* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Luzien » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:03 am

Erik Destler wrote:Hello. I'm only doing this out of absolute desperation. I rescued a Quaker parrot around two years ago. He came a plucked bird, but once we started communicating and spending a lot of time with him his feathers started to grow in. He's fully flighted, as we have a two-door system for every entrance and exit of my house. He gets fresh veggies with pellets and water in the morning, then in the evening when it's play time he gets fresh fruits, a seed mixture, and fresh water again. He doesn't have reflective bowls anymore, as he was looking at himself and plucking. He's not covered when he sleeps, as he was afraid of the sheet/covering we put over his cage. He's got around six perches in his main cage and a play area on top, two in a smaller sleeping cage, and a large playstand made for an African Grey with a few more perches, and all are full of toys he likes. We communicate, play flying games, and Target train him. He still plucks, though. He's completely plucked other than his head, flight feathers, and tail feathers. We've tried everything, CBD oil (a recommendation, helped temporarily but he's started plucking again), he's on the main floor, in one of the busiest areas in the day. His main cage also looks out into the treetops on two sides, as we live in a house with half an above ground basement. We've really run out of ideas on what to do to make him happier. A second bird is out of the question, as my family really can't handle a second one. Absolutely any suggestions?

a bird who did this once may do this all there life....sorry to say this. :!:
some may stop it fully, some do it now and then like when season Change, some can start again when stressed out or new Situation, sounds, people, animal, toys, but most only do it now and then or at some parts of there Body after they calmed down and feather did grow back in.....

Did you got a full vet check for her/him, also to see what gender too :?:
with blood they can see what may be wrong, x-ray too, some other fluids will be tested too in this test.

You may need to look if your cage is really healthy for birds...

From the Sound of it, your bird gots enough freedom in a room and enough people and interaction over the day....
but did you ever think about this, that your bird may be lonely,..... maybe needs more sunlight (a bird lamp could help at first with this.... or in well closed cage for some time out in the sun with part shade and no air draft) or that it may need a bit more calm place.... :?:
- Zoo Med Labs Aviansun Deluxe Floor Lamp with Aviansun

Maybe write list on when the birds does pluck? in what situation or time of day or with what people he starts this, like when they dont show up for some days-week-month and then come visit, or when the person goes to work or school.... or when there are lots off people in the place, and all that..

But it really can be that you may Need to look into second bird and indoor or outdoor aviary,.... or as mean as it does Sound an forever home with other birds and large aviary healthcare and owner who works with birds who do this and knows what to do that they do it less.... :!:
but for now...you also can learn how to make and Change toys, perches for bird that they can destroy and pluck out straw or whatever in place of there feather...

How often does the bird bath, each day? or how often do you give it a light soft shower with a soft water spray bottle ?
how often do you Change out the toys, or perches, ar they different size and natural Wood? some parts with leaves from apple or such trees to Play and destroy?
Do you give mineral and vitamin supplement for birds too to the feed?

Do you Train your bird...like to flapp its wings to get stronger, to fly a small way...clicker?

There is some oil you could try to use (atleast some parrot owner we did write with, did use something like this one for there parrots when they did pluck or changed feather or just for normal health....and say it worked for them...red natural/organic palm oil for birds)
-Harrison's Bird Food Power Treats with Red Palm Fruit Oil, 1 lb. 454g
- OKONATUR Red Palm Oil for Birds and Parrots - 16 fl oz
- Morning Bird Feather-Glo

...maybe it works....

Amazon. c o m
- Planet Pleasures Spiked Pinata Natural Bird Toy
- Paradise Toys Bird Creative Foraging System Wheel, Spins with Food Inside, 6” Diameter
-SunGrow Bird Chewing Toy
-Bonka Bird Toys Duo Foraging Heart Star Shred Toy Parrot cage Cockatiel African Grey Conure
-Big Birdie Bow Tie Bird Toy - Perfect Cage Toy for Playing and Preening - Colorful, Safe, Cotton Rope

Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nano. » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:16 am

Username: nano.
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): 5 since today :( 3 budgies, a cockatiel and a kakariki
How long have you had them?: I've had birds for less than a year, I think I got my first ones in March.
What brings you to the bird chat?: One of my budgies died, I was looking for a place to talk really. On a brighter note though, I have a rescue cockatiel who I think you'll all enjoy hearing about because she's doing incredible for how short a time I've had her ^^
Last edited by nano. on Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
nano.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WolffeTrash » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:20 am

Username:WolfPackAlpha
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): 3 getting 1
How long have you had them?: maybe 1 year
What brings you to the bird chat?:
Well i came across this and saw everywhere birds. I dont know if a chicken and 2 ducks count but i never have anywhere to talk about them. I hoping this is the place for them and me.
ImageImageImage
70% thinks warrior cats is stupid. 25% say who cares. Repost if you are part of that 5% that would take a hard cover warrior cat book and slap the other people saying, "STARCLAN IS OUT FOR REVENGE!!"
WolffeTrash

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nano. » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:49 am

my kakariki stepped up for the first time ever and he was super excited about it! it was like he'd found a new toy, he was all over me. i know we can't post photos with our faces in them on cs so i can't post any of the ones i took with him on my shoulder and head BUT i have this super cute one of him on my hand with a lil seeb in his mouth! it's sideways and i have no clue why but there's nothing i can do about it haha
he even dropped his rubbish in the bin when he was done lol
nano.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ParaKitty » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:34 pm

I was wondering if efferdent tablets would be safe for cleaning water bowls?

Hello there c:
Capricorn sun & moon
Physically & mentally tired
Have a good day ♥

ParaKitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:29 am

ParaKitty wrote:I was wondering if efferdent tablets would be safe for cleaning water bowls?

why do you want to use something like this? normal hot water cleaning each day is already good enough for bird stainless steel food and water bowls , or you use hot water and some pet safe natural liquid dish soap, that 100% Nontoxic , this is more than enough.... when you do it each day and dont let the bowls get all dirty ...
and when you really like you can throw them once a week-month into the dishwasher, and after wash i out with hot water.
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eyulf » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:56 pm

Luzien wrote:
ParaKitty wrote:I was wondering if efferdent tablets would be safe for cleaning water bowls?

why do you want to use something like this? normal hot water cleaning each day is already good enough for bird stainless steel food and water bowls , or you use hot water and some pet safe natural liquid dish soap, that 100% Nontoxic , this is more than enough.... when you do it each day and dont let the bowls get all dirty ...
and when you really like you can throw them once a week-month into the dishwasher, and after wash i out with hot water.

Agreed with Luzien. I personally have a spray bottle with half white vinegar half water, and a about half a teaspoon of dishwashing soap, and a small scrub brush, I spray the vinegar mix over my budgies dishes, rub it all over with the brush and rinse well. Vinegar is disinfecting, and not harmful to the birds. Although if food or poop is stuck and is being tough let the dishes soak for a little while.

Another tip I've learnt, a little toothpaste with a cloth wet with white vinegar, will get stuck poop off a wall, window sill, desk and other such surfaces, just wipe with a damp cloth after to remove any toothpaste residue.
---------------

I currently have 4 budgies, uh it's not meant to be that way, the situation of 3 of them turned me into a bird lady overnight :lol:
Jangle my lutino definitely female now that she's almost a year old, she hatched the day after my birthday in May, she going strong, I learnt she gets bitey when hormonal, mid february to mid March was fun, my hands barley survived. :lol:
I also now have Ollie (short for Oliver or Olive) not sure Ollies gender yet. Ollie is an orphan, the little green, yellow and blue-green fluff was spotted in the corner on the floor of the aviary, Ollie had lept from the nest box about 4-5 feet off the ground, being all alone as siblings and parents had passed away, I hand fed the little one, the fluff was a good eater, and loved a good after meal cuddle, still loves a before birdie bed time cuddle, and will face plant when totally blissing out on a good head scratch. Ollie has a lovable gentle nature, and Jangle gets along with the fluff and loves having a friend again.

Now the other two budgies are also rescues like Ollie, the Mother abandoned them, so they came to me for hand raising and hand taming, and I have permission to find them their forever home. Amusing thing is one is a lutino and the other green and yellow. They had a beak issue forming due to a crust forming on it from when their mother fed them, I got it off, though once they were eating seed, pellets and other foods I added cuttle bone to their food for calcium and their beaks improved and look pretty normal now.
They started to get sick, and I knew it was worms (passed on from their Mother) as Jangle taught me the signs to notice for this issue, so I wormed them, the green and yellow faired well, but the little lutino took it hard, the medication didn't agree with the poor thing, the lutino is almost a week younger than the green and yellow, so I took the little fluff wrapped it in a microfiber cloth and just cuddled it, the little fluff trusted me so much it fell into a deep sleep scaring the ever loving heck out of me as I thought it had passed away, a little chirp told me other wise. The little one kept drinking water, and tried a little seed for me though regurgitated it back up (wasn't foamy or sticky to be vomit) a little while later, so the next day I made a very small amount of formula, very liquid so it was like having some water, but at least the formula gave a little nutrition and it stayed put, no regurgitation, I put the little fluff in the nest box with a dish of water over night and when I couldn't hold it for warmth. With a couple days of cuddles, deep sleep, and formula the little fluff came good and is well again, it's been a few weeks now and it's flying around just as strong as the other budgies. Granted the fluff now loves to get on my shoulder, hide under my hair and play with my earring and just be with me.

Now that quarantine has well and truly passed and the little lutino is well, imagine my fun when rounding them all up when playtime is over, 2 lutino and 2 green and yellow. Ollie has screamed at me a few times in a "WRONG GREEN BIRD MOMMA!!" manner when I've picked up the fluff instead of the other green one :lol:
Believe it or not the 2 lutinos are a bit easier to tell apart, Jangle is a slightly brighter yellow and the biggest being the oldest, the other lutino is a paler yellow and smaller, out of all the budgies is the easiest to pick up, step up and approach.
What's more amusing is watching Jangle get puzzled over which green budgie is which :lol: she's had a case of mistaken identity a few times. I've never seen a bird give such a "What the HECK?! Mom!" look when I walked in the room with Jangle and Ollie living mirror images :lol: :what: :D

I've had the young budgies advertised for sale since March 3rd (were 8 1/2 - 9 weeks old) though there's been barely any interest. With the Covid19 pandemic that is the main focus for people understandably not a new pet friend. So for now the unnamed young budgies are remaining with me. I'm trying not to get attached as they may go to a new home yet, except the little ones seem to be getting attached to me.
(I'm in Australia)

Edit: Today the following day of the above, the lutino and green budgie went to their new home, their owner seemed really nice and has experience owning budgies, they'll have an indian ringneck friend.
I miss them already! :cry:
My Birthday 7th May

Eyulf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wlw » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:51 pm

hey yall, been quite a while since i've posted here! so, i'm trying to make perches out of tree branches from our maple outside, and i need some advice. we've already scraped all the bark off, but the next step says to soak it in a bleach and water solution. i've also heard a lot of people say they never had to soak it in the solution, and that their bird enjoys their natural perches/toys just fine. anyone have advice? am i okay once all the bark is scraped off, or should i take another step in cleaning it?

simon - she/he | art thread
wlw

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby alouetta » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:53 pm

shadowsight wrote:hey yall, been quite a while since i've posted here! so, i'm trying to make perches out of tree branches from our maple outside, and i need some advice. we've already scraped all the bark off, but the next step says to soak it in a bleach and water solution. i've also heard a lot of people say they never had to soak it in the solution, and that their bird enjoys their natural perches/toys just fine. anyone have advice? am i okay once all the bark is scraped off, or should i take another step in cleaning it?

if you've scraped all of the bark off, then there's no need for bleach. i feel like the bleach would probably be worse for your bird than excess dirt or something from outside.
alouetta

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Magpie• » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:46 pm

(I think I've been accepted as a member on here 2 times and then taken away?)

Anyways, my budgies love golden peaches and cos lettuce but they just won't eat anything else.
Any tips on how to get them to try something different. I've put kale in their cage but they just don't try new things.
Magpie
Mag
▪︎She/her, Minor
▪︎NZ
▪︎Bird enthusiast
▪︎Avid horror game enjoyer
▪︎Pigeons.
▪︎ Lived my dream and I'm
going to do it again <3

Magpie•

My pets
My items