Film Review & Discussion

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: Film Review & Discussion

Postby Salsaverde » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:28 pm

polerberr wrote:Zitrone, you've nicely summed up my thoughts of The Hobbit.

Shadedrifter, you're so luck to have been in a near empty showing! I always watch films at my local Pathe cinema. It's a popular cinema, and it's in a city. It's almost impossible to catch a quiet showing. I'd go to the smaller cinemas, but I just can't afford it. Pathe offers a deal where if you pay 20 euro a month, you get unlimited access to the cinema. Tickets here are pretty expensive, so you only need to catch two or three showings a month to be saving money. The only exception is a small extra fee for whenever you want to watch a 3D or IMAX film. I also get a discount on food and drink. ^^

I can't stand hearing noise that's not from the film when I'm watching one. So my biggest problem with cinemas in general is the sale of popcorn. Like, really? That's one of the loudest freaking foods out there, along with chips! It makes people crunch and smack, and it lasts almost the entire movie for the people that buy a large portion (usually for themselves, and then leave it only half finished on the cinema floor when they leave instead of just bringing it to the bins which are right outside...). I totally understand that some films are so mind-numbing, having something to eat really helps. Mostly talking about those summer action flicks or mediocre YA fictions. The ones you forget about after a year. Other than that, I actually think it's rude. When I went to see 12 Years a Slave, a few people had bought popcorn. I guess nobody was expecting it to be an intense but often quiet film. Everybody left the cinema with full boxes of popcorn. The only person that did decide to crunch during the film was actually asked to shush by someone sitting next to him... That should happen more often. I think some showings should not be allowed to have popcorn or chips. I know I might be being extreme here, but you know there was actually a ban on purchasing any snacks for the original showings of Schindler's List (I feel like I bring that movie up too much P:). For some movies it's just outright disrespectful... Just have something to eat before you go out...

I barely have problems with people being loud in movie theaters. Perks of growing up in a rural area. But every once in a while there's that loud group of kids (usually) who you just want to walk up to their seats and slap. Have some respect for the film, especially ones about important and often hard-to-watch historic times in our world's history such as slavery and World War II as mentioned.

Even then, I don't really like going to movie theaters. If I do, I rarely get snacks either. Just not my cup of tea. The seats are, more often than not, extremely uncomfortable, and I prefer to watch movies alone. It even bugs me to watch movies with my family sometimes.

Shadedrifter wrote:That was what didn't make Star Wars Episode VII feel near as amazing, the cinema was practically full and not only that the movie was delayed by 20 minutes... but you could just hear the audience the whole time and see it of course. Especially at the Han scene, oh and of course the constant laughter every time a joke was shown. After the movie ended there was also popcorn everywhere, like how hard is it to actually eat it instead of throwing it around!

When I went to it, there was like, 10 people in the theater total. And I went on the opening weekend too! It was all the rage for two months. I'd hear it get mentioned on the radio, TV, in stores, Star Wars this, and Star Wars that. Posters of Kylo Ren were (and still are) hung up everywhere! I just walked in Wal-Mart today and there was a whole section on Star Wars themed games and books. Like, jeez!, Frozen all over again.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens had that distinctive aura that we've all come to love. A classic lounge scene with diverse aliens playing an upbeat theme on their unusual instruments? Check. A new and improved planet-sized weapon which can destroy an entire planet(s)? Check. An underdog that emerges from a desert planet with a strong association with the Force that is to be revealed? Check. An epic showdown as the finale between a hero and their newfound archenemy that includes your favorite crystal-powered plasma blades? Check! This new installment of the Star Wars Saga brings you all of the qualities that the old ones became famous for, yet I felt it lacked in bringing much of anything else. True, it drew the fans crazy and obsessed. But anyone who dared to look past the layer of "Star Wars esteem" would see that there is nothing more than your average movie. No great classic was made here. Without the Star Wars name, it would be nothing more than a B movie.

I admit, the more serious reviews have been a bit harsh considering the high expectations set by the original films. Star Wars: Episode VII passed, but not with flying colors. Rey and Finn's relationship was not developed nearly enough. Their encounters were awkward and left critics cringing. If you took away the story of finding the missing and mysterious Luke Skywalker, you're left with the basic plot of A New Hope. It's nice to see J.J. Abrams bringing back some old elements, but I wish he could've made up a few to call his own. Poe felt like the only strong character to really shine through, but his character seems to have little potential for the next two movies. Kylo Ren's story unfolds after we learn of his disastrous training as a Jedi under Skywalker. He chooses the ultimate decision to kill his father, Han Solo, in a shocking, though a little expected, twist towards the end of this two hour and sixteen minute-long fantasy. This shows his growing alliance to the Dark Side, and proves himself to be a likely contender for the antagonist role of the films that are to follow.

Overall, I was pleased with what I watched, and decided to go back for another viewing. Note: You pick up a lot more the second time around. Anyone who's looking for some good-humored fun, with a little bit of action thrown in should be satisfied. On the other hand, someone who is expecting another dramatic and breakthrough success that the world witnessed in 1977 may be disappointed.

⌜ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌝
[female] - [video games] - [film student]
[science fiction] - [history buff]
[cephalopods] - [Christian] - [dare to play]

⌞ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌟

ImageImageImageImageImage

Katrina wrote:"May happiness find you and yours...
and remember that bad times
are just times that are bad."

in space no one can hear
‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ you scream ‍. . .
Salsaverde

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:03 am

That reads just like a film review. Do you have any kind of blog already?

I can see the following film becoming a rehash of Empire Strikes Back. I'm sure there will be some kind of big reveal as to how Kylo and Rey are connected (other than both being able to control the force), probably during or after a light saber battle between the two. I'll be happily surprised if there isn't. I'm all for bringing back elements of the original films, so the real fans in the audience can have some kind of an "aha, we've seen that before!" moment, but perhaps rehashing the entire plotline was a bit too much.

I know that there is some kind of a great example of a remake or sequel bringing back elements of the originals, but not overdoing it, but I can't for the life of me remember right now what that was. It may be Hannibal, the series. A lot of elements of Silence of the Lambs are brought up, but it is an original plot (up until it delves into the book Red Dragon).

I don't know about it amounting to nothing more than a B movie, though, if it hadn't been Star Wars. It was pretty high budget. B movies are more along the lines of Troll 2, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Sharknado, etc. I'd say that The Force Awakens would have amounted to a somewhat generic popcorn movie. Somewhat generic, because this movie doesn't star a white male as the main character.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shadedrifter » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:27 am

I deeply want to believe Rey is Luke's daughter, it seems to be a pretty common conspiracy theory too.

Other than that, I'm just excited for the next movies, I don't know about that spin-off movie set to be out this year though...

Quitting CS, all pets and items uft for FR/C$
Shadedrifter

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:27 am

I had to Google what you were talking about. I had no idea about plans for a spin-off. Being perfectly honest, my feelings are mostly negative. I don't like big studios milking franchises dry, and it feels like this is what Disney is trying to do here. I very much prefer quality over quantity. I'd rather have the three original Star Wars films than, say, 10 mediocre ones.

You shouldn't add to something that's already perfect. George Lucas of all people should understand this, but it feels like he hasn't learnt anything from his failures. That, and, I don't want the Star Wars fanbase to expend even more. Things that become too popular quickly become an annoyance. (Minions, anyone?)

Though I do accept that I may be incredibly wrong, and that this spin-off might turn out to be pretty cool. When I heard about Hannibal being turned into a TV series, I felt the exact same way as I do now, but when I actually gave it a shot I was majorly surprised, in a good way. Hannibal stars Mads Mikkelsen as one of the leading actors, and according to IMDb he'll have a role in this Star Wars spin-off, so I'll try to give it a shot if not only for Mikkelsen. (If you can't tell from my signature and profile picture... I really freaking love Hannibal. I'm even wearing my Hannibal shirt right now :lol: )
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Salsaverde » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:28 pm

polerberr wrote:That reads just like a film review. Do you have any kind of blog already?

I can see the following film becoming a rehash of Empire Strikes Back. I'm sure there will be some kind of big reveal as to how Kylo and Rey are connected (other than both being able to control the force), probably during or after a light saber battle between the two. I'll be happily surprised if there isn't. I'm all for bringing back elements of the original films, so the real fans in the audience can have some kind of an "aha, we've seen that before!" moment, but perhaps rehashing the entire plotline was a bit too much.

I know that there is some kind of a great example of a remake or sequel bringing back elements of the originals, but not overdoing it, but I can't for the life of me remember right now what that was. It may be Hannibal, the series. A lot of elements of Silence of the Lambs are brought up, but it is an original plot (up until it delves into the book Red Dragon).

I don't know about it amounting to nothing more than a B movie, though, if it hadn't been Star Wars. It was pretty high budget. B movies are more along the lines of Troll 2, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Sharknado, etc. I'd say that The Force Awakens would have amounted to a somewhat generic popcorn movie. Somewhat generic, because this movie doesn't star a white male as the main character.

No patience. No time. No blog.

For a few moments, there was this dark side of me (pardon the pun) that wanted Kylo & Rey to join up and like, conquer the galaxy or something. That would be an awesome evil duo (if Rey wasn't so perfectly... good ha!).

I don't know much about Hannibal stuff unfortunately. I saw Silence of the Lambs, loved it, and that's as far as that went.

Ugh! I could not, for the life of me, remember what to call those types of movies. I spend like ten or fifteen minutes Googling stuff and all that I could find was the phrase 'B movie.' But yeah, I agree. It's not quite the term for it.

don't even mention minions...

⌜ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌝
[female] - [video games] - [film student]
[science fiction] - [history buff]
[cephalopods] - [Christian] - [dare to play]

⌞ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌟

ImageImageImageImageImage

Katrina wrote:"May happiness find you and yours...
and remember that bad times
are just times that are bad."

in space no one can hear
‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ you scream ‍. . .
Salsaverde

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:20 am

The news about Alan Rickman just gave me a bit of a shock; I didn't realize he was even ill to begin with.

When I was 15 or so I used to have a huge crush on him. I loved him as Snape, of course, but there was also Sense and Sensibility, Love Actually, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, etc. I think he was a wonderful actor, and he seemed like a lovely person. I like to think that he was. (:

I'm going to watch Michael Collins today. It stars Alan alongside Liam Neeson. I'd planned to watch it before the news, but hey now all the more reason to watch it.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silverhart » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:21 am

Oh awesome! A thread all about film! ^^ Just... gonna sort of... shove my way in here. XD

Favorite movie, and why: Pfft... I can't pick just one. XD There's so many films I love for so many different reasons! A few of my all time favorites are down below in the 'Best movies ever seen' section, but I don't think I could narrow it down to even ten or twenty top favorites. It really just depends on my mood on any given day - I'm fickle. XP

Least favorite movie, and why: I've seen a lot of bad movies, so I feel this is also somewhat unanswerable. I feel tempted to say 'Fox and the Hound 2' despite not remembering much of it - all I remember is the hate I had for that film, and that I've never seen it since. It's probably not as bad as I want to believe it is though. I've certainly seen films since with much lower production values that obviously didn't even care.

Best movies ever seen: 'Ben-Hur' (both versions), 'Lawrence of Arabia', 'Gone with the Wind', 'Bambi', 'The Seventh Seal', 'Gold Rush', 'The Great Dictator', '12 Angry Men' (both, again XP), 'LadyHawke', 'The General', 'Day of the Crows', 'Prince of Egypt', 'Metropolis', 'Auntie Mame', 'Princess Mononoke', 'Watership Down', 'The Passion of Joan of Arc', 'The Flesh and the Devil', 'Bringing Up Baby', 'Inherit the Wind', 'Gandhi', 'Citizen Kane', (personally - I wasn't a huge fan of 'Citizen Kane' XD), 'North by NorthWest'... I could go on and on, and on. And I'm sure this list will only get bigger with time.

Worst movies ever seen: You know those knock-off animated films some companies make to make money off of a popular animated film? Yeah, those have probably been the worst. Some get me fuming mad at their utter offensiveness, while others are so structurally broken and impossible to enjoy even as a bad movie, I've literally fallen asleep during them. Watching and laughing at bad films is something of a pastime of mine, and normally I can at least find one thing about a film that makes it worth watching - even if it's just laughing at the badness. But a couple of those were such a waste of time I couldn't even tell you their titles.

Favorite Director:Hmm... I guess I'll go with Charlie Chaplin for now, though there are surely many other directors who's work I admire, I feel I haven't seen enough of their films to consider them a favorite.

Favorite Actor: Vincent Price, Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Gene Wilder, Spencer Tracy, Sidney Poitier

Favorite Actress: Rosalind Russell, Greta Garbo, Katharine Hepburn

Any Film Critics you follow?: Nope

So... I mostly watch a lot of old movies, and then animated films (if you couldn't tell XP). Especially foreign animated films. The last films I've watched have been 'Alice in Wonderland' (1933) (which was quite honestly, a bit scary XD), 'Two Arabian Knights' (1927) (a silly little silent adventure film), and for animation: 'A Cat in Paris' (2010), and 'The Painting' (2011).

My "current favorite" that I've watched recently was "Never Cry Wolf" from 1983, which I can't recommend enough. It was just a beautiful little film.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:16 am

You joined, yay. :D

Man your list of best movies ever seen is quite impressive. Do you ever just pick movies from the top 100 Rotten Tomatoes films to watch? It's a great list, calculated a bit oddly, but most of the stuff up there are timeless classics. It's a nice resource. ^^ I've seen a little over half of the movies on it. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/

(And yeah, now I am going to address most of the movies that you've mentioned that I have seen. I can't stop myself from talking about movies xD)

I really love 12 Angry Men. It's one of those movies that technically should be really boring, yet I got so invested in the story, it was over before I knew it. I mean it's shot almost entirely in one location (and a fairly boring location at that), but it manages to be so interesting through purely the dialogue. (Plus I kinda have a thing for Henry Fonda... I know the dude's dead now but I thought his eyes were really pretty in Once Upon a Time in the West...)

I think Prince of Egypt is so underrated. I mean it was kind of drowned out by the Dreamworks/Pixar release date war going on with A Bug's Life and Antz, but it was magnificently drawn, and the voice acting is incredible. The ending always gives me goosebumps. Exodus is such a badass book, whether you're a Christian or not. Another Dreamworks movie that I don't think gets enough attention is Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron. Ok, I wouldn't put it up as high as Prince of Egypt, but still, the soundtrack by Hans Zimmer gets me so excited whenever I hear it, plus I thought it was cool how the horses didn't talk! (If you don't include Spirit's narration).

Metropolis was such a strange movie, but I guess that's what's to be exptected with German Expressionism. :lol: I'm not sure that I entirely enjoyed it. I tried The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari too... I don't think German Expressionist films are my jam. Gotta give it credit for being a pioneer in SciFi though.

(I'm not a huge fan of Citizen Kane either, tbh. I acknowledge what it's done for the industry, but I didn't have the attention span for it e_e)

ANYWAY before I get way too carried away with that list of movies...

I brought up Antz and A Bug's Life when I was mentioning Dreamworks. Have you seen them? Which did you prefer? I mean, Antz was made as direct competition with A Bug's Life, and Pixar as a whole. It's an interesting story to read about. How Pixar came about and then how Dreamworks came about... And how none of these studios would have succeeded if it weren't for the success of Toy Story, God bless that film and all it did for 3D animation.

In the pretty/funny/happy/kids-film-yay-so-many-colors department obviously A Bug's Life wins... Story- and character-wise though? Honestly I thought Antz was the better animation. It was ugly, sure, but it just dealt with the theme of evil grasshoppers and worker ants better. It had more of a 1984 vibe to it which worked really well. I didn't think Woody Allen would make such a great ant, too... That's weird... But yeah... Antz rocks. I just had to grow up a few years to realize that. :lol:
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silverhart » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:37 pm

Yay! XD

I have not seen that list, but I have seen a lot of movies on it. XP

'12 Angry Men' is fantastic! Not only is it shot in one location, but you never learn any of the character's names until the very end. And yet, each one is so distinct. It's such an amazing film to watch. The acting and the writing are just... brilliant. I think that film started my fascination with old courtroom drama movies. XD

polerberr wrote:I think Prince of Egypt is so underrated. I mean it was kind of drowned out by the Dreamworks/Pixar release date war going on with A Bug's Life and Antz, but it was magnificently drawn, and the voice acting is incredible. The ending always gives me goosebumps. Exodus is such a badass book, whether you're a Christian or not. Another Dreamworks movie that I don't think gets enough attention is Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron. Ok, I wouldn't put it up as high as Prince of Egypt, but still, the soundtrack by Hans Zimmer gets me so excited whenever I hear it, plus I thought it was cool how the horses didn't talk! (If you don't include Spirit's narration).

I can't agree more. XD I love animated films and characters that rely more on expression and movement and visuals to express acting then dialogue. While it does have excellent dialogue, 'Prince of Eygpt' really shines at those moments when it's silent. By far one of my favorite scenes in when Moses is telling Tzipporah of his experience with the burning bush – the whole thing is in pantomime, told only with expert animation and music. It's such a short little scene too, but it's beautifully well done. 'Spirit' has a great array of scenes like that too! Honestly, that movie could probably work without any narration whatsoever. XD I think that's a problem with a lot of movies – relying too much on dialogue and not utilizing the visual aspect of the medium to it's full extent. I think a lot of those movies I mentioned as some of the best, do an excellent job of balancing the two (and a lot of them are heavy with dialogue, like '12 Angry Men', but that film also has wonderful acting that says a whole lot more then just what the characters are speaking). I'm a visual person, so I think those kinds of movies are what draw me to them.

I loved 'Metropolis' – it's usually at the top of the list when I recommend old movies to people. 'Metropolis' has such interesting history behind it as well. 'The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari' was also really interesting. I loved the sets in that film as well as the great ending. XD

I've only seen 'Antz' once or twice, so I couldn't really compare the two just off the top of my head. I have always preferred 'A Bug's Life' though. I wouldn't mind seeing them back to back someday.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:47 am

Yeah I always believe that if a film can show something instead of using dialogue, cut the dialogue! Though sound in film is actually incredibly important for more complex films. Apocalypse Now and The Godfather are great examples of that.

You really should watch A Bug's Life and Antz back to back. ^^

If you're interested in the story behind them:

Katzenberg used to work for Disney but left/was fired (I've seen different stories and I don't know what to believe). He and Spielberg teamed up and started their own animation company to rival Disney. Meanwhile Pixar had just released Toy Story and was working on it's next film, A Bug's Life. Now, Lasseter (Pixar guy) will tell you that he was telling Katzenberg (they were still friendly at the time) all about A Bug's Life, and that is how Katzenberg got the idea for Antz. Katzenberg will tell you that the story for the film was pitched a long time ago at Disney and slowly gained popularity; it was just a coincidence that both Katzenberg and Lasster picked it up. Believe what you will. P:

So Lasseter learned about Antz and made a very angry phonecall to Katzenberg. That's around the time that the release date war began. Disney originally pushed A Bug's Life to around the same release date as Prince of Egypt to directly compete with it and steal the thunder of Dreamworks' debut film. Katzenberg wasn't too happy about that and pushed his Antz animators to get the film finished before A Bug's Life. So both studios raced to finish their film first. Dreamworks won, but at a loss. Because the animation was so rushed, it looks pretty awful. Lots of dark colors and creepy looking bugs. The story itself is better though.

Pixar and Dreamworks still have little wars now and then. Shrek from Dreamworks was just an entire film making fun of Disney tropes and cliches. :lol:

I'd love to hear about the history behind Metropolis, care to explain or give some links to where I can read it?
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me