Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby -Blufox » Sun May 27, 2018 11:06 am

I popped in here a while back about convincing my parents to get a dog. It worked, actually! We ended up fostering a Border Collie Australian Cattle Dog mix who, unfortunately, didn't get along with my cat. He is now in another home with a pug. After that we had to put the search on hold because our kitchen was getting redone (it's almost done). Yesterday I looked on Petfinder and there's a Shiba Inu that fits all of our requirements. Tomorrow we're meeting her and I'm pretty excited.

I did my research and I found out that Shibas are pretty smart and can be known for getting out of their crates. We still have the crate from when we were fostering the other dog but I'm not sure if she would get out or not.
    Help?
-Blufox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Sun May 27, 2018 3:06 pm

https://youtu.be/4zjbBtMZdPA

Octavia and I did some training at the stores today! First we went to petsmart where she did some great LLW, even some off leash walking! She did lots of lovely down/stays while I browsed as well! Even showed off some tricks when she was getting gawked at 😂

Then we went to TSC and did a few curcits of the store with nice walking again. I was walking her with one finger loosely through my leash lol. When we got in line, I put her in a down and dropped the leash, and I swear half the store stopped to gawk at her for staying there. Even more so when the line moved up and I was able to move her up with me without touching the leash 😂. She also did really well with her greetings when I allowed people to pet, dropped into a sit, and even checked back in with me during the petting sessions!

It is kinda sad to me that people are so amazed at what I consider basic life skills for my dogs though. You’d think her doing a down stay even leashed was like looking at a unicorn...
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Sun May 27, 2018 3:34 pm

.Middy. wrote:https://youtu.be/4zjbBtMZdPA

Octavia and I did some training at the stores today! First we went to petsmart where she did some great LLW, even some off leash walking! She did lots of lovely down/stays while I browsed as well! Even showed off some tricks when she was getting gawked at 😂

Then we went to TSC and did a few curcits of the store with nice walking again. I was walking her with one finger loosely through my leash lol. When we got in line, I put her in a down and dropped the leash, and I swear half the store stopped to gawk at her for staying there. Even more so when the line moved up and I was able to move her up with me without touching the leash 😂. She also did really well with her greetings when I allowed people to pet, dropped into a sit, and even checked back in with me during the petting sessions!

It is kinda sad to me that people are so amazed at what I consider basic life skills for my dogs though. You’d think her doing a down stay even leashed was like looking at a unicorn...

Same here. Seems like the common pet dog now knows sit, shake, no, and not much else. Must haves for any dog I own are recall(low to high distractions), sit, down, heel, loose leash walking, leave it, and Advanced stays.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rainbowwrowell » Sun May 27, 2018 6:52 pm

doggas wrote:
ᴍᴀᴏᴄɪғᴇʀ wrote:
Also, something else, does anyone use any super long or bungee leads when walking your dog around in fields or stuff? I'd like to get Winnie something really long so that he's free to run about and chase after the ball and go say hello to other dogs, but with a lot of smaller dogs coming up to him in the valley recently trying act all "macho", I like to keep him controlled to be able to get him off of them when he does retaliate. I have found some of those cheap but I wondered if any of you knew any that were comfortable and durable?

We make our own long leads for Blue. We have a 100ft long lead made of old climbing rope, but I wouldn’t recommend that as a material since it’s so heavy. We like using it in remote fields to play fetch with her, so we can do long throws and she can get some good exercise. We also have a 20ft nylon rope lead that we use for hiking. I’d recommend that much more, it’s durable and strong but also very light. But that’s only if you want to make your own long lead, I don’t have any experience with store-bought ones.

Delphine has a very very long leather leash. It's actually a horse lead. But it needs work in maintaining it; you cant wash it in water, so you need to use baby wipes to stop it from cracking, if you get one, be careful of it in the rain.

I used this for training and it's not like 10ft or anything. And the dog mightnt have enough room to chase a ball. But maybe look into some horse things, because the animal is bigger, you may have some luck in finding something longer and bigger
he/they/it
rainbowwrowell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ᴍᴀᴏᴄɪғᴇʀ » Sun May 27, 2018 11:57 pm

@Webmonkey
    Thank you, I just looked into horse leads and they do seem more durable, thought maybe not as light. I'd definitely go more towards a nylon rope lead than a leather one because I find them easier to tie up and keep ahold of, and I'm finding more long rope ones than leather since I'm either going to go for a 30ft or 50ft one —need to find something to compare those length to first— but thank you again for the advice c:
ᴍᴀᴏᴄɪғᴇʀ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rainbowwrowell » Mon May 28, 2018 12:01 am

ᴍᴀᴏᴄɪғᴇʀ wrote:
    @Webmonkey
    Thank you, I just looked into horse leads and they do seem more durable, thought maybe not as light. I'd definitely go more towards a nylon rope lead than a leather one because I find them easier to tie up and keep ahold of, and I'm finding more long rope ones than leather since I'm either going to go for a 30ft or 50ft one —need to find something to compare those length to first— but thank you again for the advice c:

No problem! I was speaking to my dog coach today and this is what he said.

"Teaching a dog a secure recall and fetch might be best, but they would need a long rope to work with first, I recommend working up lenghts first. Start with a twenty, then work to a thirthy, then just jump to fifty if you need to, as if you give them too much first, it may be overwhelming for both you and the dog. You want the dog to understand they can't pull, and for you to be able find the way you find best. "

:)
he/they/it
rainbowwrowell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby NotAFurryOwO » Mon May 28, 2018 12:24 am

Hey everyone! I have a small question to ask. ^^
So I have a dog named Asia and she's a 1 year old german shorthaired pointer. We're gonna be moving out soon and when we do we're also gonna be getting a kitten. My dog is a very good hunting dog (she even went hunting with my dad a couple of times and was very good and learned quickly) and im really worried she'll see the kitten as prey.
I really want them to get along well :c She's my first ever dog and im not sure how to teach her that the kitten isnt food

★。*。☆。 Bisexual Female Emo Furry Artist Weeb ★。*。☆。

!ON A SEMI-HIATUS!
Hi there! Feel free to pm me :3 Im online most of the time so I try to reply unless Im busy. Also please check out my wishlist! Besides CS I also play FR. I have the same username there!
NotAFurryOwO

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Mon May 28, 2018 2:55 am

NotAFurryOwO wrote:Hey everyone! I have a small question to ask. ^^
So I have a dog named Asia and she's a 1 year old german shorthaired pointer. We're gonna be moving out soon and when we do we're also gonna be getting a kitten. My dog is a very good hunting dog (she even went hunting with my dad a couple of times and was very good and learned quickly) and im really worried she'll see the kitten as prey.
I really want them to get along well :c She's my first ever dog and im not sure how to teach her that the kitten isnt food

Honestly, it depends on the dog. One of my dogs have been playing with the flirt pole his whole life, and even has one of those lifelike cat toys(sister threw it out and it looks very real too, mistaken everyday for my small white dog) that he drags around on a daily basis. Just got a kitten and introduced them, no issues at all. Let’s the kitten jump all over him and even rolls over on his back when it comes up to him and does that nursing stuff to him, it’s pretty funny. Kitten once hopped into his food bowl, curled up and went to sleep...while he was eating lol, no problems except the kitten wasn’t happy when he nudged him to get to the food he was sitting on. I trust him alone with the kitten. This same dog hunts rabbits, moles and such, but realizes that the kitten is not prey. Even when it’s running around, he doesn’t even chase it.

So I say it depends on the dog really. See what happens when the dog and cat are separated by glass. If the dog seems like it really wants to get to the cat and does stuff like barking, whining, pawing or biting at the glass, I personally would keep them apart. A happy, curious reaction is what you’re looking for. Also if the dog likes the cat, but the cat doesn’t like her and is stress out by the dog, they should still be separated.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby juicebox! » Mon May 28, 2018 4:11 am

NotAFurryOwO wrote:Hey everyone! I have a small question to ask. ^^

the dog will eventually learn that the kitten is not prey. does she generally try to chase cats on walks? my dogs all love to chase cats but they also just do it to play. you can also put the kitten or dog in a kennel and have them get used to eachother that way. keep your dog leashed while around the kitten until she gets more relaxed. you may have to limit their time together until the cat is bigger. your dog will probably just want to play with it but could still hurt the cat. teach your dog down-stay, focus and leave it! that way you can ask your dog to leave the kitten alone, etc.
juicebox!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Meoauniaea » Mon May 28, 2018 7:06 am

I have a behavior question I need some help with, that's causing ah.... issues.
My dog just turned ten, and in the last six months, she's developed a rather... gross gourmet taste in... well, I'd call it food, but it isn't. :lol: Any tips on helping reinforce to an older, and blind, dog that the litter box isn't an all-you-can-eat buffet? She's respected the rule about leaving it alone for most of her life, but recently, she seems to have forgotten that rule exists, and I can't use anything in the box or around it that will upset my cat, who is already fickle enough and has bladder issues. I'm open to anything right now. Oh, and the squirt bottle doesn't work, as she doesn't get it. I can't block off that area without it being massively inconvenient to the household.

I'm also looking for a new working dog! I find out in two weeks if I am accepted to my Natural Resources Management course, and if so, I'll be permitted to have a working breed with me in advanced training (about 12 months from now). They don't recommend a specific breed, but DO recommend it be able to clear 18" obstacles (.5m) so it can clear fallen trees on the trail with minimal assistance.
  • Have you had dogs before? What breeds? I currently have a Border Collie x Chow, but in the past I've had Labs, Beagles, a JRT cross, and have worked with Akitas. My current dog is very social, so I don't foresee a new dog being an issue.
  • Are there any breeds that have already caught your eye? If so, why? I've been looking at setters, pointers, retrievers, and shepherds. I really like their working ethic, and they seem able to meet the requirement on jumping. I'm a huge fan of the Belgian breeds, but cannot stand labs. (Other retriever-types okay!) **I'm open to any other breeds outside my preferred groups if they fit my other requirements.**
  • How much time a day do you have to devote to training your dog? The dog would be with me 24/7. I would not be able to train it during class beyond basic reinforcement (7.5 hours a day) but would be able to work with it at all other times.
  • What kind of grooming needs are you prepared to handle? Medium to high. My chow mix is medium maintenance and it hasn't caused issues over the years time-wise, even with a larger classload.
  • What kind of temperature range will the dog be working in? A breed who can handle both high heat and a little cold is crucial. Local temps range from 25f (-4C) to 90f (32c), depending on year. I'm prepared to pay grooming and clipping costs if necessary, or can equip a short-hair with a sweater. If I'm wearing a sweater, a short-haired dog needs one.
  • What kind of energy level are you looking for? Medium to high. The bigger emphasis is on Stamina: I need a dog that can go for about 3.5 hours, take an hour break, and go for another three hours. We could be on our feet/paws the entire time, but we could also be on "Cabin Duty", watching the lodge, so the ability to relax (or engage in something mentally challenging during a "slow day") would be necessary. I expect to be rotated into cabin duty twice a month for a day each time. Weekends, the dog would be able to relax, when not doing obedience work.
  • What do you plan on doing with your dog? A lot of trail monitoring and clearing, as well as safety checks and other park ranger or resources management duties. Outside of class, we would be working on obedience/agility. On days involving felling trees, I'll have advance warning and the dog will not be present. Some tugging ability might be useful. A bit of a guard instinct would be nice, as I will otherwise be working alone during that part of training.
  • What size dog are you wanting? Medium to Large, but NOT giant. A giant breed would not be feasible to keep on-center. I like the 50-80 pound range: big enough to be a legitimate help, but small enough for me to carry if they get injured on the job.
  • What age dog are you looking for? 8mo-3yrs, starting out, since I plan to be working with the dog for between five and eight years. I'd be willing to take on a slightly older (up to 6yrs) dog who was in great health and shape.
  • What kind of livestyle do you live? (Active, couch potato etc) ACTIVE. I'm on my feet 8-10 hours a day. The rest of my waking hours are spent working online on homework and other items. I love to be outside.
  • Anything else important to know? Cat friendliness isn't considered a priority, but they need to be okay working with other dogs, and cohabiting with other dogs. If I get paired up with someone else for a day, having a dog that is already predisposed to not getting along isn't going to work out. Of course, I'll be enforcing non-reactivity from the start! Oh, and training ability, while depending on dog and handler, needs to be naturally high? If that makes sense? I can work with medium, but a non-responsive or slow-learning breed really won't work, as before class starts I will need to have great-to-perfect recall.

I know this is a lot to ask, and I've been thinking about it for a while! I'm open to any other breeds outside my preferred groups if they fit my requirements.

You can call me Hadley, that's fine too.
How to say my username (and the meaning)
Toyhou.se || Flight Rising || Pixpet || Final Outpost || PFQ
Discord: redfailhawk

Lilypad won her AKC CGC title on 10/18/23!
Lilypad won her CGCA title on 11/8/23!

NaNoWriMo Winner:
2018-2019-2020-2021-2022-2023
Meoauniaea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me