Film Review & Discussion

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: Film Review & Discussion

Postby Silverhart » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:38 pm

Soft Sand wrote:
    Wow, it's been a while - hi everyone!

The main criticism with which I agree would be the lack of emotion. I was surprised at the inconsistencies of even basic realistic feline body language as well - young Nala pins back her ears and crouches down after receiving the news from Scar, but young Simba is completely straight-faced and neutral (forward-facing ears, regular posture) after the stampede when Scar tells him to run away. It's very distracting at many points, especially if the voice actors cry while their characters don't show any bit of it visually. Timon seems to have gotten the better end of the stick but I'd imagine it's because real-life meerkats are just more naturally expressive.

And of course that begs the question, why make a "realistic" Lion King at all? Well, it doesn't seem to be realism itself that's the issue, because Disney themselves made a highly expressive photorealistic lion fifteen years ago with the Narnia films. Other examples of photorealistic but still expressive CGI animals include Detective Pikachu, Rocket Raccoon, Stuart Little, Guardians of Ga'Hoole, the list goes on... Sonic and Cats (2019) are a whole post for another day lmao

Can I just say that this was my feeling exactly. There's a scene in the beginning where the cubs are playing that has a ton of life and expression, and then the rest of the movie is just... bland. What happened? Not only that, but the voices don't match the character designs at all, and it creates this horrible tonal dissonance. I think a big part of it is because there is just no inflection in the model to make it 'act', but also just poor design choices all around. Perfect example, the hyenas are funny, but they look terrifying, so no one in our packed theater laughed at their jokes at all. And it's not like you can't make a photo realistic hyena look goofy - real hyenas are already pretty goofy.

The animation is also nothing spectacular. The models look amazing, don’t get me wrong, but they have no life, and they move so slow. It’s painfully slow – it feels like they added extra frames for some reason. The wildebeest stampede feels like it’s happening in slow motion, even though it’s supposed to be a really fast paced scene. When the lions leap they seem to hang in the air for an extra few miliseconds, and it looks really off.

But my personal biggest problem was the straight up theft of the original. This wasn’t a remake – it was a copy. The dialogue was almost identical, the story beats were the same (but delivered poorly because the models couldn’t emote, and so they had to say everything they feel rather than show it), the environments were the same, the layouts were the same, the lighting, the music, even the camera shots and animations were the same - whole sequences were straight up lifted out of the original. Sequences that were storyboarded and animated by other people. At a certain point it stops being an homage and becomes theft. If this movie succeeds it’s only because of other people who did the hard work, people who were dedicated to the craft of hand drawn animation and visual storytelling. And thinking about how a lot of those animators lost their jobs at Disney when they shut down their traditional animation department to focus on computer generated projects makes this whole movie even more of a low blow in my eyes. Like the original creators are still alive and still have to work to make a living, and you're just copying their work literally shot for shot. The same people who's work you deemed "obsolete" only a few years ago.

I’m not against remakes. If it helps to keep a story relevant, introducing it to a new generation of audiences, keeping it fresh, getting people talking and analyzing it again - I can get behind that. Revitalizing a story is a noble intention. But ‘The Lion King’ wasn’t in need of retelling. It’s not old enough that it needs to be updated, or reintroduced to audiences, there weren’t themes that went unexplored (at least none the remake felt like exploring), and people were still talking about the original – the original even got a theatrical rerelease a few years ago.

It’s sad, because the idea of remaking ‘The Lion King’ isn’t a bad one – it’s already just a rehashing of ‘Hamlet’ with themes lifted from ‘Bambi’. There’s a lot you could explore with that concept, and they handled it so poorly. It ultimately felt shallow and superficial to me: pretty to look at, but emotionally hollow. It really adds nothing to the original.

Also yes, hi, I did come on here just to rant about it, because everyone else seems to love this remake, and it annoys me that the filmmakers were too lazy to even bother creating different shots. Just because you slap a coat of paint on it doesn't mean you built the house.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby koolkatkoolkat123 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:55 pm

My biggest issue with the live action TLK is they rushed dialogue, Simba and Nala's reunion should have been OMG Simba you're alive how can this be and instead we get Oh wow Simba you're back, Sarabi doesn't even pause to think after Simba admits what he did, the moment he stops talking to him she gets upset, like you are allowed to linger on those moments Disney.

And the most annoying thing, there are two ridiculously long and drawn out scenes that could have been cut way down to give more time to the more emotional moments. One is the mouse's journey to get to Scar's cave, a scene that was about 5 seconds in the animated version and the other was Simba's fur's journey. I mean its all beautifully done but what was the point

And I'm sorry but you don't have to force in an 'original' song because you got Beyonce, if they wanted to have Beyonce sing an original they should have added it to the end credits and gave her Shadowland instead.

Circle of Life, I just can't wait to be King and The Lion Sleeps tonight were the only songs that I enjoyed. Can you feel the love tonight was awful and we had barely any of Be Prepared (for obvious reasons but they didn't have to cut the entire song out, they could have still kept the beginning) and Hakuna Matata sounded less broadway style more pop at times
koolkatkoolkat123

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wormooze » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:43 am

Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus

So I just watched Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus on Netflix and it was a Netflix animated movie and was pretty good ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The first 30 minuets or so is pretty much pure nostalgia for the original show to make you remember the characters and story from back then. (as if it wasn't on the air for 20+ years) But I've been seeing a resurge for this, that remakes are being made and even reboots nothing necessarily new is coming out and that's what you kinda see in this movie. Because it is a netflix movie, and the original show was targeted to younger kids, the tone of the movie is a lot less darker than the show was. nothing wrong with this i was just expecting more of what the original show was like just with a newish story. I kinda thought it would be like an extended invader zim episode pretty much. I think the reason why it had a lighter tone to it was cause they did change the characters actual personalities a bit, they made them more "kid show like" you could say.

Speaking of the original show, the animation and character designs were very close to the original show but they still managed to have a more modern feel to it and honestly this is one of the best examples of a reboot happening where they didn't completely change the style and I really enjoyed that. When I first saw the new designs I didn't really like them but after reading an interview with one of the animators and realizing they wanted a new feel while still keeping the original there really made me think of it differently and actually appreciate it more, so the animation was wonderful and i just really thought they did a good job. little bit of spoiler But in one part of the movie they even had a scene where they animated it in different styles, like those "shrek but 40 different people animated it" kinda things and I thought that was really cool seeing the everything in other styles im a sucker for that stuff.

idk over all it was a pretty good movie. I enjoyed the animation more than the story but they story was also pretty ok but not great, and I get that this is supposed to be for kids but im not a kid so i'm looking at it as an actual normal movie. but over all I would watch this movie even if I have never seen invader zim. my final thoughts on it are that I would recommend it to someone if they said "should I watch the invader zim movie?" but would not recommend it if someone asked "what are some really good animated kids movies to watch?"

so i'm gonna give it a 6/10 but it's closer to a 7 cause i do like invader zim
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
wormooze

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby horchata » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:03 pm

i'm pretty sure i last filled this questionnaire out when i first joined so i think i'm going to fill it out again, @polerberr if you want to update my favourite films feel free haha

Favorite Movie(s) and Why
      probably: submarine, the nice guys, napoleon dynamite, clueless, lord of the rings, hot rod

my absolute favourites are just ones i can rewatch so, so much. submarine is really underrated and has an amazing soundtrack, you guys should definitely watch it - and the other films are pretty typically popular so shrug emoji - i'm putting other films that come super close to favourites in 'best movies ever seen' haha

Least Favorite Movie(s) and Why
      perks of being a wallflower, red desert, the meg, hancock, idk there's a lot haha

perks of being a wallflower for just... so many reasons; red desert because while i understand its merits, watching it i found it so incredibly boring; the meg because any enjoyment the film could've had was crushed by the pointless, boring dialogue, the acting, the romantic subplot ugh; and hancock because the acting is incredibly bad and the special fx aren't so great either

Best Movies Ever Seen
      the revenant, pulp fiction, the truman show, fantastic mr fox, wolf of wall street,,

other movies that i love (not my favourite, not the best but i rlly love them) are juno, what we do in the shadows, moulin rouge!, how to train your dragon, blade runner 2049, daisies, romeo+juliet, 500 days of summer and ratatouille

Worst Movies Ever Seen
      jack and jill, passengers, a lot of sequels like legally blondes and fox and the hound 2 etc.. idk i consider worst movies and least favourite movies to be largely the same

Favorite Director(s)
      taika waititi, quentin tarantino, tim burton, wes anderson, baz luhrmann

Favorite Actor(s)
      leonardo dicaprio, elijah wood, daniel radcliffe, joseph gordon levitt, josh thomas, joe keery

Favorite Actress(es)
      aubrey plaza, zooey deschanel, caitlin stasey, uma thurman, helena bonham carter, tilda swinton, winona ryder, margot robbie

Any Film Critics you follow?
      i still read roger eberts reviews (rip : ( ), and with piero scaruffi they're the only 'film critics' i read, but i do watch amateur critics on youtube + like video essays and stuff
a gardener told me some plants move
───────
libra - hufflepuff - infp
forum game!

───────
but i could not believe it

horchata

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:37 am

Do you remember what your username was back then? I can edit it!

I'm actually wondering if I should continue the members' favorite movies list? If you guys want it to continue then I'll add everyone else that's new too. I'm just concerned about how long it might get lmao.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby horchata » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:42 am

my name was kitkat~, thanks!

if anyone is interested btw, i'm currently making a list on letterboxd combining three top 1000 lists and deleting all the extras - it was compiled in a spreadsheet by a user on reddit but i'm just adding them all to a letterboxd list so if anyone has that and would like to check some off, feel free! : )
a gardener told me some plants move
───────
libra - hufflepuff - infp
forum game!

───────
but i could not believe it

horchata

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Salsaverde » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:53 pm

Hello all! It's been a really long time, so I thought I'd stop by!

What are some good movies that you've seen recently?

For me personally, I just saw Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), No Country for Old Men, and Joker. Of course, I watched Mulan for the hundredth time, but it never gets old!

edit: my old user was Zitrone! And my new favorite movies are Alien, Aliens, and The Third Man... as of right now (:

⌜ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌝
[female] - [video games] - [film student]
[science fiction] - [history buff]
[cephalopods] - [Christian] - [dare to play]

⌞ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌟

ImageImageImageImageImage

Katrina wrote:"May happiness find you and yours...
and remember that bad times
are just times that are bad."

in space no one can hear
‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ you scream ‍. . .
Salsaverde

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BananaSocks » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:13 pm

favorite movie(s) and why
    i would say fantastic mr fox is my all-time favourite because i watched it as a child and i still
    enjoy it now. the animation, the characters, the detail, the plot, wes anderson is such a solid director

the owls of ga'hoole was also one of my favourite films growing up and i still think its underrated

least favorite movie(s) and why
    i found the breakfast club incredibly boring, it didn't really make an impact on me, i dont understand
    the hype around it. inside out was objectively a good movie but i didnt like it for various reasons

best movies ever seen
    the florida project, trainspotting, boyhood, beautiful boy, saving face, the miseducation of cameron post,
    hunt for the wilderpeople, the perks of being a wallflower, fantastic mr fox to name a few. i prefer
    watching indie / art house films just because introspection plus the cinematography, the acting, the
    soundtrack are all chefs kiss

worst movies ever seen
    any 3d animated movie targetted towards children nowadays tbh, and some live action remakes and sequels

favorite director(s)
    wes anderson, taika waititi

favorite actor(s)
    emma watson, margot robbie, timothee chalamet, asa butterfield, alex lawther
    xxx
    xxx
    xxx
    xxx

im electric, a romantic cliché
    heather • löded diper fanatic
    im an art student, hoping to do
    something that i like. talk to me
    about film books music anything.
    i listen to a ton of rock and indie
    bands, if you like declan mckenna
    wolf alice nothing but thieves
    lorde the strokes florence + the
    machine we are friends, it is the
    law. uh i wish i had some fish
    discord [#6740] insta spotify
xxxxxx
BananaSocks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:28 am

So...Star Wars Episode IX. The best word I have to describe it is "disappointing" - not bad, but not particularly good, either, and definitely nothing special, which is a shame!

Everything good in this movie is just a watered down version of something that was done much better in another Star Wars movie (mainly TLJ). I mean, at least they didn't try to actively retcon anything from TLJ, aside from making Ren's statement about Rey's parents a "Jedi truth", which is totally unsurprising. That's actually another good descriptor for this movie: Unsurprising. Literally the only thing that I couldn't have predicted a mile away is the whole plot which provides a bigger evil for Rey and Ben to team up against, mainly because it comes out of nowhere and is totally bonkers (this is the first time in the new trilogy I've been reminded of the Legends novels in a bad way). None of the characters seemed to have distinct motivations besides "what the plot demands", and Kylo Ren gets hit particularly hard with that because Abrams didn't seem to know what to do with him as Supreme Leader. What's really damning is it just has nothing to say - by the end, I was wondering what the point was, and the only answer seems to be "we need to end this as inoffensively as possible". It's not even that impressive aesthetically - there's one lightsaber duel and it doesn't do anything interesting, and the only times the music made me feel anything was when it was stealing cues wholesale from other episodes to remind you of those more emotionally resonant stories.

*ENDING SPOILERS*

You know exactly who dies - Leia and all the characters on the wrong side of the conflict. Ben is redeemed, but still dies, because apparently the writers were incapable of having someone try to come to terms with his own crimes for once. Also Reylo is canon I guess, not that it matters anymore. Seriously though, WHY DID HE HAVE TO DIE? Because they didn't want to deal with the Skywalker family anymore? The more I think about it, the more it frustrates me.
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Anza » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:12 pm

I too came here for the Star Wars Review....

All in all, if I had to describe it I'd give it a "meh"
    None of the events really surprised me and the pacing was unnaturally fast even for a star wars movie. They had to cram a lot into the run time and relied a lot on plot convenience to get where they needed to go. Character's "gut feelings" did a lot of the work that the writers couldn't do to get them out of certain situations. I don't recommend seeing it because it's star wars but it didn't wow me like some of the films before it. Even with TLJ, which had a lot of story telling problems, had some damm good scenes that got me saying "oh dang I did not expect that." I predicted this entire movie going in & that is never a good thing.

SPOILERS BELLOW
    Ok
    Last
    Warning

Well Reylo is cannon and I called it from the first film and if you can't tell already I'm super happy about it. While as a fan I wanted Ben Solo/Kylo Ren to be redeemed and live to tell the tale, I had a feeling that it wasn't going to happen going in. Disney doesn't like to redeem characters completely because I guess it would be saying that it justifies their actions before hand or what not. Plus this film was meant to wrap up the Skywalker saga and death has a way to make sure there are no loose ends. Again the film was rushed and I would have preferred to see more of Rey's grief and maybe Ben as a force ghost but eh I guess. The one thing that keeps me going is this one twitter post that said "If Luke Skywalker can hold a lightsaber as a force ghost, Ben Solo can (you finish the rest here)" There addition of some new characters was also off throwing a bit, I wish they had just focused on the characters that we had gotten to know more already from the past films (Yes I'm totally talking about Poe's old flame here). My biggest complaint is probably how the trilogy flowed. The way the third film came out it was as if the second one didn't exist in the same universe. The first and the third felt tied together, and I can't really describe it with any real words but basically the continuation felt non existent and that was incredibly annoying.

IF ANYONE WANTS TO TALK REYLO PLEASE HIT ME UP
    I read fanfictions to keep me going lol
costal cowgirl / law student / CS member since 2012
01/2022 UPDATE ---> I've chosen to leave the original character community however,
I am keeping my closed species adopts as they mean quite a lot to me.
I'm here now mostly for events
✮ ✮ ✮
Anza

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me