Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby maninkari » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:58 pm

.Middy. wrote:Manikari, Oooh pretty! Do you have more pics? Do you sell them? I really need a new collar for Kes lol

No, I haven't sold any, I'm not quite confident in them yet. They're just a cute craft idea I had, I make them out of old belts. What's Kestrel's neck measurements? Maybe I'll make a couple her size for practice ^-^. Right now I make them Pete or JJ sized.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:01 pm

@Spartan
The thing isn't 'train your dog not to bark and whenever the dog barks make it stop'. That's sort of like abuse of power, it should only be used at appropriate times.
Yes, the smaller variations of poodles do bark more, I think its because their owners don't exercise them and keep them cooped up, so the dogs only way of releasing energy is barking or in other cases biting people/things.
Also spoos are my weakness, they're so elegant. Unlike many breeds I looovvee a show cut on a pretty spoo, in particular a black one^^

About the names, Vashti is actually Queen Vashti,
named from a disobedient queen in the Book of Esther.
Spade was named by my grand father, who of course is a card player haha. I think Spade's name fits her really well, even if most people think she's a boy even though she has a rainbow colored collar haha. Before Spade, my whole family voted on Bella, which I would have said no to anyways because I'm sick of hearing dogs named Bella, no way my dog was going to be named that lol. If my grandfather just had to pick a card name for her, I would have preferred Diamond.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose.bloom » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:08 pm

Regarding names...

I'm a triplet and before my parents new genders they thought if it was two girls and a boy they'd have Gretta + Blume + Stone but it ended up being two boys and a girl so it was Blume + Stone + Tate then we got Gretta and named her after the triplet that never was.

Dazey picked her name. We had a few names (Charlie, lucky, Dazey, Scout etc.) so we put all the names on paper, crumpled them up, there them on the floor, then put dazey in the room and the first piece of paper she picked up we would name her that. She picked Dazey :) we call her Daze most of the time though!
rose.bloom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Dog Owner Chat

Postby .Middy. » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:08 pm

maninkari wrote:
.Middy. wrote:Manikari, Oooh pretty! Do you have more pics? Do you sell them? I really need a new collar for Kes lol

No, I haven't sold any, I'm not quite confident in them yet. They're just a cute craft idea I had, I make them out of old belts. What's Kestrel's neck measurements? Maybe I'll make a couple her size for practice ^-^. Right now I make them Pete or JJ sized.

I'm pretty sure she's at like 14.5" or 15" I'd love to get some if you decide to make them depending on what patterns you have! I love getting her collars, even though she only wears them when we are out and about lol. I really need to get her a new one soon, she's got her first professional photoshoot at the end of the month and I want a few with a nice collar lol
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Dog Owner Chat

Postby xXocea » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:16 pm

.Middy. wrote:
maninkari wrote:

I'm pretty sure she's at like 14.5" or 15" I'd love to get some if you decide to make them depending on what patterns you have! I love getting her collars, even though she only wears them when we are out and about lol. I really need to get her a new one soon, she's got her first professional photoshoot at the end of the month and I want a few with a nice collar lol

Please do be sure to share!!! I absolutely love seeing pics of your fur-babies!! (Especially Chewie because I adore tricolor BC's. You don't post much of him though so every time you do I get really excited and have to gush over it like 10x over before I'm composed enough to move on.)

First profession photoshoot?? LOL, all of your photo's seem to be professional and well put-together!! I'd hardly call this her first. ;)
xXocea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:27 pm

Spartan Inna-973 RvB wrote:Would you know how exactly I'd go about trying to find one for Anxiety and PTSD?

For a service dog for anxiety or PTSD,
you can train it yourself, if you are able to. For most people with this disability, the process of training their service dog actually helps them.

Also, don't think everything had to be expensive. People love saying 'it costs thousands for a service dog', no you can literally go to your local shelter, and pick a suitable dog for like $75 or however much it costs in your area.

I'd also get a dog that's at least a year old, lots of people get puppies for the purpose of a service dog and then later on the dog may end up having behavioral issues that stop it from becoming an SD. By a year old most dogs have a pretty set personality by then.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:31 pm

O-o hmm so I could get any dog breed I wanted for that purpose sounds like good option that makes me much more sound. O_O I did say I wanted border collie. o-o and I would never a get a puppy but I do want a young dog thats like a year to 8 months at least. I would just need to work with a trainer right?
Last edited by Crossflare on Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:31 pm

I will definely share the photos I get! I'm super excited to see what we get, I met with the photographer yesterday and we picked out a really pretty location and got a general plan in place! So as long as Kes behaves hopefully she can get some great shots!

Haha trust me I'm far from professional! It's just a fun hobby for me, though I am always working to learn my camera better to take better shots. The photographer that will be taking her photos is amazing though, I'm so excited that we won a free shoot, I never would have been able to afford to do it otherwise lol

I'll defiantly have to get some new photos of Chew! I think tomorrow is supposed to be nice, so I'll probably take them into the back pasture to play and maybe make him pose for some photos if he's up for it lol
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:33 pm

I like that option of course the dog will need to be able to work around horses o-o as my future career will involve running therapy farm for riding or at least breeding horses. So it might help to teach the dog to behave around horses XD
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LizzytheWolf » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:40 pm

Okay, something interesting...

I found Justin's adoption papers and in the special notes spot, it says; "Summer dog".
Look up "summer dog" on google and the first result is why not to get one. "Summer dogs" are usually puppies bought by a family, often with kids, to live at a summer home with them. In the fall, the family goes back home, leaving the dog behind to fend for itself. The fall/winter house is rarely pet friendly and the family will get a new "summer dog" the following spring if the previous one died or more likely went looking for a new home.

The family who owned Justin had him for the first three years of his life, where a neighbor watched him while they were up north.
This past winter, the neighbor passed away unexpectedly and people started complaining about a noisy dog roaming their properties, looking for food.

Animal control came and picked him up and that's how he ended up at our shelter. I still don't know why he wasn't vaccinated for parvo, everything else is in the papers.

The tragic past of my poor baby makes me want to cry...
I have quit. Goodbye.
Profile pic is art of my GSD/Elkound mix, Justin. Credit to Kasezki on Deviantart.
LizzytheWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me