The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread! V2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What type of rodents do you have?

Rats
27%
Hamsters
17%
Gerbils
5%
Mice
11%
Guinea Pigs
15%
Chinchillas
2%
Degus
1%
None :(
15%
None, but getting some soon!
7%

Total votes : 338

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread! V2

Postby fluffycat6 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:01 am

Unfortunately when I tried to introduce them again after getting them used to each others scents she ended up drawing blood so I decided it would be best for everyone if I returned the baby 😔. Thank you all very much for the advice! I really appreciate it.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image please click!
fluffycat6

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby amsie » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:51 am

introducing a mouse to a mischief is challenging - that's why it's best to do it over time,
      rather than just dropping the mouse in and hoping for the best. it doesn't really work
      like that for an established mischief and new, unfamiliar mouse.
      regardless, i'm sorry you had to return the mouse but it is likely for the best.
amsie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lemon Tea Rain » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:12 am

fluffycat6 wrote:Unfortunately when I tried to introduce them again after getting them used to each others scents she ended up drawing blood so I decided it would be best for everyone if I returned the baby 😔. Thank you all very much for the advice! I really appreciate it.

Oh goodness I'm really sorry! But you did the right thing. I know some people who would just keep the baby in there until it was in a lot of pain, but I know it must have been really hard to give a darling baby mouse back to a store. Well done <3
Image⦅Lemon⦆Image
◤~ ImageLemon • any • <3! ~ ◥
Image Image Image
◣ ~ ImageFeel free to pm :D~ ◢
Lemon Tea Rain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LucienLachance » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:30 am

Username: LucienLachance
      Favorite type of rodent: rats!!! but i also love guinea pigs!
      Tell us about your pets: i have 2 female rats (although sometimes i'm dumb and forget they're female, so sometimes i alternate between pronouns) named funny and sloshy! funny is white with red eyes and sloshy is black and white with black eyes. they're both still growing, although i don't know their exact age. funny is cuddly and likes to groom my hair, while sloshy is more mischievous, and will try to get out of the cage while i have one of the doors open. sloshy doesn't like being held as much as funny, but will perk up when i offer a treat.
      Other: i'm joseph and i'm excited to talk to y'all!
i love rats

LF rats i don't have yet, the ones on my wishlist!
LucienLachance

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lemon Tea Rain » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:51 am

I'm really curious about something! So basically, this morning I nearly had a heart attack because I looked over to my gerbils cage and it was open. I went to sleep last and there's no one in my house who would have opened it, so do you think it's broken or is my gerbil learning how to escape? She wasn't trying to get out when I closed it this morning, she was asleep in her bedding and perked up to watch me close it then went back to sleep. Could she have opened it?
Image⦅Lemon⦆Image
Image Image Image
Lemon Tea Rain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby amsie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:23 am

despite not being quite as smart as other rodents, i wouldn't put it past a
      gerbil to learn a simple mechanic. but, if your cage is well built and designed
      to let a gerbil live to its fullest potential (size wise, reputable company, etc.)
      then someone must of left it open. for the night, i'd keep a close eye on the
      gerbil, double check the locks and perhaps find another way to lock it (try
      baby-safe lock methods).
amsie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lemon Tea Rain » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:34 am

amsie wrote:
      despite not being quite as smart as other rodents, i wouldn't put it past a
      gerbil to learn a simple mechanic. but, if your cage is well built and designed
      to let a gerbil live to its fullest potential (size wise, reputable company, etc.)
      then someone must of left it open. for the night, i'd keep a close eye on the
      gerbil, double check the locks and perhaps find another way to lock it (try
      baby-safe lock methods).

Okay, thank you!
Image⦅Lemon⦆Image
Image Image Image
Lemon Tea Rain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:49 pm

I did a temperament test on my newest litter and I was so pleased! I didn't handle them until 5 weeks and then put them in with my other rats (bucks/does) and not one scuffle yet! So proud of how my lines are coming along. This is only my 4th generation but there's already improvement in skittish behaviour and affection. I have an ig for the litter I adopted. The doe got URI and passed not long ago, but everyone else is healthy <3. those_ratty_boys to follow how their all doing now!

!!Rodent Check In!! How are all of your fur kids doing??
Anything from good to bad, I'd love to get caught up with how everyones pets are doing, I know I've been MIA :<
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mierose » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:24 pm

^^ My boy is just fine and dandy. He'll be 2 in November which feels crazy to me. I don't know if I ever gave a cage update but he's in a detolf now and loving life. After the recent earthquake scare, we're organizing a pet emergency evacuation kit. I got teased by my family a bit, but Roo was of course included. A smaller sized tub for temporary on-the-go housing, a small bag of bedding, a small bag of food, a mini water bottle, and some chews + a very basic hide. Nothing fancy, but it's called an emergency kit for a reason. I'm glad your ratty kids are doing well, just checked out your ig and they're lovely! Hope everyone is well <33
Last edited by mierose on Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE. SECRET. OF. LIFE. IS. TO. KEEP. LOOKING. UP

MickiJayGonny
KiffKnightDimi

Call me mier or rose | She/her | Lesbian | Sagittarius

Buttermilks

. .. .
mierose

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lemon Tea Rain » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:56 pm

My gerbil is doing well, though I'm kinda tired of giving her so much attention all the time, it has to be done! We can't really get her a new friend at this age. I found out what happened with the cage, by the way! It wasn't locked properly: the cage door was closed but not pushed in so she could open it by herself. Still baffles me she had all night to escape and yet she just went back to sleep haha.
Image⦅Lemon⦆Image
Image Image Image
Lemon Tea Rain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me