don't see people touting that around, even though we are even more similar to them.

animals may have the same feelings we do, but people still have to eat, and there's nothing wrong with killing an animal legally for any reason. people have to eat, people have to pay the bills, people have to raise their own families. even if i kill an animal legally and don't use every part myself (i.e. selling it), i'm still taking care of my own family with the money and honoring the animal to an extent. laws are in place to keep the population stable and make sure the animal is in as little pain as possible (illegal traps are painful or cruel to the animal, that's why they're illegal!), so there is literally no justification that killing a wolf legally is wrong. hunters don't just shoot a wolf and toss out the body, and if you think that's true, you need to check your facts before you condemn a group of people.

TLDR; hunting when you follow the law makes sure that an animal is in little to no pain and that the population is not significantly hurt. taking animals out of the wild is dangerous to begin with, and taking the starving wolves to a sanctuary is not helpful. hunters and humans are not heartless, are not worth less than wolves or any other animal, and should not be killed in favor of wolves or any other animal.

(if you're gonna fight with me based on the tldr at least read the other part u memer)

^^^^^ THIS, omg. I agree with this wholeheartedly. you put it really nicely!

also, there's one thing that you didn't make too clear in there that I'd like to add. scientific studies studies show that animals do not feel the same emotions we do; just simplified versions. animals can't really comprehend love, death and life, so if a hunter were to shoot a wolf's mate or something, it wouldn't understand that it's dead and gone forever. they might feel a passing sadness, and recognize that it's dead, but they'll carry on and forget completely. they can feel basic emotions, like pain, sadness and joy, sure. but CERTAINLY not the extent we can. they're like us in some ways, but we're so different in others. it's not really fair to say, "oh, animals are just like us, so why aren't we killing off humans?" humans are the dominant species on earth because they're the most intelligent, and can comprehend emotions and have the most complex feelings. not to mention that killing people would be a crime, but I'm sure that you weren't making an actual suggestion by saying that.
sweater

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby guroboss » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:47 am

when i wrote that, i was half asleep, sorry! but yeah, i didn't mean that people were terrible or that we're no better than animals. i just meant to say that we shouldn't value the life of an animal as being higher than a person, and saying that people should die or be hurt for hunting (along with anything regarding genocide of the human race, esp. when people draw parallels to hunting animals due to overpopulation in general) is pretty terrible and gross. sorry for my vague wording in the original!

friday. they/she. bi. adult. istp.
⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤ᦸᦸᦸᦸᦸᦸ☎
𝙙𝙤 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚 𝙨𝙘𝙖𝙧𝙮 𝙢𝙤𝙫𝙞𝙚𝙨? 𝙬𝙝𝙖𝙩❜𝙨 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙛𝙖𝙫𝙤𝙧𝙞𝙩𝙚?
playing: bg3 // watching: tokyo ghoul⏤⏤ spotify. toyhouse.

📌naming all my pets!
📌current count:
847!
guroboss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thestormwitch » Fri May 09, 2014 5:34 pm

HEy!! I haven't been here forever. I'm not reading all you wrote, I just know its still a debate about killing starving wolves or something.(ets?) (This thread never changes :lol: ) I know I have weird opinions. Just a heads up. No one can chance them. Okay, here goes
I am a very natural no-guns-hippie. I don't think humans should consider themselves as having more power over the earth.
I don't think humans should get involved to much with saving wolves from things out in the wild.
I don't think that you should kill them just because they are having a hard time,starving, sickness. I also don't really care if you do or don't go and save them. The world worked pretty well before people. So I don't think humans should pretend to be in charge of all animal population if they really aren't. And yes. Before humans 'took control' Some animals became extinct. Survival of the fittest.. Things changed and evolved.

Now, i'm not against hunting(to a point). Because that is what a lot of animals do. Now I'm not going to get into poaching. I think its fine if you need food. Yeah, go hunt. But I don't really like going and killing the animals if they are bothering you in one way or another. I mean, if it's threatening your life..
I don't really like the argument about wolves bothering livestock. Because most of the time the person raising the animals are selling them. For meat or leather ets. And it upsets me when they will go hunt down the pack that is bothering the cows. Because a killled cow just means money lost for the rancher.

And hey, the wolf was just trying to stay alive. So is mister rancher :ugeek:

Even if the rancher/hunter that killed the wolves bothering the cows uses the meat, fur, bones from the wolf. I still am against it in a way I can't explain very well.
I know I did an awful job at putting my thoughts to writing.

My main point is that i don't think humans should find themselves in the position to protect what is naturally happening.
But if the animals are dying of habitat loss, hunting or poaching, that would be humans fault. And it would only be fair to help out.
NOT BY KILLING THEM.

There really is no point in arguing with me because I only check this thread about 3 times a year. I just got sick of this endless debate that no ones opinions get changed with. But if you can't help pointing out something you don't agree with, whatever. But I probably won't read it. IDK you might get lucky :P

Actually what I wrote is most likely really hard for someone to understand. I'm terrible at words :cry: thats why I have LOTS OF THOUGHTS
"Nature is only wild to those who separate themselves from her." -Raven Grimassi
Thestormwitch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sweater » Fri May 09, 2014 6:53 pm

kombucha wrote:when i wrote that, i was half asleep, sorry! but yeah, i didn't mean that people were terrible or that we're no better than animals. i just meant to say that we shouldn't value the life of an animal as being higher than a person, and saying that people should die or be hurt for hunting (along with anything regarding genocide of the human race, esp. when people draw parallels to hunting animals due to overpopulation in general) is pretty terrible and gross. sorry for my vague wording in the original!

oh, no, I actually worded my post really weirdly too aha. ;0; I think your post was written really well, and I agreed with literally everything said. anything I stated that I did not agree with was aimed at moonlight. c:

and penguin, I agree and then again do not agree with many of your points. you're completely entitled to your opinion, and I think yours is pretty reasonable! uwu nooo big long argument from me here, lol.
sweater

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Xelly » Sat May 10, 2014 2:00 am

[Apologies if this seems slightly irrelevant at the moment, BUT...]

On my Birthday (25th of March) my friends got together and got me probably one of the best gifts ever; they adopted a wolf in my name. Aaaaaages ago, back when I was a much more frequent poster on this thread, I vowed I'd adopt a wolf someday, and now I have!
I have a little certificate that proves it, as well as some cool fact sheets and a plushie of a wolf. :3
Oh, the wolf that my friends adopted for me is a Mexican Gray Wolf.

ANYWAYS! Sorry if I interrupted any conversation/debate going on. Just wanted to say what I said; it's not completely irrelevant! This thread is about the protection of wolves anyways. :3
|| Xelly ||
I was DragonDance before, and I may change it back, so please do not take the name. Thank you. <3

Heya folks! I'm a big fan of Kingdom Hearts. I have a slight obsession with wolves and dragons AND... You can find me on Flight Rising as Xelly as well - I'm more active there. :)
Have a lovely day! Toodles!

ImageImage
Xelly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DarkMidnight » Sun May 25, 2014 2:36 am

Poor wolves , whenever someone talks about nature and some person says , "Whatever..." , i feel my heart break :(
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
DarkMidnight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby stxrdog » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:47 am

I'm sorry if you don't like my opinion,
there is many kids that don't really know what they are talking about.
I think that hunters have rights and they can hunt but I just would never hunt. I just would never shoot an animal.
I just don't like animals dead. but does that really mean that I hate hunters and wolves? nah it doesn't.
I think most of the people educated on wolves and hunting would agree with me on this.
stxrdog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daria008 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:46 pm

I, Daria008, will dedicate myself to helping wolves have a better future. I swear to give my all in protecting these beautiful creatures, and will help in anyway I can.

Daria008

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Manximillion » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:20 am

I, SmexyFinnyMan, will dedicate myself to helping wolves have a better future. I swear to give my all in protecting these beautiful creatures, and will help in anyway I can.
Manximillion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kittykore » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:01 am

I, MimiBitz, will dedicate myself to helping wolves have a better future. I swear to give my all in protecting these beautiful creatures, and will help in anyway I can.
──-────────────────────
bio bio bio bio bio bio bio bio bio bio bio bio bio

────────────────────-──
███░█████████████████ █
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
███░█████████████████ █
──-────────────────────