* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Monarch's Reign » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:50 am

So they're just supposed to be a handful lol? He's such a little rotter! Today my dad was very sure that he was telling us to "Shut up!", which is very in-character for this little jerk. ^-^

I'm mostly just wondering how to stop him from just being so vicious! This little butt will chew at sleeves until he can get a reaction - usually very satisfying bc I'll give him a good OW!! in response.
Monarch's Reign

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kaizoku » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:59 am

Birdsforlife wrote:
Birdsforlife wrote:Username: Birdsforlife
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): 2 budgies
How long have you had them?: 2 years :>
What brings you to the bird chat?:
Birds!

Not sure if i was added to the list?

Don’t believe the owner of the thread is active anymore, so not to worry! Welcome and welcome to Monarchs Reign as well!

nix ♡ he/him
gaming + anime
medical scientist
need help?
newbie guide & index
Kaizoku

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby corvus corax » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:06 am

Monarch's Reign wrote:So they're just supposed to be a handful lol? He's such a little rotter! Today my dad was very sure that he was telling us to "Shut up!", which is very in-character for this little jerk. ^-^

I'm mostly just wondering how to stop him from just being so vicious! This little butt will chew at sleeves until he can get a reaction - usually very satisfying bc I'll give him a good OW!! in response.

yeah they're just a "handful" compared to a few other avian critters i've worked with (esp zamir, the little butt). the most important tip i can give is to mostly ignore bad behavior. involuntary responses are normal and if your birb is doing something dangerous you should stop him, but if you yell/etc it actually encourages the behavior in a weird sort of way. also if he's being nice, praise him and shower him with love ). also always give him toys!! new toys, too! especially with nanday conures -- those are very clever little fellas and they get bored easily.
Last edited by corvus corax on Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
i don't bite (unlike half the animals i work with lmao)
bird chat | weird pet stuff | trades | pet site | credit
|
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
corvus corax

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eyulf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Monarch's Reign wrote:So they're just supposed to be a handful lol? He's such a little rotter! Today my dad was very sure that he was telling us to "Shut up!", which is very in-character for this little jerk. ^-^

I agree with what Corvus has said. I'll add...

Perhaps try a time out, as that "Ow" is exactly what your bird is looking for. Or figure a treat your bird likes and try some target training, If you have a T stand or some form of stand, be in a neutral zone, no distractions, have a say chopstick, and a clicker or something that makes a good audible obvious click. The idea is each time your bird touches the end of the chopstick but doesn't grab it or bite it, you click then offer a treat.

I had an Alexandrine, I'd never had a parrot only ever budgies or cockateils. So I looked online, I found Bird Tricks to be very helpful, they have youtube videos, a site, a blog, Jamieleigh and Dave, I found helped me a lot. They show target training, it worked as I could put my hands near my Alexandrine and not get bitten, it also led to me being able to have the Alexandrine go to a perch I wanted him to, I'd tap the perch with the chopstick and say "Come to perch." and he would, eventually I could just tap the perch with my finger and say "Come to perch." and he would.
They even teach about reward value, say your bird likes Almonds, don't give it the whole almond as it takes to long to eat, break it into smaller pieces, using the one almond for the whole touch training session. Later if your bird sits on you and you don't get a bite and it doesn't chew your sleeves, then reward with a full almond. It shows the bird if it's done something good and has behaved, then something good comes from it.

Currently with my Budgies, Bo will bite on occasion, if Jangle sees him doing it a bit too rough she has 'words' with him and chases him off, or he gets a "No, that's not nice." from me and gets set down, and I won't let him back on me for a few minutes. That's a form of time out.
My Birthday 7th May

Eyulf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby corvus corax » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:41 pm

Eyulf wrote:

I agree with what Corvus has said. I'll add...

Perhaps try a time out, as that "Ow" is exactly what your bird is looking for. Or figure a treat your bird likes and try some target training, If you have a T stand or some form of stand, be in a neutral zone, no distractions, have a say chopstick, and a clicker or something that makes a good audible obvious click. The idea is each time your bird touches the end of the chopstick but doesn't grab it or bite it, you click then offer a treat.

I had an Alexandrine, I'd never had a parrot only ever budgies or cockateils. So I looked online, I found Bird Tricks to be very helpful, they have youtube videos, a site, a blog, Jamieleigh and Dave, I found helped me a lot. They show target training, it worked as I could put my hands near my Alexandrine and not get bitten, it also led to me being able to have the Alexandrine go to a perch I wanted him to, I'd tap the perch with the chopstick and say "Come to perch." and he would, eventually I could just tap the perch with my finger and say "Come to perch." and he would.
They even teach about reward value, say your bird likes Almonds, don't give it the whole almond as it takes to long to eat, break it into smaller pieces, using the one almond for the whole touch training session. Later if your bird sits on you and you don't get a bite and it doesn't chew your sleeves, then reward with a full almond. It shows the bird if it's done something good and has behaved, then something good comes from it.

Currently with my Budgies, Bo will bite on occasion, if Jangle sees him doing it a bit too rough she has 'words' with him and chases him off, or he gets a "No, that's not nice." from me and gets set down, and I won't let him back on me for a few minutes. That's a form of time out.

the chopstick training is a really cool idea! i know this wasn't directed at me, but i'll definitely go check that youtube out. zamir knows the name of a few "perches" ('my shoulder, 'their shoulder,' 'chair,' etc) but i've never tried an actual perch.
(and yes, time out works).;
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
i don't bite (unlike half the animals i work with lmao)
bird chat | weird pet stuff | trades | pet site | credit
|
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
corvus corax

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eyulf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:31 pm

corvus corax wrote:
Eyulf wrote:
Monarch's Reign wrote:-snip-

-snip-

the chopstick training is a really cool idea! i know this wasn't directed at me, but i'll definitely go check that youtube out. zamir knows the name of a few "perches" ('my shoulder, 'their shoulder,' 'chair,' etc) but i've never tried an actual perch.
(and yes, time out works).;

Here is the Bird Tricks youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1BpMn4ErGPo8XB3Rzltojg They mostly work with an assortment of parrots, though their training is useful with any bird. Target training (the chopstick) and Step up are 2 things to teach a bird to make it more manageable.

Bo and Jangle know that once the sun starts to go down, so between 6pm - 6.30pm, and I come into the room and turn the light on, they know it's time to go to their cage for the night, I don't even need to say "Go to cage." anymore. They go into their cage, or sit on their swings hanging off the cage door, wait as I get fresh water for the night, check their food. Sometimes Bo will hang out in the cage, and Jangle will 'help' me put away the toys, as they can squabble, and I think Bo likes 5 or so minutes with the cage to himself occasionally.
My Birthday 7th May

Eyulf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Monarch's Reign » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:39 am

Eyulf wrote:I agree with what Corvus has said. I'll add...

I have attempted the chopstick method before, but he's just terrified of them. Not long after I realized how lacking in social skills he was I attempted that, along with sever other methods of attempting to just get near him without him lunging through the cage to eat me. We haven't found a die-hard 'GIMME' treat but we have figured out he hates broccoli. The hardest part has to be getting him from the cage and out to work with because holy moly does he turn rabid. Any ideas on that?

Edit: Keep in mind that this isn't a young bird. He's got to be several years old. He's not well socialized at all and the person we got him from didn't let him do much.
Monarch's Reign

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eyulf » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:25 pm

Monarch's Reign wrote:
Eyulf wrote:-snip-

I have attempted the chopstick method before, but he's just terrified of them. Not long after I realized how lacking in social skills he was I attempted that, along with sever other methods of attempting to just get near him without him lunging through the cage to eat me. We haven't found a die-hard 'GIMME' treat but we have figured out he hates broccoli. The hardest part has to be getting him from the cage and out to work with because holy moly does he turn rabid. Any ideas on that?

Edit: Keep in mind that this isn't a young bird. He's got to be several years old. He's not well socialized at all and the person we got him from didn't let him do much.

Well, the 'stick' for target training could be anything, pens and pencils can be used, just make sure the bird can't get to the ink or graphite of the pencil, as the bird might not be afraid of the colorful and or shiny thing you have, and show more interest.
Even if it's a semi-liked treat, as long as it's something the bird doesn't get every day.
Perhaps don't try to get the bird out. Start with opening the cage talking to the bird show him that he can trust you're not going to invade his space, slowly increase your closeness, touch within the cage, once he looks to be accepting your presence slowly get more within his space. When starting out, perhaps have the treat in a dish he accepts, that way it's not 'the hand' coming at him.

It seems his other home could have been stressful, he possibly sees hands and being out of the cage as something not enjoyable, so he gets aggressive and on the defence. So perhaps as I mentioned above, open the cage, sit talk, be gentle with movements. If he happens to climb out, don't chase him down to get him back in, just observe so he doesn't get into mischief, he'll go back to the cage when he's hungry or thirsty.

I know we like to let our birds out as a cage even an appropriate sized one feels like we're locking them up. That's his home his territory. It might be slow paced, but patience is a virtue, it might take time, but small steps are an achievement. Wait to target train, and teach step up. Start with what I've mentioned above.

Aim the above, towards him accepting your hand coming into the cage, so if he's stopped lunging offer the treat on the palm of your hand, make your hand flat have your thumb tucked to the side.
I learnt that from the Alexandrine I had, for some reason he'd nip/bite at my fingers or thumb if they were spread out, steadily I was able to offer something as small as a pipita (pumpkin seed) held between my thumb and finger and he'd take it no problem.
My Birthday 7th May

Eyulf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby seraph_wren » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:30 pm

Username: iWolffe
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): like 14? 1 weaver finch, 4 or 5 society finches, 6 button quail, 1 parrotlet, 2 budgies, and 1 green cheek conure
How long have you had them?: Depends, I've had my budgies for around 3-4 years, and my conure for 1 (their my babies <3)
What brings you to the bird chat?: I love birds, and talking about my green cheek
seraph_wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Monarch's Reign » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:52 am

Thanks an absolute ton for the advice! I'll see what I can do with him. ^-^ I'd love to let him out freely like that but uh, we're a home run by cats, and while they don't mess with him in the cage, outside would be a totally different story ._.'
Monarch's Reign

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me