Least favorite book

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: worst book ever

Postby Strawberry-Ringo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:41 am

Madame Butterfly wrote: Slash fan? Bleach and Naruto fan at least, right? xD

Haha yes I'm a fan of both and slashing is great! XD
All my pets prior to 2021 will be available for trade as I wish to start fresh. :)
Strawberry-Ringo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby starstream<= » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:46 am

A Light in the Forest.
Read it in 8th and it was HORRIBLE. About some white kid who gets taken by Native Americans and then has to go home even though he doesn't want too. Never finished it. I think one person in the class read it and shared their sheet with someone else who shared it with the rest of us. Blech.
starstream<=

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby *Sunleaf* » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:11 pm

All bad books i have read i never finshed either because i cant pay attention to it at all!! :D
ImageImageImage
*Sunleaf*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby beth150 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:19 pm

the worst book i've ever read was Snap. I t was soooooo boring!!!
beth150

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nathifa » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Warrior Cat wrote:The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

We had to read this book for our school's Battle of the Books last year. It was horrible.

That book has a great meaning to it; The Holocaust.
Please send me trades, after WL pets.
Nathifa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lady Kiba » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:10 pm

Madame Butterfly wrote:Well, no offence to you Lit teachers... but its not just a rebelious thing. A lot of the classics are either [a] outdated and thus hard to relate to analyzed to death in class, making it impossible to enjoy [c] full of really weak female characters, and/or, [d] just plain difficult to read which is fine for those of us who do read a lot, but lets face it, most of this current generation of students don't read very well.

So it makes sense classics get listed a lot as "worst books" :D

[sorry for my spelling]

Addressing each of your points:

[b][A] I actually find classical books quite relateable. The situations the characters face are similar to ones we face every day, the circumstances are the only thing thats different. [B]The over analyzation is done to help you fully understand the significance of the novel in question, I know it gets tedious, but there is a point. [C]Weak female characters? You obviously haven't picked up a book by any of the Bronte sisters, In Wuthering Heights some of the strongest characters are female. [D]The wording can be difficult to read for some students, but if you read enough of it, old proper English will start to come naturally. ^-^

I know in my previous post I said that To Kill a Mockingbird was one of the worst books I've read. This had more to do with my tastes in literature than anything else. I do understand the novel's importance, I just don't care for the time period/setting.
ImageImage
Trade Thread | Hoards

I missed a good chunk of the summer event, please send trades!
Lady Kiba

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kingdom » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:22 pm

MewMewMinto wrote:the worst book I ever read was Twilight (i never finished it, cos it was so dire)

Amen to that.
Account inactive. Trades, messages, etc will not be responded to.
Kingdom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Relamune » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:10 am

The Conspiracy.. worst...book...ever!!
I'ℓℓ gυαя∂ уσυя вαcкѕ ωιтн муLIFE ɪғ I ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ﹗
Relamune

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TokalaLupe » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:02 am

i cant even remember the name of the worst book ever. But it was Kae, something....
i usually finish all my books, but this was terrible. Like, no reference to when it was set, didnt introduce the characters till about halfway into chapter 2, an entire 25 page chapter on the setting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it was terrible!!!!!!!!!1 :evil: :evil: :evil:
ImageImageImage
Save a life, click on an egg. :)
Image Image Image
TokalaLupe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blindcharger » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:10 am

Madame Butterfly wrote:Well, no offence to you Lit teachers... but its not just a rebelious thing. A lot of the classics are either [a] outdated and thus hard to relate to [b] analyzed to death in class, making it impossible to enjoy [c] full of really weak female characters, and/or, [d] just plain difficult to read which is fine for those of us who do read a lot, but lets face it, most of this current generation of students don't read very well.

So it makes sense classics get listed a lot as "worst books" :D

[sorry for my spelling]

I actually teach science, not Lit, but anyway... You do have some valid points about the "classics", especially about the weak female characters. It just seems like teens hate anything they are "made' to read, which makes sense. I don't like being told what to read either. I know that most of this current generation of students do not read very well, but good reading takes practice. I think allowing students to choose what to read and share with the class would encourage reading more. Oh, when I did teach English/Language Arts I often used music lyrics as a counterpoint to classic literature. For example, compare/contrast Linkin Park's "In the End" and Percy Bysshe Shelley's "Ozymandias" (or sometimes I use Kansas' "Dust in the Wind" instead of In the End, it depends on the class.
I like pie :)
blindcharger

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me