Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby Marley.&.Me » Sun May 27, 2018 3:31 am

oops forgot to share this one

Marley.&.Me

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Sun May 27, 2018 3:44 am

@Tipsy
I had a puggle who was always with me, her name was sugar. She was an attention hog no doubt. I don't think I have any photos of her when she was an adult but I can try to upload a puppy picture of her. She was my first dog and I got her when I was little.
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Beita13 » Sun May 27, 2018 5:33 am

I have three dogs and two birds,
I am a volunteer of a animal shelter from Spain who helps dogs to be adopted either in Spain or other countries.
Two of my three dogs are from animal sheltee and are the best I have.
The size for The photos is too big í don't can share anyone
Beita13

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Creg » Sun May 27, 2018 5:37 am

Probably won’t be getting a dog for a while, but thought I’d try this out.

What breed for me?
Have you had dogs before? What breeds?
No. I have had experience of looking after a few dogs when their owners went on holiday.

Are there any breeds that have already caught your eye? If so, why?
Not really. I’m not a big fan of tiny, delicate looking terriers or chihuahuas.

How much time a day do you have to devote to training your dog?
3-5 hours.

What kind of grooming needs are you prepared to handle?
I’d prefer short to medium haired breeds.

What kind of energy level are you looking for?
Medium. Would prefer a dog that has an off switch. Not looking for something with a high prey drive.

What do you plan on doing with your dog?
I’d like to try agility or flyball.

What size dog are you wanting?
Medium to large-ish

What age dog are you looking for?
Adult. Puppies are cute, but honestly I’d prefer a dog that has had basic training.

What kind of livestyle do you live? (Active, couch potato etc)
Fairly active. I’m usually walking quite a lot in the morning, then chilling and pottering about in the afternoon.
Rans. Tired all the time. Libra (16th Oct). Owner of two guinea pigs.
Creg

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ᴍᴀᴏᴄɪғᴇʀ » Sun May 27, 2018 6:08 am

doggas wrote:
ᴍᴀᴏᴄɪғᴇʀ wrote:
Also, something else, does anyone use any super long or bungee leads when walking your dog around in fields or stuff? I'd like to get Winnie something really long so that he's free to run about and chase after the ball and go say hello to other dogs, but with a lot of smaller dogs coming up to him in the valley recently trying act all "macho", I like to keep him controlled to be able to get him off of them when he does retaliate. I have found some of those cheap but I wondered if any of you knew any that were comfortable and durable?

We make our own long leads for Blue. We have a 100ft long lead made of old climbing rope, but I wouldn’t recommend that as a material since it’s so heavy. We like using it in remote fields to play fetch with her, so we can do long throws and she can get some good exercise. We also have a 20ft nylon rope lead that we use for hiking. I’d recommend that much more, it’s durable and strong but also very light. But that’s only if you want to make your own long lead, I don’t have any experience with store-bought ones.

I don't have the knack for making my own stuff so I am looking for one I can get at a shop, but thank you nonetheless c: 100ft seems very long but I'm terrible at maths so I can't even picture it, aha.
There is one I had my eye on, a nice width and 50ft, so I'll probably get that. Thank you again, just gotta look around for a suitable harness now — I opted not to use his since it's been very humid today and he was already hot, so I just clipped onto his collar and he was definitely not a fan after being used to his harness for so long. Summer is rolling in and the hunt is on.
ᴍᴀᴏᴄɪғᴇʀ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Taiger Lilly » Sun May 27, 2018 7:55 am

doggas wrote:
    I plan to get a good, high quality harness for Blue. The one we use right now suffices, but I don’t imagine that it’s very comfortable and it’s rather low quality. Not to mention that it isn’t the most attractive thing lol.

I’m looking at two harnesses right now. The IDC Power Harness from Julius-K9 and the Urban Trail Harness from Alpine Outfitters.

The Urban Trail Harness is less costly than the Power Harness, but that isn’t a big concern if one harness is significantly better than the other... unfortunately, I don’t know much about harnesses so I was hoping some more harness-savvy people here could help me.

Does anyone have any experience with one or both of these harnesses? Would you recommend them? For those of you that don’t, what harness sounds better based off of their descriptions? Are there any other harnesses I should be looking at?

Thank you so much in advance!

While I really like the look of the julius k9 harness, they look like they go right across the shoulder joint on many dogs, which makes me a little uneasy. They are pretty popular and I'm not a dog anatomy expert, but here's an example.

So personally, I would go for something that avoids amy restriction on the shoulders.
Taiger Lilly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HowlToTheWind » Sun May 27, 2018 8:02 am

I know it's going to be a while before we can move and have the space for a dog, but....

No, but I'm close friends with a Weimeraner/Lab mix and a Chihuahua/Miniature Pinscher mix
Australian Shepherds and German Shepherds. I don't know why they've caught my eye, but they have. They're just so beautiful!
Most days I don't do much, so I typically have pretty much all day unless I'm going somewhere
I'd prefer something with short-medium hair
Something with some energy but not too much
Nothing too fancy, I'd just like a companion
Something medium-large
Something more on the older side
What kind of livestyle do you live? (Active, couch potato etc),
Fairly active, I go on walks with my siblings nearly every day and those walks last about an hour
Cain ∙ all prns ∙ isfp ∙ capricorn
━━━━━━━━━━━━━
thstableart shopcredit
━━━━━━━━━━━━━
"stop thinking so much"
HowlToTheWind

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Sun May 27, 2018 8:43 am

HowlToTheWind wrote:I know it's going to be a while before we can move and have the space for a dog, but....

No, but I'm close friends with a Weimeraner/Lab mix and a Chihuahua/Miniature Pinscher mix
Australian Shepherds and German Shepherds. I don't know why they've caught my eye, but they have. They're just so beautiful!
Most days I don't do much, so I typically have pretty much all day unless I'm going somewhere
I'd prefer something with short-medium hair
Something with some energy but not too much
Nothing too fancy, I'd just like a companion
Something medium-large
Something more on the older side
What kind of livestyle do you live? (Active, couch potato etc),
Fairly active, I go on walks with my siblings nearly every day and those walks last about an hour

Both Aussies and GSD's are high energy breeds and can be pricey ( I recommend breeders for both these ).

If your only after a companion go to a rescue they can pick out the perfect dog for your style and there are many older dogs.
CharsArt WantedTradescredit
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something
Sarcastic and witty with this but
We cant be bothered. We go by
Angelus One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh lover

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby liv :) » Sun May 27, 2018 8:47 am

Taiger Lilly wrote:
doggas wrote:
    I plan to get a good, high quality harness for Blue. The one we use right now suffices, but I don’t imagine that it’s very comfortable and it’s rather low quality. Not to mention that it isn’t the most attractive thing lol.

I’m looking at two harnesses right now. The IDC Power Harness from Julius-K9 and the Urban Trail Harness from Alpine Outfitters.

The Urban Trail Harness is less costly than the Power Harness, but that isn’t a big concern if one harness is significantly better than the other... unfortunately, I don’t know much about harnesses so I was hoping some more harness-savvy people here could help me.

Does anyone have any experience with one or both of these harnesses? Would you recommend them? For those of you that don’t, what harness sounds better based off of their descriptions? Are there any other harnesses I should be looking at?

Thank you so much in advance!

While I really like the look of the julius k9 harness, they look like they go right across the shoulder joint on many dogs, which makes me a little uneasy. They are pretty popular and I'm not a dog anatomy expert, but here's an example.

So personally, I would go for something that avoids amy restriction on the shoulders.

Thank you! I hadn’t noticed that before. I looked at some images of it and found that about half of the dogs, as you said, had the harness going over their shoulder joint. Probably based on either the individual dog’s confirmation or the size of the harness? I don’t know. I’ll have to talk to more people that have experience with the harness.
vet assistant
bio-med major
pisces sun, aquarius moon, cancer rising
intj-t
liv :)

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Taiger Lilly » Sun May 27, 2018 8:59 am

I think going for a smaller size (if between two sizes) might help move the chest strap up more, just from looking at the pictures online. But yeah, definitly something to look into, especially if you can't try it out before buying.

---------------
Olive loved camping! No accidents or injuries, plus she got some offleash time and did great.

Taiger Lilly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me