Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby eff » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:47 am

humblebumble wrote:Hello to everyone, I have a question, I'm getting a dog soon and I wanted to know should I allow him to sleep on my bed, in my room, or give him his own space? Any input is very appreciated. :)

If you haven't gotten a dog yet, consider this:

• The size of your dog (62% of small dogs, 41% of medium-sized dogs and 32% of large dogs sleep with their owners)
    • If you are susceptible to allergies
    • If you have asthma
    • If you (//in future)have a partner

It is said if you are not susceptible to allergies and regularly clean your bedding (as if there were two people in the bed. Dogs go outside without shoes or clothing so easily carry dirt) then there is no real issue with it. Of course, there is your side and the dogs side.

• The dog is pushy
    • The dog is aggressive
    • The dog is too active to sleep all night
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BananaBean » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:07 am

hey guys! i was just playing around with willow, and noticed she will not sit on command. it takes a while even with treats. whenever i say "sit" she gets all excited and wiggles her entire body 😂
BananaBean

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MELLO_ » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:11 am

Lol, whenever I say my dog’s name he either comes rushing towards me with his toy or randomly sits facing me, staring into my soul with his doggy eyes. :)
You know what’ll happen if you touch my chocolate.Image
MELLO_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:54 am

Someone called about Marvel because we've posted his picture on social media to see if he has a home and I know it was the right thing to do but I've gotten so attached to him already??? They're not sure but they had a 5-month-old sheepadoodle puppy that went missing and ugh I don't want the ball of fluff to go.

Harlow- I'm almost finished with my researching haha ^^
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:44 am

Aaa thanks! I've never seen a sheepadoodle sounds cute.
Oh, Looked one up and while I was at it I also looked up a leopard dog poodle mix and they are gorgeous 😂
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Temper » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:57 am

Luzien wrote:this looks nice :D do you do other sports too :?:
what breed of sighthound is this when i may ask, im a bit unsure because of the fur and color^^

interesting that you can wear black with this dark colored dog, :lol: the first time showing with my girl, a judge did take me to the side and silently told me to try going with more light colored pants, dresses or skirts to present my girl bether as i too did wear black^^

Hes a Silken Windhound!
And yes, we are only competitive in agility and conformation but we dabble in obedience, rally, and lure coursing.

You’re right, It is better to wear lighter colors with dark dogs, but I was also showing two white borzoi on the same day. I will usually wear a white top with a black skirt for him.

What breed do you have?

.......... Image Krasivi Collies
...........Image Krasivi Trotters
...........Image Krasivi Euphorians
...........Image Krasivi Wolfhounds
...........Image Lone Bashkir Curlies
...........Image Andaluz Sport Horses

....................Image
Temper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:17 am

Putting some muscle on :D
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kishu. » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:55 am

kodiak ♡ wrote:@tosa
I know right??? When I got my first pet I thought I was so ready but it ended up being so overwhelming and I wished I had waited xD

And hhh?? a pupper? Akita puppies are my alltime favorite! Their fluff and just the way they bounce and prance around is too much. I really hope the socializing goes well, and people like you are role models of sorts. I know when I was younger I was told to wait but I wouldn't listen, haha. Just reminding the youngin's to do their homework and really make sure theyre prepared is how we save pets from unfair situations. I volunteer at my library on thursdays and MY LORD those little girls and their pony non-fiction books. I'm still the exact same way, though, and I just educate them and remind them that a horse is a bigger task than their dog or cat at home xD. Their parents are grateful as well haha.

Welp i'm so glad I could help my friend, and as soon as you get that cute ball of sass send pictures!!! ^^

yesss so did i when i first got my chihuahua puppy!! he's such a disaster around the house but
    we still love him!! i already picked out a name for my akita so i already know what to name him!! but the
    litter that's being planned is going to be until summer, and i haven't sighed myself up yet to get into the
    breeder's waiting list. i really need my parent's help to sign the form and send it to the breeder. i'm so
    happy that i found a japanese akita/hokkaido ken breeder near me but i found that breeder like almost
    a year ago

i KNOW RIGHT i really love their cute little faces and their ears fdjkasnkfjjadnsf yES!! my mom and dad haven't done
    any researching on getting a dog and i only got the chihuahua just because i watched a movie that had one so i
    assumed that they are good dogs and i didn't even know how to train them until this day.. oh god. yup, that's
    the way. bOY IT MUST BE A GREATER TASK THEN TAKING CARE OF A DOG OR CAT [/

i absolutely will!!! [/list]
work in progress
kishu.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby oddball1234 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:04 pm

Caught a wild Killian yawning xD

also this one is from a month or so ago that my sister sent me

and before anyone says anything to me about his kennel.. he's only in it maybe a hour a day. I put him in there when i leave for work and then my grandma or sister let him out when they get up. the only other time he is in there is to eat dinner. Because its the only way he will eat all his food. I know its small but my mom and sister took Killy's old one over when they go their pups. i didn't really mind because Killian doesn't stay in the kennel that much at all anymore.

╔═════════════════════════╗

“All I can see is my life
flashing before my eyes.
But that’s okay: I always skip
the boring bits.”

╚═════════════════════════╝

oddball1234

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:20 pm

humblebumble wrote:Hello to everyone, I have a question, I'm getting a dog soon and I wanted to know should I allow him to sleep on my bed, in my room, or give him his own space? Any input is very appreciated. :)

apology hit on all the most important points. I just have a little to add.

It's really up to you and your dog. Most dogs want to sleep with their owners and it is a great way to bond and build trust with your dog. I remember Chloe's first night with me. I was so excited I couldn't sleep and she was too nervous to sleep. Finally I passed out about 5 in the morning while I was petting her and my Mom found us sound asleep with my hand across her neck, lol.

That being said there may be times when one or both of you want your own space so even if your dog sleeps with you regularly I would still have a dog bed nearby so he can choose to be by himself if he wants. If it is a small dog I recommend a set of stairs or a ramp so he can more easily get up and down, not to mention it is safer as I have known dogs who have seriously injured themselves jumping on/off furniture. Also he will one day be unable to jump and this way he will already have what he needs to help available and be comfortable using it. Understand both must be trained though.

I'd also get your dog comfortable with getting on and off the bed on cue as well as allowing you to move him. Feel free to ask if you need instructions on how to do this. Teaching this will help prevent any recourse guarding of the bed.

And last I'd recommend putting down a blanket/towel/etc. whether you need it to be the full bed or just the end will be determined by where your dog likes to sleep and whether he likes to move around or not. Not only is this easy to swap out and wash regularly (I use hospital blankets we've collected over the years) but will help protect your bedding. Remember that no matter how well trained your dog is at some point in its life if will likely have an accident or vomit on the bed. Having that extra layer (http://www.dogquality.com has some designed that are really absorbent) can help.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me