Doctor Who Fanclub!

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

Re: Doctor Who Fanclub!

Postby Rabbitheart » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:02 am

Welcome StarPenguin! :3

What Doctor Who stuff did you get for the holidays?
Well, unfortunately, I sent my wishlist in a bit late, so I didn't get anything Doctor Who related for Christmas. However, earlier in the month, my mom found a book at the public library we were at for their annual Jane Austen Tea Party. Anyway, the book is Doctor Who The Missing Adventures: The Scales of Injustice by Gary Russell:
[sorry for the bad quality pic, I had to change the picture because the other one apparently got removed or something?]
Bought it for 50 cents. :thumbup:

After Chirstmas, my parents let me go to the movie theater to go see Doctor Who: The Return of Doctor Mysterio. ♥ I'd already seen it on TV and had bought the season pass for it on iTunes with the $75 worth of iTunes gift cards my parents got me for Christmas, but it was fantastic to get to see it on the big screen, plus there was extra stuff before and after the episode which hadn't been shown on TV and hadn't been released to iTunes yet. ♥

I also got invited to a New Year's Party and the hosts were a couple who are Whovians [among many other things]. They had silver mason jars left over from their wedding that they were looking to get rid of. I got 3 mason jars, 2 that say Police Box on them and one that says Wibbly Wobbly. XD
We were playing a game at the time and I was just clutching them to my chest and practically hyperventilating. XD One of our friends was like: "You can put the jars down, no one is going to take them from you and smash them."

Then I ended up getting 2 more Tardis Necklaces, of varying length and appearance, added on top of the TARDIS necklace I'd bought last year at a county fair, so I ended up wearing tiered layers of TARDIS necklaces. lol
Then they gave me their extra copy of Who-ology: Doctor Who: The Official Miscellany by Cavan Scott & Mark Wright
and on top of that, they gave me a Doctor Who bookmarker that had Van Gogh's painting of the TARDIS exploding on it. XD
So...yeah...I got spoiled by my brother's friends...who I guess are my friends now. lol.
Last edited by Rabbitheart on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rabbitheart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:57 am

OOoo, nice haul, Rabbitheart! Also I love the.. rabbit? in your signature. It is very cute. :D

So I've been binging Classic Doctor Who, and I have now met Sarah-Jane. And I have had to say goodbye to Jo :(. I really loved the Doctor and Jo's relationship. Does anyone else notice how many companions leave because of guys they just met? I mean, Susan, Vicki, now Jo. smh Jo and Cliff knew each other for like three days before they agreed to get married! Anyway. I'm hoping to Cosplay as Jo from Armageddon in June, which will be fun! My friend is willing to cosplay as the Doctor, but she hasn't seen any of the Thrid Doctor. XD We have another friend who has downloaded all of the classic episodes. Don't ask me where he got them from.

I hope I haven't seen the last of Mike Yates, because he is awesome and the last episode I saw him in was really not good for him.. (Invasion of the Dinosaurs)

And I am hoping I'll get to the end of season 11 before the term starts next week. But that means saying goodbye to the Third Doctor... It took me a while to accept him, but now I love him so much and I don't want him to go, even though I know everyone loves Tom Baker.
Last edited by Woogwoo Wren on Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"An eye for an eye
Hello! I'm Wren! I'm in my mid-teens and live
in New Zealand. I enjoy writing, reading, watching videos,
cosplaying, and drawing occasionally! I'm a Christian,
and always up to meeting new friends!

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| Stories| A03 | Wattpad |
| RWBY | Merlin | Doctor Who | HP |
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

and the world goes blind."
Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shadow~wolf » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi! My name is Shadow~Wolf . I want to join!

My favorite doctor is: eleven
My favorite companion is: hmm does river count? if not then sarah jane smith
My favorite episode is: vincent and the doctor
I have watched up to: season 9, the last episode
I have read the rules and promise to follow them.

Code: Nibblybibbles.

𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰
𝑠𝘩𝑒/𝘩𝑒𝑟
═════
█████
─────

═════

───────────────────
hi! my name is shadow &
i am a dog enthusiast &
writer! artist, roleplayer.
pms open!!
═══════════
TH ✧ art ✧ link here ✧ ©
───────────────────

shadow~wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Welcome, Shadow Wolf. :D

So it was my friend's birthday on Saturday and I made this for her.

I'm pretty happy with it, though I could have done better. I was literally rushing out the door as I finished... But I did it, and she likes it!
"An eye for an eye

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sataraxias » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:50 pm

Hi! My name is florimania. I want to join!

My favorite doctor is: , Four, Seven or Twelve
    My favorite companion is: Ace or Leela
    My favorite episode is: Remembrance of the Daleks (tbh basically any episodes with the daleks)
    I have watched up to: I have watched all of modern who from 9-12, and some of the classics. Haven't been able to
    get any audiobooks unfortunately :c
    And finally, I am from Australia.
    I have read the rules and promise to follow them.

Code: Nibblybibbles.
sataraxias

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schuyler » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:09 am

*Spoiler warning for the Series 10*

I wish I hadn't seen this announcement because I really want to avoid spoilers of any kind (maybe not the most realistic goal unless I want to avoid the internet altogether, lol, but I still try my best), but it's been shared on practically every DW site/group that I visit and now I can't wait for the finale! :O I'm not generally that big on the Cyberman, but I honestly love the Mondasians with their freaky electronic voices (oh, I hope they keep the voices!) and creepy cloth costumes. Please, please don't mess this one up, Moffat: let Capaldi finish his last season with a finale to be proud of!
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Art credits: Avatar
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
...............ImageImage
Schuyler
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PrincessOogieBoogie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:13 am

Hello, whovians! I would like to join your fandom but I don't know what season to start on since they all have different doctors and such. Which one?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
xxGreetings fellow citizens of the Internet,
xxI'm Princess. I'm just your average nerd
xxwho's obsessions Include Roleplay,
x Tim Burton, Disney, and good old Oogie Boogie.
xxPm me for absolutely Anything!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

╔═════════════════════════════╗
You can't have Orderxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxwithout Chaos.x xxxxxxxx
╚═════════════════════════════╝
xxxxxRp CharactersWriting
╔═════════════════════════════╗
The only way to survive in the world
is to embrace the Insanity of it.xxx x
╚═════════════════════════════╝
PrincessOogieBoogie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:33 am

Well, the usual starting point would be series one of NuWho, which starts with the Ninth Doctor. trust me, people will get mad if you skip Nine. XD Starting there is where a lot of people here would have started, I would think, and it's where I started.
The Classic stuff is totally worth watching as well, but that is fifty years old and can be hard to find (not to mention a lot of the episodes for the First and Second Doctor have been lost).

Speaking of Classic stuff, anyone know where I can find The Android Invasion online? I did find it on Dailymotion, but it's in mirror image...

Also, I gave in and started watching Sarah Jane Adventures. I probably should have waited until Sarah left in Classic, but I was sick of waiting. XD
"An eye for an eye

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

Woogwoo Wren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schuyler » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:40 pm

PrincessOogieBoogie wrote:Hello, whovians! I would like to join your fandom but I don't know what season to start on since they all have different doctors and such. Which one?

Hi there! c:
I warn you in advance that I always talk too much when it comes to Doctor Who and other interests, so this will likely be a long post; the first 5 paragraphs are answering your question in detail (feel free to just read the first sentence of each if you want and you should get the general idea, lol), and the rest is explaining a bit about Doctor Who in general. If you have any further questions, you're more than welcome to ask, of course!

If you want to follow the show in chronological order and not skip around, then you'll want to either start with the 9th Doctor like Bad Wolf said (that would be the episode "Rose") or at the very beginning with the 1st Doctor (the episode "An Unearthly Child"). I wouldn't personally recommend starting with the classic series, though, unless you're already familiar and comfortable with watching old TV shows/movies, because it's very slow-paced compared to modern shows and so can be a bit off-putting at first if you're not used to that. (Also a lot of the old sets, costumes, and effects look hilariously fake, so you'll have to get used to using your imagination a bit more than with all the CGI stuff we get nowadays. ^^)

However, even though Doctor Who follows one continuous story from "An Unearthly Child" to now, for pretty much the whole of Classic Who and, to a certain extent, the first four seasons of New Who, it does not have very much in terms of multi-story arcs, meaning that most stories are more or less self-contained without relying much on the viewer knowing everything that has happened in previous episodes. In other words, as long as you know the basic premise of the show (which I'll explain below in case you don't), you can generally watch the stories completely out-of-order without much confusion.

So, if you don't mind skipping around and/or just want to get a taste of the show first before deciding if you want to seriously watch it, you might like to start by sampling a couple stories for each Doctor and seeing what you think. (If you want to do that, I and I'm sure the rest of us would be happy to recommend some good ones for you to try. ^^) Then if you decide you like the show, you can either pick a Doctor you really like and continue to watch the rest of their stories, or go to the beginning of the show and watch everything in order.

You could also do what I actually did, which is that if you already know and like one of the actors who have played the Doctor, you might enjoy watching all of their episodes to begin. I put off watching Doctor Who for a while because I was intimidated by how many seasons there were and I had no idea where to start, but I already knew David Tennant from his role in Harry Potter, so when I learned that he was the 10th Doctor, I decided to watch Season 2 first where his episodes begin and was hooked almost immediately. Bad Wolf doesn't know what they're talking about: nobody ever got mad at me for not watching Nine first! Or if they did, at least they all kept it to themselves. ;P

Honestly, even though I jumped in with no idea about what was going on and had to figure things out as I went along, I'm happy I started with the second season because I'm not crazy about the first five episodes of the first season and I'm not sure what I would have thought of DW if I had started there. The first couple episodes aren't bad per se, but the sixth episode, "Dalek", is the first one I really liked from the season, and I also liked the rest after that, with the exception of "The Long Game". So basically what I'm saying is that you might completely disagree with me and love those first episodes, but if you start with the 9th Doctor and don't like the show much at first, I'd encourage you to at least get through the rest of the season before deciding if you want to keep watching. :)

Some background information about Doctor Who if you're interested:

Doctor Who first began in 1963 with the original/classic series, also called "Classic Who", which ran from 1963 to 1989 with 26 seasons and features the first seven Doctors. In the classic series, episodes are ~23 minutes long (except for Season 22, which had 45-minute episodes), and most stories have 2-6 episodes/parts. There are also six stories that have 7 parts, one with 8 ("The Invasion"), one with 10 ("The War Games"), and one with 12 ("The Daleks' Master Plan" -- unfortunately nine parts of which are currently missing.)

Then DW was taken off the air for 16 years (except for a TV movie released in 1996, which is the 8th Doctor's only full-length TV story) until 2005, when the show was revived with the beginning of the new series ("New Who" or "NuWho"). The new series started with the 9th Doctor and is currently featuring the 12th. It has had nine seasons so far and is still running but on hiatus with Season 10 scheduled to air this April. Most New Who episodes are ~44 minutes long, and stories have either one or two episodes, with two stories being 3-parters.

The show is about an alien Time Lord known as "The Doctor", who explores the universe in his TARDIS, which is a time-traveling spaceship that is bigger on the inside than the outside and (on the outside) has the appearance of a British police box. When he is fatally wounded/ill and dying, the Doctor has the ability to regenerate and take on a new appearance and personality, which is why there have been several different incarnations of the Doctor throughout the show's history. He almost always travels with one or more companions, who are most often humans from modern-day Earth but also sometimes come from another planet or time period. The typical story involves them visiting a planet/location and either getting stranded and having to find a way to escape, or voluntarily staying and trying to help the locals in some way.

*Bad Wolf* wrote:Speaking of Classic stuff, anyone know where I can find The Android Invasion online? I did find it on Dailymotion, but it's in mirror image...

Also, I gave in and started watching Sarah Jane Adventures. I probably should have waited until Sarah left in Classic, but I was sick of waiting. XD

Try here

Cool! What do you think of it so far? :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Art credits: Avatar
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
...............ImageImage
Schuyler
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Woogwoo Wren » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:54 pm

Schuyler wrote:~snip~

*Bad Wolf* wrote:Speaking of Classic stuff, anyone know where I can find The Android Invasion online? I did find it on Dailymotion, but it's in mirror image...

Try here

Cool! What do you think of it so far? :)

Ah! Thank you! I've been struggling to find some of the episodes. :D Don't have time to watch a full episode at the moment, so I'll watch it later. yass, a UNIT episode. :D

I've been really enjoying it. (: Luke is adorableMight have to convince my parents to let my eight-year-old brother watch it, cos he's not allowed to watch Doctor Who yet.
"An eye for an eye

~ P ~ M ~ A ~
| 🐦| 🐺 | 🔬 | 🦊 |
|

Woogwoo Wren