Paperclip Challenge Discussion Thread

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

Re: Paperclip Challenge Discussion Thread

Postby ThunderCedar » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:25 pm

xmaug wrote:What I've been doing is I have been giving away all the rares I get from it. I don't think "The Kindness Of Others" should just benefit the person who feels like copy pasting a message to 300 different people. It should be to benefit the kind people who helped them.

This is exactly the kind of paper clip I'll be thrilled to help out with.
Other than that, I'd rather give out free gifts than help someone out with a paper clip challenge. It just feels rude to demand overpay even if it's just by a few month.

I've had a few people offer me 1 older rare/vr pet and be like "hi I'm doing the paper clip challenge and I would like any list pet for this thanks!" That's not fair trading.

And it still feels wrong to start out with an omgsc pet and end up with a main list even if it's done by taking gradual overpay from others. It is still essentially trading an omgsc for a list pet in my mind but that is just my opinion.
ᔱ ᔲ ᔳ ᔴ
ThunderCedar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spearow » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:31 pm

^ Yeah I never mention if I’m doing a paperclip. I jist offer a fair trade to someone if my paperclip pet is on their wishlist. I start with an ‘09 rare and I don’t worry about their pet being terribly older, as long as its a month older. Then they are getting a pet they were missing, and I have a pet one month older than before. xD I never ask people “oh hey doing this ‘challenge’ but really just want a handout.” Thats what a lot of people do. .-.
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
xx
xxxImage
xx
xxx
❥ Trade me?
xxstatus: tired
x x
xxtradesisolistoAuction
xx➵ Looking for wishlist!
Spearow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eaglespirit » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:36 pm

I see a few people using '09 rares+ to start with
Not sure if I view that as 'cheating' or not xD
it certainly makes it easier if you're able

And saying you're doing the challenge usually results in an instant cancel, better to be a silent but deadly paperclipper it seems :I
Currently Collecting:
Cats- 8 Left - Lions - UR Lion
2013 - ??
All Advent List Pets - ??

Trades/Chicken$ stores
Rares For Trade
1C$ Each
2 For 1C$ 2C$ and Over
Eaglespirit

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lil rascal » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:47 pm

Vixey wrote:
xmaug wrote:What I've been doing is I have been giving away all the rares I get from it. I don't think "The Kindness Of Others" should just benefit the person who feels like copy pasting a message to 300 different people. It should be to benefit the kind people who helped them.

This is exactly the kind of paper clip I'll be thrilled to help out with.
Other than that, I'd rather give out free gifts than help someone out with a paper clip challenge. It just feels rude to demand overpay even if it's just by a few month.

I've had a few people offer me 1 older rare/vr pet and be like "hi I'm doing the paper clip challenge and I would like any list pet for this thanks!" That's not fair trading.

And it still feels wrong to start out with an omgsc pet and end up with a main list even if it's done by taking gradual overpay from others. It is still essentially trading an omgsc for a list pet in my mind but that is just my opinion.

I agree, I love to gift people, especially newer players who need a leg up but a trade offering a pet I'm not interested in and asking for one of my much more valuable pets with a message about how they're doing the paperclip challenge just earns a cancel as it's no better than begging in my mind. Even if it's pets I'm normally not fussy about the mention of paperclip is more likely to earn a cancel than a why not.

Spearow wrote:I’ve gotten some rather rude trades from users doing this. I would like to suggest some tips at doing this successfully, while benefitting both parties.

• If you follow the three month rule, your trade is more likely to be accepted than year jumping. That is like asking for a handout.
• Try to trade you paperclip pet(s) to people that have them on their wishlist, they are more likely to accept if there is something in it for them. ^^
-snip

Trying to trade with people actually wanting the pet you're offering and trying not to be greedy rarity or demand wise is a far better way of doing it and also likely to be much more successful. Also not actually calling it a paperclip since a lot of players are sick of the paperclip antics, just call it what it is, a trade.

Looking for WL trades!

LOLO lights off now until next year, hope you enjoyed your visit :)
lil rascal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby VanyaDuvainel » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:10 pm

I agree that it's a much better strategy to find people who have the pet on their wishlist, since they're much more likely to trade you. It just becomes a matter of fair-trading your way up instead of begging for trade-ups ^^

I keep having this problem where people try sending me suggestions with 2010 rares, asking for help with their Paperclip Challenge (I joined September 2015 and don't have much trade fodder preceding that time). So I'd like to add this tip: if you're not trading pets on your trade partner's wishlist, at least make sure they have the appropriate trade fodder. Otherwise, you're just going to fill up people's trade centers!
VanyaDuvainel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby VanyaDuvainel » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:32 am

Bump.
VanyaDuvainel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby horchata » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:49 am

i feel like the point of the paperclip challenge (on cs anyway) that many people overlook is that you're kinda meant to,
    in my opinion, trade back based on the 3 month rule (like swap a may 2016 for a march 2016) because that's still fair within the three month rule but you're still technically trading up, but a lot of people send pretty unfair paperclip trades bc they think that's how it works? like i had one person send me a trade swapping their rainbow draft horse for one of my low lists because they're 'paperclipping', and even when i cancelled and tried to explain to them they still sent me the exact same trade a few days later lol

i have nothing against paperclipping (and i guess i kinda do it but not like... pets in their own group + saying 'hey im paperclipping can u help' i just do it monthly lmao (or i swap a way older uncommon for a recent rare and then have to kinda start working my way back all over again with a rare) bc honestly i think that's how it's meant to be/should be done

but everyone has their own opinions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ cool to have a discussion about this!
a gardener told me some plants move
───────
libra - hufflepuff - infp
forum game!

───────
but i could not believe it

horchata

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:08 pm

horchata wrote:
    i feel like the point of the paperclip challenge (on cs anyway) that many people overlook is that you're kinda meant to,
    in my opinion, trade back based on the 3 month rule (like swap a may 2016 for a march 2016) because that's still fair within the three month rule but you're still technically trading up, but a lot of people send pretty unfair paperclip trades bc they think that's how it works? like i had one person send me a trade swapping their rainbow draft horse for one of my low lists because they're 'paperclipping', and even when i cancelled and tried to explain to them they still sent me the exact same trade a few days later lol

These are my thoughts as well. I used to try to explain paperclipping this way whenever people asked "what's a paperclip" but more and more people beat me to answering those people and instead explained that paperclipping is just trading up and didn't add that paperclipping can be done pretty fairly--or even explained that paperclipping is trading up unfairly

-waves a white flag-
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby peachycupcake525 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:12 pm

I agree with @horchata and @nickjr. That's how I do it. I have a group for them, but it's locked and just so I can find them easily. I haven't been doing it for long, but I managed to get from very common to common with one pet by trading with the 3 month rule.
peachycupcake525

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby VanyaDuvainel » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:29 pm

I sent out a few trades when I first started the way other people did, where you randomly tried trading people and asked for a trade up. Actually ended up feeling guilty about doing it that way and started doing 3-month rule instead, haha ^^

Of course, I'm a rarity trader anyway (as in, I trade based on rarity only, which most people disagree with since demand and date can have a huge effect on trading), but I at least try to be as fair as possible with my paperclips. It's actually become quite fun doing it this way, and I've made some decent progress for what I started with.
VanyaDuvainel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me