Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re:

Postby Transkitty » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:49 am

atychiphobia wrote:hi guys, so I only just tuned in and I haven’t read anything as of recent so I’m sorry I’m not with the current topic right now
I got a new kitten on the 22nd! She came from an ‘animal welfare society’ or a pound basically. She was 8 weeks old when I got her and had been in the pound for less than 24 hours when I came in and adopted her.
She’s grey and white, long haired and called Luna.

She’s my first long haired cat (I’ve had four other cats in the past, all short haired) and I don’t know if there’s something I can feed her to help with furballs. There’s been no furballs as of yet and I understand she’s a bit young for some things but does anyone know anything I can do to help with furballs?
I brush her everyday and yeah
She’s asleep next to me right now it’s adorable

She’s so cute I couldn’t resist making her an Instagram account, click the link to see what she looks like even though my photos don’t do her justice
here

Honestly, feeding a special diet won't really do much to help prevent hairballs. You're already doing the most effective thing you can, which is brushing her. Just make sure you're brushing down to the skin so that you're getting all of the loose fur off before she has the chance to groom it off of herself.

I also feed my cats a well beaten raw egg once a week when I notice they're blowing their coats. This helps to lubricate their throats so that the fur I don't get with brushing passes through without causing irritation!
Transkitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby ~ moth ~ » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:12 pm

i have a bit of a dilemma that i need help figuring out.
      i have a bunk bed which tiny knows how to climb up the ladder to reach the top bunk. she likes to crawl along the bed frame and along the side guard. i'm always afraid that she's going to slip off the wrong side of the frame and take a nasty fall to the ground, and tiny isn't known for landing on her feet like most cats do. just a few monents ago my fear almost became reality when she tried turning around on the thin frame and lost her footing. i was just barely able to grab her and pull her back over the edge. i want to know if there's any way to deter her from climbing on the bed frame any more because i don't want another close call like i had tonight.

╰ ⋯ how the most dangerous thing . • ⊹ ╮

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⋯ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ◂ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⋯⠀⠀⠀ ⠀ ↼╯
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀╰ is to love -

. • adrien - adult - they / he / she - aroace ⋆ ╮

╰ ⋯ how you will heal and rise above . • ⊹

───────────────────────────────────────────
x▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ╮

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⋮

. - • crowned by an overture ↼╯
bold and beyond . • ⋆

╰ ⋯ ah, it’s more courageous to ⋆
▸ — overcome ⊹ .

──────────────────────────

~ moth ~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bitters » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:05 pm

wintery winnie wrote:
      . i want to know if there's any way to deter her from climbing on the bed frame any more because i don't want another close call like i had tonight.

Have you tried decorating the bed frame? Winding something around it like string lights may make it less appealing to kitty. I did this with my balcony railing. Unfortunately my baby had to learn by jumping and falling off due to the new obstacle but you can be there to catch her.

You could also try a nice soft rug under the bed, in the area she could tumble.

Lastly remove the ladder when not in use if it's possible. I know some aren't removable.
v Help me with my hoard? ♡ v
Bitters

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winstalgia » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:55 am

Hey! So I haven't posted here in a year and a half it seems, but anyway;

So, I still have that cat named Chip. He is doing well and I've had him two years since November 2018. He's doing well and he's going to his first visit to the vet soon. I still don't know how old he is but I wanna say 10+ from his behavior.

Anyway, before I get hate on why I've never taken him to see the vet since I've had him (two years), it's because he was never really 'my' cat. I paid for his food and such but I never knew where he came from; if he had had owners. And I could not feed him for days on end because the neighborhood would as well.

Anyway, this neighbor is giving away their kitten because they want to find a new home for her. She's pretty small, a kitten, although I didn't ask her age. My sister really wants this cat but the problem is we already have a cat. My Mom said it's up to my Dad if she can get it or not.

If he says yes, what's the proper way to introduce two cats? One older (male), one smaller (female).

Chip is only aggressive towards other male cats, and one of my neighbors had a litter of kittens and he got along with all the female kittens, just not the males. I know that if my Dad says yes, I will not be able to object because my sister has wanted a cat for a year now. I don't know why my cat won't work for her.
"𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖙𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖚𝖗𝖊"
adult
Hi! Call me Rain or Wins! hope all is well.
I love philosophy, paradoxes, and thought
experiments. Fermi paradox is my favorite.
Really avid blink-182 fan! I love their music.
I also really like DnD and fantasy stuff.
Currently working on a visual novel!

"𝖎𝖘 𝖘𝖎𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖌𝖔𝖑𝖉."
Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~ moth ~ » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Bitters wrote:Have you tried decorating the bed frame? Winding something around it like string lights may make it less appealing to kitty. I did this with my balcony railing. Unfortunately my baby had to learn by jumping and falling off due to the new obstacle but you can be there to catch her.

You could also try a nice soft rug under the bed, in the area she could tumble.

Lastly remove the ladder when not in use if it's possible. I know some aren't removable.

thanks for the tips, but i don't have anything to wrap around my bed or a rug to put beneath. however i did grab a boatload of tape and taped up the railing and frame since i heard tape is a good deterrent, and i think it worked. she tested getting on the railing when i was finished and decided she didn't like the feeling.

╰ ⋯ how the most dangerous thing . • ⊹ ╮

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⋯ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ◂ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⋯⠀⠀⠀ ⠀ ↼╯
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀╰ is to love -

. • adrien - adult - they / he / she - aroace ⋆ ╮

╰ ⋯ how you will heal and rise above . • ⊹

───────────────────────────────────────────
x▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ╮

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⋮

. - • crowned by an overture ↼╯
bold and beyond . • ⋆

╰ ⋯ ah, it’s more courageous to ⋆
▸ — overcome ⊹ .

──────────────────────────

~ moth ~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winstalgia » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:06 pm

@love, muse

I forgot to mention; this cat has been raised as an outdoor indoor cat. My cat is also An outdoor indoor cat.size

Would this affect the process at all?
"𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖙𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖚𝖗𝖊"
adult
Hi! Call me Rain or Wins! hope all is well.
I love philosophy, paradoxes, and thought
experiments. Fermi paradox is my favorite.
Really avid blink-182 fan! I love their music.
I also really like DnD and fantasy stuff.
Currently working on a visual novel!

"𝖎𝖘 𝖘𝖎𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖌𝖔𝖑𝖉."
Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Stumpy. » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:01 pm

I'm really worried about my cat.. he got a cut on his nose this morning and it started swelling. I think it's infected, but im not sure. My mom won't take him to the vet since it's too expensive and we're trying to budget.
Not asking for vet advice(already got it from a certified vet elsewhere)
But any info? Like how long will it be infected, or if there's a way to bandage it or something??
Hungry for art.
he/him
wildlife biology major
Stumpy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:13 pm

Stumpy. wrote:I'm really worried about my cat.. he got a cut on his nose this morning and it started swelling. I think it's infected, but im not sure. My mom won't take him to the vet since it's too expensive and we're trying to budget.
But any info? Like how long will it be infected, or if there's a way to bandage it or something??

Keep it clean as best as you can and keep an eye on it. Use a gentle soap without any fragrances or extra ingredients, because it's on his nose, you don't want to risk him making himself sick if he licks something off of it. If it gets worse, try to convince your mom to take him to the vet. If you're on a budget (and in the US), there is something you can apply for called Care Credit, which should make the visit cheaper, or at least give you an option to pay it off over time instead of all at once. You can also ask around at different vet offices and see if any of them accept payment plans.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Stumpy. » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:33 pm

Queenie! wrote:
Stumpy. wrote:I'm really worried about my cat.. he got a cut on his nose this morning and it started swelling. I think it's infected, but im not sure. My mom won't take him to the vet since it's too expensive and we're trying to budget.

Keep it clean as best as you can and keep an eye on it. Use a gentle soap without any fragrances or extra ingredients, because it's on his nose, you don't want to risk him making himself sick if he licks something off of it. If it gets worse, try to convince your mom to take him to the vet. If you're on a budget (and in the US), there is something you can apply for called Care Credit, which should make the visit cheaper, or at least give you an option to pay it off over time instead of all at once. You can also ask around at different vet offices and see if any of them accept payment plans.

Would Dawn work? I know they advertise it for oils spills and such, but we don't have any fancy cat shampoo.
Hungry for art.
he/him
wildlife biology major
Stumpy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gizmutt » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:11 pm

Siiiiiiiiigggggggggggggggggggggh
I fixed the problem of Tepin flipping over the water bowl out of sheer boredom, by taping it for a long time.
Recently after coming home from vacation - she has acquired another new habit concerning the water dish.
She very purposefully plays with her toys in , or around the bowl (Causing them to get stuck underneath - so she conveniently has to be super destructive to get them out)

When I am home, I can curtail this behavior , but I am not home all the time - and I have come home to a spilled water dish every day for the past 3-4 days. It isn't really a problem - but it does get annoying having to refill , and try to outsmart the stinkin' cat every day. I shouldn't have to turn my water dish into fort knox. Anyone have an ideas to keep her .. from playing. I dunno. I'm at a loss.

So say goodbye to the old, and hello to that rainbow road ...
Gizmutt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me