Recent Rarity Change List V.2 - May 2024

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

Re: Recent Rarity Change List V.2 - May 2024

Postby Mysticality » Fri May 17, 2024 9:09 am

Sorry if I shouldn’t ask this here or if it’s been asked before.

I understand how pets can increase in rarity but how are older pets decreasing in rarity when the number of them stays the same and the number of users increases?
boy why you so gnarp gnarp
Mysticality

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Juliamon » Fri May 17, 2024 2:11 pm

Mysticality wrote:Sorry if I shouldn’t ask this here or if it’s been asked before.

I understand how pets can increase in rarity but how are older pets decreasing in rarity when the number of them stays the same and the number of users increases?

"The number of them stays the same" isn't actually true when you consider how many older pets are rereleased on Dec 18. But even that aside, rarity isn't based on how many of the pets exist, but rather how many active users have one. So if an older member comes back from an extended absence and rejoins the "active users" pool, all their pets *also* enter that pool. And then if they trade any doubles away or trade EVERYTHING away and then leave again, that intensifies the effect.

Some math with arbitrary numbers for simplicity: Imagine OMGSRs are defined as "5% or fewer active users have one." If there were 100 users on the site and only 5 of them owned one of a certain pet, then 5% of the users have that pet and it is OMGSR; if an older member who owns one of that pet comes back to the site, that's now 6 pets to 101 users, and 5.9% of users have that pet. As a result the pet's rarity is higher than 5% and moves into the Extremely Rare bracket. If that older member trades it to one of the 95 users that didn't have it and leaves again, once they return to being considered inactive by the site there are now 6 pets to 100 accounts, or 6% of the users having that pet--again, even more common than before!
she/they, adult
Juliamon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mysticality » Fri May 17, 2024 3:37 pm

Juliamon wrote:
Mysticality wrote:Sorry if I shouldn’t ask this here or if it’s been asked before.

"The number of them stays the same" isn't actually true when you consider how many older pets are rereleased on Dec 18. But even that aside, rarity isn't based on how many of the pets exist, but rather how many active users have one. So if an older member comes back from an extended absence and rejoins the "active users" pool, all their pets *also* enter that pool. And then if they trade any doubles away or trade EVERYTHING away and then leave again, that intensifies the effect.

Some math with arbitrary numbers for simplicity: Imagine OMGSRs are defined as "5% or fewer active users have one." If there were 100 users on the site and only 5 of them owned one of a certain pet, then 5% of the users have that pet and it is OMGSR; if an older member who owns one of that pet comes back to the site, that's now 6 pets to 101 users, and 5.9% of users have that pet. As a result the pet's rarity is higher than 5% and moves into the Extremely Rare bracket. If that older member trades it to one of the 95 users that didn't have it and leaves again, once they return to being considered inactive by the site there are now 6 pets to 100 accounts, or 6% of the users having that pet--again, even more common than before!

Okay, that makes sense. I didn’t realize it was based on active users only. Thank you!
boy why you so gnarp gnarp
Mysticality

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pallastronomy » Fri May 17, 2024 3:58 pm

The two pets you marked as changing from very common to common changed last month, not this one
They were both already in my common groups when I rearranged for this month
My TFO LabMy Magistream ScrollMy Protochroma Profile

ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageMeowdy!ImageImage
ImageImageYou can call me Azure, Celeste, Elijah, or Koshka, and I’m an artist, animator, writer, and government certified moron. Feel free to drop in and say hi! I don't bite!ImageImage

Signature decor by Martith, Crasty-For-Life, King-Lulu-Deer, mairu-doggy, stardust-palace, RenIrako, Drawn-Mario, and peachkonpeito on DeviantArt! Go check em' out!
Pallastronomy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lufi » Sat May 18, 2024 2:11 am

Pallastronomy wrote:The two pets you marked as changing from very common to common changed last month, not this one
They were both already in my common groups when I rearranged for this month

it was weird to me, that only these two would went up from the whole update. i had to overlook them the last month. So I moved them in archive to the previous month.
Thank you :)
Lufi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tea~ » Mon May 20, 2024 2:48 pm

this may have gone from extremely uncommon to rare