Film Review & Discussion

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: Film Review & Discussion

Postby koolkatkoolkat123 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:23 am

Shadedrifter wrote:I actually loved and enjoyed The Hobbit movies, I've read the book too and the only things I didn't like about the movies.. . Too much CGI in my opinion, I get it was supposed to be more fairy tale like than LotR - That's more rough in it. And the fact Legolas was in the movies, I have mixed feelings about that and the whole Tauriel story. And The Battle of The Five Armies was a bit.. boring, not even a quarter as epic as the battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Watch the extended edition of Battle of Five Armies, the battle is so much better, it shows the rest of the dwarves fighting, and Billy Connolly has more lines
Trying to get back into roleplaying, haven't done it for a while. I like roleplaying wolves but they have to be realistic so no alpha beta delta and especially no healer ranks. I like big cats, horses, cats. I like roleplaying warrior cats. I don't play a lot with human characters unless they're shapeshifters or dragon riders.

So if you have a roleplay that needs more members send me a PM.
koolkatkoolkat123

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shadedrifter » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:25 am

koolkatkoolkat123 wrote:
Shadedrifter wrote:I actually loved and enjoyed The Hobbit movies, I've read the book too and the only things I didn't like about the movies.. . Too much CGI in my opinion, I get it was supposed to be more fairy tale like than LotR - That's more rough in it. And the fact Legolas was in the movies, I have mixed feelings about that and the whole Tauriel story. And The Battle of The Five Armies was a bit.. boring, not even a quarter as epic as the battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Watch the extended edition of Battle of Five Armies, the battle is so much better, it shows the rest of the dwarves fighting, and Billy Connolly has more lines

There's an extended version? How have I never heard of this D:

Quitting CS, all pets and items uft for FR/C$
Shadedrifter

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:30 am

I suppose we can be happy that Jackson did at least decide to include the battle itself in the movie, though. Tolkien kind of got lazy, haha. "And then Bilbo hit his head on a rock and woke up after all of the action. The End." I suppose, writing it as a children's book, maybe he thought describing a large battle might be too mature?

And yes, that story with Tauriel and Legolas (and Kili) did not sit right with me. Part of me was happy to see Orlando Bloom as Legolas again, but the other part of me was mad that Jackson was just milking the series. Legolas did not really serve a purpose. I'm happy that Viggo Mortensen turned down his offer to appear in the Hobbit films.

I always feel that the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies can be likened to the original Star Wars trilogy and the Star Wars prequels. The old ones are timeless classics, and the new ones try too much to stay hip and modern. (Exception of episode VII, I really enjoyed that).

How much do the extended versions add? Is it a lot? Or is it just a bunch of small details?
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shadedrifter » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:33 am

polerberr wrote:I suppose we can be happy that Jackson did at least decide to include the battle itself in the movie, though. Tolkien kind of got lazy, haha. "And then Bilbo hit his head on a rock and woke up after all of the action. The End." I suppose, writing it as a children's book, maybe he thought describing a large battle might be too mature?

And yes, that story with Tauriel and Legolas (and Kili) did not sit right with me. Part of me was happy to see Orlando Bloom as Legolas again, but the other part of me was mad that Jackson was just milking the series. Legolas did not really serve a purpose. I'm happy that Viggo Mortensen turned down his offer to appear in the Hobbit films.

I always feel that the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies can be likened to the original Star Wars trilogy and the Star Wars prequels. The old ones are timeless classics, and the new ones try too much to stay hip and modern. (Exception of episode VII, I really enjoyed that).

How much do the extended versions add? Is it a lot? Or is it just a bunch of small details?

Yeah Star Wars Episode VII did everything so great and I absolutely loved it, it seemed very much more like the original movies.

But yeah thank god Viggo Mortensen DIDN'T show up, it's bad enough with characters that has no purpose. The thing with Saruman, Gandalf and Galadriel though, so awesome :D

Shadedrifter

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby koolkatkoolkat123 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:39 am

Yeah the extended edition adds a lot and it is so much better, it's only 25 minutes more but good lord are they worth it.
Trying to get back into roleplaying, haven't done it for a while. I like roleplaying wolves but they have to be realistic so no alpha beta delta and especially no healer ranks. I like big cats, horses, cats. I like roleplaying warrior cats. I don't play a lot with human characters unless they're shapeshifters or dragon riders.

So if you have a roleplay that needs more members send me a PM.
koolkatkoolkat123

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shadedrifter » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:45 am

koolkatkoolkat123 wrote:Yeah the extended edition adds a lot and it is so much better, it's only 25 minutes more but good lord are they worth it.

I haven't seen them in stores ANYWHERE in Denmark :c

Shadedrifter

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Salsaverde » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:29 am

I completely agree with whomever said that the Hobbit movies are like the Star Wars prequels. An Unexpected Journey was a wonderful prequel to LOTR, but it went downhill after that. The Desolation of Smaug was... a disappointment. It barely followed the book and I agree that the Legolas/Tauriel/Kili love triangle was pointless. It was only there to attract the new generation of teens who enjoy romance. Like they desperately needed more fans. (<--- sarcasm) I think that the Battle of Five Armies cleaned up a few mistakes from the second installment nicely, but still not the ending everyone was hoping for. The Hobbit movies were mediocre at best. At least the original three were exceptional.

I think that The Martian should win for Best Picture. It had the right mixture of humor, drama, and action that a lot of people want in a film. The electrifying plot kept you intrigued the whole time. Ridley Scott knows how to deliver for an audience.

I'd write more but I'm short on time today.

⌜ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌝
[female] - [video games] - [film student]
[science fiction] - [history buff]
[cephalopods] - [Christian] - [dare to play]

⌞ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌟

ImageImageImageImageImage

Katrina wrote:"May happiness find you and yours...
and remember that bad times
are just times that are bad."

in space no one can hear
‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ you scream ‍. . .
Salsaverde

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shadedrifter » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:22 pm

Zitrone wrote:I completely agree with whomever said that the Hobbit movies are like the Star Wars prequels. An Unexpected Journey was a wonderful prequel to LOTR, but it went downhill after that. The Desolation of Smaug was... a disappointment. It barely followed the book and I agree that the Legolas/Tauriel/Kili love triangle was pointless. It was only there to attract the new generation of teens who enjoy romance. Like they desperately needed more fans. (<--- sarcasm) I think that the Battle of Five Armies cleaned up a few mistakes from the second installment nicely, but still not the ending everyone was hoping for. The Hobbit movies were mediocre at best. At least the original three were exceptional.

I think that The Martian should win for Best Picture. It had the right mixture of humor, drama, and action that a lot of people want in a film. The electrifying plot kept you intrigued the whole time. Ridley Scott knows how to deliver for an audience.

I'd write more but I'm short on time today.

The Martian was absolutely fantastic! And for someone who loves astronomy like me aaaah. Watching it in the cinema in 3D was just the best, especially since there was only 4 people, including me and my dad in there. it just amplified the movie experience when you couldn't see nor hear anyone.

Shadedrifter

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:25 pm

Zitrone, you've nicely summed up my thoughts of The Hobbit.

Shadedrifter, you're so luck to have been in a near empty showing! I always watch films at my local Pathe cinema. It's a popular cinema, and it's in a city. It's almost impossible to catch a quiet showing. I'd go to the smaller cinemas, but I just can't afford it. Pathe offers a deal where if you pay 20 euro a month, you get unlimited access to the cinema. Tickets here are pretty expensive, so you only need to catch two or three showings a month to be saving money. The only exception is a small extra fee for whenever you want to watch a 3D or IMAX film. I also get a discount on food and drink. ^^

I can't stand hearing noise that's not from the film when I'm watching one. So my biggest problem with cinemas in general is the sale of popcorn. Like, really? That's one of the loudest freaking foods out there, along with chips! It makes people crunch and smack, and it lasts almost the entire movie for the people that buy a large portion (usually for themselves, and then leave it only half finished on the cinema floor when they leave instead of just bringing it to the bins which are right outside...). I totally understand that some films are so mind-numbing, having something to eat really helps. Mostly talking about those summer action flicks or mediocre YA fictions. The ones you forget about after a year. Other than that, I actually think it's rude. When I went to see 12 Years a Slave, a few people had bought popcorn. I guess nobody was expecting it to be an intense but often quiet film. Everybody left the cinema with full boxes of popcorn. The only person that did decide to crunch during the film was actually asked to shush by someone sitting next to him... That should happen more often. I think some showings should not be allowed to have popcorn or chips. I know I might be being extreme here, but you know there was actually a ban on purchasing any snacks for the original showings of Schindler's List (I feel like I bring that movie up too much P:). For some movies it's just outright disrespectful... Just have something to eat before you go out...
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shadedrifter » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:02 pm

That was what didn't make Star Wars Episode VII feel near as amazing, the cinema was practically full and not only that the movie was delayed by 20 minutes... but you could just hear the audience the whole time and see it of course. Especially at the Han scene, oh and of course the constant laughter every time a joke was shown. After the movie ended there was also popcorn everywhere, like how hard is it to actually eat it instead of throwing it around!

Shadedrifter

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me