>DND Talk<

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

>DND Talk<

Postby FunFace » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:47 am

DND Talk

So I know a few people on here like dnd, but I haven't seen any entertainment discussions about it so I decided to make a thread for this! Here you can talk about your experiences with dnd, campaigns you are playing or planning, dnd sites, character creation, and dnd podcasts/shows. Basically anything dnd related!

This thread is welcome to anyone, even if you have never played before. You are open to post questions or inquiries you have about dnd such as how to get started or ask for recommendations for a dnd podcast.

Thread Etiquette

- Be respectful of others people's opinions! Not everyone likes that same things and that is ok.
- Posting multiple times is okay, but please refrain from spamming.
- Be kind!
- Basic CS rules

please oh please click my eggs
Image Image Image Image
FunFace

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: >DND Talk<

Postby FunFace » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:47 am

Reserved <3

Image Image Image Image
FunFace

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FunFace » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:08 am

I'll make the first real post on here! I've been playing Dnd for about 5 years now. I honestly havent done too many campaigns, but all the ones I was a player in were super fun! I honestly prefer being a DM rather than a player because I love creating worlds for my players.
So the DND shows I've watched have all been from Dimension 20 on Dropout. I've watch Fantasy High, Misfits and Magic, Mice and Murder, and Shriek Week. I've only watched one dnd show off of Dropout which is Heroes in Theory on YouTube. I loveeee Brennan Lee Mulligan's way of DMing so much and I would very much recommend anyone to watch his stuff.
The only dnd podcasts that I listen to are from the Mcelroy Brothers, which is the Adventure zone. So far I've only completed Balance, and Amnesty from the series, but both were so so very good.
Anyway, I feel like this is a good baseline post for everyone! Feel free to post pictures of your cool dice, character art and backstory or ideas you have for a campaign. Or you can just talk about what you live about DND, the choice is yours!

Image Image Image Image
FunFace

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:42 am

I've been playing Pathfinder (not DnD but close enough I think) at least since 2017 with my friends. I'm not 100% sure when we actually started that campaign but around 2017 likely. ^^; We've only had a game session once every month or so unfortunately, which is why it has taken so long with that campaign. Recently we decided to put this campaign to rest and start completely new one in a new world and also switch to DnD system (as two of my friends already play with that in other games). Sad to say goodbye to our current campaign but it's also excellent opportunity to possibly make a new character (not like I had maybe 4-5 backup characters already lol). The character I've played so far is a half-elf sorcerer-rogue, who has kinda crazy stealth and fire spells are her specialty.

I started consuming DnD shows due to wanting to play more but not having that option. First show I watched was Dimension 20's Fantasy High (season 1) and then Unsleeping City (season 1). I've also watched all of Critical Role's first campaign (still need to watch their extra episodes), most of second campaign and I'm watching their third campaign as it comes out (not live though because timezones). Critical Role is a beast to catch up with 100+ episodes that are 3-4 hour long, even with 1,5x speed. I've also started on Nights of Eveningstar, High Rollers (as podcast, though they have youtube as well I think) and NPC D&D but catching up on those is currently on the back burner.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cr0wz » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:15 pm

WOOO Dnd discussion thread. I'm so glad I found this lol. I love dnd and always wanna talk more about it
Hi it's me, Crow. I dm multiple campaigns (two of which I started with people from this very website) Dnd is my special interest so it's all I ever think about. I've read most of the core books cover to cover a few times over so my brain is filled to the brim with dnd knowledge. If you ever have any questions related to dnd at all, or wanna ask me about my worlds/characters feel free to reach out. I'd love to talk. Getting into dnd can be hard and if i'm able to help someone get started I would love to.

@FunFace
The Dimnesion 20 campaigns are really good! They're certainly my favorite dnd podcast/liveplay group(s) (I like the main cast a lot, but they do have some fun guests with their "side quests". Brennan is a wonderful dm. To be honest I look up to him lol. I have been a dm and he is the kind of dm I strive to be. You can just see how much he loves his worlds, stories, and npcs. I adore the way he always includes a character specific story arc for every single player and how deeply intertwined they can become with the main story. It's so much fun to watch the characters grow! I listened to TAZ too and I really enjoyed it but something about being able to see the player's faces pulled me more to the campaigns on youtube like dimension20 more than the podcasts

@hime
I've only done a little bit in pathfinder 2e but from my experience it is pretty close! If I remember correctly, which I may be wrong because I haven't looked into pathfinder too much, but the people who created pathfinder were building off of dnd 3.5e. You can certainly see the similarities in the d20 rolling system. I kinda like to think of pathfinder as a more complex version of dnd. Combat has more options and the like but it still follows the same general rules and layout that dnd has.
You can certianly see where the two systems divulged and the differences between dnd 5e and pathfinder 2e.
It's so sad when you have to abandon a campaign/character but it's always exciting to have the chance to play again! I wish you the best in your new endeavors!
Dimension 20 has some of my favorite series! Personally I'm partial to Fantasy High, but Unsleeping City is a close second. If you're thinking about getting the subscription for the youtube to continue watching I totally recommend it. It's worth the cost! They have so much dnd content that it practically pays for itself in watch time. Collegehumor's other content is also rather enjoyable, but personally I just see it as an added bonus for all their dnd content. Their current campaign, A Starstruck Odyssey, is such a fun watch! I watch it weekly on release day and the story is fantastic.
I want to start Critical Role but the sheer amount of content intimidates me lol. There's SO MUCH to watch if I wanna catch up
Cr0wz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rennylars » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:55 am

My friend messaged me to ask what taz balance was about and i ended up summarizing the entire plot to them over a course of three days lol
rennylars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby McPrime » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:17 pm

Does anyone have amazingly funny character tropes (obviously within CS Guidelines) that I could use for an April fools character? I'm struggling to come up with anything
┌────────────┐

Imagex

└────────────┘
x
x
┌─────────────┐

ABOUT ME:
Pronouns - He/Him &
She/Her,
Panromantic Bigender Ace

└─────────────┘
x
x
┌──────┐

└──────┘
┌────────────┐

Imagex

└────────────┘

Constant unbalanced trades/gifts with @ Shadowfire_Prime because I spoil my girlfriend fiancée <3

If my lights are off, I am probably asleep or at work. If my lights are on, I'm awake and active.

Lights are OFF
McPrime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Okabudge » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:49 am

McPrime wrote:Does anyone have amazingly funny character tropes (obviously within CS Guidelines) that I could use for an April fools character? I'm struggling to come up with anything

I’ve always been quite fond of the Bardbarian trope- a bard/barbarian multi class. It just feels unexpected and silly!
    You could probably take any idea, but make it so your character is essentially the opposite- an incompetent wizard, a spell-casting class that for some reason forgets they have magic so they rely solely on melee weapons.
    I find that the silliest race to play has probably got to be the kenku as they can only speak in mimicry. If you play into that, it makes for some really funny dialogue roleplay. A close second for me would be a gnome- specifically a gnome that gets incredibly indignant about being short because they’re actually tall… for a gnome.

I don’t know if my ideas are anything you’ll use, but hopefully they will point you in the right direction or give you some food for thought!

budge | he/him | adult
just your average guy trying his best. i draw sometimes!
my inbox is always open if you need anything~
gallery / pets / message
sig source

Image Image Image
Okabudge

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FunFace » Fri May 19, 2023 12:24 pm

McPrime wrote:Does anyone have amazingly funny character tropes (obviously within CS Guidelines) that I could use for an April fools character? I'm struggling to come up with anything

Okay, I love this question because I have played some gag characters on multiple occasions. Not sure if you're looking for a character for a one shot or not, but typically when I make gag characters I make it so you can play them funny and have fun with it, but they can also have depth and be able to carry out serious scenes if need be. Of course all of that depends on how you want to play a character and is completely up to you!
Anyway, one to the actual ideas!

So, playing a silly goofy Gnome character, preferably one with a funny name(like Gerome the Gnome). You can choose whatever chaotic class you'd like, or alternatively make them overall bad at what they do. (Like a Fighter with low strength ect.) However! The little twist is that they aren't actually a Gnome, but a Changeling! Acting as a changeling, they can actually be pretty useful, but for whatever reason, reallyyyy like staying as a Gnome.
What I did for my character was literally they heard this Gnome at a bar talking about all the amazing adventures he went on and so my changeling character was like, "Yeah I wanna be that guy." And so did just that.

Another option could be a very peaceful character like an Elf who's class is Cleric and that is pretty devoted to their deity, but for whatever reason, becomes super unhinged and starts multiclassing as a warlock or barbarian or something the complete opposite of what they previously were. This little gag can also be reversed as well depending on how you want to play the character.

Those are all I can really think of ATM, I hope these help :]

Image Image Image Image
FunFace

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby phantomfurr » Fri May 19, 2023 12:31 pm

I’ve only played dnd once and it wasn’t even a serious game it was a silly one. But I had tons of fun even though we got next to nothing done lol! I always wanted to play with a group though but I don’t have anyone to teach me nor do I know where to find a group to play with. D: If I could play a character though, I’d make a super cool rogue elf type character! She was a chaotic good but I never really fleshed out a story, look, or personality for her. Her name was Valor though and went by they/them at the time which has now changed to she/her.
phantomfurr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me