Ranch/Farm Life Chat!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Ranch/Farm Life Chat!

Postby toxxic » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:57 am

ChevyTheQH wrote:*slowly raises hand*

I have 4 horses, 6 chickens, 3 dogs, and a goat!

Please teach my your secrets. HOW TO I GET MY HORSES FROM STICKING THEIR HEADS INTO THE FENCE! They keep getting stuck!

Step one: don't have horses. That is the only way to solve their dumb tendencies hahahaha - for real, my herd has belly deep grass on 56 acres and they STILL managed to find the one weak fence length yesterday and break through to the next pasture. Sorry I can't help more. Horses are dumb and we love them.
toxxic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby caterpillarcraft » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:00 am

toxxic wrote:
*Willow* wrote:How do you protect your chickens from predators, ( mostly bears but I don’t know if you have them where you live) I live in the woods and will be getting chickens soon, so I’m trying to get a lot of information.

We lock them in at night! We have coyotes, foxes, and badgers mostly - the occasional cougar finds its way to our area. But during the day they are in their outdoor run and we also have a donkey for protection!

I don’t live the ranchin’ life, but one of my mom’s friends’ does. She uses fencing that has a top so predators can’t get in, she also has a protection donkey!

Do you just lock the chickens up in their coop or do you have a separate area?

Caterpillar [♥︎Image♥︎] He/They
    xxxxxxxx───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────
    xImage Image Image
    Image Image
caterpillarcraft

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby toxxic » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:03 am

retrocean wrote:
toxxic wrote:
*Willow* wrote:How do you protect your chickens from predators, ( mostly bears but I don’t know if you have them where you live) I live in the woods and will be getting chickens soon, so I’m trying to get a lot of information.

We lock them in at night! We have coyotes, foxes, and badgers mostly - the occasional cougar finds its way to our area. But during the day they are in their outdoor run and we also have a donkey for protection!

I don’t live the ranchin’ life, but one of my mom’s friends’ does. She uses fencing that has a top so predators can’t get in, she also has a protection donkey!

Do you just lock the chickens up in their coop or do you have a separate area?

They have an indoor shelter/roost area yes! It's super secure, but their outdoor run isn't since we don't have much of a predator issue with the donkey around. But there's definitely some cool anti-predator fencing you can get for outdoor runs! :)
toxxic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fluffina » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:33 am

-vibrates with envy for your lifestyles-
-in a friendly way-

i live in a huge urban hell kinda city but i plan to move somewhere rural eventually
Fluffina

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kalcifer » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:37 pm

toxxic wrote:
Hihi!! I'm wondering if there are other CS users out there that live that ranchin' life and have an abundance of animals like I do! Or if anyone has questions about farm life, the animals, etc... I love to talk about my critters and my lifestyle so please ask away!! <3

I have:
26 horses
3 mini horses
1 mini donkey
Many chickens
2 goats
3 cows
7 cats
2 dogs
1 leopard gecko
1 corn snake

very jealous of your snake ownership. it is very illegal to have a snake over where i live :,(
kalcifer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me