We need your feedback on an update to the rarity system!

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Which path should we take to improve the pet rarity system?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:06 pm

Keep the current categories, but spread pets out more across the categories we have
22%
Add a new "very uncommon" rarity category
16%
Add four new rarity categories
62%

Total votes : 5068

Re: We need your feedback on an update to the rarity system!

Postby Dragon Attack » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:36 pm

I feel like adding the 'extremely' ranks is like, a lot all at once? correct me if i'm wrong but the last time a new rank was added was OMGsc back in 2013... so you know. i'd feel like if the new ranks were to be added, it'd be better to add Very Uncommon first, have things settle, and add from there. However i'm not exactly an expert on this kinda stuff so i'm sure it's not that simple.
Dragon Attack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pinkie Cooper » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:48 pm

I personally feel that an extra 4 is a bit much, my main concern is I don't think there's any way I could begin to understand trading. I get that there would be a visual diagram but there would still be demand nuances to consider and flat out even with the visuals I don't think I could begin to remember each category and what comes before or after if there were a total of 11 categories. I think an additional one or two could be beneficial though. I like ER as a new rarity tag, and maybe another but I'm not sure on what. Adding more common options I feel will make it harder to get the rarer pets that you do want, while just adding ER and maybe another would actually add the distinction between some rare pets that is a bit needed. I have a feeling with four new categories I'd be left without even one rare, most of mine are probably bordering uncommon status as is. It would also make organizing much harder and in general make the website more intimidating to new users, imo. If I joined a new site with so many different rarity tags I'd just be overwhelmed. VUC or something between common and uncommon as a second option. Even if four are added, if possible I also think it'd be best to add them at least one or two at a time rather than all at once to see how it works. I feel like making such a huge change that suddenly could very negatively effect trading and the website, but I'm not an expert and that isn't really the main point I want to be making here. I appreciate the attempt to make some changes regardless and I'm not at all trying to come off like I don't! Just giving my honest feedback ^^
-KAIHEADULT-
Bi+Poly+Syshost MISA
Hey Shadow, long time no see!
Pinkie Cooper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blaubär » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:53 pm

Pinkie Cooper wrote: Even if four are added, if possible I also think it'd be best to add them at least one or two at a time rather than all at once to see how it works. I feel like making such a huge change that suddenly could very negatively effect trading and the website, but I'm not an expert and that isn't really the main point I want to be making here. I appreciate the attempt to make some changes regardless and I'm not at all trying to come off like I don't! Just giving my honest feedback ^^

I don't know about this. I think lots of players would then be "on hold" until rarities are finalized out of fear to trade for pets that will later fall into lower rarity categories. I think a lot of people are far too fixated on the rarity labels and fearing to lose value by downtrading. This, in my opinion, is connected to lists and guides/ideas on how to achieve list pets.
Last edited by Blaubär on Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blaubär

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Audrey_Bee » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:53 pm

I think a new rarity between vr and omgsr, uncommon and rare are 100% needed, others would be useful but these are most important !

Blaubär wrote:
Pinkie Cooper wrote: Even if four are added, if possible I also think it'd be best to add them at least one or two at a time rather than all at once to see how it works. I feel like making such a huge change that suddenly could very negatively effect trading and the website, but I'm not an expert and that isn't really the main point I want to be making here. I appreciate the attempt to make some changes regardless and I'm not at all trying to come off like I don't! Just giving my honest feedback ^^

I don't know about this. I think lots of players would then be "on hold" until rarities are finallized out of fear to trade for pets that will later fall into lower rarity categories. I think a lot of people are far too fixated on the rarity labels and fearing to lose value by downtrading. This, in my opinion, is connected to lists and guides/ideas on how to achieve list pets.

I agree, it would cause more chaos doing it a bit at a time than all at once!
Last edited by Audrey_Bee on Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audrey_Bee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thovatos » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:55 pm

I am ALL for the new rarities. All four of them right out the gait. I know that may seems strange, but it would be immensely helpful for pets who have been on the line for a while, as well as older store pets. The difference between a VR store and an OMGSR store? When they change labels, they rocket up in price. Having these gradual levels, it's easier to tell how fast, or at least, have maybe a year between these pets changing labels instead of one just suddenly changing to max label after waiting 8 years to do so. I also feel this well help better place pets rarity-wise for ones that have been shifting between OMGSR and VR for a long time now, like the black skull rat, or give a better indication what pets are more rare than their littermates (or have a much better odds of falling into a different category given the difference between category's not are very very lager than compared to how the new labels would treat them). Sure, the community would need time to figure out how trading would be valued 1:1, but that would be a natural change I'm sure the community would find most welcome, considering most trading right now is researching current trade values instead of at least a bit more of a spread on the spectrum where pets fall. These kinds of spread surely will be more common 'vrs' shifting out of their category like we know they should. Even for the green robo rat from the space event, it would really help to know how a pet like that falls on a more accurate 'spectrum'. No system is perfect, but the more details, the better. It'll be much easier to be confident that trading a vr for a vr will be much closer in rarity range to each other than it is now.
Thovatos

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Audrey_Bee » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:05 pm

Lacuna wrote:
    Hey there! I just wanted to jump in and let you all know that this update is a result of the community's care and commitment to proposing suggestions and discussing them. Based on my own knowledge and reading the discussions that have happened in the Suggestions board I brought a proposal to Admins regarding users' desire for a more detailed look at rarity, and these are the potential options we came up with after discussing that. This is a work in progress, so feel free to share your ideas, concerns, and feedback, though please be aware that some things (like sharing the exact number of different pets in circulation) are not a potential part of this update. I will be reading everything and working to synergize responses for Admins to evaluate. This basically means I'm becoming a go-between with Admins so your voices are heard in the implementation of this update and others in the future! I hope this will help improve your experience on CS.

Thank you so much for listening to the community and passing it forward!!! New rarities will be a huge help for trading, it'll for sure take some getting used to but it'll better show the exact rarity of pets <3 it's nice to know we are listened to, this site has been amazing for that the past few months especially !
Audrey_Bee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Drive Like Jehu » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:09 pm

i don't know which option to pick, but i support the idea of adding more rarities, even if it means i have to do a MASSIVE reorganization of my trade groups :lol: it just seems silly for like, a 2023 monthly deer to have the same rarity label as a 2011 pet.
keat(on) - he/him - adult - trans aromantic gay dude

liquidating most of my pets for FR. everything you see in the trade groups is for FR only, so trades offering pets/C$ will likely be cancelled.
i appreciate gifts but i will see them as currency gifts as i'll be trading them away (unless they're WL dwarf hammies... i collect those lol)

RICK FROBERG FOREVER! <3

> username is "Drive Like Jehu"
> look inside
> pfp is Obits
Drive Like Jehu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thovatos » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:20 pm

I also mean to ask if the pets in the update will be counted if an account has more than 1 of said-pet, or will it just flag the pet for being on the account, aka, hoarding being able to affect the 'amount in circulation' number?

I do like the idea of it being a one-per-account sort of flag. I'm not sure how it's really counted. If one user owns 4,000 of the same OMGSC deer, is it considering all 4,000 in circulation? Or just that an account has at least 1?
Thovatos

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby frogfan » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:23 pm

larn wrote:-snip-
I think maybe adding a specific pattern or shape for the rarities will be nice option to have in user settings if we end up deciding to have 4 more rarities, although I also do find it a bit confusing since my eyes are kind of wonky too. Even so, distinguishing between 11 different patterns and shapes will be quite difficult in my opinion.

If we do end up implementing 4 new rarities (not my preference but that's not relevant) maybe the indicator shape should just change for either the big category types (common, uncommon, rare, and OMG) or the subsections (very, extremely) and not for Every Rarity. 11 shapes is way too many I agree.
This would be Toggleable of course. Accessibility is all about choice.ideally there'd be an option for each version and an additional option for just stars with no variation

(Img for reference of the current bar)

For example anything Common (common, very common, extremely common) could all have their shapes be a circle. Uncommons (uncommons, very uncommon, extremely uncommon) could be squares. Rares (rare, very rare, extremely rare) could be triangles. And OMG (OMG so common and OMGSR) could be stars.
Could be useful if you want to distinguish a broad category quickly

Alternatively only the subsections (basic, very, and extremely) would have different shapes. For example the Basics (common, uncommon, rare) would be circles. The Verys (very common, very uncommon, very rare) could be squares. The Extremelys (extremely common, extremely uncommon, and extremely rare) would be triangles. And the OMGs (OMGSR and OMG so common) would be stars.
Could be helpful if you understand the rough general rarity at a glance, but want the finer subcategory easier to distinguish
Last edited by frogfan on Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:58 pm, edited 9 times in total.
frogfan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aurora Storm » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:25 pm

Thovatos wrote:I also mean to ask if the pets in the update will be counted if an account has more than 1 of said-pet, or will it just flag the pet for being on the account, aka, hoarding being able to affect the 'amount in circulation' number?

I do like the idea of it being a one-per-account sort of flag. I'm not sure how it's really counted. If one user owns 4,000 of the same OMGSC deer, is it considering all 4,000 in circulation? Or just that an account has at least 1?

Rarities are calculated based on the number of pets on active accounts, so an active account with duplicates of a pet would count for ALL the "copies" of that pet (so 4,000 of the same OMGSC deer in your example) ^^
╔═ · ✧ · ════════════════════╗
guide to cs rarities | trades | need help?
╚════════════════════ · ✧ · ═╝
Aurora Storm
General Helper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me