Least favorite book

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: worst book ever

Postby Madame Butterfly » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:20 am

Ozymandias + Kansas' "Dust in the Wind" = awesome
Madame Butterfly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby acuteLethologica » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:20 am

I dearly disliked the Red Badge of Courage and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Rather boring books really. You know, Dr. Jekyll always sounded so cool, then I read it. It was boring. xP Wuthering Heights, what I got through, was kinda blah too. Maybe it's just me. Eh... XD And I'm not a picky reader either...
Image Image Image
Please visit my dragons? <:
DeviantArt! Characters! CS Advice!
acuteLethologica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blue_dun » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:16 am

apwbd wrote:... I realy loathe the book STARGIRL though. What the point of the dumb thing?

OMG. How could you hate stargirl? It has no point, really, but it really drew me in to the story. Jerry Spinelli is AWESOME. Have you read any other books by him? Maniac Magee deserved its Newberry medal.
Worst book? Umm... I read only two pages of 'Conversations with God' before nearly pitching it (I couldnt, because it was a library book). Its theology is all messed up.
To be honest, I liked Twilight. it had a good storyline and everything, and Stephanie Meyer is a really good writer, but why did she have to put all that graphic stuff in? Why?
Hey guys. some of you may know me as blue_dun or +Master Quatre. Long story short, I've grown up and moved on--I'm in college now, seven years after making this account!!--but if you want to talk, for nostalgia's sake or just interest, shoot me a PM or find me at tumblr (I'm a kpop blog, just FYI) bluedun96@gmail.com / bryroleplayer96@gmail.com
blue_dun

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sylvia » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:18 am

kiba-wolf wrote:To Kill a Mockingbird

I really like that book even though I had to write my A-levels about it :lol:
do english people need to read "Faust" by Goethe?

There are only 4 books I wasn't able to finish in my whole life (even if I don't like it I try to go on). worst 3 are:
-the cleaner by paul cleave (absolutely weird even though it was a bestseller)
-a river runs through it by norman maclean (they're like only talking about fly-fishing. horrible)
-the Judge and His Hangman by Friedrich Dürrenmatt (horrible. everytime I tried to read it I doze of after reading 2 pages. the movie isn't any better)
Sylvia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Utopia » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:00 am

Has anyone read A Tiler's Afternoon by Lars Gustafsson? That's just... well, the title says it. The book is about a tiler's afternoon (he spends it working on a bathroom) and that's it. It has it's funny moments and something like a side-plot which could be interesting (but isn't) - yet the book is a masterpiece of a lacking plot...

The dangers and the punishments grew greater
And the way back by angels was defended...

Image Image

Moorbraut & Schwarzgold & Aenor
Utopia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ashtolith » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:08 am

the worst book I've ever read... I was asked to start with a book last month about the opinion of the author about religion in general and christianity in particular. The author himself was an atheist and made it very clear, that everything but atheism/agnosticism was way beneath him and how we should all condemn religion, "look how bad it has made the world".
He gave a very one-sided view, critizising everything about religion and painting atheism in the most golden light there is. He also refused to acknowledge his own way of seeing things in Black and White, despite the fact that he used that particular thing as his main reason for why religion was a force of EVIL (it was even written in bold italics...)
It was horrible ôo
I'm actually leaning more towards atheism myself, but that book was like one of those intolerant, bigoted hate-tirades some fundamentalistic religious groups throw out, only for the other side. I consequently refused to finish it or remember its name ^^*
As for the discussion about books read in school: the problem with that is, that most schools I know issue books "relating" to as many people as they can. So they almost always use "realistic" books about puberty and first love and whatnot. That's definitely not for everyone ôo in normal classes, I actually never had to read classic literature and most of the time they gave us the same stories about teenage life over and over again, as if they'd been put in a blender and then straightened out. The same thing as before, just in another order.
There were only two times I was actually given a book I had to really think about (and that I therefore liked very much):

1) in 5th class, where we read the Little Hobbit for German lessons... of course, maybe 7 people in the entire class liked the book, the rest couldn't relate to it. Shows how difficult it is to choose a book for a lot of people to read. Especially if it requires to imagine a fantasyworld, there are always some people who simply don't want that and give up (and sadly, it's the majority in my experience). It only worked out well, because our teacher was the most awesome guy I knew :D

2) in 11th class, where we read Orwells "Animal Farm" in english. That book left a kind of bitter aftertaste in my mind, but it actually required for us to think about something other than the petty problems of "how can I get that boy/girl to like me/give me my first kiss/go to the dance with me" that all the other books forced down my throat.
I'd have actually loved to be "forced" to read something classic and more influential than that, but sadly, it was not meant to be (oh woe me!). So, I'll just have to read it in my free time :)
Ashtolith

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LadyMustang » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:39 pm

I like classics and all, but I just couldnt stomach "Ethan Frome" by Edith Warton and "Tale of Two Cities".
Ethan Frome was the most boring thing in the world, and ToTC had a great plot line, I just didn't like how endddddless the sentences were. Oh well, thats just the style, maybe I will appreciate it later on haha
I am participating in Holibombs!
I've gifted 0 people.
I've received 0 gifts.

LadyMustang

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby thedrowsydeer » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:04 am

Averie wrote:I really disliked Great Expectations.
The teacher made it sound so cool and then it was just... Blah.
There was a whole page and half that was devoted to describing how a lady buttered her toast.

I love that story!

The worst book I ever read was Island Of The Blue Dolphins. Ack! It gave me such an icky feeling :evil:
thedrowsydeer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ValkyreCain » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:04 am

that's hard. probably one of the warrior cats The New Prophecy books. that whole set sucked.
ValkyreCain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lazy dragon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:52 am

I really don't like the Warrior Cats books. *Dodges daggers sent at me* I read the first book in 3 weeks. I can read all the Harry Potter books within a day, so yeah, that's bad for me.

I hated the Twilight series, Uglies series, Land of Elyon books, and any book my Lit. teacher makes me read. (Kira-Kira, The Pearl, and Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry.)

There were many other books I didn't like, but I can't remember them. :?

i wanna scream
'i love you'
from the top of my lungs
but i'm afraid
that someone else
will hear me

trade me!
lazy dragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery