music discussion! - reviews, opinions, etc. [new rule!]

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: music discussion! - reviews, opinions, etc.

Postby talkshow boy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:49 pm

oops i've barely posted here.

favorite song of 2016; ummm, probably muchacho by kings of leon. it was a pretty weak year for music imo
song you listened to the most in the past year; this is gonna hurt by sixx:a.m., according to spotify
any concerts you've been too/plan on going to?; i saw five finger death punch, shinedown, and sixx:a.m. live.
favorite part of the 2016?; getting a new cat! not really music related oops
favorite music moment of 2016?; seeing shinedown live
currently listening to anything?; comfortably numb by pink floyd
dont message me.
talkshow boy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby laura palmer. » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:45 am

@afterglow
oooh i love comfortably numb, that might be my favorite floyd song. that or time. and aw!! thats rad you got a cat!! i love cats

weekly announcements [idk what im doing ahh]

-adding a new section to reviews 'music videos'
i've always digged a good visual piece to go with a song, so tell me about your favorites, your least favorites, etc!

-looking to commission someone to make this group a little stamp or button to put in signatures.
please let me know if you know of anyone!!!

-might be adding a second mod soon. let me know if maybe you'd be interested!

-im planning on reviewing;
ultraviolence by ldr
turn blue by the black keys
favourite worst nightmare by the arctic monkeys
am by the arctic monkeys

-might slightly adjust the sign-up questions, idk i feel like there are too many. oops.

anyways, have a lovely day everyone!!
feel free to review, or just chat about music! love y'all
laura palmer.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby chanel » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:08 am

favorite song of 2016; uhh, close to you by Rihanna
song you listened to the most in the past year; sweater weather by the neighbourhood
any concerts you've been too/plan on going to?; I've been to lana del rey's The Endless summer tour.
favorite part of the 2016?; when I got my pupper
favorite music moment of 2016?; @realjoshdun I have to agree with you
currently listening to anything?; immortal - j. cole
xxxx

┌─────────────────┐

chanel ⏤ she/her ⏤ dog trainer

hi, I'm chanel. I'm generally really nice
to talk to so don't be afraid to shoot me a
pm. I enjoy writing and drawing, talking about
dogs, tv shows, books, etc. have a nice day! c:

└─────────────────┘
chanel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby snakeman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:22 am

favorite song of 2016; It's doubtful anyone here has heard it but I love Gigolo and Gallows by Electric Mother. Local band, they made an album this year. I saw them twice, they're pretty good!
song you listened to the most in the past year; I dunno. Probably half of this entire album or What The Hell Have I by Alice In Chains
any concerts you've been too/plan on going to?; I want to see System Of A Down this year but I don't know if I can get tickets ;-;
favorite part of the 2016?; The trips away with cadets. First one I got to see tons of cool aircraft and went in the cockpit of one of these twice, got a frisbee and a poster out of the back and got the frisbee signed by the Red Arrows, the second trip I got to actually fly a plane for five minutes once it was in the air... I want to fly more now ;u;
favorite music moment of 2016?; Sabaton's new album... I don't have it yet but I WILL. IT HAS A SONG ABOUT BANNOCKBURN ON IT. And possibly the announcement of the Temple Of The Dog tour. The album's great and so was Mother Love Bone
currently listening to anything?; No but I have this stuck in my head. gotta love chris cornell
snakeman

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Disingenuous » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:43 am

Is it too late to join? :>

favorite artist, and why; This one's hard. It changes every few days. Right now it would have to be The Arctic Monkeys. Its the way they sound angry but smooth - I especially like the early stuff before they started singing in American accents.
favorite song, and why; Right now - Summer Shandy by The Front Bottoms. It's got a really relevant aesthetic. It's about a young adult sort of just existing while they try to find themselves. There's this weird limbo people go into after they graduate high school where they spend a lot of time figuring out who they are, where they feel like they should be in life, and what their goals are. This song is a really interesting perspective on that and really heckin' catchy.
favorite lyric, and why; "I'll make it to the moon, if I have to crawl." From Scar Tissue by The Red Hot Chili Peppers. One day, I will get this lyric tattooed. It's important to me for multiple reasons, but it's also just a really well written line. It's so short and says so much about being belligerently optimistic.
favorite album, and why;My favorite album will always by 21st Century Breakdown by Green Day. Personally, it was my first introduction into modern punk, but it also embodies a time period to me. There are so many references to things that were going on while it was being written and what they expected life to be like, all while following the story of a couple characters. For these reasons, I also think it will get better with age. Regional at Best by Twenty One Pilots will always be a close second.
favorite genre; Anything except country music.
favorite music news source [if any]; I use twitter to follow all of my bands and find new ones - aside from tumblr.
least favorite artist, and why;Melanie Martinez. I used to try really hard to listen to her. The music itself is so upbeat and weird and I love weird music, but her lyrics are not my cup of tea.
least favorite song, and why; Gangsta by Kehlani on the Suicide Squad Album. I really like this album and immediately bought it for TOP and Panic! But yet again, the lyrics kill this song for me.
favorite music service Spotify
favorite platform? (records, cds, digital, etc.); As much as I think it's a little pretentious and hipster-y of me, I love listening to records. I have an ungodly number of records.
Disingenuous

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby laura palmer. » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:04 pm

@TheRatDogHater
welcome to the group!!
it's amazing how I basically agree with everything you just said. you should pm me sometime, we share a lot of interests!
the arctic monkeys are definitely one of my favorite bands. the lyrics matched with alex's voice sounds so nice to me. my favorite song is probably 505 or a certain romance.
I adore how 505 is so chill at first, and then he goes "and I crumble completely when you cry" and it just escalates so much. I love it so much. ahhh
green day are also one of my favorites, and I grew up on American Idiot. I remember the day 21st century breakdown came out, haha. my favorite from the album has to be last of the American girls.
I really love it.
and regional at best, yusss, such a great album. so rich with lyrical content.

ah I agree about the "hipster-ness" of records, but I cant help myself from listening to them. the sound is just a trillion times better than digital, or a cd. and also they're just so fun to collect! all the hidden posters and liner notes, records are awesome.
laura palmer.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby laura palmer. » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:51 pm

ahh im so happy
new music from mac demarco annnd future islands, in just a week!!
also, mac is touring and im super happy i might see him soon!

i've been listening to so much last shadow puppets and arctic monkeys lately.
what have you guys been listening to?
laura palmer.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby skeleton, » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:34 pm

@realjoshdun
i've been listening to a lot of green day recently??
they're pretty much all i've been listening to

@TheRatDogHater
21st century breakdown was such a good album!
dookie will always be my favorite green day album, but 21st century breakdown might take second place.
the way you feel about melanie martinez is kinda how i first felt about her. but eventually i kinda grew to like it??
skeleton,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby laura palmer. » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:04 am

@skeleton,
i frequently find myself going down green day phases. im digging their new album!!

im gonna do another review yay me!!

bankrupt by phoenix

tracklist;;
1. entertainment
2. the real thing
3. s.o.s. in bel air
4. trying to be cool
5. bankrupt!
6. drakkar noir
7. chloroform
8. don't
9. bourgeois
10. oblique city

i absolutely adore this album. i have it on vinyl and i gotta say, this is definitely the record i find myself listening to the most. i've always liked phoenix, but there is just something about this album that i adore. they are a french band, so some of their lyrics and titles are in french, but a majority is english.
i never grow tired of this album. it has a poppy vibe to it, and includes lots of synths + keyboards.
rumors say phoenix is gonna put out new music soon, so im hyped!!

my favorite track on the album is don't. i just really like the vibe it gives off. [why am i talking like a surfer dude ahh]
the lyrics are nice too :))
my second favorite track is the title track, bankrupt!. a majority of it is instrumental, and it changes, slowly going through each instrument. the lyrics on this song are sort of trance like, and repetitive. i really like it, and the line "forever is for everyone else" really sticks out to me. it always has.
id compare this album and band to the likes of empire of the sun, mgmt, or the strokes. less guitar than the strokes though.
if you dig any of those bands, id definitely suggest listening to this album!!

im gonna give it a 10/10
because there really is nothing that i dont like on this album!
laura palmer.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Disingenuous » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:16 am

@Realjoshdun
Wow, it does seem we have a LOT of the same interests. I LOVE 505. The way that line changes the whole tone of the song is fricken great.
My only issue with collecting records is that they aren't all made to be played at the same speed. I have like the first vinyl they made of Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die by Panic! And it plays just slow enough to be infuriatingly annoying on every setting. lmao you just listen to it and get mad. But then I have a The Who vinyl that's from 1973 (and trust me, she had more scratches than I have IQ points), and it plays like new. As far as how records are played goes, I am generally confused.

@Skeleton
Dookie is definitely the god of all albums, I think I just like 21st Century better because I related to it so much more when it came out. I was a very angry 12-year-old.
I love your whole frank iero thing you have going on. :>

I have a question though! A Green Day one. I think Revolution Radio was great, but did any other fans not care for the Trilogy so much? Uno grew on me, Dos was okay, and as blasphemes as I feel like it is to say, I just didn't like Tre.
Disingenuous

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me