Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What do you have rabbits for?

I don't own a rabbit (YET!)
28%
My rabbits are companion pets!
48%
I raise show rabbits!
10%
I use rabbits as a food source
6%
I use them for wool! *starts knitting*
3%
Other...
5%

Total votes : 432

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat V.2 - FRESH! :)

Postby ducky! » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:14 pm

hello!! i've posted on here a few times regarding my Harlequin mix, Pan. so she has her cage in the corner of my bedroom, and recently i pulled it a little further out so i could clean back there and i realized that every time she's out of her cage (i usually leave her in my room alone bc i know i can trust her) she digs up the corner of the rug. i currently don't have anything to put on top of the corner and im worried that whatever i do put there she'll chew instead. as a result, she hasn't been out of her cage in about three days. i was planning on buying something to fix it but school has been occupying my time so much that i haven't had a chance. she's used to being out most of the day every day and it kills me to keep her in there, so does anyone have any suggestions to get her to stop going into the corner??? anything would be greatly appreciated!!!
x

charlie ▫ she/her ▫ english major
i like kpop, jungwoo, dogs,
vanilla lattes, and sleep
Looking for wishlist lions
writingadoption center
sis<3carrd

ducky!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xiangling » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:21 am

grendel wrote:
hello!! i've posted on here a few times regarding my Harlequin mix, Pan. so she has her cage in the corner of my bedroom, and recently i pulled it a little further out so i could clean back there and i realized that every time she's out of her cage (i usually leave her in my room alone bc i know i can trust her) she digs up the corner of the rug. i currently don't have anything to put on top of the corner and im worried that whatever i do put there she'll chew instead. as a result, she hasn't been out of her cage in about three days. i was planning on buying something to fix it but school has been occupying my time so much that i haven't had a chance. she's used to being out most of the day every day and it kills me to keep her in there, so does anyone have any suggestions to get her to stop going into the corner??? anything would be greatly appreciated!!!

mm, you could possibly buy a pen/fence for her, but they're pretty pricey. what i do is find whatever i can to block oreo(my youngest) away from anything, whenever i take her out. you could also change her room, like while the corner isn't being fixed, you can leave her in the living room. depending on her size, you could even let her in the backyard! ruby is big now, so i let her roam the backyard. i hope this helps!
ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ♡‧₊˚ potato mochi tastes so much better when you have something to be happy about!

Image sunny Image fifteen Image any/all
xiangling

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FuzzynCute » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:27 am

I'm unsure of my rabbits breed but he is so cute and acts like we have been starving him

EDIT: picture file size is too big... noooooooooooooo

YOU CAN
┏──────────────────────────┓
eyyy i'm bored as heck and yeahhhhhh -_-_ _-_-
she/her/hers pronouns are fine,i am a lesbian,
big harry potter fan here taking dance this fall,
i love trades so send em my way, i like to draw tradittionally
_I Hecking love The Fault In Our Stars by John Green, My fav book atm

┖──────────────────────────┚
ImageImagex.Image Image

┏───────────────────────┓
credit | link | link
┖───────────────────────┚
YOU CAN
Image Image

FuzzynCute

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:09 pm

FuzzynCute wrote:I'm unsure of my rabbits breed but he is so cute and acts like we have been starving him

EDIT: picture file size is too big... noooooooooooooo

you can upload it to tinypic for free and shrink it.... ? :)

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian
🐰 Beau . Davey . Juniper . Sorren

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wishful Thinking. » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:09 pm

So awhile ago I posted about my first 2 rabbits on here and about possibly getting a 3rd. Well, it took a bad turn. I did adopt a 3rd rabbit from a nearby shelter and it was a mistake. The rabbit I adopted had 2 different parasites and ended up spreading them to my other 2 rabbits. I only know this because I went on vacation 2 weeks ago and a week before we left I made an appointment for her so the vet could look her over in order for her to be boarded there along with the other 2. Because of the parasites they all had they were not able to be boarded and were left with my brother's friend. They were all given medication and should be (hopefully) parasite free at this point. They will all have their stool rechecked by the vet soon to be sure. Now a couple days ago I took the new rabbit back to the vet, she was pretty thin thanks to the worms. The vet checked her over again and got blood work done and I got to take in a urine sample soon as well. The vet thinks she may have a liver problem. I just... I am so mad, how can the shelter put her up for adoption if they knew about this? I know they have vets who work there because it's also a spay/neuter clinic.

Sadly now I'm faced with the decision to rehome them. Once I know they are all healthy, I'm going to start searching for a new good home for them. I have gotten attached to them and I never planned on this but I think it's for the better now. I was not ready for all these vet bills which is costing me a months rent and maybe more if she has a liver problem, this is money that would of gone to having her spayed and now don't have the cash for. My college classes just started up and I'm having trouble buying books for my classes and food for them. They haven't had pellets for 2 weeks now and a couple days I only had treats to give them. (they do have hay now to clarify and hopefully pellets tomorrow) I believe they are better off in another home at this point who can offer them all the food they need all the time and a constant supply of bedding. I didn't expect all this and I'm gonna rethink ever adopting another pet again. I also learned my lesson about trusting shelters over pet stores. The only bright side is that she was adopted by me who had her checked by a vet soon after, if she had gone to someone else the parasites may have not been discovered and treated. I seriously hope though that the other 2 that were caged with her and up for adoption went to homes that discovered them as well :c
Wishful Thinking.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:06 pm

Wishful Thinking. wrote:
    So awhile ago I posted about my first 2 rabbits on here and about possibly getting a 3rd. Well, it took a bad turn. I did adopt a 3rd rabbit from a nearby shelter and it was a mistake. The rabbit I adopted had 2 different parasites and ended up spreading them to my other 2 rabbits. I only know this because I went on vacation 2 weeks ago and a week before we left I made an appointment for her so the vet could look her over in order for her to be boarded there along with the other 2. Because of the parasites they all had they were not able to be boarded and were left with my brother's friend. They were all given medication and should be (hopefully) parasite free at this point. They will all have their stool rechecked by the vet soon to be sure. Now a couple days ago I took the new rabbit back to the vet, she was pretty thin thanks to the worms. The vet checked her over again and got blood work done and I got to take in a urine sample soon as well. The vet thinks she may have a liver problem. I just... I am so mad, how can the shelter put her up for adoption if they knew about this? I know they have vets who work there because it's also a spay/neuter clinic.

Sadly now I'm faced with the decision to rehome them. Once I know they are all healthy, I'm going to start searching for a new good home for them. I have gotten attached to them and I never planned on this but I think it's for the better now. I was not ready for all these vet bills which is costing me a months rent and maybe more if she has a liver problem, this is money that would of gone to having her spayed and now don't have the cash for. My college classes just started up and I'm having trouble buying books for my classes and food for them. They haven't had pellets for 2 weeks now and a couple days I only had treats to give them. (they do have hay now to clarify and hopefully pellets tomorrow) I believe they are better off in another home at this point who can offer them all the food they need all the time and a constant supply of bedding. I didn't expect all this and I'm gonna rethink ever adopting another pet again. I also learned my lesson about trusting shelters over pet stores. The only bright side is that she was adopted by me who had her checked by a vet soon after, if she had gone to someone else the parasites may have not been discovered and treated. I seriously hope though that the other 2 that were caged with her and up for adoption went to homes that discovered them as well :c

@Wishful -

I am so sorry for the situation that you have come to and I'm just here to give you a hug ♥~
I don't know why shelters would do that! The pets that they offer to others should be vet-checked before they are put on sale...

Also, have your original two rabbits got the liver problem from your third bunny or is it only the new one? Because if they haven't and they are mostly healthy now, I suggest trying to re-home the third bunny and keeping the other two but if there is a money-related problem in here then I understand.
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kainé » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:11 am

Hey y'all. I know some of you are more experienced breeders, so I would love to hear from you! I came home from my grandparents today and I found four newborn bunnies in one of my cages. I had all does until about two months ago when we rescued a gorgeous buck from one of my neighbors. Long story short he's a daddy now and I would like some advice when it comes to taking care of babies. We moved them into one of our larger hutches which has a large box and we made a nest out of hay, paper bedding, and the fur she pulled out. They seem healthy and full I'm just a little concerned they got scraped on the wire before I was able to get to them. Also any tips for how to tell if any of my other girls might be preggo? I felt their abdomens but I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for. Thanks for whoever takes the time to read this :D

**Update:
Mom has ajusted to her new temporary home and the babies seem to be doing well except for one, which looks a little thin. I gave her some extra hay but I'm going to give her space so hopefully the little one will be able to nurse.
Kainé

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Burrito Bunny » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:12 pm

Hello!

I've never posted here before, but I have two little buns. I've just started to bond them, and it is going better than I could have ever hoped!

By day 2 (the second session) they were cuddling, flopping into each other, and grooming both themselves and eachother! I am going to continue moving things slowly, but I am so happy for them so far!

Both are rescue buns, so not much is known about their breeds. The grey one, George, is a Holland lop buck, around 5 years old. The white one, Jasmine, is a little 4 month old doe of unknown breed (the shelter labeled her as an American). I had been looking for an older bun, but she was very sweet and really needed a good home.

I got the doe about 2 weeks ago, and kept her pen next to George's. I started bonding yesterday, but nothing much happened except a little fur pulling (motstly they ignored eachother).Today though they are snuggling like the best of friends!!!

I'm so happy! I feared they would fight immediately lol.
Burrito Bunny
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:37 am

RabbitFluffy wrote:Hey y'all. I know some of you are more experienced breeders, so I would love to hear from you! I came home from my grandparents today and I found four newborn bunnies in one of my cages. I had all does until about two months ago when we rescued a gorgeous buck from one of my neighbors. Long story short he's a daddy now and I would like some advice when it comes to taking care of babies. We moved them into one of our larger hutches which has a large box and we made a nest out of hay, paper bedding, and the fur she pulled out. They seem healthy and full I'm just a little concerned they got scraped on the wire before I was able to get to them. Also any tips for how to tell if any of my other girls might be preggo? I felt their abdomens but I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for. Thanks for whoever takes the time to read this :D

**Update:
Mom has ajusted to her new temporary home and the babies seem to be doing well except for one, which looks a little thin. I gave her some extra hay but I'm going to give her space so hopefully the little one will be able to nurse.

why did you let thebuck to all your females without watching who he did breed :?:
so you could have prepared anything for the birth....and put them in big breeding cages and given them bether food bevor the Babys did come....

....only hay is not enough for a mother!!!!... she needs fresh green food (fresh grass, fresh herbs and such...look on a meadow away from streets, or grow it your self), fruit and vegetable, good rabbit food or even one for breeding rabbit,....you Need to look after them carefully each day two times atleast ,even more so the to thin one...if it get worse only a little bit you need the vet...but it still would be best when you call the vet out to your home, as you never had babys and know not much bout there care as it looks.
and as one is hurt the vet can look at it too...(that is why i hate wire ground/bottom cages....they are not good)
an if other are pregnant too..

-> when possible dont touch the babys...or only with hay and hair from the mother between you andthe Baby...the mother could leave them...

..and did you already got new homes for the babys when they are old enough or are they for meat...even more so when you got more females with Babys on the way....and do you know how to help one give birth when one of the other has trouble???

@ Burrito Bunny
that really sounds great, even more so as they are different breed^^ good that you can do it slow! hope you tell more of your two sweets :D

@ Wishful Thinking
you should talk with the shelter you got the rabbit from....they should pay the vet fully or partly as they did give you a sick pet....your vet can help you with this as they can tell how Long the rabbit had this already....
--> you vet could help you with a payment in small part to the Treatment...our clinic does this when asked...

they(the shelter) also need to check in into the other rabbit owner....!
Look into a rabbit rescue, they can help you find a new home

--> you could look at Amazon there are big bags of low prized rabbit food and pellet food, that is not so bad, also straw and hay not is not to high prized....i think...not sure...i dont buy rabbit food ..my mom or sometimes my sister do^^
i had a fast look, maybe this can work:
- Kaytee Forti Diet Pro Health Rabbit Food for Adult Rabbits --10pound, $8.57
- Kaytee Supreme Rabbit Food, 10-lb bag --10pound ,$5.55
- Kaytee Fiesta Rabbit Food, 6.5-lb bag --6.5lb ,$8.73
Supreme Petfoods Tiny Friends Farm Russel Rabbit Food -6lb ,$16.57
Higgins Sunburst Gourmet Rabbit Food Mix, 6 Lbs., Large -6lb , $17.85

Hiland Naturals -50lb Bag Non-GMO Rabbit Pellets W/ SHIPPING INCLUDED

hay and straw you could get for much less from a farm or barn...(i think a bale of horse hay-straw is much less prizy..but it depends on your area....)...or farming-feeding supplies store.. or such.....

on Amazon only found this so:
- Animal Dreams Hay Bale Giant (21kg) $28.64
-STANDLEE HAY COMPANY Timothy Bale, 50 lb ,$45

im really not sure if any of this does help you....but maybe like other did say give the new one to a bether home or all, or keep them....good luck
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me