Dinosaur (fan/discussion) club!

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

Dinosaur (fan/discussion) club!

Postby InterfectorFactory » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:20 am

I noticed that there are no discussion/fan/whatever dinosaur topics so I took it upon myself, a huge dinosaur fan, to start one.
You do not need to fill out a form or "become a member" to join, just start talking or tell us your favorite dinosaur species :)
If this turns out to get big I'll expand and fancy up this post.

Rules
- All CS rules apply
- No spamming/one word posts
- Art may be shared but only if it's made by you or of your (dinosaur) character. No random dinosaur pictures.
- Stay friendly and on topic
- Try not to dubbelpost, instead, edit your post and bump the thread (button on the bottom of the page).

What's this club for?
Anything dinosaur related can be discussed here! You can show off your dinosaur OC's/characters/fursonas/art, talk about newly discovered fossils, your favorite dinosaurs, your adventures in dinosaur games (primal carnage or the isle for example) or anything else dinosaur related!

Related
Dinosaur Adopts
Quararaptors

Editable oekaki
A collection of dinosaur editable oekakies! Feel free to post any I may have missed!
Feathered/scaled raptor
Feathered raptor
Adoptable raptor lines
Fluffy's editable raptor base
Small raptor editable
Double raptor (adoptable/ref)
Realistic raptor
Triple triceratops (adopable/editable)

Stamps!
Feel free to make your own, make sure to post them so I can add them!
Code: Select all
[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3325615][img]http://i.imgur.com/Mcv710S.jpg[/img][/url]

Code: Select all
[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3325615][img]http://i.imgur.com/q9xKGeE.jpg[/img][/url]
Last edited by InterfectorFactory on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:27 am, edited 10 times in total.
^toyhou.se (click)^

Looking for art in exchange for pets!
^All my pets are up for trade!^

┌───────────────────────┐
Commission info
Deviantart
Interfector's army
Flight Rising
Instagram
└───────────────────────┘

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
InterfectorFactory

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Dinosaur (fan/discussion) club!

Postby InterfectorFactory » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:53 am

I'll start off the discussion :)

A recent article tells that another reason the dinosaurs went extinct (besides the giant meteor, which was kindof the finishing blow) is that their incubation time was probably way too long (up to six months) which is why very little dinos were actually even born in the first place.
Article here

Poor baby dinos :(
^toyhou.se (click)^

Commission info
Deviantart
Interfector's army
Flight Rising
Instagram

InterfectorFactory

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wordgenerator » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:50 am

I'm not a big dinosaur fan, but this seems interesting. The thing is, is it absolutely determined that dinosaurs existed? And if they did go extinct because of the meteor, wouldn't humans have found the huge crater where the meteor landed, or shouldn't Earth be destroyed? On the other hand, after all these years would the mark be gone? Also, if the incubation time was really long, wouldn't they have developed and changed acoording to their environment?
WordGenerator
Wordgenerator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Inigo. » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:12 am

And didn't some dinosaurs attack their young? That could be a problem
Thanks to the rarity change i finally got an omgsr!!! It's been a goal of mine since 2013 aaa
Inigo.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby InterfectorFactory » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:12 am

Wordgenerator wrote:I'm not a big dinosaur fan, but this seems interesting. The thing is, is it absolutely determined that dinosaurs existed? And if they did go extinct because of the meteor, wouldn't humans have found the huge crater where the meteor landed, or shouldn't Earth be destroyed? On the other hand, after all these years would the mark be gone? Also, if the incubation time was really long, wouldn't they have developed and changed acoording to their environment?

We found thousands of fossils of their bones, skin, feathers, eggs and even poop, that they existed is a fact. There is a giant crater, it's 180KM in diameter. The meteor landed in the Gulf of Mexico. Even after all these years it's still visible but not as a smoking fresh crater of course. It worn down and is mostly underwater.
The thing is, the meteor wasn't big enough to destroy the earth. Actually, it didn't even kill everything: our ancestors survived: small mammals. Other animals that survived are crocodiles, small birds, sharks, horseshoe crabs for example. The meteor did cause a nuclear winter and worldwide fires of which the ashes and increased carbon are still visible in layers of rocks now. This is also how we know the impact was about 66 million years ago.

As for the development and change in the egg: that's not how evolution works. It takes generations upon generations for a species to change and evolve. Sometimes a lucky mutation gives one animal an advantage that makes it more likely for it to survive and reproduce and thus passing on the mutation. Take it into perspective: their incubation time is still shorter than that of humans (9 months). It's just that six months is a long time to be in an egg. Eggs cant run away and need to be looked after. Not all dinos did that (though some species did).

I hope that answers your questions ^^

Gundham Tanaka wrote:And didn't some dinosaurs attack their young? That could be a problem

Cannibalism is not unheard of no. Young dinos make easy prey. They didn't necessarily eat their own young but the young of others are an easy snack even if they're the same species. Crocodiles also eat the young of other crocodiles. It's like that.
^toyhou.se (click)^

Commission info
Deviantart
Interfector's army
Flight Rising
Instagram

InterfectorFactory

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wordgenerator » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:39 am

Wow, you are very knowledgeable about dinosaurs. I have another question. How do people know what colour dinosaurs were? You always see in books the dinosaurs' skin, but how can they tell?
WordGenerator
Wordgenerator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby InterfectorFactory » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:50 pm

I'm by no means an expert but thanks :) I'll gladly answer any questions you may have (if I know the answer).

99% of the time it's fantasy, we don't know what color most dinos were. However there have been some fossils on which colors and patterns can be seen. Like this one you can see stripes on its tail. This is also a fossil from which color pigment can be extracted which gives an idea of the dinos color.
^toyhou.se (click)^

Commission info
Deviantart
Interfector's army
Flight Rising
Instagram

InterfectorFactory

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jillybean711 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:37 am

InterfectorFactory wrote:I'm by no means an expert but thanks :) I'll gladly answer any questions you may have (if I know the answer).

99% of the time it's fantasy, we don't know what color most dinos were. However there have been some fossils on which colors and patterns can be seen. Like this one you can see stripes on its tail. This is also a fossil from which color pigment can be extracted which gives an idea of the dinos color.

To add onto what Intefector is saying, often times when I'm drawing dinosaurs, I research what type of environment they lived in when they were alive. Geologists also have a part in Paleontology, and are able to tell what life was like for the dinosaurs while they were alive, just by looking at the area where the fossils were originally found. I used this as a prompt for one of my characters, Tahki. As her species lived in a typically marshy area, like her relatives, the modern day Crocodile. I also take notice of the closest living relative of the dinosaur I'm drawing, just to get an idea of how they might've looked. Such as, Chickens are the closest living relatives to the Tyrannosaurus rex, so its possible there might've been some diversity in their color. I also tend to make the male dinosaurs a bit bigger, and brighter colored, while I make the females a bit more dull-colored, considering there is so much sexual dimorphism in modern day birds.
Image Deviantart

Hello I'm Jilly! I am an artist, writer, gamer, and I love creating characters. I am a nerd at heart about literature, films, and bugs! I am open to commissions, and art trades. Just send me a private message and I'll be happy to discuss!
jillybean711

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby InterfectorFactory » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:38 am

It's btw plausible that male dinos were often smaller than females. Take the T-Rex for example: the biggest skeletons that were found of the Rex were all female.
Could be coincidence though.
^toyhou.se (click)^

Commission info
Deviantart
Interfector's army
Flight Rising
Instagram

InterfectorFactory

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Salamandaa » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:38 am

InterfectorFactory wrote:It's btw plausible that male dinos were often smaller than females. Take the T-Rex for example: the biggest skeletons that were found of the Rex were all female.
Could be coincidence though.

Also, modern-day raptors typically show a lot of dimorphism, with females tending to be larger than males. While there is no conclusive evidence, it is hypothesized by some paleontologists that in some species, females were indeed bigger than males Like the rex.

Gundham Tanaka wrote:And didn't some dinosaurs attack their young? That could be a problem

Some probably did. Like Interfector already mentioned, animals such as crocodiles will sometimes eat their young. There is actually evidence that leads to the belief that some dinosaurs did raise or protect their young, however. Maiasaurs are well-known for having raised offspring. Maiasaura actually means "Good Mother Reptile" and are believed to have fed their babies until they could take care of themselves.

My old username was Frostdragon
New username, new me! I like dinosaurs.
Salamandaa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me