Overated Animals?

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Quick Vote: Most Overated Animal?

Cats
12%
Dogs
18%
Lions
7%
Wolves
35%
Bears
2%
Dolphins
7%
Foxes
9%
Deer
2%
Other
8%

Total votes : 797

Re: Overated Animals?

Postby mediocre mackerel » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:18 pm

Jamison270 wrote:Wolves. They're pushy, ignorant, and they cross the line too many times!

I don't see how wolves themselves can be pushy and ignorant, more so correlating that to them being overrated. Just like people, animals have different personalities and you can't judge the whole species by looking at one.

Otherwise I do understand how canines, mostly wolves, are used often in ocs and fursonas but it's been like that for many many years, and it's hard to change the norm that's already been set. I wouldn't say they're overrated - they're just the norm and seem to be popular. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

platy she/her
came back for the oekaki (again)

insta gallery artfight
mediocre mackerel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wilbursoot » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:18 pm

gentle.wav wrote:
Jamison270 wrote:Wolves. They're pushy, ignorant, and they cross the line too many times!

I don't see how wolves can be pushy and ignorant, more so correlating that to them being overrated. Just like people, animals have different personalities and you can't judge the whole species by looking at one.

Otherwise I do understand how canines, mostly wolves, are used often in ocs and fursonas but it's been like that for many many years, and it's hard to change the norm that's already been set. I wouldn't say they're overrated - they're just the norm and seem to be popular. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry you might not understand without context
heyo

i dont come on here (ever)

still, you can message me ig
wilbursoot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby w h a t » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:21 pm

Stinkin' dolphins!
Dolphins!
they think they're so cute! "Oh, look at me, I'm a flippy little dolphin, let me flip for you"

i actually love all animals i don't belong here i just wanted to quote a movie
can i offer you a nice turnip in this trying time?

Amazing people who deserve love and good trades: .💜.
If you sass me about something i chose to do, be prepared for sass in return💕 If i block you, that's my business. Maybe you did something wrong?
w h a t

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jaegerthegreat » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:55 am

gotta say, pugs, bulldogs, etc really inbred dogs are quite overrated. Like, am I the only one who thinks its a little unethical to be breeding dogs that have such bad respiratory systems and can't give natural birth anymore? If you've ever seen a pug or bulldog skull they look horrific. I really wish people could pick a different breed to enjoy.
Jaegerthegreat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lexi. » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:22 am

w h a t wrote:Stinkin' dolphins!
Dolphins!
they think they're so cute! "Oh, look at me, I'm a flippy little dolphin, let me flip for you"

They are cute ...
Lexi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ramattra » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:39 am

Lexi. wrote:
Dolphins!

They are cute ...

they said they were quoting a movie and they love all animals lol
𝔰𝔲𝔣𝔣𝔢𝔯 𝔞𝔰 𝔦 𝔥𝔞𝔳𝔢 !
hiiii i'm emmie ! #1 pharah pocketer
game art major | adult | she/her | black
my dA CS art gallery commissions

i hoard these cats and will overpay for them !
ramattra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jaegerthegreat » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:32 pm

Lexi. wrote:
Dolphins!

They are cute ...

Dolphins also can have mighty violent tendencies, but supposedly we don't have much of an idea how smart they are
Terrifying to me
Jaegerthegreat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DemureGirl » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:33 am

Yeah, dolphins are mean. They often kill smaller creatures and toss around the body for fun. They don't eat it. They just kill it and play with it
DemureGirl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PixelChan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:49 am

Jaegerthegreat wrote:gotta say, pugs, bulldogs, etc really inbred dogs are quite overrated. Like, am I the only one who thinks its a little unethical to be breeding dogs that have such bad respiratory systems and can't give natural birth anymore? If you've ever seen a pug or bulldog skull they look horrific. I really wish people could pick a different breed to enjoy.

I agree with this 100%. Bulldogs and pugs shouldn't be a breed; they are deformed and often suffer from many problems with breathing.
PixelChan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby right in two. » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:30 pm

Pasteli~ wrote:
Jaegerthegreat wrote:gotta say, pugs, bulldogs, etc really inbred dogs are quite overrated. Like, am I the only one who thinks its a little unethical to be breeding dogs that have such bad respiratory systems and can't give natural birth anymore? If you've ever seen a pug or bulldog skull they look horrific. I really wish people could pick a different breed to enjoy.

I agree with this 100%. Bulldogs and pugs shouldn't be a breed; they are deformed and often suffer from many problems with breathing.

Dogs in general shouldn't be a "breed".. I mean, even wolves tend to vary quite a lot in terms of phenotype, color and attitude. There aren't any wolf or free ranging dog populations running around with matching coat colors and super specific temperaments and breed traits and tight, monitored bloodlines.

I'm really glad that it's becoming common knowledge that purebred dogs can be messed up, but it isn't only pugs, bulldogs and all of these brachycephalic breeds that are suffering. Dalmatians look normal and healthy for example, but unless they happen to be LUA dalmatians, they have to eat a special diet low in purines or else they'll end up with bladder stones. Oh, and a lot of the time they're deaf in one or both of their ears.

Dobermans are super prone to DCM.
Golden retrievers should really be called cancer retrievers because they tend to get cancer.
German shepherds are very often hip dysplastic.

It's really not as simple as "choosing another breed to enjoy" either; dogs aren't interchangable like that. You can't just decide to love and own border collies because somebody told you that pugs are deformed. You may not be much better off choosing another breed anyway. You'd just be trading respiratory problems for back problems or skin problems or something.
right in two.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me