Do dates really matter?

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

Do pet dates matter when trading?

Yes
62%
No
21%
Unsure
17%

Total votes : 84

Do dates really matter?

Postby Crazyclaww » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:37 pm

I've been wondering this about pets lately, after seeing some WILDLY varying trade rules :o
I see people saying that dates don't actually matter, and that they never really did?
That the pet rarities themselves are a succinct way to understand their value.

I'm curious if the importance of dates in trading is a concept that the player base just assumed, and now it's stuck like that?
or do dates actually help establish value?

I know it's probably just something people will always disagree on but..
idk I was curious to see opinions!
ImageImageImage
I'm Crazyclaww!
DMs and trades are always open <3
(check out my art stuff!)
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Crazyclaww

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Do dates really matter?

Postby oakhearted » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:42 pm

I think it does when it comes to december 18th pets.
But alot of people like various dates because it could be there birthday date etc.
So I'm unsure for the most part.
cheyne / adult / enfp-t / 4w5 / tritype: 495 / lawful good / sanguine [dom] / aest
carrd (main) :: carrd (cs) :: listo :: he/they :: toyhou.se :: oakhearted#8284 :: Image
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sig & pfp includes characters & ppl i kin | looking for new friends, hmu! | i'm in multiple fandoms ^^
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chicken Smoothie Resources: help forum > faq > site rules > wiki > contact staff
oakhearted

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crazyclaww » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:45 pm

Oh yeah when I say dates I mean, how some people generally value old pets over new pets
even if they have the same rarity :b
(omg that birthday idea is cool though i never thought of that...)
ImageImageImage
I'm Crazyclaww!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Crazyclaww

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby oakhearted » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:46 pm

Sometimes people value it like on Zodiac pets maybe, we can talk about this in dms?
cheyne / adult / enfp-t / 4w5 / tritype: 495 / lawful good / sanguine [dom] / aest
carrd (main) :: carrd (cs) :: listo :: he/they :: toyhou.se :: oakhearted#8284 :: Image
sig & pfp includes characters & ppl i kin | looking for new friends, hmu! | i'm in multiple fandoms ^^
Chicken Smoothie Resources: help forum > faq > site rules > wiki > contact staff
oakhearted

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tazmir » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:51 pm

Personally I think it does not *quite* matter. People like the old pets because, well... they are old. They are, in a sense, worth more to people who like to have the "original" old ones. For example, one pet I have is 5523 days old and it is for collectors of the old ones worth quite a lot more than the newer release ones. I am not saying it must be true they are worth a lot more, but that is sort of the mentality of things that has established over the years on here. It's also why I would not trade a Red Rose, for example, for any other extremely rare dog/pet/Re-Release Red Rose because I know I could get a lot more for the original old Red Rose.
It's... sort of a spiral down because the pets will only get more expensive due to that fact but unless you trade down the pets (which rarely happens as far as I noticed) newer users will have a hard time getting the more rare "dated" pets, because those you cannot "make" anymore.
XXXX||LIGHTS OFF||XXXX

Tazmir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby oakhearted » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:53 pm

Tazmir wrote:Personally I think it does not *quite* matter. People like the old pets because, well... they are old. They are, in a sense, worth more to people who like to have the "original" old ones. For example, one pet I have is 5523 days old and it is for collectors of the old ones worth quite a lot more than the newer release ones. I am not saying it must be true they are worth a lot more, but that is sort of the mentality of things that has established over the years on here. It's also why I would not trade a Red Rose, for example, for any other extremely rare dog/pet/Re-Release Red Rose because I know I could get a lot more for the original old Red Rose.
It's... sort of a spiral down because the pets will only get more expensive due to that fact but unless you trade down the pets (which rarely happens as far as I noticed) newer users will have a hard time getting the more rare "dated" pets, because those you cannot "make" anymore.

Agreed. It's similar to a OG or nostalgic experience like getting a piece of the good ol' days.
oakhearted

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AuroraFier » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:55 pm

I know it varies from person to person. But I've noticed date does matter to most because many people don't like trading down. A 2022 rare is, most of the time, easier to come by than a 2010 rare. I believe this is due to people coming and going on CS. Some people log out and never log back in again. Which is totally fine! The pets they have though, will most likely never move into the trading system. So, older pets are actually harder to come by as there aren't nearly as many on active accounts. Hope this helps...
🏳️‍🌈 Love Is Love 🏳️‍🌈
AuroraFier

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crazyclaww » Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:00 pm

@Tazmir
ah thank you for the input! I feel bad about that honestly
I sit back and wonder sometimes how difficult it must be to understand the trading system/values as a newbie
I've been here ages and I still get confused at times 😭

I know they arent valued quite as high but, thank goodness for re-releases, such a sweet idea
now if only ninja traders would leave the site and let newbies have somethin for once

@AuroraFier
Yo that's a really good point! I've never even thought of that :o
makes a whole heap of sense
ImageImageImage
I'm Crazyclaww!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Crazyclaww

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Darkcloud! » Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:03 pm

imo its a hard problem. there are less and less 2008-2010s out there, and some are made wildly over priced bc of hoarding and refusal to trade them away. its very difficult to find players who are even willing to trade them one for one with pets of the same year.

the new players NEED something to be able to compete with the olders without giving up half their pet collection for one rare from 2010- especially when you look at it as kids vs. 30+ year olds: the 30yr old 9/10 times will take advantage of the kid.

that for me is the base of the date problem: there were less players in the first 4-5 years, many of them are not online anymore, and those that are very rarely give up old pets without extreme overpay. theres more players now, but this devalues the rares that are released now bc there are too many copies (hoarding still happens, and can drive it up, but thats different) and makes the demand higher on old pets, meaning charging more = free overpay from desperate young people.

i personally dont care about owning true dates or specific time stamped pets, and the only time i would value a trading pet more is in the case of dec 18th re releases, bc the original pet is always worth at Least double what the rerelease is, simply bc one is actually from the correct year and the other is not. otherwise i could care less if stuff like monthlies are adopted on the first or not. they all grow up after all ♡

semi-active, missed years 2012 and 2013 entirely- about halfway to catching up!
Looking to complete years 2011, 2014-16 and 2021-23!
Darkcloud!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crazyclaww » Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:17 pm

Well put! and it's funny you mention adults scamming kids-
I am in oakhearted's DMs right now complaining all about that lol
it's honestly so embarrassing and gross adults take advantage
just so they can what, 'win' on a kids pet site? bleh

foreal though I wish there was an easy way to fix it
for now the weight of the world resides on the shoulders of people who gift pets 😩
ImageImageImage
I'm Crazyclaww!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Crazyclaww

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes