Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What do you have rabbits for?

I don't own a rabbit (YET!)
28%
My rabbits are companion pets!
48%
I raise show rabbits!
10%
I use rabbits as a food source
6%
I use them for wool! *starts knitting*
3%
Other...
5%

Total votes : 432

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat V.2 - FRESH! :)

Postby Kainé » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:07 am

Luzien wrote:
RabbitFluffy wrote:Hey y'all. I know some of you are more experienced breeders, so I would love to hear from you! I came home from my grandparents today and I found four newborn bunnies in one of my cages. I had all does until about two months ago when we rescued a gorgeous buck from one of my neighbors. Long story short he's a daddy now and I would like some advice when it comes to taking care of babies. We moved them into one of our larger hutches which has a large box and we made a nest out of hay, paper bedding, and the fur she pulled out. They seem healthy and full I'm just a little concerned they got scraped on the wire before I was able to get to them. Also any tips for how to tell if any of my other girls might be preggo? I felt their abdomens but I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for. Thanks for whoever takes the time to read this :D

**Update:
Mom has ajusted to her new temporary home and the babies seem to be doing well except for one, which looks a little thin. I gave her some extra hay but I'm going to give her space so hopefully the little one will be able to nurse.

why did you let thebuck to all your females without watching who he did breed :?:
so you could have prepared anything for the birth....and put them in big breeding cages and given them bether food bevor the Babys did come....

....only hay is not enough for a mother!!!!... she needs fresh green food (fresh grass, fresh herbs and such...look on a meadow away from streets, or grow it your self), fruit and vegetable, good rabbit food or even one for breeding rabbit,....you Need to look after them carefully each day two times atleast ,even more so the to thin one...if it get worse only a little bit you need the vet...but it still would be best when you call the vet out to your home, as you never had babys and know not much bout there care as it looks.
and as one is hurt the vet can look at it too...(that is why i hate wire ground/bottom cages....they are not good)
an if other are pregnant too..

-> when possible dont touch the babys...or only with hay and hair from the mother between you andthe Baby...the mother could leave them...

..and did you already got new homes for the babys when they are old enough or are they for meat...even more so when you got more females with Babys on the way....and do you know how to help one give birth when one of the other has trouble???

--snip--

i did not put them together on purpose, it was an accidental breeding. I house all my buns outdoors and i think he might've gotten to her through the cage bars when i let him exercise around the yard. I had no idea she was pregnant :silent: I'm still new to this so i appreciate the advice. He is in his own separate cage away from the does, but i'm going to have to save up to neuter him. I do have a family that will take them once they are grown and they have experience owning rabbits, so that's not an issue. I have fresh grass growing in the yard and I'll go buy some herbs and alfalfa for her as well. She is eating pellets and timothy hay at the moment. I also want to add oats to her diet to help her gain some weight back because she is quite tiny. any other input would be greatly appreceated :)
Kainé

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:00 pm

Goose says "hello".

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian
🐰 Beau . Davey . Juniper . Sorren

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:27 pm

RabbitFluffy wrote: i did not put them together on purpose, it was an accidental breeding. I house all my buns outdoors and i think he might've gotten to her through the cage bars when i let him exercise around the yard. I had no idea she was pregnant :silent: I'm still new to this so i appreciate the advice. He is in his own separate cage away from the does, but i'm going to have to save up to neuter him. I do have a family that will take them once they are grown and they have experience owning rabbits, so that's not an issue. I have fresh grass growing in the yard and I'll go buy some herbs and alfalfa for her as well. She is eating pellets and timothy hay at the moment. I also want to add oats to her diet to help her gain some weight back because she is quite tiny. any other input would be greatly appreceated :)

could have happened like this.
that is good, just watch that she or the babys is not disturbed to much, that she Feeds them well enough, that they look clean and healthy , the babys not touch or only the too small when you need to give it some extra feed from your vet (or when really bad and when you need to and vet says so you may have to take the tiny baby away from the mother for extra heath and more feeding every other h in an extra cage anly bring it to mother for some more milk and mother love from her( but then only when you are with them)...but your vet tells you when the need for this is there), but try to only touch it with fur and hay because of the smell...good food and enough water, it should not get to cold in there cage...
you can push a little bit hay in front of the opening nestingbox where the babys are inside so it is even more protected from cold air...

i did read that nettel could be good too to the food and hay...fresh cut or dry...but you may ask some more people about this...not sure if this was good for mother rabbit...
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kainé » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:39 am

update on our babies!
We changed the mom's diet and added much more fresh greens and she began producing enough milk for all of them. The runt has improved greatly and they are all doing great. They have even started opening their eyes and exploring the cage more. She has been feeding them every morning and they are now coming up to her to nurse. They're so cuteee aghh but im so thankful they have all survived.
Kainé

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:46 am

RabbitFluffy wrote:update on our babies!
We changed the mom's diet and added much more fresh greens and she began producing enough milk for all of them. The runt has improved greatly and they are all doing great. They have even started opening their eyes and exploring the cage more. She has been feeding them every morning and they are now coming up to her to nurse. They're so cuteee aghh but im so thankful they have all survived.

yay! I'm glad.
continued good luck to you :thumbup: :mrgreen:

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:54 am

Made a new poll today! :D

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silent Serenity » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:38 pm

mmmmm okay, Hopefully this fits into this... category..

So, There's a virus that effects some breeds of wild rabbits,
Called the 'Shope papilloma virus' It's basically a virus...
That causes a horn-like growth (made from Keratin)-
On/around the head of the rabbit.

I mean, I've been reading about it,
And it explained the way the creatures obtain the virus,
Is insects such as Fleas and Mosquitoes, infect a 'Cutaneous cell'
And apparently it forms some kind of tumor.

My question is if it's painful for the rabbit?...
Silent Serenity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:51 am

Silent Serenity wrote:mmmmm okay, Hopefully this fits into this... category..

So, There's a virus that effects some breeds of wild rabbits,
Called the 'Shope papilloma virus' It's basically a virus...
That causes a horn-like growth (made from Keratin)-
On/around the head of the rabbit.

I mean, I've been reading about it,
And it explained the way the creatures obtain the virus,
Is insects such as Fleas and Mosquitoes, infect a 'Cutaneous cell'
And apparently it forms some kind of tumor.

My question is if it's painful for the rabbit?...

Hhhhmmm.... I don't know enough about it, but I am sure it's painful at least sometimes. Depending on how severe and the location of the growths.

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:33 pm

Didn't realize there was a new thread! New thread means some photo spam lol.

Some of y'all may remember I went to visit my best friend last year (previous member of the chat TheMeanKitty) and picked out a 3 week old Polish buck, and two does. Well after a ton of trouble my buck finally got to come home last week! He also brought home a girlfriend because TMK had no need for her and I'm a sucker for gift rabbits lol.

Broken chocolate is Lincoln the buck. (3 photos cause he's my fav and adorable  )
Broken black is Clarke (one of the does I picked up last year from her)
And Black is Raven who tagged along lol

Clarke and Raven were both bred last week, so hopefully babies next month! Finally!

Other than the Polish, I've got one harlequin still. A doe Rosalee who I'm attempting to breed to Linc at the moment which is hilarious to watch lol. Then I've got a harlie mutt doe who I haven't decided what to do with yet. She won't be staying much longer though.

I also might be getting another former member's two fixed rabbits since she can no longer keep them. (McDreamy if anyone remembers her, Simba and Waffles are the buns) They will just chill in their own little pen and be spoiled rotten for the rest of their lives with entirely too many photoshoots to send back to her lol
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:49 pm

Makes me miss my Polish. My old lady Alex passed away this spring. She was 7 and I raised her from 3 months old. She was an amazing little bun. lol she was the only Polish I kept when I sold out.

Can't wait to see more pictures of your beautiful bunnies. ;)

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes