Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Postby atychiphobia » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:02 pm

hi guys, so I only just tuned in and I haven’t read anything as of recent so I’m sorry I’m not with the current topic right now
I got a new kitten on the 22nd! She came from an ‘animal welfare society’ or a pound basically. She was 8 weeks old when I got her and had been in the pound for less than 24 hours when I came in and adopted her.
She’s grey and white, long haired and called Luna.

She’s my first long haired cat (I’ve had four other cats in the past, all short haired) and I don’t know if there’s something I can feed her to help with furballs. There’s been no furballs as of yet and I understand she’s a bit young for some things but does anyone know anything I can do to help with furballs?
I brush her everyday and yeah
She’s asleep next to me right now it’s adorable

She’s so cute I couldn’t resist making her an Instagram account, click the link to see what she looks like even though my photos don’t do her justice
i decided to remove the account from here
Last edited by atychiphobia on Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
⠀ ⠀._____________
x...┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊
x...┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊
x.. ┊ ┊ ✫ ✫ .┊ ┊ ┊
x.. ┊ ⊹ ......||┊ ✫ .................
x...x.|..||.| .xx.
x ⠀✧xxxxxxxxx....⠀✧
x..┌-.-..-...-....-
....|xx • she/her ✦ equestrian • australian ✦xxxxx.xx|
....|xx rarely active but still here • im not good xxx...|
....|xx at collecting so feel free to trade & help xxxx..|
....|xx me out ✦ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.|
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-....-...-..-.
atychiphobia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby ~ moth ~ » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:18 pm

aw, what a pretty girl. i've never had a long haired cat before, but i know that there are some cat food brands that help prevent hairballs. maybe look into some food brands to see what looks the best in preventing hairballs but also is healthy for the kitten and isn't outrageously priced.

luna looks a little bit like my tiny with the gray coat and white markings. does luna have ghost stripes too? tiny does, they're stripes that are slightly darker than the rest of the coat that are supposed to fade away as the cat grows into an adult, but tinys never fully went away but certainly have lightened up a bit.

╰ ⋯ how the most dangerous thing . • ⊹ ╮

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⋯ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ◂ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⋯⠀⠀⠀ ⠀ ↼╯
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀╰ is to love -

. • adrien - adult - they / he / she - aroace ⋆ ╮

╰ ⋯ how you will heal and rise above . • ⊹

───────────────────────────────────────────
x▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ╮

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⋮

. - • crowned by an overture ↼╯
bold and beyond . • ⋆

╰ ⋯ ah, it’s more courageous to ⋆
▸ — overcome ⊹ .

──────────────────────────

~ moth ~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:02 pm

atychiphobia wrote:hi guys, so I only just tuned in and I haven’t read anything as of recent so I’m sorry I’m not with the current topic right now
I got a new kitten on the 22nd! She came from an ‘animal welfare society’ or a pound basically. She was 8 weeks old when I got her and had been in the pound for less than 24 hours when I came in and adopted her.
She’s grey and white, long haired and called Luna.

She’s my first long haired cat (I’ve had four other cats in the past, all short haired) and I don’t know if there’s something I can feed her to help with furballs. There’s been no furballs as of yet and I understand she’s a bit young for some things but does anyone know anything I can do to help with furballs?
I brush her everyday and yeah
She’s asleep next to me right now it’s adorable

She’s so cute I couldn’t resist making her an Instagram account, click the link to see what she looks like even though my photos don’t do her justice
here

A lot of pet food brands do make formulas catered toward hairball prevention, so I would suggest shopping around to find your favorite brand and see if they have the right formula. Chewy is a good website to check.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:44 am

Faffy the FauxFox wrote:
    Thalassic wrote:
    Faffy the FauxFox wrote:so, is there any true food for cats with IBS? or something like it? or is it all a sham, and "prescription diet brand" will kill Gary? i asked about it on my own accord I am sure my family won't like me feeding him raw diet and i can't feed him things he wants to eat like oatmeal and what ever inappropriate "people food"

you should talk to your vet about that.

i asked the vet about the IBS and if there is a "special food" for that. but "unfortunatly" it seems only easy avalible food is the Hill's brand.
      You can get special food directly from your vet. Hills is a great brand and I likely will be switching my old man over to Hills Dental Diet and putting my new Sphynx on it as well. There is a Hills you can get at PetSmart and an even better version of it through the vet.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheRavens3rdEye » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:46 am

Small question. Since my mom has cat allergies, are there any hypoallergenic cat breeds that preferably don't shed? Also, is declawing humane? If so, what age for this procedure is appropriate?

-A Cat Lover But Cannot Have One Currently
~TheRavens3rdEye~

*Enter classy meme here*

ImageImage

[img][img]http://www.chickensmoothie.com/pet/255413429&trans=1.jpg[/img][/img]
TheRavens3rdEye

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:53 am

TheRavens3rdEye wrote:Small question. Since my mom has cat allergies, are there any hypoallergenic cat breeds that preferably don't shed? Also, is declawing humane? If so, what age for this procedure is appropriate?

Declawing is not humane. It is very cruel to a cat. It is illegal where I live and for good reason. Hopefully it will become illegal globally one day.

As for hypoallergenic cats, no, there isn't any. There are Sphynx cats that are considered "hairless" but they still actually have a bit of peach fuzz and lots of dander, so they are not hypoallergenic. They would likely bother your mother less, though. If you do consider getting a Sphynx, please do lots of research before doing so. They require so much work compared to the average cat.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:55 am

TheRavens3rdEye wrote:Small question. Since my mom has cat allergies, are there any hypoallergenic cat breeds that preferably don't shed? Also, is declawing humane? If so, what age for this procedure is appropriate?

Dander is the thing that most people are allergic to with cats, so there's not really any truly hypoallergenic cat. There are some cats that shed less than others, those being oriental shorthairs, cornish rex cats, Russian blues, bengals, and devon rex cats. Sphynx cats are probably the most "allergy friendly" of the bunch, but they require more special care than other cat breeds.

No, declawing is definitely not humane. When a cat is declawed, what the vet has to do is surgically remove the end of the toes at the last joint. It's very painful and uncomfortable for the cat, so much so that sometimes they will stop using their litterbox and stop grooming themselves. There are safer alternatives to declawing, such as nail trimming and claw caps.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kira Nightblade » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:25 am

You could perhaps get a sphinx?
imo declawing is not humane if done properly, both my cats are declawed for certain reasons, but everyone has different opinions, and I wouldn't be opposed to it being illegal
ImageImage
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi! I'm Kira, you can call me Sarah if you
want! I'm your average straight, home-
schooling christian, bookworm; who loves
Hunger Games, Warrior Cats, Maze Runner,
Wings of Fire, Fantasy, and just anything
related to.. Fantasy. I love border collies,
horses, and cheetahs. (or any dogs or cats)
also I really really really really love Owl City!
Please feel free to PM me to set up a roleplay!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

────────────────────( Image !! in your favor. )────────
Kira Nightblade

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blazesong » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:17 am

There is no such thing as hypoallergentic breeds in animals , one breed may be hypo for one person but not for another (exsample - my dad is allergic to animals but we found that hes not to shetland sheep dogs)
people with allergies can own animals it just depends on how bad it is,i wouldn't push your parents into geting a cat if your mum is saying no cause of allergies as she knows her reactions better then you do.

i need a new signature

blazesong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby woospuss » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:32 pm

Queenie! wrote:
Dander is the thing that most people are allergic to with cats, so there's not really any truly hypoallergenic cat. There are some cats that shed less than others, those being oriental shorthairs, cornish rex cats, Russian blues, bengals, and devon rex cats. Sphynx cats are probably the most "allergy friendly" of the bunch, but they require more special care than other cat breeds.

No, declawing is definitely not humane. When a cat is declawed, what the vet has to do is surgically remove the end of the toes at the last joint. It's very painful and uncomfortable for the cat, so much so that sometimes they will stop using their litterbox and stop grooming themselves. There are safer alternatives to declawing, such as nail trimming and claw caps.

Would highly recommend nail caps, also known as soft paws. I bought some for my 5yr old cat Archie when we got new carpet last year as he still likes to sharpen his claws on the floors. While it hasn't stopped the bad habit, there isn't any damage being done. Plus their real easy to put on, but would recommend training any cat at a young age to allow them to get use to their feet being touched and manipulated. Thankfully my boy is very relaxed and I am able to glue the caps on with no fuss. But can't say that all cats will be that relaxed!
woospuss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me