Film Review & Discussion

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: Film Review & Discussion

Postby polerberr » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:29 pm

Zitrone wrote:Favorite movie, and why: This question is literally tearing me apart right now. I'd have to go with Saving Private Ryan or Casablanca.

Least favorite movie, and why: Where the Wild Things Are, just because it's all I can think of right now.

Best movies ever seen: Lots of the ones mentioned already, but I'll add Alien and a lot of Steven Spielberg.

Worst movies ever seen: Where The Wild Things Are just because it really sucked.

Favorite Director: Steven Spielberg, with Stanley Kubrick as a close second.

Favorite Actor: polerberr, I feel like such a copy cat, but Tom Hanks. And Humphrey Bogart.

Favorite Actress:
SIGOURNEY WEAVER

Any Film Critics you follow?: No, but this is the career that I really, really, really, want to pursue.

Films are literally my life. I love them so much. Sorry if my sentences seem choppy and unorganized, but I'm having a moment here at my computer. I saw this thread and I'm so excited. OMGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But now on a serious note, I would love love love love love LUV to discuss classic films with anyone. Sci-fi is my preferred genre, but I love Westerns, War Dramas, a little bit of Horror (more like Silence of the Lambs-paced than Exorcist-ish), and other types like that. I'm not that big into comedies or sports films. I'll be sure to check this thread again. Thanks for making it!

Welcome to the thread!!!

I really love Saving Private Ryan. Just... So much. Steven Spielberg + Tom Hanks + John Williams, how could it possibly not be perfect? I love how easily those three can turn from exciting family adventure films to much more serious war movies, and not get the tones confused. They're so versatile, while also keeping a very clear "feel", if that makes any sense. It's why I also love Schindler's List. Those are tough movies to watch, but really worth it, and quite important too, I feel. I never felt anything when learning about WWII in history classes, but those movies were so moving, they really put into perspective how horrible war is. Just from the placement of shots, and the sound design, and the quality of the actors. The most prominent scenes that come to mind are obviously the opening of Saving Private Ryan, and that scene in Schindler's List where the female Jews are herded into shower chambers. He places the cameraman in with the group of women and has him walk in with them with the camera at eye level, so it feels as if you're there with them... I love how much respect Spielberg shows in making those movies, too. A scene in Schindler's List takes place at Auschwitz, he had permission to film at the actual location, but he felt that it would be disrespectful to all of the Jews that were killed there in the past to recreate that for a movie. He had a fake Auschwitz built just for that short scene, even thought it would have been much easier to just shoot at location. I could go on forever, really. If you can't tell, I also really enjoy War Dramas (especially Vietnam films, they can be so surreal).

I haven't seen Casablanca yet. I know I should, and I will. There are just soooo many movies out there, it can be hard to keep up! e_e Sometimes I feel a little overwhelmed when I look at my to watch list.

Anyway this thread is just starting out, so I don't know who will be regulars here and who's just checking it out. I hope you stay! I'm thinking about picking a weekly discussion topic, ranging from genres to years to directors or specific movies? Idk yet. Classic film will have to be discussed though.

OH also, it's awesome that you want to be a critic! I'd really like to recommend reading Roger Ebert's film reviews, whether you agree with him or not (if you're anything like me you'll be agreeing with him a lot), he talks about films as experiences, not so much "acting was ok, special effects sucked, nice cinematography though". I really love it. He used to have a TV show with another film reviewer, but he became very ill and unfortunately lost his voice, so he continued writing reviews on his own website for a few years. He's since passed away, only a few years ago I think. I really hope to see more reviewers like him in the future. Here's an example if you're interested: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/saving-private-ryan-1998. His website is still being run by other reviewers, you'll just have to check who wrote it when checking out reviews. Pretty much all of the classic films reviewed are Ebert's.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Salsaverde » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:52 am

^^ I'm not going to quote, since it's a lot, but that was a beautiful review. Literally. <--- gaw I use that word too much

But anyways...

There's good movies.
There's great movies.

And then there's the movies that literally give you goose bumps just thinking about them. And not just the first time. Every. Single. Time. They're just that good.

Saving Private Ryan is one of those movies. I was watching Schindler's List (again) with my friend and I realized that when the women get dropped off at Auschwitz on accident, that that wasn't the real Auschwitz. I hadn't realized that before. But now after you told me why, it makes me love Steven Spielberg even more.

And I like your idea about picking weekly topics. Gives us something specific to critique. Haha.

⌜ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌝
[female] - [video games] - [film student]
[science fiction] - [history buff]
[cephalopods] - [Christian] - [dare to play]

⌞ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌟

ImageImageImageImageImage

Katrina wrote:"May happiness find you and yours...
and remember that bad times
are just times that are bad."

in space no one can hear
‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ you scream ‍. . .
Salsaverde

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:13 am

Zitrone wrote:^^ I'm not going to quote, since it's a lot, but that was a beautiful review. Literally. <--- gaw I use that word too much

But anyways...

There's good movies.
There's great movies.

And then there's the movies that literally give you goose bumps just thinking about them. And not just the first time. Every. Single. Time. They're just that good.

Saving Private Ryan is one of those movies. I was watching Schindler's List (again) with my friend and I realized that when the women get dropped off at Auschwitz on accident, that that wasn't the real Auschwitz. I hadn't realized that before. But now after you told me why, it makes me love Steven Spielberg even more.

And I like your idea about picking weekly topics. Gives us something specific to critique. Haha.

I get what you mean about those really powerful movies. As well as Spielberg's war films, I get that with Argo, too. I have no idea of course if you've seen that film or not, it's about the extraction of six American's from Tehran (Iran) during the hostage crisis? That movie had me literally at the edge of my seat for the last half hour or so (yeah I might use "literally" a bit too much, too P:). It has some moments of humor strewn in, so it is a little different from Spielberg's stuff, but it is based on true events. The parts that truly matter in the film are handled very well. It's fun when it's allowed to be, but is serious when time calls for it.

I'm not sure how to decide on weekly topics, so I'll take any suggestions. For now I figured it'd be cool to talk about upcoming releases. Anything to look forward to?

I'm personally very excited about "Silence". It's coming out this year, and the names attached to the film are what's drawing me in to it. First off, Liam Neeson is playing a primary roll. It is important to note that this is a drama, not an action flick. Liam Neeson doing drama is reason for excitement. Seen The Grey? That may have been one of the most recent dramas he's done. Dude's still got it. I am so excited to see him at his best again. The other name is Martin Scorsese. Well, now we know it's probably going to be really freaking good. :lol: A drama film by Scorsese, starring Liam Neeson, based on reality? Plus it takes place in Japan. Probably won't show Japan at it's best, though, considering the content, but still hopefully we'll get some nice scenery thrown into the mix.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0490215/
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Salsaverde » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:23 pm

polerberr wrote:
Zitrone wrote:^^ I'm not going to quote, since it's a lot, but that was a beautiful review. Literally. <--- gaw I use that word too much

But anyways...

There's good movies.
There's great movies.

I get what you mean about those really powerful movies. As well as Spielberg's war films, I get that with Argo, too. I have no idea of course if you've seen that film or not, it's about the extraction of six American's from Tehran (Iran) during the hostage crisis? That movie had me literally at the edge of my seat for the last half hour or so (yeah I might use "literally" a bit too much, too P:). It has some moments of humor strewn in, so it is a little different from Spielberg's stuff, but it is based on true events. The parts that truly matter in the film are handled very well. It's fun when it's allowed to be, but is serious when time calls for it.

I'm not sure how to decide on weekly topics, so I'll take any suggestions. For now I figured it'd be cool to talk about upcoming releases. Anything to look forward to?

I'm personally very excited about "Silence". It's coming out this year, and the names attached to the film are what's drawing me in to it. First off, Liam Neeson is playing a primary roll. It is important to note that this is a drama, not an action flick. Liam Neeson doing drama is reason for excitement. Seen The Grey? That may have been one of the most recent dramas he's done. Dude's still got it. I am so excited to see him at his best again. The other name is Martin Scorsese. Well, now we know it's probably going to be really freaking good. :lol: A drama film by Scorsese, starring Liam Neeson, based on reality? Plus it takes place in Japan. Probably won't show Japan at it's best, though, considering the content, but still hopefully we'll get some nice scenery thrown into the mix.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0490215/

I haven't seen Argo... yet. But I want too. Like you said before, the list of "need-to-see movies" is very, very long.

So far, I'm pretty excited for Finding Dory, Star Trek Beyond, Zootopia (just because the trailer at the movie theater was really funny), and Captain America: Civil War. A little bit bandwagon-ish, I know. What can I say?

I think a good topic would be to discuss upcoming Oscars and our favorites. What do you think?

Silence looks interesting, but not exactly what I'm totally into. Films that center their theme around religion can go a little... what's the word... wonky. But this movie definitely has potential. I'll be sure to look forward to it. Is it an indie film? I couldn't tell because imdb went weird on me. But if it is, my movie theater probably won't have it. I live in a sort of rural area, so they only show the big films.

⌜ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌝
[female] - [video games] - [film student]
[science fiction] - [history buff]
[cephalopods] - [Christian] - [dare to play]

⌞ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌟

ImageImageImageImageImage

Katrina wrote:"May happiness find you and yours...
and remember that bad times
are just times that are bad."

in space no one can hear
‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ you scream ‍. . .
Salsaverde

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:15 pm

I get what you're saying about film and religion. Some films try to bash the religion into your skull, or just become very cheesy. This being a Scorsese film, I don't think it will go overboard. I mean, this is the guy that made Goodfellas, The Departed, Wolf of Wallstreet, etc. I have high expectations.

I'm pretty hyped for Finding Dory, hehe. I love almost everything that Pixar produces, the exception being the Cars franchise. The rest of their stuff is so amazing though, I won't let my personal dislike of Cars ruin Pixar for me. Plus if the Toy Story sequels were amazing, I trust a Finding Nemo sequel will be, too.

I feel bad about this, but I am becoming less and less excited about Marvel movies over time. I remember watching the first Iron Man and I just fell in love with it. I watched all of the other Marvel films, and I was so excited for that first Avengers film. Ever since then I'm becoming less and less interested. I have no idea why. I'll still watch those films, though, hopefully they'll bring back the love for me. P:

And yeah, The Oscars. Totally did not almost forget that was coming up soon...

I guess we can make nomination/win predictions. ^^ I'll put the main categories up on my first post, and make a list of all the movies we mention for each topic.

The first film I'd bring up is Inside Out. Does that even have competition for Best Animation? It will definitely be nominated, and I have a hard time believing it won't actually win. People (myself included) went nuts over that film, and for good reason. It's so original, and I loved the music so much.

Either my memory sucks right now, or I don't feel like we've had as great a year as with last years Oscars? I have a hard time remembering any great movies that will qualify for this year. I suppose Black Mass will be nominated for Best Picture, with Johnny Depp landing (possibly winning?) the Best Actor award. OHHH HOLD UP I totally forgot about Bridge of Spies! That movie better have nominations in Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Original Screenplay. I actually want to see that movie win Best Picture. I just want to watch either Spielberg or Hanks walk up and accept an Oscar when I watch it live. Just once in my lifetime, please.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shadedrifter » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:06 am

Favorite movie, and why: The Lord of The Rings; Return of The Kings, it's simply so close to my heart. I've loved LotR ever since I was little, I always watched my brother and dad play the video games, and when i got old enough I watched the movies, and now reading the books. Not only that I think the movie is simply one of the greatest and most fantastic movies ever made, the battle near the end when Rohirrim rides, I always shed tears. The symphony is absolutely fantastic, all the music is so stunning. Gollum is so realistic and he scared the crap outta me, same with the Nazgûls. The battle scenes are so epic, my neck hairs still rise up whenever the last battle shows up.

Least favorite movie, and why: I guess I don't really have one, but the Eragon movie I hated a lot, it simply didn't do the books justice and I cringed.

Best movies ever seen: Interstellar, Forrest Gump, The Imitation Game (and lotr rotk) It would take me forever to explain why I think they are the greatest and best movies ever seen.

Worst movies ever seen: can't really think of any, SAW I guess. I don't like splatter movies

Favorite Director: Peter Jackson, Steven Spielberg.

Favorite Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Sir Ian Mckellen, Tom hanks, Patrick Stewart

Favorite Actress: Don't know to be honest

Any Film Critics you follow?: Nope

Quitting CS, all pets and items uft for FR/C$
Shadedrifter

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby koolkatkoolkat123 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:43 am

Shadedrifter wrote:Favorite movie, and why: The Lord of The Rings; Return of The Kings, it's simply so close to my heart. I've loved LotR ever since I was little, I always watched my brother and dad play the video games, and when i got old enough I watched the movies, and now reading the books. Not only that I think the movie is simply one of the greatest and most fantastic movies ever made, the battle near the end when Rohirrim rides, I always shed tears. The symphony is absolutely fantastic, all the music is so stunning. Gollum is so realistic and he scared the crap outta me, same with the Nazgûls. The battle scenes are so epic, my neck hairs still rise up whenever the last battle shows up.

Least favorite movie, and why: I guess I don't really have one, but the Eragon movie I hated a lot, it simply didn't do the books justice and I cringed.

Best movies ever seen: Interstellar, Forrest Gump, The Imitation Game (and lotr rotk) It would take me forever to explain why I think they are the greatest and best movies ever seen.

Worst movies ever seen: can't really think of any, SAW I guess. I don't like splatter movies

Favorite Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Sir Ian Mckellen, Tom hanks, Patrick Stewart

You wanna see something funny, this is what the animated version did to Gollum Image

I can't look at it without laughing, they made him a frog
Trying to get back into roleplaying, haven't done it for a while. I like roleplaying wolves but they have to be realistic so no alpha beta delta and especially no healer ranks. I like big cats, horses, cats. I like roleplaying warrior cats. I don't play a lot with human characters unless they're shapeshifters or dragon riders.

So if you have a roleplay that needs more members send me a PM.
koolkatkoolkat123

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shadedrifter » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:46 am

I think you just made my vision drop further. I need new glasses now.

Shadedrifter

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:50 am

Shadedrifter wrote:Favorite movie, and why: The Lord of The Rings; Return of The Kings, it's simply so close to my heart. I've loved LotR ever since I was little, I always watched my brother and dad play the video games, and when i got old enough I watched the movies, and now reading the books. Not only that I think the movie is simply one of the greatest and most fantastic movies ever made, the battle near the end when Rohirrim rides, I always shed tears. The symphony is absolutely fantastic, all the music is so stunning. Gollum is so realistic and he scared the crap outta me, same with the Nazgûls. The battle scenes are so epic, my neck hairs still rise up whenever the last battle shows up.

Welcome (: Lord of the Rings is such a big passion of mine, too. Howard Shore really captured the atmosphere of the books ("Concerning Hobbits" is perfect). I love how little CGI was needed to make the movies somewhat realistic. Really adds to the authenticity of it all. Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf could not have been a better choice. Being perfectly honest, however, I don't like Elijah Wood as Frodo. He came across as so pathetic compared to the Frodo of the books. Sure he's essentially not the hero, but as the main character it is still important for him to be acted well.

What did you think of The Hobbit and it's movies? I loved the book. I'd read it many times before the films came out, and I followed the entire production process. I was very excited to see it. With the first movie I had hope for the series. I liked the intro with Bilbo being played by his original actor, and Elijah Wood as Frodo in it, too (I hate it when a new actor is used for a character). A great way to start the film. Second and third movies I was majorly disappointed with. Too much CGI for one. What was wrong with costumes and make up? Those orc things were an eye-sore. Also the GoPro's on the barrels in the barrel scene? What was with that? It pulled me right out of the film. Honestly, the only things I liked about the last two Hobbit films was anything that was related to The Lord of the Rings itself, scenes with Saruman and whatnot. Smaug's death wasn't half bad though.

I'm hoping that users here can discuss Academy Award predictions. They start late February. Got any predictions for nominations?

And oh my god koolkat, that gollum is hilarious. :lol: I remember a few years back I was part of a Lord of the Rings thread here on CS. We watched the animated version of The Hobbit with that frog gollum. And Smaug kind of looked like a cat, haha.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shadedrifter » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:20 am

I actually loved and enjoyed The Hobbit movies, I've read the book too and the only things I didn't like about the movies.. . Too much CGI in my opinion, I get it was supposed to be more fairy tale like than LotR - That's more rough in it. And the fact Legolas was in the movies, I have mixed feelings about that and the whole Tauriel story. And The Battle of The Five Armies was a bit.. boring, not even a quarter as epic as the battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Shadedrifter

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me