Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby Crossflare » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:50 am

My cats are all indoor we have coyotes in the area. None of yhrm touched it last time we bought any pet grass.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tūī » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:50 am

This isn't exactly medical advice, so I need help.
      My cat, Milo, got stitches in his paw yesterday and has a cast on. The vet told us he needed a cone, but I woke up this morning, he had shaken the cone off (this is three times now) and he keeps licking the cast! I don't know how to get the cone back on, or how to prevent him from licking the cast.
      Also I'm so tired rn because yesterday, after being brought home from surgery he shook both the cast and cone off, so I had to go with my mum all the way to the emergency vet thing, and we stayed there for about 2 and a half hours? Up until 10:30-ish. Then I woke up at 5:30 to my cat mewing at my door, so I opened it, he waddled in, was about to jump onto my bed but I had to pick him up instead. He then decided to rest on my pillow so I could get no further sleep.
tūī

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:29 am

Glim ☽ wrote:
      This isn't exactly medical advice, so I need help.
      My cat, Milo, got stitches in his paw yesterday and has a cast on. The vet told us he needed a cone, but I woke up this morning, he had shaken the cone off (this is three times now) and he keeps licking the cast! I don't know how to get the cone back on, or how to prevent him from licking the cast.
      Also I'm so tired rn because yesterday, after being brought home from surgery he shook both the cast and cone off, so I had to go with my mum all the way to the emergency vet thing, and we stayed there for about 2 and a half hours? Up until 10:30-ish. Then I woke up at 5:30 to my cat mewing at my door, so I opened it, he waddled in, was about to jump onto my bed but I had to pick him up instead. He then decided to rest on my pillow so I could get no further sleep.

You could try pulling a sock on over his cast and secure it with a hair band or rubber band. If he won't keep his cone on, that's probably going to be your next best option.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gizmutt » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:00 am

Go figure. The cat that I thought would absolutely hate my new puppy, like, or more accurately is totally indifferent.

I had the puppy in his room (forgot I only left the baby gate up, did shut the door x| ) while I showered. Found my big cat, who has shown aggression toward strange animals just lounging in the middle of the floor. Pup was asleep on his blanket, no scratches or anything (I checked pretty throughly) and he didn’t show any signs of fear of the cat. While I fully intend to better separate them for a while longer this gives me hope. Meanwhile, the cat I thought might be interested has hardly left my room since I brought the dog home. 🤷‍♀️
So say goodbye to the old, and hello to that rainbow road ...
Gizmutt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:53 am

Last edited by Crossflare on Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:11 pm

Captain Thomas Lasky wrote:
Flerken. wrote:Go figure. The cat that I thought would absolutely hate my new puppy, like, or more accurately is totally indifferent.

I had the puppy in his room (forgot I only left the baby gate up, did shut the door x| ) while I showered. Found my big cat, who has shown aggression toward strange animals just lounging in the middle of the floor. Pup was asleep on his blanket, no scratches or anything (I checked pretty throughly) and he didn’t show any signs of fear of the cat. While I fully intend to better separate them for a while longer this gives me hope. Meanwhile, the cat I thought might be interested has hardly left my room since I brought the dog home. 🤷‍♀️

it's a puppy not a full grown dog. Of course the cats aren't going go after without it provoking them. Have you never had dogs and cats in same household they do pretty well together contrary popular belief cats do not think dogs are the enemy there is no rivalry among them and I find it absurd you assumed that your cat would attack a puppy. Like dude unless the puppy tried to bite the cat I seriously doubt your cats are going to attack a puppy.

Like sure you can't put all dogs together with cats but a puppy who hasn't learned what a cat is. Will just grow accustomed to the fact that you have cats it's young and since it's probably going to grow up around cats it's not exactly going to try and hurt them.

I'm sorry, but I feel like you're being a bit rude with your reply and I have to step in.
Yes, cats can be aggressive to dogs, even puppies, without being provoked. Some cats are fiercely territorial, so whenever they find something in "their territory" that they don't want to be there, often times they'll attack them to make them go away. There are plenty of videos online of cats attacking dogs and other animals unprovoked to prove that. My own cat will sometimes lash out at my dog if she feels like her space is being invaded, even if the dog is across the room and not even paying attention to her. Flerken is completely justified in their apprehensiveness about the two animals being together in the same room.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:30 pm

I'm sorry you feel that way considering I own three cats and have never had an issue in future please do not attack me for what is my experience.

And I won't be posting on this thread any longer, considering that my advice is unwanted to therefore being dismissed So i'll just take my information elsewhere and let you people spread your misinformation based on videos that may or may not have other factors at play.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:41 pm

Captain Thomas Lasky wrote:I'm sorry you feel that way considering I own three cats and have never had an issue in future please do not attack me for what is my experience.

And I won't be posting on this thread any longer, considering that my advice is unwanted to therefore being dismissed So i'll just take my information elsewhere and let you people spread your misinformation based on videos that may or may not have other factors at play.

I wasn't attacking you, I was trying to explain that just because your own experience with cats and dogs being together hasn't had any negative effects, doesn't mean that all cats are going to be that way. You don't know Flerken's cats, you don't know their personalities or temperaments, so trying to interject and say that they're unjustified in their worry came across as rude. There was no misinformation, I've had my own experiences with my animals and have heard stories from many other people having similar experiences. You can't just assume that every other cat is going to be the same as yours, that's all I was trying to say.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:45 pm

Captain Thomas Lasky wrote:I'm sorry you feel that way considering I own three cats and have never had an issue in future please do not attack me for what is my experience.

wow,,
it's a completely reasonable fear that a pet would have a hard time adjusting to a new pet, especially if said pet hasn't lived with other animals before. There's really no reason to be so aggressive.
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zan | NB | they/them | pan/ace
xxxxxx lgbtq+ | atheist | satanist | artist xxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gizmutt » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:19 am

As I stated in the first post, this particular cat has shown signs of aggression in the past. It is not so much the dog hurting the cat that I am worried about, as I am the cat hurting the dog.

From prior to experience it took my older cat roughly 2 weeks to even get comfortable with the idea of another animal in the house, let alone interact. She seems to have adjusted very quickly this time around.

On the other hand. The cat that did adjust well the last two times, is having a very hard time adjusting this time around. Each animal & situation is different. I would rather err on the side of caution than use a laissez faire attitude and expect them all to get along, only to have to pay dearly later.
So say goodbye to the old, and hello to that rainbow road ...
Gizmutt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me