Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:46 am

Captain Thomas Lasky wrote:So lately i've been encountering lots of crazy people who claim kibble based food is poison, so I have a cat with thyroid issue and he has medicine that he takes but people are repeatedly telling me I should put him and my other two cats on raw diet because I'm poisoning my pets with get this kibble. Like I'm so fed up with people labeling me a bad owner for feeding kibble food I mean it doesn't even have to be a brand they just tell me I should stop because my pets will die early. my grandfather had a cat who lived to be 20 on kibble food so I'm not sure where this trend of switch to raw diet cause kibble is poison came from. I mean a raw diet has benefits but not all kibble is poison sheesh.

Those people are a minority, albeit a very vocal one. Yes, kibble food isn't the best food you can feed an animal, but unless you can afford to shell out hundreds of dollars a year for top-of-the-line pet food, or have the time to dedicate to researching raw diets and then spend even more time trying to find a trustworthy place to buy said raw food (which isn't always easy, especially if you live in a small town), kibble food is the best alternative. Not all kibble foods are bad, obviously you get what you pay for, but there's affordable brands that provide all the nutrition a cat needs.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby veggie » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:50 am

Queenie! wrote:
Captain Thomas Lasky wrote:So lately i've been encountering lots of crazy people who claim kibble based food is poison, so I have a cat with thyroid issue and he has medicine that he takes but people are repeatedly telling me I should put him and my other two cats on raw diet because I'm poisoning my pets with get this kibble. Like I'm so fed up with people labeling me a bad owner for feeding kibble food I mean it doesn't even have to be a brand they just tell me I should stop because my pets will die early. my grandfather had a cat who lived to be 20 on kibble food so I'm not sure where this trend of switch to raw diet cause kibble is poison came from. I mean a raw diet has benefits but not all kibble is poison sheesh.

Those people are a minority, albeit a very vocal one. Yes, kibble food isn't the best food you can feed an animal, but unless you can afford to shell out hundreds of dollars a year for top-of-the-line pet food, or have the time to dedicate to researching raw diets and then spend even more time trying to find a trustworthy place to buy said raw food (which isn't always easy, especially if you live in a small town), kibble food is the best alternative. Not all kibble foods are bad, obviously you get what you pay for, but there's affordable brands that provide all the nutrition a cat needs.

^This

Personally, I think the only thing wrong with a kibble based diet is the lack of moisture. Cats would naturally get the majority of their moisture from their prey, so they aren't naturally inclined to drink from standing water. For me personally, two of my babies drink plenty, but one of them drinks very little. I combat this by putting a little water over their kibble and sometimes substituting canned food.
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
veggie wrote:I have been on CS
for quite some time,
so if you have any
questions about trades,
navigating the site,
or anything of the like,
my inbox is always open!

veggie wrote:"If I had a flower for every time
I thought of you, I could walk in my
garden forever."
veggie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:55 am

We actually solved the whole standing water issue by getting a pet fountain one of our cats had trouble seeing if there was water in it and they were refusing to drink water that was standing so instead we bought a pet fountain and now all our pets drink from it we fill it up with filtered water.

We also give them a bit of wet food as a snack cause my oldest cat takes thyroid meds so we crush the medication and put it in the wet food with some of the juice he won't take it if we don't cause he's to smart for us to use pill pockets or cheese he's eat around the pill. XD
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rainbow Dash » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Raw diet actually has no proven benefits and more risk than kibble. It's a trend based on the "back to nature" fallacy which just doesn't apply to domesticated animals. Health claims made by raw food advocates are based 100% on anecdotal evidence.

If your cat is doing great with the fountain, awesome! Veggie is correct about canned food bridging the gap in not drinking enough water and getting enough moisture. Tambora gets a can of wet food in the morning and a little handful of dry food at night with plenty of fresh water available which is drinks out of a bowl with no problem. Even with my awesome discount working at a pet food store canned food costs add up and I get more bang for my buck with dry food.

ETA: Oops linked to the abstract and not the full paper. Added that in. It's worth a read.
[: Veterinary professional | Female | Hobbyist artist :]
Image Image Image Image
New Chicken Smoothie Tarot
[: Free-to-Use CS Graphics || Request Free CS Graphics || Every Pet As a Stamp Project :]
Sig art by me || Avatar by Scragster || Busy with work! Might be slow to respond!
Rainbow Dash

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gold » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:58 pm

Rainbow Dash wrote:-snip-
If your cat is doing great with the fountain, awesome! Veggie is correct about canned food bridging the gap in not drinking enough water and getting enough moisture. Tambora gets a can of wet food in the morning and a little handful of dry food at night with plenty of fresh water available which is drinks out of a bowl with no problem. Even with my awesome discount working at a pet food store canned food costs add up and I get more bang for my buck with dry food.

ETA: Oops linked to the abstract and not the full paper. Added that in. It's worth a read.

I like to feed my cat a mix of canned and dry food with extra water mixed into it! She loves it! I'll soak the dry food in water like cereal for a few seconds, drain most of the kibble water, and then mix in her wet food. It's just a little way of forcing some more hydration on her. Another benefit for my cat in particular is that she can't eat hard food as easily since she's lost a few teeth to FIV.
she/her -- polya gay -- infp -- comrade

ImageImageImage
gold

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pizzas and scream » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:51 pm

Personally, I think the only thing wrong with a kibble based diet is the lack of moisture. Cats would naturally get the majority of their moisture from their prey, so they aren't naturally inclined to drink from standing water. For me personally, two of my babies drink plenty, but one of them drinks very little. I combat this by putting a little water over their kibble and sometimes substituting canned food.

untill it's an inaproperate beverage like tea, or christmas tree water.

so, is there any true food for cats with IBS? or something like it? or is it all a sham, and "prescription diet brand" will kill Gary? i asked about it on my own accord I am sure my family won't like me feeding him raw diet and i can't feed him things he wants to eat like oatmeal and what ever inappropriate "people food"
LF pet to be ||Kimmy Shmit|Roy Mustang||Ban Midou|jason mendoza(the good place)|maes hughes|Krylancelo Finrandi|
-----------------------------
older than an embryo
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
pizzas and scream

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:36 pm

Faffy the FauxFox wrote:so, is there any true food for cats with IBS? or something like it? or is it all a sham, and "prescription diet brand" will kill Gary? i asked about it on my own accord I am sure my family won't like me feeding him raw diet and i can't feed him things he wants to eat like oatmeal and what ever inappropriate "people food"

you should talk to your vet about that.
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zan | NB | they/them | pan/ace
xxxxxx lgbtq+ | atheist | satanist | artist xxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pizzas and scream » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:43 am

Thalassic wrote:
Faffy the FauxFox wrote:so, is there any true food for cats with IBS? or something like it? or is it all a sham, and "prescription diet brand" will kill Gary? i asked about it on my own accord I am sure my family won't like me feeding him raw diet and i can't feed him things he wants to eat like oatmeal and what ever inappropriate "people food"

i asked the vet about the IBS and if there is a "special food" for that. but "unfortunatly" it seems only easy avalible food is the Hill's brand.
LF pet to be ||Kimmy Shmit|Roy Mustang||Ban Midou|jason mendoza(the good place)|maes hughes|Krylancelo Finrandi|
-----------------------------
older than an embryo
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
pizzas and scream

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bitters » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:51 am

Faffy the FauxFox wrote:i asked the vet about the IBS and if there is a "special food" for that. but "unfortunatly" it seems only easy avalible food is the Hill's brand.

I'm in the same boat. My roommate's kitty has severe IBS. She's always had noisy and very runny movements. We recently switched her over to Merrick BackCountry food and one wet meal a day. It's not for IBS but she's happy with it so far and we just deal with the godawful smell. If you find anything good let me know.
v Help me with my hoard? ♡ v
Bitters

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rainbow Dash » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:40 pm

Faffy the FauxFox wrote:
Thalassic wrote:

i asked the vet about the IBS and if there is a "special food" for that. but "unfortunatly" it seems only easy avalible food is the Hill's brand.

I checked my main resource for pet nutrition info (Petfoodlogy which is run by Tuft's University) and nada on IBS. Just the first page of Google is an absolute misinformation madhouse though. If it comes from Mercola or anything with "Natural" in the URL it's very likely nonsense.

Next time I'm on my computer I'll ask the chat group I am in for STEM students and professionals about IBS cat diets.
[: Veterinary professional | Female | Hobbyist artist :]
Image Image Image Image
New Chicken Smoothie Tarot
[: Free-to-Use CS Graphics || Request Free CS Graphics || Every Pet As a Stamp Project :]
Sig art by me || Avatar by Scragster || Busy with work! Might be slow to respond!
Rainbow Dash

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me