The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread! V2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What type of rodents do you have?

Rats
27%
Hamsters
17%
Gerbils
5%
Mice
11%
Guinea Pigs
15%
Chinchillas
2%
Degus
1%
None :(
15%
None, but getting some soon!
7%

Total votes : 339

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread! V2

Postby spiderfish » Sat May 11, 2019 7:36 am

So, I've acquired a Habitrail Ovo, and don't know what to do with it. Can't sell it, so some poor creature isn't subjected to living in it, and even if I wanted to, probably couldnt because the clips on the main compartment are broke/missing, so it's pretty useless as a cage anyway (I've found replacements on ebay, but holding off buying them till I know if I cant do anything with the cage). All the tunnels & stuff are in good condition though. And can't attach it to any of my existing bin cages, without great effort that I'm not willing to put in. Seems like a waste to just throw it out. For reference, it's this one with two sets of the tubes/mini pod things.
Also, anyone have any idea what the hell that globe thing (at the top, next to the mini pod) is? Can't figure it out for the life of me.

Anyone have any idea what I can do with it?
-wip-
-wip-
-wip-
spiderfish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby amsie » Sun May 12, 2019 11:48 pm

i do agree that you can't sell it. maybe, if you decide to fix it, you can use it as a temp. cage as your cleaning your hamsters cage? i mean, i'm presuming you have a hamster. you could possibly keep it for parts if one day you'd want to expand on the bin cage?
amsie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spiderfish » Mon May 13, 2019 6:15 am

amsie wrote:
      i do agree that you can't sell it. maybe, if you decide to fix it, you can use it as a temp. cage as your cleaning your hamsters cage? i mean, i'm presuming you have a hamster. you could possibly keep it for parts if one day you'd want to expand on the bin cage?

There's a chunk of the lid missing next to where one of the clips is supposed to be, so although I can replace the clips, that part won't be fixable. Plus, like I said, I don't want some other poor creature to end up living in it. Even if I sell it stating that it's not suitable as a main cage, doesn't mean to say the person who buys it won't use it as a main cage :/
I already have things to use for when they're being cleaned out. plus I'm not sure I'd trust them in it. The dwarves might be okay, but Lola would definitely find her way out of it.
I wouldn't be able to add it onto my bins even if I wanted to- there's be literally nowhere to put it, and I physically couldn't handle the wrist strain that would come with burning holes large enough. Even using my good hand.

If it helps for ideas I have dwarf hamsters (robo & russians), a syrian, mice, and soon will have gerbils.
-wip-
-wip-
-wip-
spiderfish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby amsie » Mon May 13, 2019 10:49 am

i didn't mean sell it. i wouldn't advise you to sell it to anyone. honestly, the best idea is to just throw it out because all other options would lead to an animal staying in it.
amsie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Thu May 16, 2019 5:04 am

I haven't been active, like at all, and so much has happened. All of the babes have homes, and I decided I couldn't part with all of them so I have three females. An Agouti mismarked standard dumbo, a rex fawn dumbo, and a Himalayan dumbo rex. Big Mama went to a home with one of her kits, the Beige dumbo rex, and it makes me happy that they got to stay together. This was about 2 weeks ago so I'm a little behind on the updates ; ;

More recently: yesterday I got a beige velveteen dumbo odd-eye and his name is Marvel 😍
It's not a flattering picture but I was in a rush so I'll get better ones of him once he's settled in.
He's the first rat I've bought from a reputable breeder and can't wait to get to know him better.

drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Fri May 17, 2019 2:46 am

Hello again, its been awhile..

I've had 8 rats total in my life, and its been about a year ? Since my last rat passed away. And I've really really missed my little babies. I've never had any females before, so I did want to ask, from experience, are females less smelly than males? Cause my boys smelled really bad, even with regular cleaning of their cage AND they where litter trained, and thats the main reason why my mom isn't in agreement with me getting some more rats.

I'll have to wait awhile before getting a pair, since I threw away all my rat toys and stuff cause they where very used, So I've got time to think. But I already have a double critter nation!

I just miss my bb's. Having them out while I do homework, and training them, and snuggles. agh. I can'tt.
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spearow » Fri May 17, 2019 2:55 am

Keighan. wrote:Hello again, its been awhile..

I've had 8 rats total in my life, and its been about a year ? Since my last rat passed away. And I've really really missed my little babies. I've never had any females before, so I did want to ask, from experience, are females less smelly than males? Cause my boys smelled really bad, even with regular cleaning of their cage AND they where litter trained, and thats the main reason why my mom isn't in agreement with me getting some more rats.

I'll have to wait awhile before getting a pair, since I threw away all my rat toys and stuff cause they where very used, So I've got time to think. But I already have a double critter nation!

I just miss my bb's. Having them out while I do homework, and training them, and snuggles. agh. I can'tt.

With my mice, the boys definitely have a stronger smell and thats from their urine. I imagine rats are same but I have not had any rats yet. My Sayu is a stinky stinky boi
I know how hard it is to lose these little guys but they are so worth the heartache 🧑
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
xx
xxxImage
xx
xxx
β₯ Trade me?
xxstatus: tired
x x
xxtradesβ—‹β™«β—‹isoβ—‹listoβ—‹Auction
xx➡ Looking for wishlist!
Spearow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Fri May 17, 2019 3:00 am

I still cry when thinking about my first pair, who passed away more than 4 years ago now,, They're so worth it.

I already have a great breeder picked out, I was going to get some from them before, But it wasn't the right time. They have a lot of hairless, and double rex babies avaliable right now. AghH! I just want one now!!!

Question, What food do you feed your. rats?
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Fri May 17, 2019 3:53 am

Keighan. wrote: -snip-

Question, What food do you feed your. rats?

I feed Doggy Bag and a general hog feed (mixed together) from Tractor Supply Co. I'm not sure if you're in the U.S, but I know that Mazuri is also available in most places.

And to answer your previous question, my males stink up the cage quicker than my females, they also get baths occasionaly and it's still pretty bad. I'd say if you clean out the cage once a week for females (I have three to a tub) there's little to no smell.
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Fri May 17, 2019 5:26 am

We have a tractor supply right down the street! I fed mazuri for ages without any problems, but I cant find anything but the 3 pound bag on amazon! I had a 20 pound bag last a entire year for 5 rats and i would love to do the same if I got any newbies.

Think Im just going to go with Oxbow, Its the best food I can find in a good price range.

I'm glad to hear they don't smell as bad. To try and reduce the smell, I'm not doing fleece this time around. I heard of people just using duck tape around the critter nations to keep the bedding in? Sounds like something worth a shot to me!
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me