Ball Jointed Doll Club

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

Re: Ball Jointed Doll Club

Postby Y u r i k o » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:09 am

Omg thank you so much. This advice will DEFINITELY be helpful.
╔═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂ ❤ ▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

O s o m a t s u - S a n

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂ ❤ ▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
Y u r i k o

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby metonymy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:26 am

i'm glad that will help!!

parents are sometimes difficult to deal with, and this hobby is one that can also seem strange at first. but it has a lot of practical benefits behind it most people don't know about first-off. :)
All gifs are from Bjork music videos, and rotate
oekaki - ff.n - 8tracks - ☧ - intj - she/her pronouns please
-
I suffer from depression, generalized anxiety disorder, and chronic pain.
If you need to come talk and get some peer support, my inbox is always open.
metonymy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby peachyykat » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:27 am

luckily enough for me, my parents let me do what i want- they see it as a good thing that i'm saving my money for something i REALLY want. my mom is a photographer too, and she's always willing to help me shoot c:

since the thing perhaps is to eat flowers and not to be afraid - e.e. cummings

peachyykat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby forestfolke » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:07 pm

ahh this thread
I've been watching bjd videos for a while now and they're just fascinating
I wish I could get my hands on a beautiful custom like the ones I see haha
Maybe someday I'll make my own because I love to draw and a own a big handful of bjds already but they're just average factory paints

Marking this just to watch
Follow me on Deviantart or Tumblr or YouTube to see my art!

I am not active on CS anymore except on the rare occasion.
If you'd like to talk to me please do so on one of the sites linked above. Thanks!
forestfolke

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yikes » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:25 am

hey guys! not sure how active this thread is, as it was started in 201o

but I'm planning on doing a faceup on a monster high doll!

I was also wondering if there are any alternatives for sealant other than mr super clear? c:

xImage i <3 the computer
xImage artist + creature owner
xImage my website

yikes

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby metonymy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:43 am

listen i am always down to gush at people tbqh. i am pretty sure everyone in this thread is tired of me but i do tend to come running screaming DID SOMEBODY SAY BJDS?!?!?!?!?!?! at the slightest provocation

honestly i haven't heard many things that are good alternatives. the real beauty of mr super clear that you're going to want to bank on is the difference in texture between resin and the plastic of monster high dolls. (there are some bjds made with similar plastic - hujoo's abs plastic line - if you want to look up on how to do faceups on them, too. they're also a much more affordable option on how to get into the hobby; I have a little mouse from them that was bout 40 dollars. still expensive but better than 130 lol). the only other thing i've heard people use is a gloss medium - modpodge seems to be pretty good for that - but that's for just little details you want glossy, like lips and the waterline of eyes. it's also painted on, not sprayed on, and trust me when i say trying to paint on something to seal in the entire face is REALLY FRUSTRATING because it pulls the pigment all around and destroys your work. the msc is an investment but a can will last you a good long while and it's worth it.

what you'll probably want to do is 1. wipe off the factory paint, 2. rinse, 3. then do a layer of mr super clear. this will give the pastels you want to work on something to grip onto. mr super clear is good for both sealing and for giving a working surface on both resin and the plastic, though the plastic is much more slippery than resin, so you really do want the msc there.

every time you do something you like, then think about doing another layer of msc. think of it like layers in photoshop or the oekaki. if you really like the eyebrows, go 'okay, i like these. i'll seal them in', and that way if you do something on top that you don't like, you can wipe that away and not totally obliterate the eyebrows you just did that you really like.

besides soft pastels, the other thing you'll probably want to get for doing faceups is watercolor pencils. it'll be super tempting but don't dare pick up a sharpie, the ink will soak in and both look really awful with feathering/blurring and then be something you absolutely can't get out again because it's soaked into the plastic/vinyl.

you'll see people using airbrushes, too, in videos, etc - but it's not something you need to run out and go get. you can totally do the same effect very patiently building up pigment with just a brush and some soft pastels. just shave off the pastel, or grind it on some sandpaper to make the pigment into a powder, then apply it with the brush.

this is all very basic stuff i know but it's pretty much all the advice i have, so better to give it and have anything possibly be useful to you than not :)

i've not watched much of her stuff myself but it's been highly recommended to me multiple times, i think on this very thread in fact, but take a look at https://www.youtube.com/user/NicollesDreams if you haven't already. she does both bjds and a lot of monster high repaints so she'll have better advice than me lol!
-
metonymy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vejitadmc » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:48 pm

yikes wrote:
    hey guys! not sure how active this thread is, as it was started in 201o

but I'm planning on doing a faceup on a monster high doll!

I was also wondering if there are any alternatives for sealant other than mr super clear? c:

Oh, a repaint? Do show us the end result!

Also, as an alternative, you could look for Citadel's Purity Seal. I have a friend who does about 3 faceups a week and she loves it. It might be kind of hard to get your hands on though. They have matt and shine sprays and I would suggest matt is the best option, though she has also told me that the difference isn't all that much. This is all experience gained from working with resin though, so just to be sure you should see if you can find some feedback for use on vinyl. I don't think it will make a difference, but still.

I do also strongly suggest MSC from my own experience with doing faceups on Obitsu, which are vinyl, like the Monster High dolls are (Or better said, their heads are). As long as you make sure that the air around you is dry and well ventilated, it works like a charm.

Edit: I just read the modpodge tip and I have friends that use it mostly for securing tattoo's. I personally don't like it very much because the structure of the modpodge remains kind of rubbery even after drying, but if you don't mind that it could be a good alternative for finishing little details. If you have regular gloss, then I suggest using that for the lips etc, because of the lovely shine it will give. It's also 'wetter' than modpodge and will most likely give a smoother finish.

Either way, if you make sure your base layer of sealant is applied right, then you can always just try whatever you think feels right. Worst case scenario you have to try over, but practice makes perfect <3
QUITTING CS!
I am giving away the majority of my collection, see the topic here! https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4695684&start=300
vejitadmc

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby peachyykat » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:46 am

i have FINALLY saved enough that i'm so close to getting my first bjd- im thinking probably a minifee celine! can anyone recommend any cheaper wigs/clothes for minifee dolls? i found guppykisses and monstrodesigns on etsy, but i have yet to find any wigs that are more affordable but decent quality :/ i have an $85 wig that i adore (will edit with a link) but since i can't have a job yet, it takes me a LONG time to save money and i'd really appreciate finding decent quality wigs that are also affordable c:

peachyykat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby metonymy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:03 am

oh man, a lot of the wigs on etsy are EXPENSIVE. mostly because they're made of like organic angora wool, handcrafted with thread spun from angel tears and the laughter of babies. some are totally worth it mind you, but it's definitely the higher tier thing lol.

personally my favourite wigs come from a manufacturer called Monique Gold (http://www.monique.com/MoniqueGoldCollection.html is their online catalog, but you need to order through a distributor - I've ordered from http://www.facetsbymarcia.com/wigshop.htm just fine before). they use finer fibers so it seems more in-scale even though they can be a little fussier. this is for the more natural styles and colors, though.

for my newest doll i'm actually going to be ordering a bunch of stuff from taobao, direct from china. if you want more details about how to do that, it's a good way to directly import stuff from china for cheap. you have to work through a shipping agency - taobao sellers don't sell direct to the united states, so you have to work with somebody in china who can collect all your purchases together for you and then ship them to you. i really like taobaospree for this, i've ordered through them before, and they're a well-respected company.

a minifee is slightly different from other msds in size - a little smaller - so exercise a little caution while shopping i'd say, but they are lovely sculpts aren't they? :) a little too expensive for my blood but a fine feather in your cap for your first bjd! when she comes share pics, i'd love to see her!!

(i also need to take pics of my new faerie doll... uh... hm.... that will happen.... Soon(tm) ....)
-
metonymy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby peachyykat » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:53 am

lol thank you! i was wondering, a lot of the wigs on etsy were $100+. i really appreciate the advice!

peachyykat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me