Calling All Rat Lovers/Owners!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

How Much Do You Love Rats?

I LOVE THEM TO ALL THE GALAXIES AND BACK!
50%
I ADORE THEM!
14%
I love them.
6%
I think they are cute. (Never owned one so I don't know the greatness of them)
30%

Total votes : 545

Re: Calling All Rat Lovers/Owners!

Postby winged-backpack » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:56 am

Rattielover0709 wrote:I have a question, How often do ya'all clean the cage, I pick upp all their poop and shake their fleece and shake it out once a week, And i deep clean once a month. Am i cleaning to much or to little?

I have two boys, and I find that just spot checking every other day is often enough, with a monthly deep clean of the surfaces etc. Once a week may be leaving it slightly too long, as build up of ammonia from their urine can be bad for their health. If they seem healthy enough from just a weekly clean, then I wouldn't worry but have a think about trying to do it more often because you don't want to be making them unhealthy.
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:55 pm

They seem fine, They have gotten over peeing all over the place, they are about a year and a half old. And they honestly don't do much besides sleep, I do clean their fleece in their houses off daily because that's where they pee the most.
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:00 pm

Okay my rats cage is a double critter nation, My bedding is fleece and they are liter trained. They are 1 and a half almost and they normally don't walk around and pee everywhere, And I do spot clean everday, And Always wash the fleece in their favorite hiding places because most of the time they are to lazy to move and poop and pee where they are suppost to poop and pee. And I have another question Does anybody know a better food than oxbo?? That's what I have been feeding my boys with some veggies But I would like to give them something better because they are old and I would like to keep them alive XD.
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Paranoia » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:04 pm

Rattielover0709 wrote:Okay my rats cage is a double critter nation, My bedding is fleece and they are liter trained. They are 1 and a half almost and they normally don't walk around and pee everywhere, And I do spot clean everday, And Always wash the fleece in their favorite hiding places because most of the time they are to lazy to move and poop and pee where they are suppost to poop and pee. And I have another question Does anybody know a better food than oxbo?? That's what I have been feeding my boys with some veggies But I would like to give them something better because they are old and I would like to keep them alive XD.

I've heard oxbow is actually one of the best brands of rat food to be feeding rats unless you are going to make their food homemade. You typically want to stay away from mixtures as rats can pick out the bits they like and leave the rest and avoid foods too high in protein.
Last edited by Paranoia on Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art by icseal & noch
DA | TH | Adopts storage

Paranoia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby piikachu » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:06 pm

my friend and i have ratties from the same mum rat. whiskers and nudge! hi everyone!
i go on hiatus a lot.

roleplays im most active in
here
piikachu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:20 pm

nudge. wrote:my friend and i have ratties from the same mum rat. whiskers and nudge! hi everyone!

Aw, that is so cute! What are their names? :)
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Iskers » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:59 am

I have three dumbo rats; Tesla a chocolate hooded rat, Koraline a chocolate roan rat, and Mango a black blazed rat.
Pet's name: Triston
Iskers

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby P0procks » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:53 am

I used to have 2 rats... Fuzzy and Fuzzy , fizzy bit me and my dad freaked out and gave them both away..
Im currently saving up to get another pair of rats (both females) wish me luck X3
im always looking to buy ocs with red and other dark colors; bandages and horns are my weakness ^^
[rightImage[/right]
P0procks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gemsandbones » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:32 pm

xjayfeatherxx wrote:I used to have 2 rats... Fuzzy and Fuzzy , fizzy bit me and my dad freaked out and gave them both away..
Im currently saving up to get another pair of rats (both females) wish me luck X3

aw, that's too bad! sometimes rats nip or bite while they're still getting used to you. keeping the bite clean is really all you need to do. did you handle them too early or in a way they may not have liked, or was fizzy just aggressive? some rats can be aggressive, which is sad, but almost all domesticated rats are incredibly sweet and non-aggressive when raised and cared for properly. i hope your dad lets you keep your next ones! i hope you can give them lots of love and care.
he/him/his (cis male) • gay • polyamorous
pagan • over-enthusiastic Dungeon Master (5e) • artist, cosplayer, author
rat, bat, deer enthusiast/collector • goth & halloween nerd
gemsandbones

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby P0procks » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:48 pm

gemsandbones wrote:
xjayfeatherxx wrote:I used to have 2 rats... Fuzzy and Fuzzy , fizzy bit me and my dad freaked out and gave them both away..

aw, that's too bad! sometimes rats nip or bite while they're still getting used to you. keeping the bite clean is really all you need to do. did you handle them too early or in a way they may not have liked, or was fizzy just aggressive? some rats can be aggressive, which is sad, but almost all domesticated rats are incredibly sweet and non-aggressive when raised and cared for properly. i hope your dad lets you keep your next ones! i hope you can give them lots of love and care.

Fizzy was just naturally agressive i was cleaning out the bedding when he bit me
im always looking to buy ocs with red and other dark colors; bandages and horns are my weakness ^^
[rightImage[/right]
P0procks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me