Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What do you have rabbits for?

I don't own a rabbit (YET!)
28%
My rabbits are companion pets!
48%
I raise show rabbits!
10%
I use rabbits as a food source
6%
I use them for wool! *starts knitting*
3%
Other...
5%

Total votes : 432

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat V.2 - FRESH! :)

Postby friends dønt lie. » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:57 am

Does anyone know some good ways to introduce new rabbits?

I've owned about 9 rabbits my whole life, but I still can never find a good way to introduce, no matter how much research I do. Right now, I have a 6-month-old female Holland lop named Hazel, and we're about to get her spayed. In about 2 weeks, we're gonna get another Holland lop! This one will also be a female, and we're going to get her spayed too. Any tips? Our cage is about 5x3 ft with a 2x3 ft loft. We also have a separate playpen if it doesn't go well the first day. Any help would be very appreciated! Thank you so much ~

Edit: I just remeasured, the cage is 6x3 ft c:
𝕪𝕖𝕒𝕙...

☁ ☁ ☁

she;her - june 29th
hey there, i'm abby! if
you couldn't tell already, i'm
super obsessed with
stranger things. i also
love it, starbucks,
and pretty much anything
your basic teenage girl
would like. anyway, feel free
to pm me or something whenever,
xxxxx i'd love to chat! xxxxx

coding shop

𝕔𝕣𝕒𝕫𝕪 𝕥𝕠𝕘𝕖𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣
friends dønt lie.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wishful Thinking. » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:42 pm

So I'm considering getting a 3rd rabbit but I'm unsure.

I currently have 2 rabbits (Polish or Netherland dwarf/Lionhead mixes) that I've had for nearly a year now. They are housed in a 10' by 6' pen which gives them lots of space for moving around since they are small. If I get another small breed rabbit would this be an appropriate amount of space? I wouldn't put the new rabbit in with Thea and Georgie right away, I would keep them in a large bin and put it in the same room so they can smell each other and I can keep a close eye on the new rabbit to be sure it's healthy. Then I can put a cage wire divider up in the pen to keep them separated awhile but can smell/see each other. I probably won't try putting them together until the new rabbit is spayed/neutered if it isn't already. Would it be better if the new rabbit is female or male or does that not matter? The current pair I have is male and female and they are neutered/spayed. I've also considered cost and I don't see it being much different. I buy large bags of hay and pellets that last awhile and the grocery store I go to sells the organic greens in pretty large amounts it's difficult to use it all up before it goes bad and a third rabbit would help with that.

So I guess for now I'm kinda on the fence, I do want another rabbit but I don't want to rush into it without another opinion.
Wishful Thinking.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:24 pm

Hello everyone! So, it's been 15 days since Aura's spay, and she's been fine. Her stitches have dissolved and her cut is going away. Although recently (about 4-ish days ago) my sister and I's friend was over and while petting her, she felt a scab on her back? I took her to my mum and grandma, and my dad said to measure it to see if it gets larger/smaller over time. I had a look at it today and it's getting smaller, I think.

One or two days ago, my mum searched it up on the internet and it said had a picture of the scab, looking exactly like Aura's. I'll provide a link to the website below. Replies said that it is a reaction from an injection, meaning that when Aura got her anasthetic and painkiller injection(s), it was a reaction.

I'm just wondering whether or not we should ask the vet about this or not. We've left it a few days, should we leave it a few more? Aura seems to be gine though, I don't think it's hurting her in any way.

A link to the website my mum found -- Strange scab on bunny's back

Edit -- Several days later, the scab shrunk up and eventually fell off, it's healing now which is good ^^
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby paleosuchus » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:43 am

Hi I don't own a rabbit but I am thinking about getting one as a pet, if someone could PM and tell me what it is like to keep them as pets? I know someone who keeps them on a farm and they are willing to sell me one but I want to know about it in more detail before I commit. Also if you owned/own a rabbit in college that would be super helpful to me!!
Selene . they/them
aries . adult
Hoarding the Halloween’22 gummy snakes!
Stay foolish to Stay sane

Pet's name: Gumsworth, Lord of the Gumlings
credit . link . hoard
paleosuchus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:21 am

What a busy week. Fair is finally over. lol I got a call at 9am on wednesday, and was asked to be the judge for the rabbit and pocket pets! I guess there was a mix up and the original judge couldn't make it. I had a pretty good time though and the kids seemed happy with me. Haha I talked to a bunch of them afterward and they said that I made them feel really comfortable. So I am glad about that. :D I remember being so nervous every time I had to do showmanship. :lol:

I also got to meet a really cool cat, two guinea pigs, 2 betta fish and 2 hamsters. :D

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian
🐰 Beau . Davey . Juniper . Sorren

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:58 am

I need a bun bun..
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:20 am

What's everybody been up to? I had another crazy busy week. Lost one of my older guinea pigs, which was kind of sad....

Oh and if anybody has an idea for future poll questions, pm them to me. :D

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby friends dønt lie. » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:50 am

Ah, I'm very sorry for your loss ^

We haven't been having too much of a summer, however it was our first year showing our rabbits in 4H! I have 2 Holland lops at the moment, and they're both very sweet. And, my Holland Hazel who we showed this year won an award! c:

We kinda need to work on taming our baby, Hopper, though. She's only about 2 months old and pretty feisty. Her and Hazel, my older bunny, are perfectly fine with each other, so that's a good thing. We do have a cage divider in for now, until we get Hazel spayed, which we will be doing soon ^•^

Anyway, I really love Holland lops! They are much more family friendly, from what I've seen. We owned 2 mini lop-rex mixes a while ago, and also a mini lop-lionhead mix. Except they were pretty wild. Oh we also had 2 surprise litters :^)

But now, we have Hollands, and I really love them! Yea I loved my other bunnies, but Hollands are a lot more calm from what I've seen. If anyone is thinking about getting a bunny, I would suggest a Holland lop, especially for children. The only problem is they're expensive especially when they're show quality, but they are definitely my favorites (:
𝕪𝕖𝕒𝕙...

☁ ☁ ☁

she;her - june 29th
hey there, i'm abby! if
you couldn't tell already, i'm
super obsessed with
stranger things. i also
love it, starbucks,
and pretty much anything
your basic teenage girl
would like. anyway, feel free
to pm me or something whenever,
xxxxx i'd love to chat! xxxxx

coding shop

𝕔𝕣𝕒𝕫𝕪 𝕥𝕠𝕘𝕖𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣
friends dønt lie.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:50 am

WolfenStarzz wrote:But now, we have Hollands, and I really love them! Yea I loved my other bunnies, but Hollands are a lot more calm from what I've seen. If anyone is thinking about getting a bunny, I would suggest a Holland lop, especially for children. The only problem is they're expensive especially when they're show quality, but they are definitely my favorites (:

Hollands are great. I have a harlequin colored one. His name is Goose. lol

Starwalker123 wrote:I love Holland's so much

Looking forward to showing my girls at fair this weekend

Good luck at the fair!! :mrgreen:

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets