Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby Jun. » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:04 am

What are some good companion animals for cats?
I have an almost 2 year old tortie named Yuki, and have raised her alongside 2 different rabbits (she was very bonded to both of them, especially my holland lop), but my last boy recently passed away and Yuki was pretty upset.
I'm personally not ready for another rabbit, but I would love to get another friend for Yuki. I currently can't get another cat, and the 2 family cats in the house don't like her very much. I'm kind of limited on what animals I can get right now (no rodents other than rabbits, no cats, no dogs), so are there any other options?

(just for reference, I play with her everyday as much as I possibly can and always include her in crafts/cooking, so it's not like she's bored, but she has pretty bad anxiety from a kittenhood trauma and used to have pretty bad separation anxiety. She was a lot better about it when I had rabbits, but I've noticed now she's been a bit more clingy like when I first got her)
Yo, I'm Jun--I'm into cats
pomeranians and kpop
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DA
Currently listening to:
DPR Ian
Jun.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:03 am

Jun. wrote:What are some good companion animals for cats?
I have an almost 2 year old tortie named Yuki, and have raised her alongside 2 different rabbits (she was very bonded to both of them, especially my holland lop), but my last boy recently passed away and Yuki was pretty upset.
I'm personally not ready for another rabbit, but I would love to get another friend for Yuki. I currently can't get another cat, and the 2 family cats in the house don't like her very much. I'm kind of limited on what animals I can get right now (no rodents other than rabbits, no cats, no dogs), so are there any other options?

(just for reference, I play with her everyday as much as I possibly can and always include her in crafts/cooking, so it's not like she's bored, but she has pretty bad anxiety from a kittenhood trauma and used to have pretty bad separation anxiety. She was a lot better about it when I had rabbits, but I've noticed now she's been a bit more clingy like when I first got her)

Unfortunately, there's not many options aside from the ones you've already listed; cats, dogs, and rabbits. Any other animal would be too small or fearful of a cat to bond with one. The only other one I could think of is maybe a ferret or a rat, but there's still too much risk involved if they don't get along, plus both ferrets and rats need a lot of extra care and attention, and you've mentioned that you can't have any rodents anyway so rats wouldn't work.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jun. » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:06 am

Queenie! wrote:

Unfortunately, there's not many options aside from the ones you've already listed; cats, dogs, and rabbits. Any other animal would be too small or fearful of a cat to bond with one. The only other one I could think of is maybe a ferret or a rat, but there's still too much risk involved if they don't get along, plus both ferrets and rats need a lot of extra care and attention, and you've mentioned that you can't have any rodents anyway so rats wouldn't work.

Ah mmk, thank you ^^
pomeranians and kpop
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DA
Currently listening to:
DPR Ian
Jun.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:09 am

Jun. wrote:
Queenie! wrote:

Ah mmk, thank you ^^

Have you considered looking into other ways to help her anxiety? There's a special vest you can buy for cats, I believe the more well-known brand is "Thunder Shirt", it's supposed to provide pressure therapy and calm the cat down. Interactive puzzle toys would also help her, for when she has to be alone, so she has something to occupy her mind.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jun. » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:37 am

Queenie! wrote:Have you considered looking into other ways to help her anxiety? There's a special vest you can buy for cats, I believe the more well-known brand is "Thunder Shirt", it's supposed to provide pressure therapy and calm the cat down. Interactive puzzle toys would also help her, for when she has to be alone, so she has something to occupy her mind.

I've been doing simple exposure therapy, and it's definitely helped her to be less nervous. I'll look into the vest/toys too.
Thanks for the suggestions ^^
pomeranians and kpop
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DA
Currently listening to:
DPR Ian
Jun.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:42 am

My kitten is such a doll. She slept on my chest for an entire movie. If y'all want a super affectionate cat, get a sphynx! Fun fact, they are often called hairless cats, but they aren't hairless, nor are they hypoallergenic.
Last edited by gamorasass on Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby StormingPanther » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:52 am

I have a calico named Lilac. I've had her for two years now, and what an energetic cat she is! When I first saw her at the shelter, I begged my sister to let us get her, since we both had to agree on one cat, as part of our early birthday gift.

She has a broken tail tip and a small scar on her left eye (before she was in the shelter she got into a lot of fights on the streets), like right on the eyeball itself. She isn't blind, but that eye weeps constantly. Lilac also has a bit of a snot problem, most of the time her nose gets clogged and we have to clean out as much as we can, plus when she sneezes it goes everywhere, so our walls have quite a lot of dried goop on them xD

She also likes to zoom around at the speed of light 24/7, whether it is to run away from us or just for no reason. I can't count the amount of times she's almost tripped me by running in front of me while I was walking

Anyway, I love her very much, and thought to share her with the people of CS, maybe I'll send in a picture soon <3
StormingPanther

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wolfumus » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:07 am

Hello! I am in need of some advice. I currently have the opportunity to get a kitten for free, spaying included. The only thing is, I need help convincing my dad. I absolutely love cats and am making a list of reasons why I should be allowed to have a cat. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks! God bless! :D
She/Her or He/Him | Androgynous Female | Bisexual | Adult | OCD & PTSD
Things will get better, I promise. You're doing great!
Wolfumus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:38 am

Wolfumus wrote:Hello! I am in need of some advice. I currently have the opportunity to get a kitten for free, spaying included. The only thing is, I need help convincing my dad. I absolutely love cats and am making a list of reasons why I should be allowed to have a cat. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks! God bless! :D
      You could write your Dad a letter explaining the reasons why you'd like the kitten and how you would help care for it. When I wanted to get pet rats, I made a PowerPoint presentation to show my parents. They were pretty impressed with my effort and let me get them. I'm also an adult and had a job, so it was no problem for my to afford them, so maybe you could suggest you'll exchange extra chores in order to help pay for the expenses of the cat if you don't have a job. If you want some help with a letter or presentation, please feel free to PM me if you decide to go that route! Best of luck!

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jun. » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:47 am

Wolfumus wrote:Hello! I am in need of some advice. I currently have the opportunity to get a kitten for free, spaying included. The only thing is, I need help convincing my dad. I absolutely love cats and am making a list of reasons why I should be allowed to have a cat. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks! God bless! :D

I honestly just bribed my parents to let me get my bab (promised to keep the house clean until I moved out), and having a job definitely helped.
Just be sure to do a lot of research before your get a cat, they're a lot more work (and more expensive) than most people think.
pomeranians and kpop
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DA
Currently listening to:
DPR Ian
Jun.

My pets
My items
My wishlist