Pets VS Halloween --- What's safe?

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Pets VS Halloween --- What's safe?

Postby grey-ghost » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:34 pm

When I was younger, I was trick or treating with some friends and friends' siblings. My friend's little sister brought their family yorkie along with us and it did NOT work out. He was very startled, overwhelmed, and uncomfortable with the whole situation, not to mention he got stepped on multiple times. Do not take pets trick or treating, please, for their own safety.
grey-ghost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rachaelray » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:01 am

Pets are safe than Halloween.Image
rachaelray

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Clockwork~ » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:01 am

This needs to be brought back up for this year.
Keep your pets inside, and away from the door.

Clockwork

She/Her

I'm a proud freak with a bizarre obsession with Alexander Hamilton and anger at the incredibly inaccurate musical.

I'm still sending PMs and I'm trying to get pets from quitting users before they lose interest so the pets go back into the economy. I haven't quit per se, just changed motivation.
That means if you want my pets you can have them, if you need to get rid of stuff fast, I'll give them out, and if you need a friend I'm happy with random PMs. :)
~Clockwork~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:27 pm

I agree on keeping pets indoors on Halloween night, for both their safety and comfort. However the idea of black cats being targeted for sacrifice or "kill a pit bull night" are based in myth not evidence. Yes, there are people who will steal and abuse animals but I don't think it's any worse on Halloween night.

The main cause of documented harm coming to animals on Halloween is from them eating candy. Every year pets wind up at the vets from eating chocolate and xylitol, and yes the wrappers pose hazards too. And even if most of the candy is gone a pet can still get sick from eating the wrapper so be careful about where you throw your trash.

Candles also pose a hazard to pets so keep them away from your pets. Same goes for everything with batteries in it as batteries are toxic and will have to be removed.

And while we're talking parties guests may have things in their purses/bags/backpacks that are toxic to pets (candy, batteries, medicine). Put them somewhere they can't get to them or monitor your pets closely. And monitor your party guests too. Some will not know, believe, or care about what might be toxic to a pet. If you (if you're an adult) or your parents are serving alcohol watch your pet (or remove them) around that too. Other drinks and treats that are "sugar free" may contain xylitol so make sure your pet doesn't go sampling.

Give your pets plenty of exercise before Halloween night and prepare some toys/treats to occupy them and distract them from the ToTers coming to the door. I've hear of some people leaving a TV or radio on to drown out the noise. Sometimes you need to get creative. I, for one, have a dog with separation anxiety. So instead of locking her away I put a baby gate up at the door to keep her from darting out (I reach over to give out candy) and I use a harness and leash to tie her to our very heavy coffee table (she's not heavy enough to move it. I also give her a peanut butter stuffed Kong and we get through the night with a minimum of barking. I also keep the screen door locked so kids can't just open the door which is not only unsafe but ticks me off too.

Regardless of what you do with your pet have ID on them just in case they get out and if they have a microchip make sure it's registered and updated. All it takes is a few seconds for someone to open an inside door while you're opening the front door and they can get out. Also if you can put something reflective on them, reflective tape on their collar, they sell collars that light up. Halloween is a prime time for getting hit by a car.

Know where your nearest emergency vet is just in case something does happen.

And now that we've gotten all the serious stuff out of the way how about a fun story? When my late dog was older and we thought it safe I would answer the door with her on my hip. She still had on a harness and leash. She loved the attention she got. She could smell the candy though and one time followed it and put her nose in some little kid's candy bag. The kid was too little to understand but me and the dad had a good laugh over that one.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me