Doctor Who Fanclub!

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

Re: Doctor Who Fanclub!

Postby Schuyler » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:43 pm

*Bad Wolf* wrote:I've been really enjoying it. (: Luke is adorableMight have to convince my parents to let my eight-year-old brother watch it, cos he's not allowed to watch Doctor Who yet.

That's great to hear! I really love it, too. Oh, Luke ... <3 Binge-watched a season a day because I was enjoying it so much, heh. ^^ I've recently been re-watching everything because I bought the DVD set with my Christmas money. Hope your brother gets to enjoy it sometime, too!

I also finally got around to finishing Torchwood back in December after dropping it in the middle of Series 2 a year earlier! Happy to say that while I had mixed feelings about the show before, it's really grown on me and now I like it a lot. :) Well, except for Miracle Day ... >.<
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Art credits: Avatar
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
...............ImageImage
Schuyler
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:34 pm

Yeah, I'm getting close to the end of season one, but I've been limiting myself to two episodes a day. XD I just finished Warriors of Kudlak. it is really good, though. gah, now I have to decide if I want to watch Classic Doctor who or Sarah Jane Adventures. I'll see if I can do both. XD

Ah, Torchwood. Haven't seen that, and tbh not sure I want to... I've heard it's rather... explicate. My friend watched it and said she skipped whole scenes etc. Might watch it one day, but not for a few years yet. though Jack is amazing. But he is Jack. If you get what I mean. XD
"An eye for an eye
Hello! I'm Wren! I'm in my mid-teens and live
in New Zealand. I enjoy writing, reading, watching videos,
cosplaying, and drawing occasionally! I'm a Christian,
and always up to meeting new friends!

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| Stories| A03 | Wattpad |
| RWBY | Merlin | Doctor Who | HP |
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

and the world goes blind."
Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schuyler » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:21 pm

Yeah, Torchwood is definitely an adult show (I believe the UK rating is 15+? Not sure what it is/would be in the US, but I'd probably call it TV-14 or possibly MA). Thankfully they toned it down a bit after the first season, though, I think because they realized that Jack had a lot of younger Doctor Who fans wanting to watch his spin-off. I like it for the characters and action, so I kind of just look away and wait out the more ... mature scenes. xP It's also very different from Doctor Who -- more of a sci-fi/fantasy cop drama than an "adventure in time and space" -- which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if you watch it because you want to see something similar to DW, you might be disappointed.

If you're ever considering checking it out but aren't sure if it's something you want to watch, I'd personally recommend at least giving the five-episode third series, Children of Earth, a try sometime because it's a great story, in my opinion, and I don't believe it has any explicit scenes. It does have some violent/gory parts, a couple brief scenes with nudity, and some pretty dark themes, though (which is probably why I love it, lol. Dark stuff is the best. :D), so a heads-up. It features Peter Capaldi as a guest star and is a self-contained mini-series, so even if you watch it without first watching the two earlier seasons, you can probably follow along without that much trouble. c:

It does give you a significant spoiler about something that happened in a previous episode, but if you've seen the Doctor Who episode "The Stolen Earth", which takes place at some point between Torchwood Series 2 and CoE, you've already gotten the same spoiler, so it won't be anything new.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Schuyler
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:25 pm

Hmm, well, I might have to check it out. For now, I'm staying away from Torchwood.

Finished Sarah Jane Adventures, though. It was really sad when the series cut off, and even sadder when you know that it ended because of Elizabeth Sladen's death. Sky is adorable, though. And is it just me or did Luke get hot? XD

The Death of the Doctor would have to be my favourite episode, not just because of the Doctor, but because it gave us some in site into what happened to other companions Barbara and Ian got married. #OTP and of course dear Jo. One thing in particular stuck out to me from that story though - When the Doctor was talking to Jo and she asked him why he didn't come back and he said he couldn't find her and then; " So you've been watching me all this time?" "No. Because you're right, I don't look back. I can't. But the last time I was dying, I looked back on all of you. Every single one. And I was so proud." It almost made me cry. He didn't just look back at the NuWho companions - he looked back on everyone! And it just made me so emotional.

Anyway. Reached season sixteen. Am I the only one who doesn't like Romana I? She's just so stuck up. I'm hoping Romana II is nicer. XD

I have a question, maybe it'll help wake the thread up again.
Code: Select all
[b]Favourite Doctor/Companion relationship for all Doctors: [/b]

I'll answer it with the Doctors I have met, so that rules out 5,6,7,8, and 12.

#1 The obvious answer for the First Doctor would be Susan, but honestly, I liked the relationship between One and Ian better. I just loved their bickering and the like.

#2 Has to be Two and Jamie. not biased because I love Jamie. No way! *coughcough* They just have such an easy, comfortable relationship that I absolutely loved. Close second would be Victoria, mostly because of Tomb of the Cybermen. Y'know, she doesn't want to wake him because she thinks he old, and then he comforts her when she's missing her father.

#3 Jo and the Third Doctor had an amazing relationship. He was so upset when she left. That last scene of him driving away - alone - in Bessie. They had such an amazing relationship. (Also, and I the only who didn't think Three and Sarah Jane had very good chemistry? idk why but I didn't like those two together as much.)

#4 This one is hard. I absolutely love Four and Sarah Jane Still don't know what exactly their relationship is - not romantic exactly, but yeah.. I dunno. XD I mean, look at the Brain of Morbius when Sarah gets blinded. He was so sweet with her. The other relationship I love with Four was Leela. They got along really well, and that scene where she left, and he's alone in the TARDIS and he rests his head on the door and says "Goodbye, Savage" and it gave me feels. I also love his relationship with K9. Haven't met Romana II or Peri or any of Four's other companions (Peri is his companion - right?) so I dunno what their relationships are like.

And now we are moving into NuWho because I haven't met any of the remaining Classic Doctors yet.

#9 While I love Nine and Mickey's relationship (and Jackie, but she isn't an official companion) the answer has to be Rose. Mainly because she's really the only companion he had, but they're so great together. #OTP.

#10 Again a hard one. Tenrose is another of my OPTs, but the Doctor and Donna. Nuf said. That scene at the end of Journey's end where he has to leave Donna. *Desolves into a puddle of tears*

#11 Only really met Amy, so it'll have to be Amy. XD or River even though I haven't seen him met River yet. XD

Good greif, that was a long post. Sorry 'bout that.
"An eye for an eye

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby puppypillar » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:17 am

heyy does anyone know what's going on in the seasons 8-10? i don't have cable and they took doctor who off netflix so i haven't been able to watch it. you can pm me if you want since i want full spoilers. just the important stuff.

i found don't breathe and the into the dalek episode online and watched them, and i can't say i'm pleased with the twelfth doctor--he joked about someone right after they were murdered. that's not doctor behavior. people are saying it's because the writers are trying to bring back the first doctor, but he isn't that man anymore. he's evolved. (also, he's only two regenerations away from ten. remember when that hostess died in midnight and he just sat there feeling horrible? such a drastic change) i've also heard it's because he's hiding his care because it gets more people killed. after all those nine hundred years of time and space he should know that his caring only helps.
puppypillar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:07 pm

Sorry mate, can't help you - I'm only up to season five.

Just finished watching 'an adventure in space and time.' I cried. I actually cried. I highly recomdend you watch it if you haven't already - it's about the first three years of Doctor Who and all the troubles they faced, and William Hartnell's era. And it's spectacular.

One thing I find kinda sad about NuWho, is that Bill Hartnell did it for the kids, and now it's not really for young children anymore (though that might just be my family XD) mum and dad don't want my eight year old brother to watch it.. maybe I can convise them he should watch Classic... though there are the missing episodes.
"An eye for an eye

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sataraxias » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:51 am

@*Bad Wolf*
    I personally think many the new episodes are better suited for children than a lot of the old ones. Some of the old classic episodes were terrifying, I remember that Seven had a few especially creepy ones - an example which springs immediately to mind is 'The Greatest Show in the Galaxy" which I always personally found freaky. NuWho has some terrifying episodes (Empty Child, Water of Mars, Night Terrors) but is never really gory and the morals that NuWho portrays are really great.

Favourite Doctor/Companion relationship for all Doctors:
    One: Definitely Susan.
    Two and Three: Haven't really watched.
    Four: I absolutely loved Leela. Romana would probably be a close second though.
    Six: I'm kinda meh on Six's companions. Peri always came off as a bit whiny, and Mel was just no thanks.
    Seven: Without a question, Ace. She was strong, she was independent, she hit a dalek with a bat. Probably my favorite companion ever.
    Nine: I loved Rose's and Nine's chemistry together.
    Ten: I liked Rose and Martha. Never really liked Donna - just couldn't connect with her character.
    Eleven: Amy was amazing, but I liked Clara better with Eleven. I despised Rory - he was just too bland and boring for my tastes.
    Twelve: Missy and Twelve's interactions were adorable. I didn't really like Clara with Capaldi's Doctor. Can't wait for Billie.
sataraxias

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lilac sky » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:21 am

Hi! My name is Tears_On_My_Soul. I want to join!

My favorite doctor is: Beautiful 11 *Fangirl shriek*
My favorite companion is: Martha Jones or Amy Pond, I can't choose!!
My favorite episode is: Vincent and The Doctor for the win
I have watched up to: I've watched most of the episodes with David Tennant, all of Matt Smith's, and also all of Peter Capaldi's
And finally, I am from the USA.
I have read the rules and promise to follow them.

Code: Nibblybibbles.
lilac sky

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schuyler » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:08 pm

Welcome, solitary tear! Feel free to jump in anytime with any comments or questions you have, or any topics you'd like to discuss. :)

-----------------------------------

One thing I find kinda sad about NuWho, is that Bill Hartnell did it for the kids, and now it's not really for young children anymore (though that might just be my family XD) mum and dad don't want my eight year old brother to watch it.. maybe I can convise them he should watch Classic... though there are the missing episodes.

I think that it's not so much that the new series is for more mature audiences than the classic series, but that it just seems that way because it's Doctor Who adjusted for 21st century standards. Classic Who nowadays seems very tame, but during its time, it was always pushing the limits of what was considered appropriate for a "children's show" (though really, it always was and still is a family show rather than something specifically for young kids, even in the earliest days) and was constantly being criticized by parents and other adults for being too violent/scary/etc. for kids to watch. I know I've talked to a number of older fans who didn't get into Doctor Who until they were teens or adults because either their parents were like yours and wouldn't let them watch it as a kid, or they did get to see it and found it too scary. Our ideas of what's appropriate for kids to watch have evolved a lot since the '60s and so the standards of what can be done in Doctor Who have evolved with them. ^^

One little detail I find interesting is that that they're much more conservative with showing blood and gore with the new series than they were in Classic Who. I'd have expected it to be the other way around, but there are a number of scenes in Classic Who with quite a bit of blood, whereas in New Who it's rare to see any blood at all.

Do your parents watch Doctor Who themselves, or have they just heard about it / seen only bits and pieces? If they aren't actually familiar with the show, maybe you could convince them to watch one episode themselves first, then if they think it's okay, they might agree to watch that episode together with you and your brother to see how he reacts to it and then decide from there what they think about letting him watch more? That's how I finally persuaded my mom to let me watch some cartoons she wasn't sure about me watching when I was a little.

-----------------------------------

1st: Definitely Ian. He's always so independent and fun to watch, and I love how he's able to take charge and be the hero when he's given the chance.

2nd: Jamie! He kinda gets a free pass with me because I'm automatically obsessed with anything and anyone that has to do with the 18th century, lol, but I also think he's one of the best companions the show has had. I love watching his interactions with Two: you can really tell that both actors were having a ton of fun with their roles!

3rd: Jo, of course. She's my favorite companion and I've already raved about her enough in this thread, so to keep it short: she's loyal, sweet, capable, and has such fantastic chemistry with Three. Probably my favorite Doctor/companion relationship of all!

4th: Leela, with K-9 close behind. She's independent and very well-acted with spirit and a great personality, and I think she was a great match for Tom's Doctor. And K-9 is ... Well, he's K-9. ^^

5th: Eh, none of them really stand out to me one way or the other, either in terms of their character alone or their relationship with the Doctor. If I had to choose one, I might say Tegan or maybe Turlough -- Doctor/companion relationship-wise, probably Tegan.

6th: Mel, but only because after two seasons of enduring Peri, anyone was going to look like the best companion ever. I cannot stand that whiny little Peri. xP

7th: Ace for sure. Again, there's that rare independence that I love, and I think her character clicks really well with the Doctor's. She's also one of the few instances, at least in Classic Who, of a companion with some actual depth and development behind their character!

8th: Not many choices, since I haven't read/listened to any of his non-televised stories, lol. Have to go with Grace by default; she's okay, I guess.

9th: Jaaack! <3

10th: Would probably also be Jack, but if we're avoiding repeats, then Donna!

11th: Clara. Don't like any of his companions very much, though, to be honest.

12th: Also don't have many to choose from for Twelve, so guess I'd have to say Clara again. I kind of like the Doctor's relationship with Nardole, too, but I haven't seen enough of those two to make a proper judgement yet.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Schuyler
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rabbitheart » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:28 pm

@*Bad Wolf* ~ Thank you very much (on both the compliment on my haul on New Years and about my fursona)! ♥ Also, I love the birthday gift you made for your friend!
Also, you are so not alone in the crying when it came to An Adventure In Space and Time. I watched that and I cried too! My best friend honestly looked at me and gave me her "are you okay?" look and I had to explain why I got all emotional. XD
I actually really want to but An Adventure in Space and Time on iTunes, but I only have $5.12 left in my account and it's $6.99. XD

I wish you the best of luck in trying to convince your family to let your little brother watch Doctor Who. If you happened to have the Disney XD channel (and it was still playing Doctor Who), you'd probably have had a better chance of convincing them because Disney gt the temporary rights to certain seasons with the 10th Doctor, but had minorly censored some things from the episodes. I only managed to catch a few episodes when they were airing them, but the ones that I did see (The Satan Pit and The Impossible Planet) were very minorly censored. Mostly they were instances of the word hell or something like that. XD

I semi-recently got a Doctor Who coloring book, which was gifted to me by a friend of my brother's:
I haven't colored in it much. ^^; I really don't want to ruin it with my horrible traditional coloring. XD

1st ~ I actually don't really know, mostly because I haven't seen very many episodes from his run yet.

2nd ~ Jaimie! Definitely Jaimie! ♥

3rd ~ I think Jo Grant or maybe the Brigadier. XD

4th ~ Hmmm...Sarah Jane and also Romana II

5th ~ I actually haven't seen much of his run yet to really have much of a say. ^^;

6th ~ Also haven't seen much of anything of his run yet (I think the only thing I saw was The Two Doctors

7th ~ Ace! No doubt about it!

8th ~ Haven't seen the movie yet or listened to any of the audio dramas/books, so I can't say, but I'm going to go with Grace.

9th ~ Rose. XD

10th ~ I'm actually going to go with Donna because I loved the comedy that came from their friendship. XD

11th ~ This is like...a huge tie. XD I loved him and River and I also love him and Clara.

12th ~ Clara.

circuit. wrote:
    heyy does anyone know what's going on in the seasons 8-10? i don't have cable and they took doctor who off netflix so i haven't been able to watch it. you can pm me if you want since i want full spoilers. just the important stuff.

i found don't breathe and the into the dalek episode online and watched them, and i can't say i'm pleased with the twelfth doctor--he joked about someone right after they were murdered. that's not doctor behavior. people are saying it's because the writers are trying to bring back the first doctor, but he isn't that man anymore. he's evolved. (also, he's only two regenerations away from ten. remember when that hostess died in midnight and he just sat there feeling horrible? such a drastic change) i've also heard it's because he's hiding his care because it gets more people killed. after all those nine hundred years of time and space he should know that his caring only helps.

Okay, I've actually watched seasons 8-9 (10 hasn't happened yet, well...hasn't aired yet). I'll be honest, season 8 was a bit of a hard watch. There weren't very many episodes that I actually liked from that season. The only episodes I bought from iTunes of that season were Deep Breath, Robot of Sherwood, Time Heist, Flatline, Dark Water, and Death in Heaven. I'd argue that he gets better by the end of season, but I honestly don't think I came to really like him until Season 9. XD

Moving right along!
For my Communications class for college, we get to choose our own subject matters to fit what type of speech we have to do. The upcoming speech my class is doing is an informative speech. So we get to talk for 7-10 minutes about whatever we want to inform the class about.
I chose Doctor Who. XD
I've been having too much fun because I get to check out all sorts of Doctor Who stuff to help me with my speech and get to call it research.
#BestProjectEver!!!
My only problem is that I have to somehow boil down 53 (going on 54) years of Doctor Who in 7-10 minutes. XD It'll be a challenge, but one that I'm excited to tackle! :3
Rabbitheart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me