Horse training problem...

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Horse training problem...

Postby SouthernWhisp » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:59 pm

Ok so I've been breaking horses for a while now and each time I've done it I've always had a roundpen or arena to work with. Now here comes the problem/ story. My friend wants me to help break his horse. He doesn't have a roundpen or arena and to make matters worse he's already tried to rope/halter break the horse. (A two year old filly who has yet to be separated from her mother...) Well he failed, best way to put it. :? He threw a rope around her neck and tied her to a post (he's a good ole southern redneck who is used to breaking a horse not 'indian gentling' (also known as natural horsemanship) as he would put it.) Obviously the horse flipped out and almost choked itself to death while trying to get away, so now whenever the horse has a rope on or near her she flips out and goes flying. So I know how I'm going to fix the fear of ropes, but how do work with her when all they have is an open field. (They do a have a barn with stalls, but I'm afraid such a closed in area will make her more nervous. Plus if things do get dangerous, I'm in a stall and can't run under or jump over a corral fence for safety.I don't like the idea of being that enclosed...) She's not afraid of people and will let you touch her, but the second a rope comes out she runs, kicks, and rears. Any ideas?

Please only constructive comments. I realize what the guy did was wrong, he realizes it, and now he's asked me to help do it the right way. So that's in the past and we're moving on...
SouthernWhisp

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Horse training problem...

Postby DarkWren » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:52 am

My first thoughts are that this horse needs to be weaned, she is well past the age of weaning and needs to be separated from her mother or she will not likely form bonds with humans as well. My first thoughts for positive association is to start from the absolute bottom and try just showing the rope, but in a way where there is no pressure on her other than her own, and no real interaction yet. Try placing some ropes or pieces of it visibly near the water trough, gate and near feed anytime they are being fed. Eventually she will have to be near the rope and also she can start to see it as nothing more than an object.
DarkWren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Horse training problem...

Postby reynard » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:53 am

Please do not grave dig old threads.
Image]

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 18 people.
I have received 14 gifts.

IMPORTANT INFO: For the description portion, you have to break up each line to fit within the invisible boundary. Try to fit it within the "page break".
reynard
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me