Ball Jointed Doll Club

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

Re: Ball Jointed Doll Club

Postby metonymy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:07 am

yes bumping with more info SORRY EVERYONE... SORRY

it turns out that they are doing 3d printed bjds of the faeries too! they are half the size of the 1/4 ones - so 1/8 scale, about 20 cm tall. it looks like they could easily wear barbie clothes and you could easily use barbie sewing patterns to approximate stuff for them too!

here's a video showing how well they pose, etc -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSnCGpq ... e=youtu.be

as 3d printed ones they're only really going to come in white, since they're not resin cast. however, they're going to be like 80 dollars!!! which is an AMAZINGLY REASONABLE price for such a beautiful doll! so if you guys are interested let me know, i may even be able to broker y'all into the special convention rate :) for i believe 30-40 dollars more the creator, Silverbeams, is also doing a full set with full faceup, handmade eyes, fur wig, and body blushing - you can actually suggest a general theme to her and get it done to your theme, too.

anyway, i may totally get a little dark faerie since i have a big light faerie on order, and i love both sculpts so much. this just turned up on facebook and i'm super excited so please forgive the double post lol :')
All gifs are from Bjork music videos, and rotate
oekaki - ff.n - 8tracks - ☧ - intj - she/her pronouns please
-
I suffer from depression, generalized anxiety disorder, and chronic pain.
If you need to come talk and get some peer support, my inbox is always open.
metonymy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby peachyykat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:27 am

so cute!!!! wish i wasn't still saving up for celine- would totally get the faceup set. since i'm terrible at doing it myself

since the thing perhaps is to eat flowers and not to be afraid - e.e. cummings

peachyykat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby metonymy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:54 am

i know what you mean! it's so tempting to splurge... lol

the convention these dolls are for has actually gotten cancelled last minute. ;_; i'm pretty bummed... it's my one big social event of the year tbqh.... but at least the dolls are still coming. i'm seriously considering one of the little bitty faeries so i can have both sculpts in a way.

until then my parents have said that instead of paying for me to go to the con, they'd pay for a taobao shopping order, so i'm looking around there for stuff. I've been looking at wigs at this shop and since they're direct from china they're like $6 instead of $60, so still a deal even taking into account shipping and the fee to the shopping service :>

^this is the kind of wig I'm probably going to go for, the mixed color fades. i figure if they're so cheap, why not order a couple and see which i like best on the doll really ^0^
-
metonymy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby peachyykat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:06 am

bummer about the convention being cancelled! :c but yay for someone else buying you stuff... lol

those wigs are super cheap! it really is a great deal for such a pretty wig c:

since the thing perhaps is to eat flowers and not to be afraid - e.e. cummings

peachyykat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Y u r i k o » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:42 am

So I think I finally figured out which doll I want to purchase as my first BJD!
It's Feather's Design A from Island Doll!
I absolutely love everything about her and I personally think she's absolutely gorgeous. Since I'm new to this, what do you guys think? Is this a good doll? Good price? Good company/dealer/whatever?
She's currently $188...
I'm also trying to think of what I would name her. I don't particularly want her to be named Feather... Her personality would be similar to ThatPoppy, a YouTuber/music artist. She's very soft, quiet, and extremely bizzare and surreal. Any name ideas??
ThatPoppy example: http://youtu.be/C8PyAGej0B4
http://www.islanddoll.com/goods.php?id=502

╔═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂ ❤ ▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

O s o m a t s u - S a n

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
Y u r i k o

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby metonymy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:56 am

I've heard good things from Islanddoll. Is she 1/6 (YOSD) or 1/4 (MSD) size? i realize that's kind of a dumb question i just can't quite make it out from photos lol.

if you want a bit more 'purchase protection', i believe mintoncard sells islanddoll too, and moc is a very reputable company. :) but i haven't heard anything bad about islanddoll at all.

the price is about par for the course for a YOSD of this quality. if it's MSD size, the price is an amazing steal. unfortunately these things are kind of expensive, bless them. :') so worth it though, since many of these small companies are really just a few artists that deserve support.

she's very beautiful though! are you going to get the full set shown with that dress and cloak? it's very beautiful. i think actually that Poppy might be a great name for her if it's not too on the nose for the reference. perhaps try out some flower names besides that too. Amaryllis? Marigold?
-
metonymy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Y u r i k o » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:45 am

She's a 1/6!

The website I found her on appears to be Island Doll's official site, so I'm thinking it would be okay to purchase it from there. I noticed her while I was browsing and I saw the price and I thought to myself "SHE'S SO BEAUTIFUL AND NOT AS EXPENSIVE AS THE OTHERS I NEED HER"

I'm definitely going to get the full set. The cloak is too gorgeous to pass up. I was thinking of naming her Poppy, too. She looks a lot like a Poppy to me.
╔═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

O s o m a t s u - S a n

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
Y u r i k o

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby metonymy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:29 am

i think she would be a very fine Poppy! as flowers go that is an especially dreamy, intoxicating one, and perhaps a little ghostly and spooky, given how we remember soldiers through poppies. i think the poppy, and reference to its medicinal uses, would be suitably dreamy and surreal too.

i definitely think islanddoll's official website should be fine. :) i only mentioned mintoncard if you get a bit squeamish. but i haven't heard anything bad about islanddoll at all, so you should be great.

for affordable bjds, i also cannot recommend resinsoul/bobobie enough as well. their prices are amazing and they have fantastic fantasy sculpts (and awesome color range of resins, which many places don't have!). my first doll was from there. if you want another option for a beginner doll, or just really want, oh idk, a purple elf lady, or a green dragon boy, bobobie/resinsoul's got your back hehe :D
-
metonymy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Y u r i k o » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:06 pm

So, I'm all set to buy the doll. I have the money and everything.
There's just one little problem...

My parents think it's a waste of money and don't want me to order her...!
What do I do?!
She's absolutely gorgeous and I've been wanting a BJD for several years now, but I wasn't sure which one I wanted. Now that I finally know which one I want, my parents are against me getting her. I tried to explain that she's well priced for most of them, but they still won't let me. My dad says she'll be "a waste of money and worth nothing." How can I convince them to let me purchase her??
I don't think she'd be a waste of money and she'd be worth a lot to me. I worked hard to earn the money for one and I've fallen in love with her. I would be so proud to own her. How do I prove this to my parents?

I'm old enough to order my own things online without asking my parents, but I'm afraid they'll be upset with me if I order her..

Please help! Thank you! ;-;

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

O s o m a t s u - S a n

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Y u r i k o

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby metonymy » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:25 pm

oh man, that's always rough.

explain to your parents that these dolls aren't 'just for playing', or even just for display, but valuable collector's items and also valuable art pieces. and they really are beautiful works of sculpture.

the way i explained mine to my parents (the first one, anyway - they fell in love with them afterwards :lol: ) is that i was also looking to improve my photography, and this is something i am motivated to photograph. gotta have a subject to photograph if you're working to improve your photographs, right?

also mention that it's a social hobby, and a social avenue, as well as an artistic one. you not only get a photography subject, but you get to join a vast community of people to share tips with and talk to and meet up with. and mention that it's a creative hobby in more than one respect: a lot of people learn how to sew and make props, and if you learn how to do it in 1/6 scale, you can do it in 1 to 1 lifesize scale too. :)

all else fails, gently explain to your parents thus: "i know you may not see why this is important to me, and why i like this so much, but this is my own money i'm spending, remember? even if you think it is a mistake, sometimes people need to make mistakes on their own so they can grow. i really am interested in this, though, and would like your okay to buy this thing i really want, because i don't want to upset you in any way. i know you see it as a waste of money, and i don't want to anger you so that you ever throw her away or anything. worst case scenario, i've researched and i can probably resell her for about the same investment if i ever get bored of my new doll. please understand that even if it IS a mistake, this might be something i need to do on my own to learn about myself and grow. i am not going to pressure you to give me even more money - i am happy saving up for more stuff. i've patiently saved up for this for quite awhile, because it is important to me, and a thing i really like and have looked forward to owning for awhile. and i would love your understanding and support in this, because i love you both and this is important to me."

parents generally cave if you remind them that you love them, and that they are important to you, and that's why you're seeking their help on something. ;) (because, i hasten to add, they know it's true. it's a good thing to love your parents, and to have them love you.) but basically, remind them that it's *your mistake to make*, and you understand the consequences of it. and that to continue to have it be 'your mistake', you aren't going to start demanding money from them - you're going to save up for anything else.

many times parents get a little vexingly controlling with money/what stuff you buy because they're just not used to you being so independent. i mean, i am Rather Old, and even now my dad has admitted to me that it's hard for him to think of me as substantially older than my wee newborn niece (his grandchild). of course it would be silly for a toddler to buy a bjd... ....but you're not a toddler. and having to confront how old you are (and thus how old THEY are) is a heavy thing for a lot of parents. it's something kids rarely acknowledge as something that's scary or vexing for parents, because from our point of view as children it just seems like they're smothering us a little and not treating us appropriately. of course, that's also true, but i think sometimes gently acknowledging their fears helps a lot. "i know if i was little, this would be a bit of a silly purchase. but keep in mind american girl dolls with all their stuff cost about the same, right? and this is something i can enjoy far more for many years. i want this to be my introduction into a bit more of a grown-up hobby, since children don't collect these dolls. so this might be one of my first real adult purchases of things. i know you think it's a bit silly, but i've been saving up, and this is something i really do want."

i would also tease out their fears a little more. if they're afraid of you getting ripped off, which is understandable - "my kid wants to spend HOW much money on a weird little Chinese company i ain't heard of before?" - maybe try finding the same item through mintoncard or denver doll emporium, which are American companies that may be able to soothe that particular fear.

you might want to ask them point-blank what they think you should spend your money on instead. if there really is some need they're trying to direct you to, hear them out. and again, tell them, "this is my own money that i've saved up carefully. i'm not going to pressure you for more money, or use your money for this hobby, because it's going to be my hobby, not yours, after all. so please don't feel worried about financial stuff. i really do have the money for this, because i've wanted it for a long time." if there is a genuine need you're neglecting, deal with that first, of course. but i doubt you're not taking an animal to the vet to preserve dolly money or skipping a car repair bill to preserve dolly money or something equally silly there, of course. the point of this is to make your parent's fears and concerns feel validated and cared for. listening to them on this point gets them to get it off their chests so to speak. i actually bet what is happening is *they* are projecting their financial concerns on *you*, because there's a lot of financial unease around these days. you may want to offer point-blank to help out if your family is struggling with enough grocery money or something. your parents will probably turn you down, but they'll respect you for wanting to contribute like an adult. and if they don't, well, no doll for a little bit more, but eating is more important after all (and if they're struggling to feed you, that would explain why they're balking so hard at the luxury of a doll, of course).

all else fails, i'd put that doll in your bookmarks and start smaller. junkyspot has some really cute plastic, not resin, little bjds for like 30-40 dollars - little rabbits, mice, cats. consider getting one of these, and letting your parents see you painting the faceup, making the wig for it, sewing clothes for it, etc. - letting your parents see that it's a creative hobby and one you enjoy. once you get the door propped open that way, they'll be more willing to open it wider.

btw, the little hujoo abs plastic ones are hella cute. you can see mine, a little mouse called Bianca, in this rather clumsy shoot of my dolly shelf at the moment
so if you like bjds you might consider one anyway.
you would have to do the faceup yourself though since i believe junkyspot doesn't offer that service anymore (though you could shoot them an email and ask just in case!)
-
metonymy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me