* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Luzien » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:32 am

Bendy and Boris wrote:Hey guys, small update on losing birds. I lost another baby bird a couple weeks ago. Found him laying by the food dish. The day before, Pip had seemed very healthy. The only baby bird to survive is Peanut and he currently is staying in my cage with his dad because his adoptive mom has more fertile eggs and has gotten aggressive around Peanut. At least 3 eggs are fertile (the other 4 were so recently laid it's still hard to tell) and she recently laid her 7th egg. I still miss Frost and the babies that passed but I'm feeling more hopeful. Peanut acts a lot like Frost even though he has never met her. Peanut even has that little patch on the back of his head like hers though Peanut's is yellow while Frost's was white. Peanut has blue, green, yellow, black, and white feathers (the white is on his wing tips while the blue and green fight for dominance on the feathers. A lot of the feathers ended up a blue-green but some of those have some blue on him. ) his tail feathers are yellow and blue

when so many birds did die so fast....did your vet atleast check them out and the aviary there where in? to know what was wrong... :?:
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eyulf » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:45 am

Jangle my lutino budgie is doing well, she's started sharing food, she's still a little scared, but if I'm eating an apple she'll have a lick or nibble, and the other day she had cherry for the first time, like the apple she was nibbling or licking when I offered.

She's a chip warden though, if I've got a bag of them on my desk and I try to put my hand in or take it out, she pounces and attacks (playfully) :lol: "No chips Mom, only apples!" :lol:

I'm also trying to teach her "Hello." "Good morning sweet-pea." "I love you." and "Night night." The most common things I say to her. The native birds, more so the lorikeets, are teaching her, "SCREEEECH SCREECH SQAAAWWWKK REEEE SCREEEECH." :lol:
My Birthday 7th May

Eyulf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:15 am

I'm thinking about getting Zazu a heated perch for Christmas. He loooves snuggling up in clothes straight out of the dryer so I think he'd like it. Anyone have good experiences with heated perches? Brand recommendations? I've seen a few I like on Amazon but I do have a tiny part of me that is terrified of getting one that somehow malfunctions and burns his feet (seems to be pretty rare but...paranoid).
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eyulf » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:30 am

Pyjaks wrote:I'm thinking about getting Zazu a heated perch for Christmas. He loooves snuggling up in clothes straight out of the dryer so I think he'd like it. Anyone have good experiences with heated perches? Brand recommendations? I've seen a few I like on Amazon but I do have a tiny part of me that is terrified of getting one that somehow malfunctions and burns his feet (seems to be pretty rare but...paranoid).

I'd say do a lot of research and read reviews, if there's a heated perch with good reviews, then get it. But I'd also say use it sparingly, like have it on on an extra cool night or morning. But if you're still not sure and the paranoia of a malfunction and burning his feet out weighs everything, let him keep adorably snuggling in the warm fresh clean clothes.

I've got a big microfiber cloth and some smaller ones, my Budgies loved snuggling under those warmed up, the microfiber also holds the birds own warmth. A lifesaver since I got them late, very late Fall (Autumn) and the start of winter. So perhaps an alternative a nice microfiber cloth to snuggle under, as you can toss it in anytime to warm up with the drying clothes. My budgies never chew the microfiber, they nibble it, I still watch for loose threads.

My budgie got sick she'd indulged on millet for the first time, but we were wondering if the millet she had was off or tainted in some way. A night bundled up in a small box layered with microfiber cloths (she got wrapped up like a birdie burrito) and the thick large cloth around and over the box, and frequent seed and water checks, the next morning she was up and about, got herself out of the box and joined her buddy back in the cage, but not before a big Momma cuddle. She's a cuddle bug, I'm so glad she hasn't stopped the occasional cuddle against my chest.

She's been perfectly fine and well, other than a worm issue end of last month. She turned 7 months old last Sunday.

A story in example of the cloths warmth.
My Birthday 7th May

Eyulf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby InfernoVulpes » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:29 am

Hello I have a question. Can a Rainbow Lorikeet breed with a coconut lorikeet? I just got a female Lorikeet named Skittles and I was under the impression she was a rainbow Lorikeet but she's a coconut lorikeet.

Hello, I am SamuraiWolfWarriors. You can call me SWW or just wolf if you prefer. I am a girl so I prefer she/her. I love to chat so don't be afraid to shoot over a Pm. I love TV shows, cartoons and Anime especially Fairy Tail.
InfernoVulpes

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eyulf » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:52 pm

Jangle, her first Christmas, on my shoulder playing with my snowflake earrings :lol:
She looks like she's smiling :D

Merry Christmas Every-birdy!
My Birthday 7th May

Eyulf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby navybluechilipeppers » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:42 am

Hey guys - do you remember me?
I went on a short vacation recently and gave my blue budgie, pixel, to a friend for the week.
I came to pick her up today and I was sad to find out he died.
I miss her very much.
RIP Pixel
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▒▒
▒▒
▒▒
░░
░░
░░

SAPPHIRE
─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─
hello ! :)
─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─
░░
░░
░░
▒▒
▒▒
▒▒
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
navybluechilipeppers

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eyulf » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:55 am

navybluechilipeppers wrote:Hey guys - do you remember me?
I went on a short vacation recently and gave my blue budgie, pixel, to a friend for the week.
I came to pick her up today and I was sad to find out he died.
I miss her very much.
RIP Pixel

I'm sorry for your loss. It's amazing how such little beings can fill us with so much love.

I was uploading pics and vids of my budgies, and Jangle was fascinated seeing herself, though got puzzled and a little sad seeing Bo she put her little beak to my cheek, then moved to put her beak to the screen. She seems to understand he's not with us, but the images are forever memories.

I'm here cause I'm a little nervous, I just got a call from my Mom who's on the way home with friend, they've got a baby budgie for me to look after, it's lost it's parents and siblings. I don't know how old it is. I'm going to have to be careful I don't want to possibly spread anything to Jangle, I know to quarantine, thankfully I've got the room to do so.

Jangle is a delicate soul and now used to being by herself. Oof and what if seeing a baby possible makes her feel hormonal, I don't want her laying eggs, it's one of the things that scares me, if she got egg bound.

Edit:
It's been some hours since the above. The little budgie is adorable, I'd say it's 3 1/2 weeks - 4 weeks old, and has taken to the formula like a champ, it's even trying it's best to preen. I've got the little one inside a box that's inside Jangle's living room cage, it's summer where I am at the moment, so no chance of the little one getting cold, the box has a cover and I put Jangles fleece blanket over the cage, in case of any drafts.
This baby was lucky, as by chance my Mom was at the aviary looking for a different budgie, and noticed the little one on the ground. No one had any idea how long it had been out of the nest box or how long it had been since the parents and siblings had passed away. It was brought to me as I have the time to give regular feeds.
It's a strong little soul, still a fledgling and it's left the nest box, and those aren't all that low to the ground, it loves giving it's wings a good flap.
I've named the little sweetie Ollie short for Oliver or Olive, depending on gender later, as the little one's feathers are green and yellow, and on it's back it's a kind of olive green which had me think of the name, fitting too since the little one is an orphan (Oliver Twist).

If Jangle takes to Ollie and they get along, then Ollie will likely stay. If not Ollie will be found a loving home since the little one will be a hand raised bird.

Jangle is fine, but was lucky again. This evening Mom didn't double check that it was okay to put the ceiling fans on in the living room, as we'd had the air conditioner on, Jangle wasn't safe in the room yet, and yes she flew into the living room was startled at the fans, thankfully they were just starting up so not fast, one did clip her as we heard the sound, she flew to above the back door, I called her to me as I went to the kitchen which is away from the fans, she flew straight to me, and I held her to me and went straight to the room. All her movement is fine, it was time for her to go to her cage for the night anyway, so she sat in there preening away, she's found the perfect spot on one of her natural perches to rub her head, she's itchy with pin feathers. So preening as normal, and playing with her cage toys before sleep, I think she'll be fine if not a little bruised again.
My Birthday 7th May

Eyulf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby laika. » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:59 am

Hello. I'm only doing this out of absolute desperation. I rescued a Quaker parrot around two years ago. He came a plucked bird, but once we started communicating and spending a lot of time with him his feathers started to grow in. He's fully flighted, as we have a two-door system for every entrance and exit of my house. He gets fresh veggies with pellets and water in the morning, then in the evening when it's play time he gets fresh fruits, a seed mixture, and fresh water again. He doesn't have reflective bowls anymore, as he was looking at himself and plucking. He's not covered when he sleeps, as he was afraid of the sheet/covering we put over his cage. He's got around six perches in his main cage and a play area on top, two in a smaller sleeping cage, and a large playstand made for an African Grey with a few more perches, and all are full of toys he likes. We communicate, play flying games, and Target train him. He still plucks, though. He's completely plucked other than his head, flight feathers, and tail feathers. We've tried everything, CBD oil (a recommendation, helped temporarily but he's started plucking again), he's on the main floor, in one of the busiest areas in the day. His main cage also looks out into the treetops on two sides, as we live in a house with half an above ground basement. We've really run out of ideas on what to do to make him happier. A second bird is out of the question, as my family really can't handle a second one. Absolutely any suggestions?
laika.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Oliverstorm » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:11 am

Hey guys!! I didn't ever post frequently and I'm mostly a lurker, but I have some exciting news.
I have a blue parakeet named Lake. He was my second bird ever, and I got him a cagemate, an albino named Prussia, to keep him company. Turns out, I've got a male and a female, and they had six eggs. One was a dud, another got cracked, but right now we're sitting at three hatched and another due in two days! This is my first time having baby birds! The two are great parents and I can't wait to handle them in four or five weeks.
My question becomes, I wasn't expecting babies, and I have a society cage with the two parakeets as well as two cockatiels. My roommate and I are moving within the month and we can't put it off. I'm so nervous that somehow, Prussia will abandon the babies, or the cockatiels will accidentally harm them as they come out of the nest. Any advice on what I should do?
Oliverstorm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me