Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:54 am

ru. wrote:Hello! I’m not breeding a cat or anything. I am just curious about two hypothetical situations because this is what I like to waste time thinking about I guess. (*All real life cats in this scenario are spayed/neutered so nothing is actually happening)

My friend has a spayed marbled silver Bengal (from a reputable breeder so Bengals as far back as they know). I have a neutered flame point Ragdoll mix (Spike). My parents have a red/orange mackerel tabby (Cheese) that was dumped at their house so his history is a mystery.

{I fostered Spike’s mom and the litter. His mom was a seal point tortoiseshell cat. His dad couldn’t be saidfor sure because it was from a hoarding situation but all of the cats that were hoarded were Ragdoll or Siamese mix. All of Spike’s siblings were flame-point or lynx-point except for one sister who was a black/brown mackerel tabby)

What coat/color types would be possible outcomes in a litter with the silver marbled Bengal and Spike?

What coat/color types would be possible outcomes in a litter between the Bengal and Cheese?

Thank you! I know this is weird 😂

Because Spike's and Cheese's lineage are a mystery, there's a multitude of coat and color types that might occur. Spike's might be a little easier to predict, there would probably be a decent mix of various siamese colorations and maybe a bengal or two. I'm not too well-versed on dominant and recessive traits so I can't really speak too much on that. Cheese would be a complete mystery, for sure. A friend of mine has a white and black spotted female, she's had a couple of litters with stray cats in the past and her kittens were definitely a mixed bag. She had calicos, both regular and dilute, white and black spotted like her, tuxedos, gingers, even a little gray kitten. When it comes to cats like that, you really can't be sure what you're gonna end up with.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blazesong » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:45 pm

ru. wrote:Hello! I’m not breeding a cat or anything. I am just curious about two hypothetical situations because this is what I like to waste time thinking about I guess. (*All real life cats in this scenario are spayed/neutered so nothing is actually happening)

My friend has a spayed marbled silver Bengal (from a reputable breeder so Bengals as far back as they know). I have a neutered flame point Ragdoll mix (Spike). My parents have a red/orange mackerel tabby (Cheese) that was dumped at their house so his history is a mystery.

{I fostered Spike’s mom and the litter. His mom was a seal point tortoiseshell cat. His dad couldn’t be saidfor sure because it was from a hoarding situation but all of the cats that were hoarded were Ragdoll or Siamese mix. All of Spike’s siblings were flame-point or lynx-point except for one sister who was a black/brown mackerel tabby)

What coat/color types would be possible outcomes in a litter with the silver marbled Bengal and Spike?

What coat/color types would be possible outcomes in a litter between the Bengal and Cheese?

Thank you! I know this is weird 😂

Bengal ooB_ddTTC_

with out knowing bloodlines it can be hard, the bengal we know cant be orange so oo, but we dont know if she has history of cinnamon or chocolate so we cant be sure what to put for that , since shes a silver we can say shes atleast B_, we know shes a dilute so dd, i cant remember how tabby works in bengals but lets just say TT since all the bengals and there crosses iv seen are tabby in some way and then there is the color point , since we know shes not one we put in C but we don't know if she has any color point in her history so we need to leave a blank

spike OBBD_Ttcscs
Spike is a little bit easyer O because hes ginger, as you said he had a black tabby sister saying black tabby for less confushion we can have a guess he is atleast B but as we know his sibs are not chocolate or cinnamon id say hes BB almost for sure so we will give him that, no dilute so we give him a D but we again dont know his family line so we have to leave a blank. hes ginger so we cant tell his tabby genetics just from him but since all black siblings where some kind of tabby id think its safe to say he has the gene ,while the mother you didnt give tabby info for ill assume she did not have it so we give him Tt and because hes a color point we give him cscs

OBBD_ __C_
cheese is the one we have less info on, again a ginger so O and since hes a stray i feel safe in saying there is not cinnamon or chocolate so we will give him a BB, with no known family we cant tell if hes a true tabby or a 'soild ginger' (gingers allways show tabby even if the gene isnt there) so we have to give him _ _ for that as well as D_ for dilute as we have no info on that other than hes not dilute for color point gene we give him a C_ as again we dont know his history

not going into the genes of tabby markings,being lazy LOL

Bengal ooB_ddTTC_
spike OBBD_Ttcscs
OBBD_ __C_

Bengal X spike

Male kittens would be all black baced, non dilute (50-50 chance of dilute if spike has dilute) all kittens will be tabby of some kind,Likley not color point but this depends on the bengal if they carrie color point its a 50-50 chance of color point, if not no kittens will be color point. Female kittens are the same only they would all be torti baced not black

Cheese X bengal

Like with spike all male kittens are black baced and all girls are tortis , dilute is the same as above, again all kittens will be some kind of tabby , all kittens won't be color point unless somehow both cheese and the bengal have the color point gene wich makes it a 1-4 chance

i need a new signature

blazesong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Brynmala » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:57 am

blazesong wrote:Bengal ooB_ddTTC_
spike OBBD_Ttcscs
Cheese OBBD_ __C_

Bengal X spike

Male kittens would be all black baced, non dilute (50-50 chance of dilute if spike has dilute) all kittens will be tabby of some kind,Likley not color point but this depends on the bengal if they carrie color point its a 50-50 chance of color point, if not no kittens will be color point. Female kittens are the same only they would all be torti baced not black

Cheese X bengal

Like with spike all male kittens are black baced and all girls are tortis , dilute is the same as above, again all kittens will be some kind of tabby , all kittens won't be color point unless somehow both cheese and the bengal have the color point gene wich makes it a 1-4 chance

Blazesong beat me to it, but I'd disagree that the male kittens would be black based - they'd be orange based. Both prospective fathers are orange, and they must pass that on. Since orange is dominant over black it will always show up.

I'm assuming Spike, being a Birman cross, is at least semi-longhaired? You can also throw that into the mix as a possible if (and this may be a bit of a stretch) there's a longhair gene in the Bengal's breeding - I don't know of longhairs cropping up in the breed, but that doesn't mean that they don't (and have been quietly sold off as pets... which is what happened to the early examples of what is now known as the Balinese). Long hair is a recessive, so both parents would need to contribute this gene. My guess would be, on the information available, that all the kittens will be shorthairs, but there is an outside possibility...

Also under the circumstances of where his mother came from, all of Spike's siblings could have had different fathers, so very hard to make judgements on his genetics based on them.

Don't you just love colour genetics :)

[please excuse bad typing - typing with the 'help' of my orange-silver oriental longhair...]
Brynmala

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby clemen » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:40 am

If you can't tell by my username, i love cats.
i have 2 wonderful babies. Raven and Pounce.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/color
[color=transparent]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I ❤️ CAR SEAT HEADREST
clemen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:20 am

I want another cat. But my parents are afriad that if we got another cat our current day (male) will start marking. But if we got a female, would that still be a concern? Or does marking only happen with 2 make cats in the same home?

I just want a kitten 😂
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:38 am

Keighan. wrote:I want another cat. But my parents are afriad that if we got another cat our current day (male) will start marking. But if we got a female, would that still be a concern? Or does marking only happen with 2 make cats in the same home?

I just want a kitten 😂

Either way your male cat should be neutered before that. That lowers the chance of them marking, as well as lowers aggression towards other cats and, obviously, stops them from breeding.
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zan | NB | they/them | pan/ace
xxxxxx lgbtq+ | atheist | satanist | artist xxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:57 am

he's netured. Thank you for assuming.
Does anybody have a actual answer? I looked all over the internet and I can't find much of a answer. I just want to be able to assure them he's not going to start peeing everywhere.
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:07 am

Keighan. wrote:he's netured. Thank you for assuming.
Does anybody have a actual answer? I looked all over the internet and I can't find much of a answer. I just want to be able to assure them he's not going to start peeing everywhere.

Marking can actually still happen even if neutered, it can be caused by stressed or anything so yes bringing in a new cat could cause him to mark regardless if he done. He could see the cat as an interloper rather than a friend so your parents have a right to be worried about him marking the house.
Neutering only lowers the chances of preventing it it doesn't always stop it.
CharsArt WantedTradescredit
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something
Sarcastic and witty with this but
We cant be bothered. We go by
Angelus One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh lover

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:18 am

alright thank you. he's never marked before. They where just worried he would start due to getting another cat.

Thank you for the information.
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blazesong » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:04 am

Brynmala wrote:
blazesong wrote:Bengal ooB_ddTTC_
spike OBBD_Ttcscs
Cheese OBBD_ __C_

Bengal X spike

Cheese X bengal

Blazesong beat me to it, but I'd disagree that the male kittens would be black based - they'd be orange based. Both prospective fathers are orange, and they must pass that on. Since orange is dominant over black it will always show up.

male kittens allways get there ginger gene from only the mother , its a sex linked trait appering only on X as males are XY they can only get one copy as to be XY they get the Y from there father , a ginger mother cat would have ginger males , a torti mother would have black or ginger males and a black mother cat will always have black . Ignoring cinnimon and chocolate of corse ,they are mutations on black so would have there own effect (a black mother carring cinnimon and a cinnimon male can have cinnamon kittens)

i need a new signature

blazesong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me