Dungeons and Dragons Club

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

Favorite Basic Rules Race

Dragonborn
14%
Dwarf
No votes
Elf
26%
Gnome
No votes
Half-Elf
9%
Halfing
5%
Half-Orc
5%
Human
5%
Tiefling
37%

Total votes : 43

Re: Dungeons and Dragons

Postby KickingPixies » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:06 am

Actionbat wrote:
winter solstice. wrote:
      Still a newbie, can't really find any communities here in Korea ^^' so I've been sort of doing RP-heavy versions of D%D over Discord with friends haha.

I know a lot of people who struggle to find people nearby use roll20. I've never used it myself but I've seen videos of other people using it and it looks like its a good alternative. Maybe you and discord friends can try using that? :D

definitely would suggest roll20!! myself and my friends use this as we all live fairly far apart now that everyone's gone off to uni! it's better to use a separate system to talk though, ideally skype or hangouts so you can all see each other as well.
KickingPixies

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Actionbat » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:58 am

opalite wrote:I'm playing in a campaign with my best friends at the moment that our DM wrote!!

Because we all graduated school recently it's hard to find time to play, and some of our party members are moving away for university next year so who knows how far we'll actually get haha

I do know people who run a weekly campaign and one of them asked if I wanted to join but idk how I'd do in a campaign with people I don't know that well! I've played with the same group of close friends since last year so it's easy to get into the roleplay elements or do things that might stuff up our plans completely, and I don't think I'd have much confidence playing with others fhdjks

I understand the being nervous, I've never played with anyone I'm not close with. Especially since D&D is such a loose game and every party has their own set of rules and how they do things. You could always try it out and if they're mean dip out. And your DM I'm sure will work with you if you voice concerns with them, they can maybe give you a synopsis on how this party likes to play.
"Bat" - She/her - Art Major

I sit around and play dnd and stuff.
I casually watch anime, mostly just
Sweetness and Lightning tho.
Check out The D&D Club sometime
Actionbat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gourmetsalmon » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:13 pm

I know this thread is a few days old but it caught my eye. I've been pretty interested in getting into D&D but I have NO idea where to start as I don't have any friends that are into it. Anyone have any tips for starting and good places to look for research? Thanks in advance!
Gourmetsalmon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Actionbat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:12 am

Gourmetsalmon wrote:I know this thread is a few days old but it caught my eye. I've been pretty interested in getting into D&D but I have NO idea where to start as I don't have any friends that are into it. Anyone have any tips for starting and good places to look for research? Thanks in advance!

D&D can be intimidating to get into at first. I know there are PDFs of the handbooks online, so I'd check out the Dungeon Masters Guide and The Players Handbook. You won't get everything from reading through these but it should teach you a lot, though it may be confusing at first. There are also videos online on how to get started with things (: And beyond just general info things, geek and sundry is a really good channel on youtube that streams their dungeons and dragons campaigns with a really professional set up, and even I as a seasoned DM learned things from watching them.

It's also important to note that theirs different editions of the handbooks, and what handbooks and rules a group plays by can vary but generally not many changes from edition to edition, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. (the current edition is e5, and I believe most people either play e5 or e3.5)

If you want to find people to play with, you could try searching online, asking a local store that sells table top gaming supplies/ card games if they know anyone who plays, or you could start by dming your own campaign and recruiting your friends. It may be difficult to play your first game ever as the DM but it's a fun experience and you and your friends can learn together in an environment where you don't feel like experienced players are judging you. (editing cause I forgot to add that if you want to take the route of dming your own campaign you can use premade adventures that wizards of the coast created that'll make it easier for you.)

And of course don't be afraid to ask me anything you're confused about (:

I've watched most of these videos myself (excluding the last one) and think they're pretty good guides.
One of Geek and Sundry's Campaigns that I enjoy
How to make a character
What class should I play?
What race should I play?

Actionbat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby KickingPixies » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:43 am

Actionbat wrote:
Gourmetsalmon wrote:I know this thread is a few days old but it caught my eye. I've been pretty interested in getting into D&D but I have NO idea where to start as I don't have any friends that are into it. Anyone have any tips for starting and good places to look for research? Thanks in advance!

<snip>

It's also important to note that theirs different editions of the handbooks, and what handbooks and rules a group plays by can vary but generally not many changes from edition to edition, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. (the current edition is e5, and I believe most people either play e5 or e3.5)

<snip>

Just in regards to this bit -- I would 100% suggest 5e if you're just starting out, as it's somewhat more condensed and simpler than 3.5!
KickingPixies

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pdf » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:32 am

it's been a lil while since anyone posted here, but hi i'm craving community!

i'm az & i'm a new dm for dnd 5e, though i have a history of a few years with being a gm for pathfinder (and recently starfinder). oh, and i'm currently working on a sort of amalgamation of 5e rules with starfinder inspired mechanics that will hopefully result in a system for a simplistic time/space/dimension traveling based one-shot adventure. (:
pdf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Actionbat » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:57 am

Hello! It's good to see more faces here!
Im curious, as you've had experience with Pathfinder and D&D, are they much different or vaguely similar? I know nothing about it, but I have a dungeon master's screen that can be converted between the two games, so was wondering if it was worth looking into pathfinder seeing as I already have some materials to play it.

Also, a question for everyone, do you prefer homebrew campaigns or premade campaigns? Both as a player or as a DM!
There are parts I enjoy from both of them but I'm just curious, especially for players opinions on whats preferred because I am pretty much exclusively a DM now, and have never played a premade campaign, only DMed them.

Actionbat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby ExoticPenguin » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:11 am

nua, wrote:

who else has a member in their party who does the craziest things without minding ANYONE and then against all odds everything goes out ok?

I happened to be that member, though that was in a campaign no longer active. My characters name was 'Charles Hensley Arthur Richard Mordred Sutherland', but people call him Charms, a half elf fighter from a noble family and pretty stuck up. He happens to be terribly afraid of insects and the first adventure we went on all we fought were these weird insect things, so he was absolutely no help. In another adventure we they were fighting a couple of mimics. Charms had fun jumping on beds that day.

My character now is Vulpecula Sphynx, a humanoid fox species who's name has escaped me, originally created by my brother, the DM. There is also a Tabaxi, so, a little conflict there.
Last edited by ExoticPenguin on Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have an adopting centre!
https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4013063
And I just started writing on Storybird.com. Send me a PM if you'd like to connect on there and we can read each others things!
ExoticPenguin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pdf » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:55 am

Actionbat wrote:Hello! It's good to see more faces here!
Im curious, as you've had experience with Pathfinder and D&D, are they much different or vaguely similar? I know nothing about it, but I have a dungeon master's screen that can be converted between the two games, so was wondering if it was worth looking into pathfinder seeing as I already have some materials to play it.

Also, a question for everyone, do you prefer homebrew campaigns or premade campaigns? Both as a player or as a DM!
There are parts I enjoy from both of them but I'm just curious, especially for players opinions on whats preferred because I am pretty much exclusively a DM now, and have never played a premade campaign, only DMed them.

they are incredibly similar! the reason i learned pathfinder first is because my dad used to play dnd 1e, and pathfinder is the closest thing to the original dnd.

what makes them most different is pathfinder has a lot more small, moving parts and a much more concrete setting. for instance, there are like 3+ more types of intelligence checks. oh, and on top that the pc's are underpowered starting out, so encounters can be harder. BUT it is super fun, and there's different history to work with and such. i would recommend trying it!

and as for types of campaigns, i'm exclusively a dm/gm, but i've always preferred writing my own campaigns. i've run one premade adventure for my players, but i've found they enjoy the stories i write more because i personalize it to their interests, bring back the npc's they like, etc etc. also, i personally have a hell of a fun time making handouts, and designing my own shops/npc's/items/etc. but that's just my group!
pdf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ellipses » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:56 am

oof, hello!! i'm classy n flashy, tho y'all can call me Vix :"000
i'm a huge DND fanatic, i've been a DM as well as a PC in several campaigns (most short-lived, unfortunately). I recently joined an IRL campaign with some friends, and we're having our third session on Saturday! The campaign is basically a medieval police department-themed, and I play a cross-dressing high elf by the name of Kinqen (aka Kinky Boots). He's by far my favorite character to play as, mainly due to the fact that I've picked out several dozens o outfits for him, so he always has an "outfit of the day," haha. He's one of my more immersive characters, though I do find myself a little shy when playing as him, simply due to the fact that he canonically has a southern accent and I'm a lil embarrassed to do such an accent in front of my friends ^^"
ellipses

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me