The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread! V2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What type of rodents do you have?

Rats
27%
Hamsters
17%
Gerbils
5%
Mice
11%
Guinea Pigs
15%
Chinchillas
2%
Degus
1%
None :(
15%
None, but getting some soon!
7%

Total votes : 339

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread! V2

Postby gamorasass » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:49 am

@Agent Maine(Meta) - cute ratto! does he live alone? Rats thrive on companionship and really shouldn't be living by themselves! If he does have someone to live with, then that's great! If not, I suggest getting him a friend.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Agent Maine(Meta) » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:22 am

Right now he does live alone because he is an unfixed male and my other rats are females. He's going to the vet soon to get fixed since I would prefer no Oops litters. So until he gets fixed, I interact with him as regularly as possible. He's usually not in his cage even unless I have to go to bed.

∞|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|∞

>ImageImageImage<
>Personal ryka collection<
>ImageImage<
∞|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|∞
Agent Maine(Meta)

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Roleplayer123 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:00 pm

Hoi, again lol.
With us moving, I've decided to buy another hamster! However, I cannot decide and wish for some advice on some other hamster species (if you've owned them). The main ones I would like to purchase are Syrians, a trio or more of robo dwarves (eeee) or maybe even a Chinese!
♥ Howdy there! ♥
They / them
I am your friendly neighbourhood Roleplayer123!
I’m mostly a lurker, but I’m always looking out for new characters and new roleplay partners!

On a Semi Hiatus!
Roleplayer123

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:54 pm

Agent Maine(Meta) wrote:Right now he does live alone because he is an unfixed male and my other rats are females. He's going to the vet soon to get fixed since I would prefer no Oops litters. So until he gets fixed, I interact with him as regularly as possible. He's usually not in his cage even unless I have to go to bed.
      That's great you have plans to get him neutered! Hopefully he'll be with some new friends soon c: Good idea to keep them separated until then!
    Roleplayer123 wrote:
    Hoi, again lol.
    With us moving, I've decided to buy another hamster! However, I cannot decide and wish for some advice on some other hamster species (if you've owned them). The main ones I would like to purchase are Syrians, a trio or more of robo dwarves (eeee) or maybe even a Chinese!
      I've always loved syrians, though I've never owned a hamster, only ever pet sat them. Hopefully someone else can chime in here soon!

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Roleplayer123 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:52 pm

Ahhhhh I have a dilemma.
At the store I was showing my mother the bin I wanted to get for Phoenix, and talking about how I would make ventilation holes and zip-tie mesh on. She said, ''Well ____, he's going to suffocate! With all the bin 'smells' he'll surely die. And, it's plastic. He'll chew it, and its poison to him!''
1st of all, Phoenix is NOT a big chewer.
2nd, is I don't really know where her knowledge of cages came from.
3rd, I'd add plenty of air holes for ventilation. And if I add none at the bottom, there'd be none to chew.
She thinks that a crittertrail would be okay, as long as I let him out daily. "I'm not that ignorant about hamsters'' She says.
I don't know how to explain 'hamster care' to my mother, but I can't just leave Phoenix with a ''standard'' cage.
If you guys have any idea of how I can explain this to my mother, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Roleplayer123

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:14 am

Roleplayer123 wrote:
    Ahhhhh I have a dilemma.
    At the store I was showing my mother the bin I wanted to get for Phoenix, and talking about how I would make ventilation holes and zip-tie mesh on. She said, ''Well ____, he's going to suffocate! With all the bin 'smells' he'll surely die. And, it's plastic. He'll chew it, and its poison to him!''
    1st of all, Phoenix is NOT a big chewer.
    2nd, is I don't really know where her knowledge of cages came from.
    3rd, I'd add plenty of air holes for ventilation. And if I add none at the bottom, there'd be none to chew.
    She thinks that a crittertrail would be okay, as long as I let him out daily. "I'm not that ignorant about hamsters'' She says.
    I don't know how to explain 'hamster care' to my mother, but I can't just leave Phoenix with a ''standard'' cage.
    If you guys have any idea of how I can explain this to my mother, it'd be greatly appreciated.
      I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I have never had that situation myself, but when I wanted to get rats, I made a PowerPoint for my parents about why I wanted them and a little about them. Maybe you could do a presentation for your Mom about why crittertrail's are bad and why your bin idea is good! Either that or show her some good YouTube videos.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dumezil » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:59 am

Username: Dumezil
      Favorite type of rodent: Mice
      Tell us about your pets: I breed fancy mice as a hobby, and other reasons. I currently am working with Texel, Angora, Silkens, Hairless, and Siamese. The Siamese are established fancy UK show lines, and some of the Silken Angora have lineages over 40 years old according to the breeder and mentor I got them from.
      Other: I am about to have my first litter since beginning this project about two months ago. She was a feeder mouse, and not any particular type, but has a temperament that I am very interested in introducing into my lines. Based on her size, I strongly suspect she will pop in the next day or two and I am super excited.
Dumezil

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:43 am

Welcome Dumezil, can't wait to see the pink little beans soon ^^

I hobby breed fancy rats, though right now I'm only focusing on my mink line
and overall improving the conformation of my other two lines;
A 'Coffee' line and just a fun side project of odd-eyes that I'm working on with another local breeder.
I run the discord (well, gamora does technically, sorry guys ;~;) so feel free to pop in there from time to time c:
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dumezil » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:10 am

Thank you, drift.! Rats are so sweet, and it always blows my mind how smart they are. I cannot wait to post the pinkling beans soon. Is it okay for me to post them in the discord too? My Hairless carrier also is pretty photogenic, and between her and my Texel pair it seems I have some exciting hairless and curly babies coming soon. The discord doesn't look super active so I'm not sure if I am missing any rules! I haven't been active on CS in a couple of years, but I'd like to pick back up again.
Dumezil

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:40 am

Yup! You can post photos in the species-appropriate section! (I think it's called mice_gerbils_degus?) We love seeing everyone's rodents so feel free to post as many photos of your babes as you want! And I agree, sometimes they're a little too smart for their own good :') I have a 7 week houdini from a past litter that tries to sneak out everytime I open the doors

Yeah, it has died down a little, but hopefully with my upcoming litters (and yours) I'll be a bit more active and can slowly rejuvenate it a little.
It's easier for me to pop onto discord than it is CS. There aren't too many rules, it can mainly be summed up to
*No spam
*Keep it on topic (unless it's in the non-rodent discussion)
*Respect the space/Respect other's opinions
*And no bullying/dragging.
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me