Guide To Censoring Pet Images (Added Examples + Snakes)

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

Favourite Frog Litter?

I dont have a favourite/other pet
8%
May 2009 bwolves
10%
July 2015 rats
4%
Jungle Event chameleons
6%
Cave Event chameleons
10%
Halloween 2021 chameleons/hamsters
8%
Easter 2022 chameleons
8%
Camp Smoothie chameleons
8%
The hamster in a frog costume from Halloween 2020 specifically
18%
I like the items more
22%

Total votes : 51

Re: Guide To Censoring Pet Images (Posting Open)

Postby ElliLiv » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:43 am

Wow!!!
Thank you for compiling this guide!!!

hi, i'm elliv! ───
she/her, bisexual, adult ───
artist ───
colôniacontraataca/vinet saga ♥ ───
stay hydrated, and take care! ───
sign a petition to help cs! / cs safety tips ───
#FreePalestine #CeaseFireNOW / don't forget to do your daily click!
ElliLiv

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Celozon » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:01 am

I don't generally block images very often, but I have blocked a handful of specific ones in the past with various adblock extensions, and it might be good to explain how blocking the images may change how they view things in the forums going forward, since in my experience it completely removes any evidence that the image was there at all as opposed to there being a placeholder image saying 'blocked' or something like that which some may expect to happen. Especially for anyone who hasn't used an extension to block images before and aren't familiar with how it works, it may end up causing confusion for them going forward if they just add this to their adblock without realizing that ^^ Maybe showing some example images of before and after of common situations like the archives, a post on a trade thread, their own pet groups, or someone's signature. And an added note that if they do need to view the image for some reason (like maybe they are trading or deleting a pet and need to confirm its the right one) they can temporarily disable their adblock to view it.
ImageImage
Celozon
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby frogfan » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:05 am

Celozon wrote:I don't generally block images very often, but I have blocked a handful of specific ones in the past with various adblock extensions, and it might be good to explain how blocking the images may change how they view things in the forums going forward
-snip-

Thanks for the advice that's a super good point! I'll add that when I have some time!
frogfan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Concept » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:20 am

This is an incredible resource! I've always been a huge advocate for trying to make sure phobias of any kind are taken seriously and the work you've done in getting this set up with all the links for some common fears pre-listed is incredible. I bet this will help collectors with phobias no longer fear their own galleries as much, too! It's a great idea for some extra accessibility that users can control on their own computers. I wish you guys the best going forward with this guide.
Concept
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Strange_Atoms » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:12 am

Eventually I'll have to bite the bullet and go through and compile all the pets and items that set off my trypophobia and this guide is going to be a lifesaver!
ALL GOOD THINGS FLOW INTO THE CITYImage
Strange_Atoms

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Palimpsest » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:30 am

Love this resource!
Palimpsest

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Minimanta » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:47 am

Concept wrote:This is an incredible resource! I've always been a huge advocate for trying to make sure phobias of any kind are taken seriously and the work you've done in getting this set up with all the links for some common fears pre-listed is incredible. I bet this will help collectors with phobias no longer fear their own galleries as much, too! It's a great idea for some extra accessibility that users can control on their own computers. I wish you guys the best going forward with this guide.

I agree that phobias should be taken seriously however I disagree shielding yourself from your phobia is taking it seriously.

Exposure therapy is usually the way to go especially with animal phobias like spiders and snakes and whatnot.
Slow and steady just try to learn about whatever you are afraid of. Completely removing yourself from your phobia just makes the fear worse.
Knowledge and exposure among other things are powerful tools to overcome your phobias, not censoring silly pixels on the internet.

There are several pets on CS I would rather never look at again but I would never consider blocking the images.

But to each their own I guess.
If you can dream it, you can do it ~~ Walter Elias Disney
ImageImageImage
For every one minute you don't smile, you lose 60 seconds of happiness
Minimanta

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Squecca » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:35 pm

Thank you so much for this, frogfan! You're amazing!!! :D

Minimanta wrote:
Concept wrote:This is an incredible resource! I've always been a huge advocate for trying to make sure phobias of any kind are taken seriously and the work you've done in getting this set up with all the links for some common fears pre-listed is incredible. I bet this will help collectors with phobias no longer fear their own galleries as much, too! It's a great idea for some extra accessibility that users can control on their own computers. I wish you guys the best going forward with this guide.

I agree that phobias should be taken seriously however I disagree shielding yourself from your phobia is taking it seriously.

Exposure therapy is usually the way to go especially with animal phobias like spiders and snakes and whatnot.
Slow and steady just try to learn about whatever you are afraid of. Completely removing yourself from your phobia just makes the fear worse.
Knowledge and exposure among other things are powerful tools to overcome your phobias, not censoring silly pixels on the internet.

There are several pets on CS I would rather never look at again but I would never consider blocking the images.

I am unfortunately very experienced with phobias. This may help put it in perspective for you on why/how this censorship can be helpful:
1. Avoidance behaviors DO make phobias worse long-term, but so can unexpected and uncontrolled exposure.
2. Letting pets be uncensored on CS is not exposure therapy. Real exposure therapy would be a lot slower and take months or years. For example, if you're going through exposure therapy for a spider phobia, before you see malk spiders, you should be completely and 100% comfortable with seeing the word "spider" and similar words, fuzzies that can resemble spiders from a distance, very cartoony spiders, etc. Malk spiders would be nowhere near the first steps in exposure therapy.
3. People with phobias should work with their therapists. It is not CS's job to force you to look at spider images if you want to keep using the site.
4. A therapist would likely advise censoring those triggering images if doing proper exposure therapy, as "skipping ahead" with exposure therapy worsens phobias.
5. Using words like "silly pixels" comes off as quite condescending. I know it's hard to wrap your head around phobias since they're inherently irrational and excessive, but they are serious anxiety disorders. I've seen CS users say that seeing certain pets made them vomit, or induced panic attacks which could require hospitalization and medication.
I think it's best to let individual people customize their experiences so they can get the best benefits, treatments, and success.
Image Image
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Guide To Censoring Pet Images (Added Examples + Snakes)

Postby frogfan » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:45 pm

Thank you all so much for the support and feedback! It means a lot to me that I'm able to share something that's really improvied my experience. I finally have some more time so I'll work on creating the new section! Again, anyone is free to reach out to me if they have a request

EDIT: Finally added a section going over visual changes, and a section going over how to disable the extension. Thank you so much for the feedback!

Also, i just wanted to let anyone know who's reading this that you can censor images for WHATEVER reason you want. This is all happening on your own computer, under your own control and affects absolutely no one else. This is a tool that anyone can use, at any time, and for any reason. You don't have to have a phobia or a trigger to customize your experience

Minimanta wrote:I agree that phobias should be taken seriously however I disagree shielding yourself from your phobia is taking it seriously.

I've actually been in and out of exposure theory for my phobia. The most important thing about that for me has been the feeling of control and safety.

It's a very slow process, and the first step with phobias like mine is even being comfortable around the very concept. I will literally pass out if someone around me discusses my phobia for an extended period of time.

With phobias, it's really hard to build up neutral or positive interactions with the subject, and a negative interaction has So Much more weight to it. Having a bad experience or seeing an image before you're ready can easily have you lose progress. It's important for me to be in the right headspace, know that I'm safe, and know that I can end it at any time. Otherwise the fear response takes over and I'm more reluctant to try and take steps next time

I wanted to share this tool to give people the freedom to control their chicken smoothie experience. Working on phobias is long, scary work. It's not my place to judge where someone is on their journey, or decide if exposure therapy would even be a feasible option for them. It's okay if you don't need or want to use these methods, but for some people it's very helpful!
frogfan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me