Overated Animals?

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Quick Vote: Most Overated Animal?

Cats
12%
Dogs
18%
Lions
7%
Wolves
35%
Bears
2%
Dolphins
7%
Foxes
9%
Deer
2%
Other
8%

Total votes : 797

Re: Overated Animals?

Postby Sinful_Lies » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:07 pm

Hollyleafcat121 wrote:
Comrade wrote:I agree when it comes to dogs being overrated. I honestly cant stand watching people treat their purebred (not hating on purebreds, just stereotyping) dog like they do a toddler. Like putting them in strollers or baby carriers (I work in retail I see it ALL the time). My local Target actually now allows you to bring in pets, not just service dogs. I'm actually allergic to dogs, and watching them run around while I shop is a turnoff. Now I avoid Target!

I'm totally fine with you loving dogs, I dont actually say anything, it more just annoys me in my head. Then the purebred owners start hating on bully breed owners and blah blah blah

I am a owner of a lovely purebred cocker spaniel and I would never treat her like a toddler, but my cousin treats her purebred bichon frize like one and it drives me mad, Lilly (her dog) gets human food all the time, isn’t properly toilet trained and isn’t even had basic training, and my auntie? She doesn’t do a thing, now I wouldn’t say it as in it’s only purebreds, just because it’s not as common in mixes it’s still possible so I half-agree but I don’t think you should say that about purebreds.

My first two dogs were from shelters, a poodle mix and a Rhodesian Ridgeback pitbull mix. So it's not impossible, but hard to find hypoallergenic dogs at shelters.

People who don't potty train their dogs are so gross. I don't understand why people would just let their dog poop and pee everywhere. Do you have no respect for where you or your dog live? You wouldn't let your baby poop on the floor so why let your dog? You know?

xx│ She/Her │ xx
Semi Active
PFP made by faded_dreams11 and Sig art by aortic

FRKalons
Sinful_Lies

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FANTASIIIA » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:11 pm

Alcidesune wrote:
*Moonblaze wrote:wolves are not overrated! they are amazing! and also, so many people actually hate wolves, they are killed so often!

Nobody actually hates wolves anymore, nor can I recall any point in recent times where people did. As for the death of wolves by humans: out of the 40% yearly mortality rate of wolves, only 15% of that is caused by humans. Mind you, this is only for Canada, considering that the hunting of wolves in the U.S is illegal outside of special hunting seasons put in place to manage overpopulation issues.
Basically, twice as many wolves die each year to disease and starvation caused by overpopulation than they do to human hunting. They're Least Concern on the endangered species list for a reason.

Wolves are hated only in fairy tales. IRL they are loved by many,

" All it costs is your love!! "
    Welcome! I am quite friendly and I love chatting as well as meeting new friends.
    [they/she/he][INFJ][©]
FANTASIIIA

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sapphire_Amulet » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:12 pm

c a w. wrote:
Alcidesune wrote:
*Moonblaze wrote:wolves are not overrated! they are amazing! and also, so many people actually hate wolves, they are killed so often!

Nobody actually hates wolves anymore, nor can I recall any point in recent times where people did. As for the death of wolves by humans: out of the 40% yearly mortality rate of wolves, only 15% of that is caused by humans. Mind you, this is only for Canada, considering that the hunting of wolves in the U.S is illegal outside of special hunting seasons put in place to manage overpopulation issues.
Basically, twice as many wolves die each year to disease and starvation caused by overpopulation than they do to human hunting. They're Least Concern on the endangered species list for a reason.

Wolves are hated only in fairy tales. IRL they are loved by many,

I never understood why wolves were hated in fairy tales so much, Does anyone know?
███████
███████
███████
███████
███████
███████
███████

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
WITH YOU !!
──────── █▒

Image Image
┌─▒────────┐
/ / / / credit

└──────────┘
┌──────▒─┐

Hi! I'm Sapphire!
I'm a huge Marvel fan
and I dunno what
to write here so,
wow have a heart ❤

└────────┘
TILL THE END

Image Image
▒█

███████████
███████████

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
Sapphire_Amulet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FANTASIIIA » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:15 pm

Sapphire_Amulet wrote:
I never understood why wolves were hated in fairy tales so much, Does anyone know?

Because wolves used to be a big threat to humans. Especially in winter.

" All it costs is your love!! "
    Welcome! I am quite friendly and I love chatting as well as meeting new friends.
    [they/she/he][INFJ][©]
FANTASIIIA

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shibeboi » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:19 pm

I don’t like this thread very much. There is nothing wrong with liking a certain animal, even if it is very popular. Each species has good and bad creatures in it. There are bad dogs, bad cats, bad snakes, bad birds, bad bears, bad wolves, bad everything. It’s not fair to judge animals based on how many people like them. Don’t like cats? Fine, but don’t call them “overrated” just because a lot of people like them. Like cats? Fine, but don’t attack people that don’t, as you’re encourage them to think they ar overrated. Each animal is beautiful in its own way, and it shouldn’t be judged based on how many people like it.
shibeboi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sweathie » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:20 pm

shibeboi wrote:I don’t like this thread very much. There is nothing wrong with liking a certain animal, even if it is very popular. Each species has good and bad creatures in it. There are bad dogs, bad cats, bad snakes, bad birds, bad bears, bad wolves, bad everything. It’s not fair to judge animals based on how many people like them. Don’t like cats? Fine, but don’t call them “overrated” just because a lot of people like them. Like cats? Fine, but don’t attack people that don’t, as you’re encourage them to think they ar overrated. Each animal is beautiful in its own way, and it shouldn’t be judged based on how many people like it.

i 100% agree with this
xlxImagexxxxxImagexxxxxImage
sweathie / michael
⍢ sweathie on everything ⍢
he/him | college student
my only discord is sweathie
xxxxxxx
xchicoons || commissionsxxxxxxImage Image
sweathie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Alcidesune » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:50 pm

Sapphire_Amulet wrote:
c a w. wrote:Wolves are hated only in fairy tales. IRL they are loved by many,

It's because most Fairy Tales have an origin in medieval Europe, and European wolves behave a lot differently than North American wolves. Particularly in the middle ages, European wolves were known for considering humans to be a viable source of food. Hence, wolves in fairy tales are always trying to eat people.
Click the image to see the artists!

He/Him | Alc/Alcides
Connoisseur of the freaky and monstrous
Alcidesune

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Comrade » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:19 pm

shibeboi wrote:I don’t like this thread very much. There is nothing wrong with liking a certain animal, even if it is very popular. Each species has good and bad creatures in it. There are bad dogs, bad cats, bad snakes, bad birds, bad bears, bad wolves, bad everything. It’s not fair to judge animals based on how many people like them. Don’t like cats? Fine, but don’t call them “overrated” just because a lot of people like them. Like cats? Fine, but don’t attack people that don’t, as you’re encourage them to think they ar overrated. Each animal is beautiful in its own way, and it shouldn’t be judged based on how many people like it.

No one on this thread is purely attacking an animal? If anything we’re blaming society for making us view the animal that way? Even still we can’t do anything about it, why not discuss it?

~ ☾ - she/her - usa - INFP - ☽ ~

~ During the school year I am slow replying to PMs and trades ~
Comrade

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silxe » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:59 am

Parrots are super overrated, kinda. As pets. Parrots are horrible pets (sans the domesticated English Budgie) and I don't think anyone should have one. Their overratedness actually hurts them via the pet trade.
Chickens, pigeons, ducks, canaries and zebra finches are better avian pets.
call me something

She/her

Artist | Talk to me | shy

I'm also currently writing a warriors fic
Discuss it here with me
Read it here!
Silxe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby skully. » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:04 pm

Silxe wrote:Parrots are super overrated, kinda. As pets. Parrots are horrible pets (sans the domesticated English Budgie) and I don't think anyone should have one. Their overratedness actually hurts them via the pet trade.
Chickens, pigeons, ducks, canaries and zebra finches are better avian pets.

Parrots can be great pets for the right individual.
skully.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me