Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:57 pm

Stumpy. wrote:
Queenie! wrote:
Stumpy. wrote:I'm really worried about my cat.. he got a cut on his nose this morning and it started swelling. I think it's infected, but im not sure. My mom won't take him to the vet since it's too expensive and we're trying to budget.
Not asking for vet advice(already got it from a certified vet elsewhere)
But any info? Like how long will it be infected, or if there's a way to bandage it or something??

Keep it clean as best as you can and keep an eye on it. Use a gentle soap without any fragrances or extra ingredients, because it's on his nose, you don't want to risk him making himself sick if he licks something off of it. If it gets worse, try to convince your mom to take him to the vet. If you're on a budget (and in the US), there is something you can apply for called Care Credit, which should make the visit cheaper, or at least give you an option to pay it off over time instead of all at once. You can also ask around at different vet offices and see if any of them accept payment plans.

Would Dawn work? I know they advertise it for oils spills and such, but we don't have any fancy cat shampoo.

As long as it doesn't have any added fragrance (like the lemon or orange Dawn soap) it should be okay. Just use it sparingly and make sure it's completely wiped off of his nose when you're done cleaning it. If your soap is scented, you can get plain bar soap fairly cheaply from dollar stores.

xAbandon Ship. wrote:
Siiiiiiiiigggggggggggggggggggggh
I fixed the problem of Tepin flipping over the water bowl out of sheer boredom, by taping it for a long time.
Recently after coming home from vacation - she has acquired another new habit concerning the water dish.
She very purposefully plays with her toys in , or around the bowl (Causing them to get stuck underneath - so she conveniently has to be super destructive to get them out)

When I am home, I can curtail this behavior , but I am not home all the time - and I have come home to a spilled water dish every day for the past 3-4 days. It isn't really a problem - but it does get annoying having to refill , and try to outsmart the stinkin' cat every day. I shouldn't have to turn my water dish into fort knox. Anyone have an ideas to keep her .. from playing. I dunno. I'm at a loss.

Have you considered investing in a fountain bowl? Some cats will mess with their water dish because they're wary with still water. You could also just get a regular bowl, maybe a slightly larger one, and put (clean) river rocks in the bottom so she can't move it.

Giraffeti wrote:
    So a little about me, I work at a shelter in the dog care area, but go through the ringworm cattery we have and honestly it's making me want a cat so much ugh.

There's one with one eye that I've had my eye (haha) on and also another one named Sweet Potato, a really cute calico. My other favorite got adopted, so now I have to pick a new favorite.

I've never own a cat before, but I have owned dogs basically all my life. I was thinking about getting a kitten, but I don't have time for one so I was looking at older cats at the shelter, like a mid-age cat. Anything I should know specifically?

Also I've heard that you should get two litter boxes per cat, should I do that? I wouldn't have one for a while, I'm supposed to be moving out soon so it would have to be then.

The general rule of thumb is to have at least one litter box per cat, though if you have more than one cat, having one box per cat plus an extra is a good idea. If your house has multiple levels, having one litter box on each level is a good idea too.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby flyteck » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:48 am

xAbandon Ship. wrote:
Siiiiiiiiigggggggggggggggggggggh
I fixed the problem of Tepin flipping over the water bowl out of sheer boredom, by taping it for a long time.
Recently after coming home from vacation - she has acquired another new habit concerning the water dish.
She very purposefully plays with her toys in , or around the bowl (Causing them to get stuck underneath - so she conveniently has to be super destructive to get them out)

When I am home, I can curtail this behavior , but I am not home all the time - and I have come home to a spilled water dish every day for the past 3-4 days. It isn't really a problem - but it does get annoying having to refill , and try to outsmart the stinkin' cat every day. I shouldn't have to turn my water dish into fort knox. Anyone have an ideas to keep her .. from playing. I dunno. I'm at a loss.

Maybe just tape around the sides so there isn't a way for her to knock things under it anymore? If she's just accidentally doing it now that should stop her. She'll still play in it but I don't think that's a huge issue as long as the water doesn't really get dirty.
⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁
echjhmhehcghfghfgghhImage

Deviantart [most active]
toyhou.se
Lioden
I'm still on here, but I don't post much.
Feel free to message me if you'd like to
chat! Check my DA for commissions c;

✯ Check out my Webcomic!✯
⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁
flyteck

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:10 am

Giraffeti wrote:
    So a little about me, I work at a shelter in the dog care area, but go through the ringworm cattery we have and honestly it's making me want a cat so much ugh.

There's one with one eye that I've had my eye (haha) on and also another one named Sweet Potato, a really cute calico. My other favorite got adopted, so now I have to pick a new favorite.

I've never own a cat before, but I have owned dogs basically all my life. I was thinking about getting a kitten, but I don't have time for one so I was looking at older cats at the shelter, like a mid-age cat. Anything I should know specifically?

Also I've heard that you should get two litter boxes per cat, should I do that? I wouldn't have one for a while, I'm supposed to be moving out soon so it would have to be then.

The good thing about older cats is that their personality has already developed, so you will have an easier time telling what they will be like than you would with a kitten. So get to know the cats you are interested in and see what they are like. Are they playful or do they like to sleep all day? Have they ever worn a harness, and if you don't know, maybe try putting them in one. Just try to find out what they like and what their behavior is like, and that will help you get used to living with them.

I think the biggest difference between cats and dogs (though I've never had a dog haha) is that cats tend to be a lot more independent and don't require as much care as dogs do (like you don't have to walk them or train them, though you absolutely can try).

Just some basic things you could research while waiting to adopt a cat: what kinds of cat food brands are available in your area, which ones are the best and what kind of foods the cat you have your eyes on likes. Some only eat dry food, for example. What vets are in your area, what are their prices, do they have good reviews, etc. Do the cats you like have any health conditions you need to be aware of. If they are long/medium hair cats - they might require frequent brushing. Look into some toys you could get, scratching poles, bowls and dishes, maybe one of those multi level towers or a hammock, maybe a cat bed if they like those, etc.
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zan | NB | they/them | pan/ace
xxxxxx lgbtq+ | atheist | satanist | artist xxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winstalgia » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:19 am

Astro,. wrote:@love, muse

I forgot to mention; this cat has been raised as an outdoor indoor cat. My cat is also An outdoor indoor cat.size

Would this affect the process at all?
"𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖙𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖚𝖗𝖊"
adult
Hi! Call me Rain or Wins! hope all is well.
I love philosophy, paradoxes, and thought
experiments. Fermi paradox is my favorite.
Really avid blink-182 fan! I love their music.
I also really like DnD and fantasy stuff.
Currently working on a visual novel!

"𝖎𝖘 𝖘𝖎𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖌𝖔𝖑𝖉."
Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby iuaena » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:44 am

does anyone have any like advices on how to keep your cats away from fleas? i currently have 7 kittens and 3 cattos all basically infested with fleas o-o
i became a victim of them too, I've been getting flea bites all over my legs and ended up making myself bleed from excessive scratching.
I've tried those warm soapy flea traps but they don't seem to work too well. I've also tried the tea tree oil remedy thing but no results yet.

removing the fleas manually was of course my first option, but they just keep coming back!
iuaena

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bitters » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:50 am

My cat cries every night.

She will sit in the living room and just yell until I come to see her, and then she looks at me like I'm a monster and runs away. I adopted her as an adult cat, and she was initially wary of people, leading me to believe she may not have been treated kindly in youth.

Not sure what I can do about it, but recently her howls are starting to sound like actual multi syllable words. Maybe like a baby saying "Heylow! Helaoh!"

If anyone has advice on how to make her stop shoot me a PM. I really don't want someone within my apartment complex to report her for being loud at night. I also read that responding to her cries may show her that crying is okay, so I do my best to wait it out if I can. I've tried calming treats and my hemp oil is in the mail lol.
v Help me with my hoard? ♡ v
Bitters

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:18 am

Astro,. wrote:Hey! So I haven't posted here in a year and a half it seems, but anyway;

So, I still have that cat named Chip. He is doing well and I've had him two years since November 2018. He's doing well and he's going to his first visit to the vet soon. I still don't know how old he is but I wanna say 10+ from his behavior.

Anyway, before I get hate on why I've never taken him to see the vet since I've had him (two years), it's because he was never really 'my' cat. I paid for his food and such but I never knew where he came from; if he had had owners. And I could not feed him for days on end because the neighborhood would as well.

Anyway, this neighbor is giving away their kitten because they want to find a new home for her. She's pretty small, a kitten, although I didn't ask her age. My sister really wants this cat but the problem is we already have a cat. My Mom said it's up to my Dad if she can get it or not.

If he says yes, what's the proper way to introduce two cats? One older (male), one smaller (female).

Chip is only aggressive towards other male cats, and one of my neighbors had a litter of kittens and he got along with all the female kittens, just not the males. I know that if my Dad says yes, I will not be able to object because my sister has wanted a cat for a year now. I don't know why my cat won't work for her.

my mistake, I thought your post above was part of a different conversation sdgda I deleted the post

First you should make sure that Chip is neutered. You don't want to end up with far more cats than you can handle.

As for how to introduce 2 cats, the most important thing is to take it gradually. For the first week or so you should separate them entirely, like keep the kitten in a room where Chip isn't allowed and only let them smell eachother through the door. Then gradually you can allow them to be in the same room for small amounts of time, while watching them closely. If anyone shows any hostility, separate them immediately. If they do well, give them treats. It's best to do this before meal time. Then you can put their food bowls near eachother and just let them be in the same room. By gradually increasing the time they spend together in the same space, they will get used to eachothers smells and movements and make it more likely that they will not end up hating eachother. That's why it's important to take things slow and only allow them together in a controlled space at first (not outdoors), and immediately reward them for doing well.

คʅเƈɛ wrote:does anyone have any like advices on how to keep your cats away from fleas? i currently have 7 kittens and 3 cattos all basically infested with fleas o-o
i became a victim of them too, I've been getting flea bites all over my legs and ended up making myself bleed from excessive scratching.
I've tried those warm soapy flea traps but they don't seem to work too well. I've also tried the tea tree oil remedy thing but no results yet.

removing the fleas manually was of course my first option, but they just keep coming back!

You need to talk to your vet and buy some flea medicine from them. You can likely buy flea medicine in pet stores as well, but since you say you have several kittens, it's safer to have the vet administer a safe amount of the medication to the little ones (as a too high dose may be dangerous to them). The meds will kill the fleas on their bodies, but there might be some lingering around afterwards, though they will no longer have a good place to breed and feed. If your cats are very susceptible to catching fleas, also consider getting them flea collars that can prevent them from catching them in the future.

Bitters wrote:My cat cries every night.

She will sit in the living room and just yell until I come to see her, and then she looks at me like I'm a monster and runs away. I adopted her as an adult cat, and she was initially wary of people, leading me to believe she may not have been treated kindly in youth.

Not sure what I can do about it, but recently her howls are starting to sound like actual multi syllable words. Maybe like a baby saying "Heylow! Helaoh!"

If anyone has advice on how to make her stop shoot me a PM. I really don't want someone within my apartment complex to report her for being loud at night. I also read that responding to her cries may show her that crying is okay, so I do my best to wait it out if I can. I've tried calming treats and my hemp oil is in the mail lol.

It sounds like she might just be using that to get your attention. Cats tend to be most active during dawn and dusk, so maybe she just interprets it as play time. Maybe you could see if having a tiring playing session could be enough to tire her out for the night?
If she's not neutered, that could also be a reason why she's doing that, to get the attention of other cats.
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zan | NB | they/them | pan/ace
xxxxxx lgbtq+ | atheist | satanist | artist xxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:44 am

Bitters wrote:My cat cries every night.

Is she an older adult? I know some older cats tend to become more vocal as they age. My own cat, who is about 14 now, often wanders around the house yowling. I've tried just about everything to figure out why she's doing it, but nothing seems to work. You could try what I did, maybe it'll help you.
1. Give her some food or refill her water bowl with fresh water.
2. Make sure her litter box is clean.
3. Look around the area(s) she's yowling in, is there anything there that might be upsetting her?
4. Check that there aren't any odd noises or anything that might be confusing her.

It is also possible that something is medically wrong with her. If you can't figure out what the problem is yourself, you should take her in to the vet and see if they can help. Yowling is a symptom of several different ailments, so there's no way to narrow it down without veterinary expertise.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bitters » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:52 am

Queenie! wrote:
Is she an older adult? I know some older cats tend to become more vocal as they age. My own cat, who is about 14 now, often wanders around the house yowling. I've tried just about everything to figure out why she's doing it, but nothing seems to work. You could try what I did, maybe it'll help you.
3. Look around the area(s) she's yowling in, is there anything there that might be upsetting her?
4. Check that there aren't any odd noises or anything that might be confusing her.

It is also possible that something is medically wrong with her. If you can't figure out what the problem is yourself, you should take her in to the vet and see if they can help. Yowling is a symptom of several different ailments, so there's no way to narrow it down without veterinary expertise.

Thank you...
She's been to the vet recently and has a clean bill of health. I was in a hurry so all we had time for was a post-deworming checkup. I really should have brought it up then.
She is only 2-4 years old. I adopted her thinking she was pretty old, but it was just a very bad case of roundworm making her look old/lethargic. I've had her for a little under a year. The yowling only started a few months after she settled in. It feels really random.
We have another cat who is basically the tasmanian devil so the food and water and cat boxes are cleaned multiple times a day.

I'm thinking maybe she is just clingy? I should go talk to her vet this week... Thankyou.
v Help me with my hoard? ♡ v
Bitters

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:19 am

Bitters wrote:
Queenie! wrote:

Thank you...
She's been to the vet recently and has a clean bill of health. I was in a hurry so all we had time for was a post-deworming checkup. I really should have brought it up then.
She is only 2-4 years old. I adopted her thinking she was pretty old, but it was just a very bad case of roundworm making her look old/lethargic. I've had her for a little under a year. The yowling only started a few months after she settled in. It feels really random.
We have another cat who is basically the tasmanian devil so the food and water and cat boxes are cleaned multiple times a day.

I'm thinking maybe she is just clingy? I should go talk to her vet this week... Thankyou.

Cats can also suffer from PTSD, so that may be a possibility to consider. Because you don't know her history though, there's no way to really know if she experienced any traumatic events. Definitely rule out any other possibilities with your vet first.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────