Least favorite book

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: worst book ever

Postby danibo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:50 pm

okay so ive been reading a lot lately. i really love most books i read,, but,,

night of the twisters by ivy ruckman.

we had to read this for battle of the books this year and it was confusing and terribly-written, but i guess thats only because i have a much higher reading level than my grade. it was just hard to follow - we had to have another person on my team finish it for me because i couldnt do it anymore.
danibo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby crona. » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:24 am

Personally, I hated the sequel to Mrs. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (whatever it was called). The romance felt like it was shoved in last minute. "Oh, we just got attacked by a monster that could have killed us? Kiss!" It doesn't feel right.

We have to start reading Stargirl on Monday and from the quick bits I've read of it, it sounds awful. The author writes things that deal with bullying and being left out, but his knolage of school comes from school in the 50s or 60s. And they take place in the modern day. None of his books look good, but we're reading Shakespeare after we finish so at least we'll read something good this year.

♧︎

-
crona.
he or him.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
toyhou.se
art shop
my site
┌─

♤︎

crona.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Comrade » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:12 am

Worst book by far was 1984 by George Orwell. I could follow it, and I barely made it in halfway. I just couldnt get any imagery out of it. I'm honestly shocked its ranked as one of the best books written!

~ ☾ - she/her - usa - INFP - ☽ ~

~ During the school year I am slow replying to PMs and trades ~
Comrade

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: worst book ever--Ranting About YA Fiction

Postby The Worst Username » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:27 am

Here's a list of series and one book that I particularly disliked: Hunger Games, Divergent, Harry Potter, A Prayer for Owen Meany (religious morals get shoved in your face and the main character is obnoxious), Red Queen, The Selection, Warrior Cats, and Lord of the Rings. These are some really unpopular opinions, but I found the series on this list to be dull, repetitive, and brimming with cookie-cutter characters.

Here's some books that I absolutely loved: 1984, Slaughter House Five, The Kite Runner, Breakfast of Champions, The Book Thief, Station Eleven, and many more that I can't even think of. These all have strong morals, and all of them (with the exception of 1984) feature realistic, well-developed characters. If you haven't read them, please do; they're fantastic.

This sounds strange coming from a teenager, but I despise pretty much every YA dystopia; I love the classics and books written for adults.

The range YA fiction covers gets smaller and smaller every day. Every single book seems to be a trilogy about an angsty, unpopular, straight, white, teenage girl with special powers about 3 years older than the target audience.

The books tend to follow the formula of 1., MC complains about how much her life sucks despite being in the upper/middle class of a dystopia, 2., MC finds out that the (always Communist, always atheistic and always science-driven) government is evil--this is problematic for me mostly because it seems to send the message that "atheism and science are bad", 3., MC runs away from her loving, albeit "lame" nuclear family to join some tortured bad boy on his quest to defeat the evil, atheistic Communists, 4., MC goes through a tedious training phase where she finds out about her special talent/power--the token black character is often introduced here, 5., pages and pages of literal terrorism with many lives destroyed by the so-called "heroes", 6., the evil Communists plus everyone in the main cast (usually but not always excluding the MC and love interest) die, and society is somehow better off due to this bloodshed and property damage.

In general, YA dystopian fiction lacks likable/developed characters, diversity, themes, and basic human decency. Most of the books are a formulaic parade of gory fight scenes, flat characters, death, romance, and wish fulfillment for readers.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kishas » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:59 am

I really didn't like The Outsiders. I loved it, but we had to read it for a class project (by we I mean my entire class) and I found it particularly stressful. I got an F on it... ;-;
kishas

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Vansire. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:00 am

My life is the worst story i've ever read.

Image Image Image Image
Vansire.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: worst book ever--Ranting About YA Fiction

Postby MagicSpyglass » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:04 am

The Worst Username wrote:Here's a list of series and one book that I particularly disliked: Hunger Games, Divergent, Harry Potter, A Prayer for Owen Meany (religious morals get shoved in your face and the main character is obnoxious), Red Queen, The Selection, Warrior Cats, and Lord of the Rings. These are some really unpopular opinions, but I found the series on this list to be dull, repetitive, and brimming with cookie-cutter characters.

Here's some books that I absolutely loved: 1984, Slaughter House Five, The Kite Runner, Breakfast of Champions, The Book Thief, Station Eleven, and many more that I can't even think of. These all have strong morals, and all of them (with the exception of 1984) feature realistic, well-developed characters. If you haven't read them, please do; they're fantastic.

This sounds strange coming from a teenager, but I despise pretty much every YA dystopia; I love the classics and books written for adults.

The range YA fiction covers gets smaller and smaller every day. Every single book seems to be a trilogy about an angsty, unpopular, straight, white, teenage girl with special powers about 3 years older than the target audience.

The books tend to follow the formula of 1., MC complains about how much her life sucks despite being in the upper/middle class of a dystopia, 2., MC finds out that the (always Communist, always atheistic and always science-driven) government is evil--this is problematic for me mostly because it seems to send the message that "atheism and science are bad", 3., MC runs away from her loving, albeit "lame" nuclear family to join some tortured bad boy on his quest to defeat the evil, atheistic Communists, 4., MC goes through a tedious training phase where she finds out about her special talent/power--the token black character is often introduced here, 5., pages and pages of literal terrorism with many lives destroyed by the so-called "heroes", 6., the evil Communists plus everyone in the main cast (usually but not always excluding the MC and love interest) die, and society is somehow better off due to this bloodshed and property damage.

In general, YA dystopian fiction lacks likable/developed characters, diversity, themes, and basic human decency. Most of the books are a formulaic parade of gory fight scenes, flat characters, death, romance, and wish fulfillment for readers.

THANK YOU FOR THIS. I was trying to say this, but apparently I came off a bit pretentious, and I agree with that. Many of the bad books that you have listed I have been trying to avoid because I just have a bad feeling about them in general (besides warrior cats, I have experience roleplaying as warrior cats on roblox and animal jam, but I just find it boring now.)

When I write best sellers, they won't be like any of those contrived, trashy novels. They will be interesting and they will have amazing worlds, characters, and plots which shall suck the reader in. Hopefully I can cause a young adult renaissance. I could just be a bit egoistic, but either way I will write something amazing.

Hello! I'm Chloe, I'm a adult Autistic girl! I have a lot of special interests :3
MagicSpyglass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:04 pm

@ the worst username, I disagree with a lot of what you said but you reminded me of how much I hated Red Queen. Ughhhh that book was just...not my thing. I love YA novels and I heard a lot of people raving about it but then I tried to read it and just nope. I found the writing to be pretty bad, main character was uninteresting, story was bland and none of those things ever got better.
On the plus side, the cover art is beautiful lol. At least the book looks good on my shelf
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Lion Queen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:49 am

kishas wrote:I really didn't like The Outsiders. I loved it, but we had to read it for a class project (by we I mean my entire class) and I found it particularly stressful. I got an F on it... ;-;

I'm pretty sure I have to read it for English next year...I'm scared DX
previously alexterri
The Lion Queen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby scoopyfrog » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:55 am

The Lion Queen wrote:
kishas wrote:I really didn't like The Outsiders. I loved it, but we had to read it for a class project (by we I mean my entire class) and I found it particularly stressful. I got an F on it... ;-;

I'm pretty sure I have to read it for English next year...I'm scared DX

I'm incredibly disappointed that school is causing kids to dislike reading and wonderful books. The Outsiders is one of my absolute favorites; it has sympathetic characters, an engaging plot, and the fact that it was written by a sixteen year old is amazing. The school system needs to learn to motivate kids to read and not force them for a grade.

On the subject of books I don't like, I didn't enjoy Eragon or An Abundance of Katherines.
I love collecting critters <3

- Magistream -
ImageImageImageImageImage

- Dragcave -
ImageImageImageImageImage
scoopyfrog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups