Guide to CS Rarities *update in progress*

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

Re: Guide to CS Rarity Histories & Rarity List: STORE PETS A

Postby amarok. » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:12 am

Aurora Storm wrote:
    BOOM.
    Store pet rarity histories are FINISHED and the rarity list is UP! Please let me know your thoughts or if you spot anything that needs fixing c:

*cough the raven dog is lower than i thought it would be lol cough*

honestly, the longer and longer this list gets the more ridiculous this all seems to me. the rares list was even more out of whack than i thought i think. demand is really getting out of hand. i'm still really mad about the pps dragon cat truth be told, so it has to be noted that i'm super biased lol

in particular i'm really surprised the arabian set are placed higher than the marionette and raven. i was around when the set came out and they were pretty popular then from what i remember. even now i see a lot of people looking for the Clydesdale in particular. of course the raven has always been more popular but it has to be said that in hindsight i've seen a lot more of them on the site. i was actually perusing through one of those store pet count threads just now though and it said something along the lines of they've found 30~ of each of the horses yet just under 200 ravens? of course we can assume a lot of players haven't reported that they have one of these bois (those with ravens would be more likely to be aware of such a count/more active in these site discussions i think) but even if we assume that only, say, a fifth or less of these players have registered their arabians with one of these counts, there's likely maybe 300 of these pets (obviously give or take) total on a site with at least half a million members. (how many people are even cs now? that's a good point as well.) most of the store pets i've managed to trade for are already registered on this page so i actually somewhat doubt that it's a proportion of active members as low as that.

here's the thread i was looking at. i'm certain you've seen it but here it is anyway, just incase any lurkers want the link. Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2579850&hilit=count

─────────────────────────────────────────────────
back after a long/involuntary hiatus! bear with me while i get my bearings again.
my pronouns are she/they.

i left a lot of stuff here unfinished and can't remember most of what i was up to.
please feel free to shoot me a dm over on discord at amar#8393. my inbox here
is still swamped and i'm a little too intimidated to go wading through it

amarok.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aurora Storm » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:22 pm

amarok. wrote:
Aurora Storm wrote:
    BOOM.
    Store pet rarity histories are FINISHED and the rarity list is UP! Please let me know your thoughts or if you spot anything that needs fixing c:

*cough the raven dog is lower than i thought it would be lol cough*

honestly, the longer and longer this list gets the more ridiculous this all seems to me. the rares list was even more out of whack than i thought i think. demand is really getting out of hand. i'm still really mad about the pps dragon cat truth be told, so it has to be noted that i'm super biased lol

in particular i'm really surprised the arabian set are placed higher than the marionette and raven. i was around when the set came out and they were pretty popular then from what i remember. even now i see a lot of people looking for the Clydesdale in particular. of course the raven has always been more popular but it has to be said that in hindsight i've seen a lot more of them on the site. i was actually perusing through one of those store pet count threads just now though and it said something along the lines of they've found 30~ of each of the horses yet just under 200 ravens? of course we can assume a lot of players haven't reported that they have one of these bois (those with ravens would be more likely to be aware of such a count/more active in these site discussions i think) but even if we assume that only, say, a fifth or less of these players have registered their arabians with one of these counts, there's likely maybe 300 of these pets (obviously give or take) total on a site with at least half a million members. (how many people are even cs now? that's a good point as well.) most of the store pets i've managed to trade for are already registered on this page so i actually somewhat doubt that it's a proportion of active members as low as that.

here's the thread i was looking at. i'm certain you've seen it but here it is anyway, just incase any lurkers want the link. Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2579850&hilit=count

I totally agree, demand is going absolutely bonkers at the moment. Especially for store pets, considering how low they used to be valued (x x x). And the arabian set were one of the first to be very rare from release, so I definitely think those guys are highly undervalued compared to store dogs.

I also think a lot of accounts with other store pets would be inactive by now, so they're even scarcer than we might think. In theory, you could manually count how many store pets there are on the site by checking pet IDs - because they're not re-released, there would be a set date range to search through. But that would obviously take forever and would include inactive accounts. The store pet count thread is probably the best alternative. Still an interesting thought though!

Right now the OMGSR store pets are equal in rarity to something like the Growing White July, but damn good luck getting a Drink Me/Eat Me for that price. Obviously they will eventually be rarer than even the zebras, but we're very very very far away from that; and we've already got trades like these happening (x x x). How much higher can demand go??

also yeah the pps dragon cat's "worth" really rustles my feathers too lol
╔═ · ✧ · ════════════════════╗
guide to cs rarities | trades | need help?
╚════════════════════ · ✧ · ═╝
Aurora Storm
General Helper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby amarok. » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:06 am

i've given up telling people they're overpaying when i see them offering a mid advent for one on the ftt. and urgh, kitsunes too. i've seen multiple sets go for toxics. literally just a year or two ago everybody thought they were ugly. now they're more popular than the shima ever was. and that's saying something because i had somebody offer me a balloon dog's worth for mine. i'm still not entirely over that either actually.

ngl, i spat tea all over my laptop when i saw that drink me trade. that seems insane to me. i'm not sure i'd agree with some store pets being valued as mere low advents because i know they're never going to be rereleased but there's a line between trading a carousel horse for a t7 advent (twice what it used to be valued at) and a '14 store pet far more people have lying around for an august.

i get that demand drives an economy. what genuinely concerns me is that there's nothing to keep this demand in line and i'm beginning to doubt that we're going to see it decrease on its own, especially now store pets are beginning to turn OMGSR. it also concerns me that omgsr rats are apparently now being traded for old septembers, which seems ridiculous. i have nothing against them other than the fact that nobody else likes them and/or will trade for them.

i was saying elsewhere at one point that not nearly enough people are putting their feet down about the huge demand especially for that darn pps but i can't see a conceivable way out tbh other than creating a new list of sorts where only rarity is considered and pushing that into the mainstream. the list mostly warped due to demand and a misunderstanding that the list didn't already accommodate for it i recall, but if demand is not considered to start with the values won't shift so far out of whack over time. that's mostly why i'm so hyped for this project.

back after a long/involuntary hiatus! bear with me while i get my bearings again.

i left a lot of stuff here unfinished and can't remember most of what i was up to.

amarok.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aurora Storm » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:26 pm

amarok. wrote:i've given up telling people they're overpaying when i see them offering a mid advent for one on the ftt. and urgh, kitsunes too. i've seen multiple sets go for toxics. literally just a year or two ago everybody thought they were ugly. now they're more popular than the shima ever was. and that's saying something because i had somebody offer me a balloon dog's worth for mine. i'm still not entirely over that either actually.

ngl, i spat tea all over my laptop when i saw that drink me trade. that seems insane to me. i'm not sure i'd agree with some store pets being valued as mere low advents because i know they're never going to be rereleased but there's a line between trading a carousel horse for a t7 advent (twice what it used to be valued at) and a '14 store pet far more people have lying around for an august.

i get that demand drives an economy. what genuinely concerns me is that there's nothing to keep this demand in line and i'm beginning to doubt that we're going to see it decrease on its own, especially now store pets are beginning to turn OMGSR. it also concerns me that omgsr rats are apparently now being traded for old septembers, which seems ridiculous. i have nothing against them other than the fact that nobody else likes them and/or will trade for them.

i was saying elsewhere at one point that not nearly enough people are putting their feet down about the huge demand especially for that darn pps but i can't see a conceivable way out tbh other than creating a new list of sorts where only rarity is considered and pushing that into the mainstream. the list mostly warped due to demand and a misunderstanding that the list didn't already accommodate for it i recall, but if demand is not considered to start with the values won't shift so far out of whack over time. that's mostly why i'm so hyped for this project.

I legit can only check the ftt a couple times when I come online before I just get too annoyed at the advice. Same with the vr/omgsr swap thread.. I just wanna swap store pets in peace without seeing the outrageous expectations for an eat me rip is that too much to ask.

You're saying everything I've been thinking, and I think a lot of people are too afraid to stand up to demand because it's just so widely accepted that demand = value and that's that. Something definitely needs to happen to rein it back a bit a lot and educate people on how rare these pets actually are. Demand is personal preference and the fact it's getting forced onto everyone has to stop. And that's why I thought it was so important to get this list made a spread around as fast as possible - there's so many projects out there for similar lists but most haven't had an update since February-ish and none have an actual list started. Having two separate lists for rarity and demand would be better than trying to mesh the two, otherwise it will just go down the same path as the Rares list. Which it seems most people still follow, or expect even more than the list.

The VR list is the one that's gonna take the most time, cause there were so many fluctuations in the earlier years and no complete archive of rarity changes anywhere. The monthly threads didn't even keep a record of each month's changes which seems silly to me. If it were me, I'd post the month's update on the thread as well as editing the front page so there's a history available if people want it. I guess no one ever thought pet values would get thrown out of wack so much. And now trying to push "new" values into mainstream is just going to be.. so hard.
Aurora Storm
General Helper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby amarok. » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:20 pm

so i'm not going insane then. good to know. :lol:

to be fair, i still loosely reference the list because i have little else concrete to go from and i think that's the thinking of most of the vaguely older players here. we're so used to having traded by this strict hierarchy of pets (and had it drilled into us at every turn) that to be perfectly honest i don't know how to do it on my own. i genuinely don't blame people for continuing to use the list; it would have to be a mass decision to turn away from it completely because otherwise the current "values" will still be in play and negate any good work you're really doing.

i absolutely agree! i've whacked a link into my signature it's due a reformat anyway lol and into my trading rules and i'll be sure to publicly reference it on the ftt/when i'm responding to trading help pms but i doubt that'll help too much lol. people trust what i'm saying over there for some daft reason but i'm hardly influential other than that. you could possibly pm a couple of the more trading orientated general helpers and ask if they'd be willing to look it over and maybe link to it somewhere, too, but i'd feel really awkward about doing that personally so idk lol. alternatively, you could harass reach out to a few of the other, bigger people who frequent the ftt thread and ask what they think of this new list. that'd be an excellent start, as the advisors there have much wider influence than players who keep to themselves and an active endorsement from well known players would really help. there's so many players on this site and it'll be incredibly hard to reach all of them but i think starting with the ftt, pet worth thread, etc, is our best course of action.

in the meantime, you're an absolute legend. keep it up! you know where i am if there's anything i can do to help c;

edit; i'd be happy to shoot the authors of the various guide indexes across the site pms about the list, too, if that would be at all helpful. i feel like that's slightly less intrusive than pming various plyers who may or may not be interested. ;) :lol:

amarok.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ThunderCedar » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:03 pm

I really like this guide.
This site badly needed a list based on actual facts for a change.

I can imagine finding VR changes will be a pain. I've struggled to, as well. There are guides that list a few, but not a single one is complete (I have checked - many pets are missing on all of them) and the way back machine doesn't always provide an answer either.
ᔱ ᔲ ᔳ ᔴ
ThunderCedar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aurora Storm » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:00 pm

amarok. wrote:so i'm not going insane then. good to know. :lol:

to be fair, i still loosely reference the list because i have little else concrete to go from and i think that's the thinking of most of the vaguely older players here. we're so used to having traded by this strict hierarchy of pets (and had it drilled into us at every turn) that to be perfectly honest i don't know how to do it on my own. i genuinely don't blame people for continuing to use the list; it would have to be a mass decision to turn away from it completely because otherwise the current "values" will still be in play and negate any good work you're really doing.

i absolutely agree! i've whacked a link into my signature it's due a reformat anyway lol and into my trading rules and i'll be sure to publicly reference it on the ftt/when i'm responding to trading help pms but i doubt that'll help too much lol. people trust what i'm saying over there for some daft reason but i'm hardly influential other than that. you could possibly pm a couple of the more trading orientated general helpers and ask if they'd be willing to look it over and maybe link to it somewhere, too, but i'd feel really awkward about doing that personally so idk lol. alternatively, you could harass reach out to a few of the other, bigger people who frequent the ftt thread and ask what they think of this new list. that'd be an excellent start, as the advisors there have much wider influence than players who keep to themselves and an active endorsement from well known players would really help. there's so many players on this site and it'll be incredibly hard to reach all of them but i think starting with the ftt, pet worth thread, etc, is our best course of action.

in the meantime, you're an absolute legend. keep it up! you know where i am if there's anything i can do to help c;

edit; i'd be happy to shoot the authors of the various guide indexes across the site pms about the list, too, if that would be at all helpful. i feel like that's slightly less intrusive than pming various plyers who may or may not be interested. ;) :lol:

Oh 100%, I think the list is still good to have as a reference. I actually have it side by side with this omgsr list on my trade thread for quick comparisons. It really was just getting too warped in the end, which is a shame because it's so widely accepted.

I have no idea who the big players are these days lol but that is a good idea. I mentioned it on the collection discussion thread but I feel kinda awkward "promoting" it myself, guess I'm still worried people will disagree with it. That would be awesome if you could message guide authors though! And thanks so much for helping push it out there c:

Dioxeon wrote:I really like this guide.
This site badly needed a list based on actual facts for a change.

I can imagine finding VR changes will be a pain. I've struggled to, as well. There are guides that list a few, but not a single one is complete (I have checked - many pets are missing on all of them) and the way back machine doesn't always provide an answer either.

Thank you!
    Yeah I'm pretty intimidated by how much work the VR list needs. The wayback machine helped fill in a lot of gaps for store pet rarities, so hopefully it will do the same here. But otherwise I've found searching for pet's archive image urls works as well; since most posts on the rarity change threads don't include the names of pets, just images. Can't even tell you how many pages of those darn threads I've read through ^^"
Aurora Storm
General Helper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lufi » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:29 pm

Hi :)
I see, that you did rarity change list as well, on which I started work a month ago. :) I like detailed data, which you have here with all changes. I made lists only with a last and recent changes, if you want to use any data which I found there? :)
Because I saw, that some of your data/dates are incorrect (for example dog tag or moonswirl). I had them wrong as well. :D Cause a lot of members usually posted pets as "new" very rares or omgsr, but these pets already had that rarity before and a lot of pets was not even posted, when they changed. But way back machine helped a lot in this. ^^ Very Rare list is really huge and I still need to check some of VR pet's in my list as well. :D
But if you wont be sure with any change dates, don't worry to use/refer my lists. ;)
Lufi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aurora Storm » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:09 pm

LufikER wrote:Hi :)
I see, that you did rarity change list as well, on which I started work a month ago. :) I like detailed data, which you have here with all changes. I made lists only with a last and recent changes, if you want to use any data which I found there? :)
Because I saw, that some of your data/dates are incorrect (for example dog tag or moonswirl). I had them wrong as well. :D Cause a lot of members usually posted pets as "new" very rares or omgsr, but these pets already had that rarity before and a lot of pets was not even posted, when they changed. But way back machine helped a lot in this. ^^ Very Rare list is really huge and I still need to check some of VR pet's in my list as well. :D
But if you wont be sure with any change dates, don't worry to use/refer my lists. ;) ♥

Hey Lufik! Glad you like the thread ^^
    Your thread was very helpful with a lot of the store pet rarities I was missing, since they're not classified as "new" rarities. I have your archive and recent rarity changes threads up in my resources list, they've been great to crosscheck with information I've found around the site.
    Regarding the Dogtag and Moonswirl, could you tell me which dates are incorrect? I'll look into fixing the errors c:

Also I love the message you have in your signature, the message about demand needs to be shared! And of course, please feel free to use anything from this thread to help with yours as well <3
Aurora Storm
General Helper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lufi » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:24 pm

Aurora Storm wrote:
    Hey Lufik! Glad you like the thread ^^
    Your thread was very helpful with a lot of the store pet rarities I was missing, since they're not classified as "new" rarities. I have your archive and recent rarity changes threads up in my resources list, they've been great to crosscheck with information I've found around the site.
    Regarding the Dogtag and Moonswirl, could you tell me which dates are incorrect? I'll look into fixing the errors c:

Also I love the message you have in your signature, the message about demand needs to be shared! And of course, please feel free to use anything from this thread to help with yours as well <3

I will happy to work with each other ^^ This lists are important to do and share people, what this pets really worth. To show them truth!

Moonswirl and Dog Tag went both up in march 2013. I had issue to find correct date of these both as well, mainly dog tag which wasn't much posted on threads. But way back machine helped me here a lot (I tried so many combination here, to get these data :D)! Cause I found that they both were only very rare in February 2013 and under march 2013, they were both Omg so rare again. ;)

And thank you. Of course I found, that a lot of players was mad and salt about my signature. :D But I do not care. It's important to tell people truth. To try finally do something and get "demand" down again and undervalued pets get up, where they should be (like some nick pets, or some very rares which never were on the list but they had be there). ;)
Lufi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me