* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby αηgεℓ ∂υsт » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:45 pm

hey guys.. im feeling devastated as i just lost 2 birds within hours of each other. my bird Frost:
Image (this image was taken the day before she passed away)

and one of her chicks passed away and i honestly miss Frost so terribly... i had her for about 6 years and she was my baby. she left behind another chick and her friend/baby daddy, Poppy. he doesnt seem to be taking her loss as hard as i am, but i know him and the other chick need me. i do miss the chick that pass but i didnt know it as long as i knew Frost...

Rest in peace, Frost. I miss you
αηgεℓ ∂υsт

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eyulf » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:15 pm

I'm here with sad news.

Bo my budgie, died in my arms at around 4pm today. By this afternoon he had his beak open panting, he passed from a respiratory infection, he let out a soft pirp during one of his 3 seizures that happened before he passed, his little spirit left as I cradled him in my hands. I let Jangle know, showing her, she sat on my left shoulder a short while later, got head scratches and buried her beak into my fingers. I'm hoping upon all that is good that she doesn't get the infection. I've removed anything Bo had access to, scrubbed out food and water dishes.
Just wish and hope for me that Jangle soars with life. She's eating and drinking well currently. I'm keeping an eye out for the tail bob. Earlier today I picked her up and held her to my ear, first her front then her back, to listen for any crackling in her chest, there wasn't any, just the soft budup budup budup of her little heart, oh and her growling ha ha, well, I'd growl too if my human Mother was holding me to their ear like a 'bird phone' .... Jangle is lutino, bird (banana) phone :lol: ... she also had to poop as she ran off and did a serious tail wriggle when I put her down.

I'll add a link to a short video later, a picture for now.
Attachments
DSCI0036.JPG
Bo Bird on the cage door.
DSCI0036.JPG (137.56 KiB) Viewed 167 times
My Birthday 7th May

Eyulf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xx_Garfzilla_xx » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:48 am

its almost Connors bday !! hes gonna turn 1 years old nov 29th annoying yet I love him
Attachments
my ears hurt.jpg
my ears hurt.jpg (23.98 KiB) Viewed 111 times

Happy Pride
xx_Garfzilla_xx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby corvus corax » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:44 am

Bendy and Boris wrote:hey guys.. im feeling devastated as i just lost 2 birds within hours of each other. my bird Frost:
Image (this image was taken the day before she passed away)

and one of her chicks passed away and i honestly miss Frost so terribly... i had her for about 6 years and she was my baby. she left behind another chick and her friend/baby daddy, Poppy. he doesnt seem to be taking her loss as hard as i am, but i know him and the other chick need me. i do miss the chick that pass but i didnt know it as long as i knew Frost...

rest in peace birdies...
it's always tough to lose pets so close together. i hope your other birds are doing well

Eyulf wrote:I'm here with sad news.

Bo my budgie, died in my arms at around 4pm today. By this afternoon he had his beak open panting, he passed from a respiratory infection, he let out a soft pirp during one of his 3 seizures that happened before he passed, his little spirit left as I cradled him in my hands. I let Jangle know, showing her, she sat on my left shoulder a short while later, got head scratches and buried her beak into my fingers. I'm hoping upon all that is good that she doesn't get the infection. I've removed anything Bo had access to, scrubbed out food and water dishes.
Just wish and hope for me that Jangle soars with life. She's eating and drinking well currently. I'm keeping an eye out for the tail bob. Earlier today I picked her up and held her to my ear, first her front then her back, to listen for any crackling in her chest, there wasn't any, just the soft budup budup budup of her little heart, oh and her growling ha ha, well, I'd growl too if my human Mother was holding me to their ear like a 'bird phone' .... Jangle is lutino, bird (banana) phone :lol: ... she also had to poop as she ran off and did a serious tail wriggle when I put her down.

I'll add a link to a short video later, a picture for now.

not bo!! poor baby ( may he rest in peace
you did the right thing afterwards by diseinfecting everyrhing and checking jangle. good job )

bitsandbones wrote:its almost Connors bday !! hes gonna turn 1 years old nov 29th annoying yet I love him

on a happy note, happy birthday connor! D
(yeah i know the feeling of loving an annoying bird friend lol)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
i don't bite (unlike half the animals i work with lmao)
bird chat | weird pet stuff | trades | pet site | credit
|
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
corvus corax

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby navybluechilipeppers » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:39 pm

Rest In Peace, all the little birdies!
I wish you all well. ❤️
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▒▒
▒▒
▒▒
░░
░░
░░

SAPPHIRE
─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─
hello ! :)
─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─
░░
░░
░░
▒▒
▒▒
▒▒
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
navybluechilipeppers

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eyulf » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:06 am

Thank you, I'm missing Bo greatly. Thankfully Jangle seems to be coping and accepting she's on her own, she's become even more attached to me though.

On Jangle being attached to me, she makes it difficult to leave the room and wants to follow. This led to her having an accident, she is 100 percent fine!! I left the room through the walk through closet (it connects the bedroom and the bathroom) pulled the door closed but it must not have closed properly, it was a breezy day.
Next thing my Mom and I hear a fluttering and suddenly Jangle appears! in the hallway and lands on a picture :shock: :what: :shock: Mom and I get very explicative in our language as we frantically run around to get ceiling fans turned off, it's almost summer where I am, Jangle flew into my old bedroom I'd been in there getting dressed and hadn't turned the fan off yet, and yes the poor thing met the fan, thankfully it was on a low setting and when she fell it was onto a soft bed. I scooped her up and took her into the other bedroom and checked her over, at first she had her left leg held to her, as the shock of it all and the initial pain (we all know what it's like to kick our toe) subsided she relaxed, she flew, walked and climbed fine, her appetite was fine. I think it helped that I got her to the bedroom and just cuddled her, I lent back against the bed and just let her snuggle against my chest with my hand over her so she was safe, relaxed and warm.
Next day she was understandably tender so I made up some apple, carrot and turmeric 'juice', turmeric is good for inflammation, carrot gives a vitamin A boost. I think it helped as she flew to me, and had a cuddle for 2 hours, she just snuggled up under my chin and feeling safe she went into a deep sleep, I could feel her breathing and heart beat against my hand.

November is not Jangles month though. Yesterday she seemed quieter, fluffed up, her poop a bit on the wet runny side, yet I realised she was eating more often, and drinking the same, and it was all staying down, she wasn't throwing up or anything. So something in me said, "Give her some worming medication." you know can't hurt.... I check on her later.... and low and behold yet so EWWWW!! there's worms on the paper of the floor of her cage.
It's now over 24 hours later, her poop is back to normal, the pooping out of worms has slowed, and she's not fluffing up. She even helped me change out her water dishes, and seed dishes, flew around enthusiastically. Picking up some Apple Cider Vinegar to put a little in her water to help her tummy with any bacteria that might try to form since her digestive system would be likely a little weak from the worms.

If she gets through all this, then she's one tough little feather fluff.

Sorry for the long post :oops:

bitsandbones wrote:
its almost Connors bday !! hes gonna turn 1 years old nov 29th annoying yet I love him

Happy Early Birthday Connor! :)
My Birthday 7th May

Eyulf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aidoneus » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:56 am

allo!

I currently own 2 beautiful green cheek conures, who have bonded pretty strongly.

Here's my issue though, my male conure, Cosmo, is "feral". To put it into words. Although I did adopt him and his female companion gadget from a really nice shelter when both were babies, he hates people. Gadget doesn't have this issue though, but I think I have an idea as to why cosmo really doesn't like people. He was orginally a Petco bird and apparently they were really aggressive when clipping his wings (they've grown back since then so he is able to fly now) and that might have caused his trauma and resent towards people. Another reason is the fact he wasn't my bird at the start. I really wanted a conure about 3 years ago today, and I did a lot of research for about 9 months and filled 2 or 3 notebooks full of information. I was dedicated to giving my bird, who is now gadget, a great life. My older sister wanted a conure as well, but unfortunately lied about her knowledge on this poor guy. So we adopted both birds, as soon as i got home i let gadget adjust to her surroundings and left her "alone" for 2 days, i use alone lightly because i still talked to her and fed her and all that. I just didn't touch her or bother her. Meanwhile my older sister put him in his cage and shut it and that was that. She sat on the couch and just watched him. No bonding no nothing. I tried to interact with cosmo and get him used to somebody but that had no affect. Eventually my sister caved in to my requests and I now have full ownership of cosmo. My question overall is, what do I do? I have reached out to my avian doctor but the advice they gave me was to take gadget away from him and interact with him 1 on 1 but the poor guy almost had a cow! So I put him back with gadget and he was okay. I really hope to give my lil guy a better life. Hes currently 3 so I know he has some time but If i should start at all it's now.

thanks in advance for any advice given!

(Should probably add this!)

Username: Peach<3
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): 2!
How long have you had them?: 3 years today :)
What brings you to the bird chat?: needing advice also I just like looking through the cute pictures of birds and the habitat setup goals
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Image Image
██████████████████████
𝐠𝐢𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐝 𝐢𝐧 𝐠𝐨𝐥𝐝

─────────────
Full time Student
-
Artist
THDA
art shop
└──────
Aidoneus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eyulf » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:27 am

@Peach
Perhaps try some of the suggestions I've made on the previous pages to Monarch's Rein. :)

Jangle is doing pretty well, there seems to be no ill effects after the fan accident, her eating and drinking is back to normal after the worm issue. She's even back to 'styling' my hair for me, poop mousse is a thing now, ha ha eww.
Typical kid, I'm eating an apple, banana, carrot, or strawberry, and Jangle is all Awh heck nope!... I'm eating spicy chicken flavor Doritios... "Hey momma whatcha got there I can has taste, come on Momma just a licky, come on please, fine I jump on the bag and ATTACK your hand when you reach for chips, I can't has, you can't has -charge!- pip pip pip pwee! -attack!-"

Oh haha I just noticed I have poop on my keyboard :lol: I had Jangle with me while on my PC today, it's hot and she was panting slightly, so I set up the tower fan and had it blowing on us while we watched budgie videos. :)
My Birthday 7th May

Eyulf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sinensys » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:02 am

@peach, i'm no avian doctor, but i'll leave my two cents.

if you want a "faster" bond between you and cosmo, then the vet is right, and separating him from gadget and having him only interact with you is the way to go. birds are flock animals, but it is possible for humans to be part of that flock. in this case, you would be "replacing" gadget's role in cosmo's life with yourself. that being said, i personally wouldn't be able to separate them and keep them in the same house, so i totally get why you're asking for more advice. there's a chance that your avian vet interpreted cosmo's behaviour as a form of aggression caused by pairing / choosing a mate, but the way you've written the post just gives me stress vibes, to be honest.

there's another process of taming, but it'll definitely take longer. this would keep cosmo and gadget together, but you would need to interact little by little as you would with one bird. i personally have two budgies and a tiel at the moment, all rescues, and that's how my budgies usually live with me; they share a cage and keep each other company, but they're used to me enough not to panic and bite when i reach into the cage to change food and water or when i offer a hand to step up and let them play on top of the cage. my budgies don't seek me out for contact like my cockatiel does (he was neglected and lived in isolation for a year, so he's a different case) but they don't fear me. i talk to them and play them music, but i don't usually handle them as much (handle as in bring with me around the house) so i think if you tried and you actively tried to be a part of their flock (which is something i don't actively do with my budgies), you could get somewhere with cosmo and gadget.

i know i'm a little late, but i hope this helps somehow! feel free to ask me if i said something that doesn't make sense - i'm running on four hours of sleep, oops.

on a slightly different note, my cockatiel kesha has started being interested in "exploring" and in whistling more! my first cockatiel a few years back was super curious and loved to be able to peer into dark dark spaces, like door cracked open slightly to reveal a dark closet lr dark pantry (i'd call them 'secrets'), and when i first rescued kesha, all he wanted was to be near me. it's small, but it's progress !! if kesha can climb out of a depression, it means i'm doing something right. c':
sinensys

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby αηgεℓ ∂υsт » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:40 am

Hey guys, small update on losing birds. I lost another baby bird a couple weeks ago. Found him laying by the food dish. The day before, Pip had seemed very healthy. The only baby bird to survive is Peanut and he currently is staying in my cage with his dad because his adoptive mom has more fertile eggs and has gotten aggressive around Peanut. At least 3 eggs are fertile (the other 4 were so recently laid it's still hard to tell) and she recently laid her 7th egg. I still miss Frost and the babies that passed but I'm feeling more hopeful. Peanut acts a lot like Frost even though he has never met her. Peanut even has that little patch on the back of his head like hers though Peanut's is yellow while Frost's was white. Peanut has blue, green, yellow, black, and white feathers (the white is on his wing tips while the blue and green fight for dominance on the feathers. A lot of the feathers ended up a blue-green but some of those have some blue on him. ) his tail feathers are yellow and blue

Rest in peace, Frost. I miss you
αηgεℓ ∂υsт

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me