Artist Army {old thread}

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

Re: Artist Army

Postby Atomic Blue » Mon May 28, 2012 9:02 am

♫ sᴜᴍᴍᴇʀ ♪ sᴛᴏʀᴍ ♫ wrote:
    Does anyone have any tips for digital painting? I'm using Chickensmoothie's very own Chibipaint. >_<

This discussion is an active one.
please excuse the size of this post. c:
good luck by the way,
I don't know how you can stand using chibipaint. xD

Alexander White wrote:for guides on digital painting, i have 2 speedpaint videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NaV1Tz2si8&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ykkPHXzU0s&feature=plcp

Harpalyce wrote:I'm not good at digital painting at all, but to be honest, my advice is "keep working on it".

Art's sort of like a pendulum. There will be many points during which it will look absolutely horrible. You just have to keep. on. going. I haven't done any digital painting without heavily referencing another picture as far as light source goes. Usually I do a quick sketch based on the photograph, then lay down general base colors underneath, then the first round of shadows and highlights to get the face shapes defined, then I hide the sketch later and work on many layers of shadows/highlights while looking every so often at the reference picture.

DON'T BE AFRAID TO USE COLOR, especially in skin tones and shadows of skin tones.

Here's some WIPs of my most recent attempt at digital painting if you'd like to see. Please take my advice with a grain of salt, though - I am VERY MUCH not an expert and I've only attempted such things a few times!

Toki&Bel wrote:
Atomic Blue wrote:
azalea wrote:aide note; I really want to learn digital painting, I kind of want to stray away from line-art and hard edges. I want to get out of this comfort zone, but not really sure where to start...Any advice/tips anyone? D:[/size]

Sketch and just splat colour on that. (or go black and white and work up your light and shadows) Work on one layer and just keep building up. I don't know, for me it's just doing it and doing it again and again. It's not really different from working with lineart although rendering I suppose does take more effort (in my opinion)
I guess try not to expect it to look good when you're first starting out. Same principle for any art: work really big if you want lots of detail. Just my two cents, I guess. Keep experimenting and you'll find something you like sooner or later, right?

this is how I also do it, I just sketch out first, then just start putting base colors above the sketch.
I gradually build up from that, putting the shadow first then the highlights.

SIE SIND DAS ESSEN
UND WIR SIND DIE JÄGER
Atomic Blue

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jubee » Mon May 28, 2012 9:14 am

Jubee wrote:i know how off it is anatomy-wise, but would anyone mind red-lining this so i could have an idea of what i should do next time?
http://irockyursox.deviantart.com/#/d4yugqd
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/ ... 4yugqd.png

agh, the boobs are huge.

i appreciate the comment, ♫ sᴜᴍᴍᴇʀ ♪ sᴛᴏʀᴍ ♫. <3

would anyone like to critique or red-line this, please? c:
    𝚑𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚘 !
i'm franny! i take random
hiatuses from cs all the ti
me but im back for rping!!
    𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚒𝚗𝚏𝚘 !
deviantART // tumblr // BLM
she/her // pansex // agnostic
nyc // young adult // haitian
Jubee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jinhwan - LEFT » Mon May 28, 2012 9:16 am

[i]Why do you fail me hand?[

I've been thinking of making some dragon species, but I find it impossible to draw on my IPad. /i]
Jinhwan - LEFT

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wibeke » Mon May 28, 2012 9:35 am

I'm somewhat ashamed of the art I'm about to post, but would anyone be able to critque my neopet drawing? Don't laugh, I was bored and remembered I had an account OTL It's of my moehog, seen here.
I tried a different coloring style, and I'm not sure if I like it or not. Anatomy critiques are welcome as well, though I wasn't focusing too much on it so it's a bit wonky.
Any crits/comments would be very much appreciated. Also, if I post another neopet you have my full permission to shoot me. I will not get addicted to that site.

---

Toki&Bel wrote:
I'm like on a roll

still having so much fun with making designs *v*

As always, your designs are lovely. You have a really good eye for color, and they're not too overcrowded or simple. I really love that genet, the world needs more pretty genet characters. <3
Anatomy wise they're pretty solid, but I think the legs could use a bit of work. You tend to make legs very short and wide, and the hind legs are very angular with knees that are very low to the ground. There are some exceptions, but dogs tend to have very thin, almost springy looking legs. There are three distinct sections, but they sort of blend together. Genets have very different anatomy, of course, but the same idea applies.
The paws are also very flat and wide. Maybe look at some pictures and focus on how the legs are put together. You have a really good grasp on anatomy but I think you just tend to over exaggerate different aspects of it.
It's probably just a stylistic choice, but I figured I'd point it out in case it's helpful. I can try and redline if you want me to.

Medusa's Cascade wrote:I think bel said everything I can see, Bast. Nice job, though, it looks pretty good~
And I love the designs, bel. The second has a really cool coloring style. ouo

Just wanted to share a colored sketch commission I finished. C:

It's so pudgy and cute and adorable! <3
I really love your style, everything is so fluffy and huggable. I could try and offer a few crits if you're looking for them, but given how stylized it is there's not too much to say.

Toy•Llama wrote:
I drew this a couple of minutes ago. Timer is Liarface xD I think my canine skills are growing! :3

Love that art, Medusa!

Yay, another new species. I'll have to keep an eye on them in case you start doing adoptions. ^^
looking through your gallery, I completely agree. It looks like you've been doing a lot of work to improve your anatomy and it shows. It may help you to keep a couple pictures with you as references, as well as try a bunch of weird perspectives to get an even better idea of how the body is put together. You're off to a great start and I can't wait to see you improve even more.
Species wise, I almost want to say you should try and play up the deer part of them and stray away a bit from the canine base. You've clearly put a ton of thought into them and I like how they are right now, but there's a massive over flow of made up wolf-like animals right now. Focus less on the species being a forest-dwelling flying canine and more on how it would live in it's environment. What aspects of different animals would work well in a forest, and what parts would hinder it. Long tails are great for steering, but the added fluff would make it heavy and somewhat cumbersome in the air. It's kind of fun and helpful to think out all the little aspects of your creatures, as in real life evolution plays pretty much the same role.

Hopefully you understood some of that. I'm half asleep, so this may or may not be helpful. OTL

Oh, and don't forget to comment on others' art! ^^

Salt wrote:Well, a made a Fursona for my friend and is the any possible critique for me? Anatomy, design, concept? c:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1201930

Ooh, I really like her!
Maybe just repeat the pink on her tail? Just little band or the tail tip, since it's used on the rest of the design. Repeating it one more time would help with the flow, since it's a little weird seeing nothing but green and white on the tail but pink at the front end and middle.

Alduin wrote:anyhow, this is the finished version of my painting i was doing B)
http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/fss/984 ... ighter.png

species is copyright to your very own susiron, so is the character althouh she was based off me lool

That is amazing. 0.o

Emerald123 wrote:
[i]Why do you fail me hand?[

I've been thinking of making some dragon species, but I find it impossible to draw on my IPad. /i]

The fact that you even managed to draw with an ipad is pretty impressive, I'd say. Those things hate my guts.
Your dragon looks pretty good, regardless. I'd try and go back and work on defining the muscles as right now it's a bit... shapeless, I guess? Maybe use pictures of lizards to help you out, and try and build your species up from there.
Last edited by wibeke on Mon May 28, 2012 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

jen they/them ace dumpster fire
aka wibekapedia

always open for commissions on DA

talk to me about pigeons!

● ● ●

art shop - deviantart
my kalons
wibeke

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Atomic Blue » Mon May 28, 2012 9:40 am

Jubee wrote:would anyone like to critique or red-line this, please? c:

critique and redline all in one,
sorry if my printing is completely illegible. T xT
edit: if you need help with face just let me know
and no worries, I've seen some ridiculous boobs before.

we all have.

wibeke wrote:
I'm somewhat ashamed of the art I'm about to post, but would anyone be able to critque my neopet drawing? Don't laugh, I was bored and remembered I had an account OTL It's of my moehog, seen here.

LOL neopets I remember playing neopets. that was so, so long ago.
I actually like your drawing a lot, I just with the cloth looked more like cloth.
but jaa, nice one. c:
Last edited by Atomic Blue on Mon May 28, 2012 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

SIE SIND DAS ESSEN
UND WIR SIND DIE JÄGER
Atomic Blue

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jubee » Mon May 28, 2012 9:43 am

Atomic Blue wrote:
Jubee wrote:would anyone like to critique or red-line this, please? c:

critique and redline all in one,
sorry if my printing is completely illegible. T xT

haha, i'm pretty aware of how huge her head is, but thank you for pointing that out. c:
anyway, your comments are pretty helpful, not to mention hilarious. XD thank you!
    𝚑𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚘 !
i'm franny! i take random
hiatuses from cs all the ti
me but im back for rping!!
    𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚒𝚗𝚏𝚘 !
deviantART // tumblr // BLM
she/her // pansex // agnostic
nyc // young adult // haitian
Jubee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby azalea » Mon May 28, 2012 10:43 am

wibeke wrote:
I tried a different coloring style, and I'm not sure if I like it or not. Anatomy critiques are welcome as well, though I wasn't focusing too much on it so it's a bit wonky.
Any crits/comments would be very much appreciated. Also, if I post another neopet you have my full permission to shoot me. I will not get addicted to that site.

;AA; I love this coloring style, wib <33 I love how textured it is, especially the clothing and the little mohawk. My suggestion, go even further with the shading. Go darker and bolder for the body shading, I like the pink, roll with it, don't be afraid to use color. And for his clothes, cloth folds! Make them very nice and obvious. I love the background too btw, such pretty colors ;n; <3
semi-hiatus
will be on very infrequently
art commissions will take a bit long, sorry ;-;
azalea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Duh » Mon May 28, 2012 11:39 am

@Wibeke - aaaaah that is absolutely adorable ;A; I loooove the colors <3 But, as aza said, it needs more folds in the clothing.

Anyways I'm making a reference sheet for my 'sona and it'd be nice to have a little company.
Join.me? quq

Dinnertime so I'm done :U
Last edited by Duh on Mon May 28, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DoctorDraca » Mon May 28, 2012 11:55 am

Nex wrote: Important notice!!
With version 3 of the Artist Army coming up, I'm going to need some new moderators. The Army grows so fast it's hard to keep track of. Therefore, if you feel up for it, send me a PM explaining why you wish to be a mod. Now here's a warning, I'm going to be very blunt in these messages. If you won't make a good mod, I will tell you this. Only apply if you've actually read and uphold the rules.
Thank you.

Reposting this because it's important.
------------------- ◊ -------------------
toyhousedeviantarttracker dogs
DoctorDraca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby brian emo » Mon May 28, 2012 12:26 pm

wibeke wrote:

---

Medusa's Cascade wrote:I think bel said everything I can see, Bast. Nice job, though, it looks pretty good~
And I love the designs, bel. The second has a really cool coloring style. ouo

Just wanted to share a colored sketch commission I finished. C:

It's so pudgy and cute and adorable! <3
I really love your style, everything is so fluffy and huggable. I could try and offer a few crits if you're looking for them, but given how stylized it is there's not too much to say.

Thank you~ n_n
Crits would be great, if only to see how I can improve in the future. :3
Also, interesting color scheme in your drawing, it looks really cool. ouo I can't make it out too well, but the tail seems to be pretty thin.
brian emo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me